PSVita PSplus next week with Vita 2.0 OFW update

The long awaited PlayStation Plus program for the Vita is coming next week bringing a Vita firmware update with new features that could possibly block eCFW and Open CMA. Sony officially revealed all of the details and the initial lineup, check it out.

Sony has been looking to expand its highly successful PlayStation Plus program to the Vita since they announced it at TGS which will finally come next week. Sony is looking to get you to join with a strong lineup of games and content for the Vita. The Instant Game Collection works across both consoles as well. Additionally, game saves and trophies can be set to synchronize automatically. PS Plus nets you up to 2GB of game saves storage (1GB on PS3 and 1GB on PS Vita). Another feature is that the system will automatically start up and accept updates, so they’ll be ready and installed by the time you want to use it again. Sony says that from now on, 12 PS3 games and 6 Vita games will be available for PlayStation Plus subscribers to download at any time with monthly changes in lineup. EU members will also get a 20% off sale on select games to celebrate the launch. That’s a pretty impressive lineup below if you ask me, especially with Jet Set Radio being a newer title. For the same price alone of just buying Uncharted will net you all of the PSvita games and PS3 games; well played Sony.

PlayStation Vita’s PlayStation Plus 11/20 Lineup
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
WipEout 2048 (US ONLY)
Chronovolt (EU ONLY)
Gravity Rush Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Jet Set Radio (US ONLY)
PSP title Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (US ONLY)

Starting Monday, November 19th the PlayStation Vita will get an OFW 2.0 update that will include PlayStation Plus and some new features! The firmware 2.0 update along with PS Plus will bring functionality to check Gmail and Yahoo email, play 1080p video, wirelessly communicate and transfer content with PCs, tweak PSone game settings, and use the web browser more effectively with better optimization and rendering. When the PlayStation Store updates on Tuesday, November 20th, the first lineup to PlayStation Plus subscriber Vita games will be available. Don’t forget that there is a free PlayStation Plus offer going on in which you can read about here.

Now, to the most important aspect of this news. There is a high probability that your eCFW is in danger of being patched if you update! Most likely, it will also be a forced update also which means that you will not have PSN access if you decide to stay on 1.81 or lower. We’ve seen the last tactic that they used to block an exploit which was through the Vita OS but the real question however lies in what they could do with this update. There has not been an update since 1.81 in which we’ve seen a number of exploits released. Since Sony is waiting until 2.0 to update, it could bring something bigger than a simply fix for those specific exploits through the Vita OS.

Substantially, with this update, something else big is at risk of being lost; Open CMA. Open CMA is a very important piece of software. Starting with 2.0 Sony said they have given a huge update to CMA on the Vita. What the update entails has yet to be announced and most likely wont be known until the update is out. It has only be confirmed to include wireless transfer for now. If things change with CMA hopefully it will be able to be fixed. Hopefully that is not the case, however, I advise you to not update until its been confirmed whether or not it blocks eCFW and/or OpenCMA if you are wanting to keep it.

If you’d like to see the full release video, you can watch it below or see the official release at the Playstation blog respectively:

1. henriquebrazil’s avatar

??

1. garrei’s avatar

yes you got first, congrats -_-

1. >_>’s avatar

He didn’t flat out say it at least. XD

2. andrew’s avatar

my vita has not been hacked yet should i just go ahead and update or is there no chance of a exploit being released before the update is live?

1. >_>’s avatar

The devs will most likely look for a 2.0 vulnerability now.

2. Acid_Snake’s avatar

There will be no more kernel exploits (at least for a while), user mode exploits are the only thing that will come out now

3. PlayerGG’s avatar

My little sister deleted my Mad Blocker after I reformatted my computer. So no backup and no App on PSV, sad.
    Can’t do anything, but just waiting for a new exploit, or probably no more eCWF for me…
    If any dev would like to release their exploit, it should be now, or never. UPDATE is coming on the next week.
    Hope the devs will release something for the idiot like me and others who didn’t get the game…. LOL :D PEACE.

1. blackforest’s avatar

totaly agree i also updated my vita

4. chingon’s avatar

I can’t waight, updating one and remaing on 1.81 on the other…

1. Jason’s avatar

“WAIGHT” instead of “WAIT” lmao

5. Likedot’s avatar

I just hope they arrange the compatible games ps3/psv Remote play.

1. Frank’s avatar

Yes ! Can’t wait to play FFXIII remotely while playing other things on the TV.

Don’t know why they promised us remote play working on everything and still not got it !

6. BATMAN’s avatar

nothing new other than new apps and forced updates on your vita that will suckkkk

7. Kah’s avatar

Hmm.

Looks like its time to grab a 2nd Vita…

1. Onso’s avatar

I’ll never understand this logic. A second Vita? Thats such a waste of money. Either continue using eCFW or update. It’s not that hard of a decision to make.

1. SofaKing™’s avatar

hey i have 2 vitas also, 2 ps3′s 2 psp’s i like to UPDATE and use eCFW. it might be a waste of money but it is MY money. i just wish that the Gravity Rush exploit waited till this 2.0 update, but the DEVS might have something in the lurch waiting for us.

