Why the PS4 will probably not be named the PS4

You may also like...

1. sdfsdf says:

Stupid superstitions.

2. TelcoLou says:

Will it actually look like that concept picture?!??!? If so, WOW! :D

3. YOBBODUDE says:

HAHHAHAHAA I managed to return my PIECE OF SHIT VITA and got a Nexus 7 32 GB motherfuckers

4. w7y7a7t7t says:

i hope orbis or orbix or whatever sticks, as that sounds pretty badass.

5. 9rockky says:

Playstation is really famous brand,so if not use this name
    for the console … really stupid idea.

6. stoneskull says:

they’ll use the name ‘playstation’ for sure.. just not 4, apparently.

i think playstation orbis is ok.. something like that

• DBG says:

Yeah, just like we have the “Playstation Vita” we’ll have the “Playstation Orbis”. It’s best to break the number cycle now anyway. Also Vita and Orbis go rather well together.

7. tiutslit2569 says:

Orbis roughly translates “the whole world”, so it’s definitely just a code name. I assume this means that the console will be very well connected, I guess, but it certainly won’t be released without an actual name.

• Hking0036 says:

That could actually be a pretty solid name if it works like that, because vita is life (at least I think) so it could kinda go well… (Just my thoughts)

8. aerinas says:

They should call it PlayStation 8 just to fuck MS up xD

9. Z3N says:

I agree with what stoneskull said. I think they will stick with the Sony Playstation part and they’ll add some crazy ending like Microsoft did with Xbox 360. I find it kind of silly that Microsoft will probably name their new console Xbox 720. Will it be Xbox 1080 after that? :)

10. SupahLeecha says:

PlayStation Android HD much better, lol. Maybe it will have a chance in the market.

11. Icegod says:

Playstation Four, there, problem solved.

If I recall correctly, the Iphone 4 sold pretty good in Japan, so I don’t think they have to worry about that. And even so, Playstation Death sounds pretty bad ass.

12. w7y7a7t7t says:

they cold also go with an android style name like “the playstation ex4g HD2″

13. JC89 says:

When I landed in Japan in the late 90s (god I’ve been in Japan a long time), on tv commercialls the Nintendo “64″ was pronounced “roku-yon,” as “64″ is usually pronounced. I think if Sony calls it PS4, it will be pronounced “four” or “yon” over there. It will always be the 4th PlayStation console no matter what, and people should have sense to not associate every single thing with a 4 on it with death, just like with N64. But if it under-performs, you can bet “PS shi” will be the system’s nickname on 2ch.

I’m betting Sony will use some foreign or abstract word for “4,” same way Vita or PS “V” is the fifth PlayStation product, since every console maker is shying away from numbered iterations anyway.

14. NNNRT says:

What about PSU (ultimate) or PSE (extreme) or anything related to the product, like glass in a different language? They could call it Super PlayStation or PS itself, wouldn’t be bad. Not saying that they should name it “PlayStation” like the original PSone but I mean PS itself. In my opinion, let it be named PS four, & in Japan they pronounce it “four,” not yon…

15. ramenking says:

anything new ?

16. Linkedot says:

I am also tired of the ps(numbers)
    it will give more confidence to new customers who never tried sony’s consoles before, and also it will free fanboys from their obligations and it will certainly bring new flavor to the gaming industry … at the end it’s more of a marketing stratege.
    And Personally i don’t give a s**t about the name, i just hope for a mature and elegant design, as i am leveling up biologicaly i still keep my interests in video games.

17. Night says:

Well… Orbis = Circle = Circulo
    Vita = Life = Vida

Result = Life Circle Or Life Cycle Or Circulo de la Vida

18. CycloneFox says:

Sony could do it like Winamp and just skip the 4 to call it (PS2+PS3=) PS5. But that would somehow be stealing the idea…

19. JR says:

I think it’s going to be called the PS4. I remember back in the day when they code-named the PS2… PS2, and they actually went with it since all the fans already knew it as such.

And remember the first PS2 commercial? It was actually a PS9 commercial which then showed the PS2 at the end saying that it was “just the beginning”. It kind of shows that Sony planned on continuing this traditional name.

20. Rufus says:

Duh, it’s just a code name. They use code names for all new devices before release. We aren’t playing with our shiny NGPs now are we? No, we’re playing with Vitas.

21. BLACKIEsaysWHITEchicsReasy says:

Dis better not be that ps4 on da real cuz that shit looks wack ass and son check da control pad that joint looks mad uncomfeee real shit yo.

22. NNNRT says:

FOUND A NAME! PS Quattro is very good!