Why the PS4 will probably not be named the PS4

2013 is coming, the PS3 is not getting any younger, and rumors on the PS4 are increasing. Some people were expecting an announcement at the Tokyo Game Show this year, but that didn’t happen, so we’re now all looking toward E3 2013 for some sort of public announcement from Sony themselves.

I was discussing with a source close to Sony’s game division, and we were commenting on some random article on the web that claimed the PS4 kept changing names. As far as I can tell, there as always been only 2 somewhat “official” names for the PS4: PS4, or Orbis.

This led my source to explain the PS4 would probably not actually be named the PS4.

That was for internal reasons at Sony he couldn’t immediately remember, but after thinking for a few seconds we all reached the same conclusion: the number 4 being an unlucky number in Japan (depending on the context, it is pronounced the same way as the word death, which is why you’ll never give 4 flowers as a present in Japan, or why some buildings don’t have a 4th floor), the next Playstation will probably not be named the Playstation 4, for cultural reasons.

Will the name Orbix stick? Not sure, as this might still be an internal codename, just like the Vita was initially codenamed NGP (Next Generation Portable)

Just thought this was an interesting anecdote to share, and we will see if it turns out to be true… I mean, Final Fantasy 13 was crap, so clearly number superstitions mean something (ow, just kidding, stop throwing me those rocks! Ouch!)

(Thanks to my source, he’ll know who he is)

1. sdfsdf’s avatar

Stupid superstitions.

1. WoloSHIT’s avatar

yeahhhhhh it is…

1. Daniel700’s avatar

I Say they call it the Playstation Ultimate…

2. TelcoLou’s avatar

Will it actually look like that concept picture?!??!? If so, WOW! :D

3. YOBBODUDE’s avatar

HAHHAHAHAA I managed to return my PIECE OF SHIT VITA and got a Nexus 7 32 GB motherfuckers

1. ue’s avatar

Hehe so I have a better phone, a psv and likely a better computer… woot for me.

I mean while we are just mocking people.

2. Yes’s avatar

Good that you got to return your Vita if it was something wrong with it. Luckily there is nothing wrong with my Vita :)

3. OooO-it's-DK’s avatar

What a dick….PS Vita is the best

4. w7y7a7t7t’s avatar

i hope orbis or orbix or whatever sticks, as that sounds pretty badass.

5. 9rockky’s avatar

Playstation is really famous brand,so if not use this name
    for the console … really stupid idea.

6. stoneskull’s avatar

they’ll use the name ‘playstation’ for sure.. just not 4, apparently.

i think playstation orbis is ok.. something like that

1. DBG’s avatar

Yeah, just like we have the “Playstation Vita” we’ll have the “Playstation Orbis”. It’s best to break the number cycle now anyway. Also Vita and Orbis go rather well together.

7. tiutslit2569’s avatar

Orbis roughly translates “the whole world”, so it’s definitely just a code name. I assume this means that the console will be very well connected, I guess, but it certainly won’t be released without an actual name.

1. Hking0036’s avatar

That could actually be a pretty solid name if it works like that, because vita is life (at least I think) so it could kinda go well… (Just my thoughts)

8. aerinas’s avatar

They should call it PlayStation 8 just to fuck MS up xD

9. Z3N’s avatar

I agree with what stoneskull said. I think they will stick with the Sony Playstation part and they’ll add some crazy ending like Microsoft did with Xbox 360. I find it kind of silly that Microsoft will probably name their new console Xbox 720. Will it be Xbox 1080 after that? :)

1. Hking0036’s avatar

That would be the resolution they run at, so of course. XD ~I’m just playing.

10. SupahLeecha’s avatar

PlayStation Android HD much better, lol. Maybe it will have a chance in the market.

11. Icegod’s avatar

Playstation Four, there, problem solved.

If I recall correctly, the Iphone 4 sold pretty good in Japan, so I don’t think they have to worry about that. And even so, Playstation Death sounds pretty bad ass.

1. n1nurt4’s avatar

hell yeah

12. w7y7a7t7t’s avatar

they cold also go with an android style name like “the playstation ex4g HD2″

13. JC89’s avatar

When I landed in Japan in the late 90s (god I’ve been in Japan a long time), on tv commercialls the Nintendo “64″ was pronounced “roku-yon,” as “64″ is usually pronounced. I think if Sony calls it PS4, it will be pronounced “four” or “yon” over there. It will always be the 4th PlayStation console no matter what, and people should have sense to not associate every single thing with a 4 on it with death, just like with N64. But if it under-performs, you can bet “PS shi” will be the system’s nickname on 2ch.

I’m betting Sony will use some foreign or abstract word for “4,” same way Vita or PS “V” is the fifth PlayStation product, since every console maker is shying away from numbered iterations anyway.

14. NNNRT’s avatar

What about PSU (ultimate) or PSE (extreme) or anything related to the product, like glass in a different language? They could call it Super PlayStation or PS itself, wouldn’t be bad. Not saying that they should name it “PlayStation” like the original PSone but I mean PS itself. In my opinion, let it be named PS four, & in Japan they pronounce it “four,” not yon…

15. ramenking’s avatar

anything new ?

16. Linkedot’s avatar

I am also tired of the ps(numbers)
    it will give more confidence to new customers who never tried sony’s consoles before, and also it will free fanboys from their obligations and it will certainly bring new flavor to the gaming industry … at the end it’s more of a marketing stratege.
    And Personally i don’t give a s**t about the name, i just hope for a mature and elegant design, as i am leveling up biologicaly i still keep my interests in video games.

17. Night’s avatar

Well… Orbis = Circle = Circulo
    Vita = Life = Vida

Result = Life Circle Or Life Cycle Or Circulo de la Vida

18. CycloneFox’s avatar

Sony could do it like Winamp and just skip the 4 to call it (PS2+PS3=) PS5. But that would somehow be stealing the idea…

19. JR’s avatar

I think it’s going to be called the PS4. I remember back in the day when they code-named the PS2… PS2, and they actually went with it since all the fans already knew it as such.

And remember the first PS2 commercial? It was actually a PS9 commercial which then showed the PS2 at the end saying that it was “just the beginning”. It kind of shows that Sony planned on continuing this traditional name.

20. Rufus’s avatar

Duh, it’s just a code name. They use code names for all new devices before release. We aren’t playing with our shiny NGPs now are we? No, we’re playing with Vitas.

21. BLACKIEsaysWHITEchicsReasy’s avatar

Dis better not be that ps4 on da real cuz that shit looks wack ass and son check da control pad that joint looks mad uncomfeee real shit yo.

22. NNNRT’s avatar

FOUND A NAME! PS Quattro is very good!

· 1 · 2