2. Shane’s avatar

or you can get a PSP.

8. will’s avatar

useless update for all that time Sony is trying to make this a social device. They need to realize sooner that we bought the system to play games not send email and post tweets.

1. andrew’s avatar

I guess they are trying to keep up with apple and honestly i love the social side of the vita……i just wish they would hurry up and release a ereader app and for me it would be perfect

1. Fox’s avatar

I thought it was just me, but I really love the social apps on the vita as well, it looks so nice

9. wartaf’s avatar

i like the new update features! but if they going to block the eCFW, i wont update it. lol!!

10. Peter’s avatar

I dont care about CFW. Why would I want to play old games on brand new Vita? I played PS1 games on on my PS1 12 years ago. I played PSP games on my PSP 5 years ago.

JS.

1. stOneskull’s avatar

while i mainly agree with you, it’s important to support homebrew and the people who do want the eCFW. while i am happy to keep psp stuff on my psp, i do still enjoy playing ps1 stuff, if it’s 12 years old or not. i still play snes stuff and even some stuff from the early 1980s.. like 30 years old now.. fortunately i/we don’t lose much with giving up eCFW but there are a lot of members who don’t want to give it up for their own reasons and that should always be respected, i think.

2. zoraktorok’s avatar

You must be a Sony guy checking up on the reaction of this community after an update announcement…. Otherwise, defend yourself and tell me why your even here :->

11. DQEight’s avatar

Ecfw is great and all, but I have my psp for playing psp games and home brew , I’ll probably update until the vita scene figures out how to access the full vita hardware.

1. Maxilus’s avatar

I agree with you. More hacking need to be done on vita.

12. itsmeMimi’s avatar

FW 2.00
    It will support HTML 5 and JavaScript
    PS Vita users will have the ability to “Tweet” web page addresses

1. stOneskull’s avatar

to do emailing..
      use CMA wirelessly..
      but the main thing is ps plus

1. oreo’s avatar

Java…. so flash games in the browser too? or no?

13. cscash241’s avatar

there is a typo “PS Plus nets you”

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Its not a typo ;) Net also means to acquire or obtain.

1. wizardinblack’s avatar

PWNED!!!

sorry dude, i had to.

14. nCadeRegal’s avatar

The whole reason i bought a 2nd vita. Plus i have a nasty habit of collecting special edition handhelds. (9 psp’s and counting)oh well not worried here. wololo and his mates will always overcome sony and their shortcomings!!!!!

15. shokashi’s avatar

to be honest, the new ps vita updat provide a good selection of upgrades and what have you, but on the down side we are still unsure what sort of update it provides, the update may just run the psp emulation a completly diff way than just a rip of the original software. if that is the case then it may be some time for another hacke may be made for it, if that is not the case the detail they have not mentioned with the new CMA leave much to be said as there is nothing at all on it, all it will take is a perfect blend of coding between the two to CRAP up the homebrew scene for us all.

i like my vita and i like the fact i can play games i used to own and still do on them again…………. i am just lost for words at this point so heres to sony not screwing us up…… again

16. AyeGuy’s avatar

I will just stay on 1.81 for a while

1. AyeGuy’s avatar

when I do update I will have my money ready to buy Jet Set Radio

17. NakedFaerie’s avatar

What I’m looking for is a way to sync the Vita with a 4.21REX PS3 without PSN.
    When I try it always wants to connect to PSN but that PS3 cant connect to PSN, obviously as its 4.21REX.

We need an OpenPS3 (OpenCMA for the PS3 :D )

1. WolfRamiO’s avatar

PS3 alredy have too many things

2. zoraktorok’s avatar

Are you trying to copy xmb stuff over or use remote play? For now you could log in to psn…. I’m pretty sure that even if you could copy xmb content like ps1 games over it wouldn’t work on the vita because the security certificate would be diffrent.. I tried to get some zen pinball 2 tables to port over and the vita gave me an error.

18. Stiffeno’s avatar

Not really any good features being added in OFW 2.0, imo not worth losing eCFW for crappy social networking features that I never use anyway!

My beloved launch Vita will be staying on 1.81 for the foreseeable future :)

19. larry’s avatar

suck my 12in sony ull never gonna stop us

1. nero’s avatar

Larry, if you make that sentence make sense, I’ll give you a cookie.

20. GuitaristMatt’s avatar

With ps+ it might be worth it, after all, I still have my PSP

21. itsmeMimi’s avatar

only one good thing for the next update…HTML5 support…

22. mad8vad’s avatar

Bye-bye eCFW. “Free” games for Vita better then for PSP

1. WolfRamiO’s avatar

theres no free games on vita, with ps+ you rent them!

1. mad8vad’s avatar

That’s why I put word free in quotes

2. Rico’s avatar

there arent many good Vita games arent to begin with and the few good ones? Just buy them! Why rent? And is it just me or does playing psp games on the vita more enjoyable than playing them on the psp? It’s just an opinion but i just love my vita as it is right now: Hacked, packed with classics and the ability to play the few good vita games…

1. oreo’s avatar

I agree i loved Need For Speed on my PSP but i think it is way better on the Vita. Staying on 1.8.1 for me :)

23. starfall05’s avatar

excited! i suggest the pros of upgrading to ps vita 2.00 will be quite well, you will get “vita” games for free.

if you have money or already a ps plus subsriber on ps3 i suggest going ahead with it. you’ll still gaining something and you’ll love ur vita more :)

on the other hand if u have a ps vita only and tight on a budget then we have to be contented for what cfw has to offer..

nice tactic sony :)

24. stOneskull’s avatar

well played, sony..

well played, indeed :)

25. Maxilus’s avatar

This kinda sucks.. Just new email app, play 1080P video, PS Plus, updated CMA and improved web browser? That all? They shouldnt call it ver 2.0 at all. Sound like version 1.90.

1. stOneskull’s avatar

i think it deserves being called 2.0 – it’s a vita milestone, a big change.. the whole vita package from CMA to the PS Store and PS Plus is new, the point in history where vita made these changes was 2.0.. it feels right to me

26. notder’s avatar

very hard decision to choose one of them

27. ricki’s avatar

So is there a way to shutoff updates or do you have to manually update. I just dont want to turn on my vita and see this new update on there without me downloading or installing it

1. zoraktorok’s avatar

requires manual.. even if you tell it to update you have to go through the terms and accept them…. really hard to do it by accident.

28. zoraktorok’s avatar

I’m having a hard time on this as well… I just decided that I shouldn’t play black ops 2 online for awhile, and Black Ops Declassified is working pretty well to fill the void… I’d rather hate to lose that one as well. I have my own reservations that this will block anything anyway, other than opencma or we would have seend something sooner than this. Without opencma I know ecfw is pretty useless, but I don’t think it would be as hard to crack as finding a kxploit…. I wonder how sonys servers check for validity anyway, if its file name and bit size couldn’t an app be made to “compress” with filler for that type of verification and psp app to put things right once it made the transfer?

29. Icegod’s avatar

The system will automatically start up, download and install updates. So bye bye future exploits…

1. zoraktorok’s avatar

If it is like ps3 you have to turn the option on.

30. Ignus Armagadan’s avatar

I really like all of those things being added, but I like my eCFW more…

31. Darton Staker’s avatar

I’m really paranoid at this stage, I would love if Sony would be more than what they appear today, I can only think of how this affects eCFW for me and if there is a forced permaban that goes along with the use of an exploit and openCMA. But I enjoy the exploit as a add-on since I still have a Psp I’m not too fazed, but as a lot of people. Analog needs replacement. I would rather be for official updates with the hacks developing over a couple years before I hack it, but unfortunately Sony doesn’t make it worthwhile, and I don’t see why I must pay excess for a service that should be standard and free.

32. Zonic’s avatar

What’s that? Sony giving us a reason to update?! Blasphemy!

33. azu’s avatar

We in eu pays more for psn+ and gets less content?
    seems fair if you ask me >_>

34. Deagle275’s avatar

I’m playstation plus, but i want to jailbreak my vita, what do i do?

1. oreo’s avatar

Well do you have the game required to hack it? if so then why not try it out and see if you like it.

35. gunblade’s avatar

well wouldent surpise me that sony start updating there pre install apps did it with 1.81 think its cuz cma da main tranfer app so probly does most of the coding too..(encrition decrption) but with the update thing going on with the ps3 thinking sony getting irratated with all the live screen vita updates..(refresh)… the install apps only has video n picture n music though which can load from cma on the vita. i like the tittle sony having for the release..

36. Chasez671’s avatar

Still no HTML5?! cmon, my android can do more than this vita..

1. Chasez671’s avatar

Well, I meant HTML5 video tag. Did they mention that they had HTML5 video, or did I miss that part?

37. gunblade’s avatar

iam guessing the cma on the pc will be updated for the wireless tranfers… think same thing for the ps3….atleast tranfering music from a laptop(windows 8 TABLET) would be easier… aaaaa wasent we already tranfering file wirelessly..

38. someone’s avatar

I’ll miss you eCFW :”)

black ops is much better :P

39. StepS’s avatar

those willing to run audio and video in HTML5 of 2.0… well, take a look at this:

1. stOneskull’s avatar

what does ‘netfront’ mean? (as in the two types of vita)

1. stOneskull’s avatar

nevermind i worked it out.. it’s the name of the browser on vita.. i found that this guy found your link as well.. http://psvitaforum.com/threads/html5-on-vita.9975/ – quite a shame it sees sony is purposely crippling the html5 capabilities.

2. wololo’s avatar

Basically Netfront is the worst browser ever, it was initially designed for crappy phones in Japan, and they are buddies with Sony so that’s probably why they made the browser for their consoles. Netfront was initially made to work in a constrained environment (low ram, low cpu), which maybe made sense on the PSP, but doesn’t on the Vita. This version is actually a new webkit-based version I believe, but it just plain sucks compared to the competition.

40. McLoven’s avatar

hey. is there NO other way to access psn to download vita content without the latest OFW?

Cause I still have R425(about $42 i think) thanks to overpriced PSN CARDS. I’m sticking with the eCFW(i just got it jeeez!)
    Otherswise I’m spending it today or I’m leaving that money to rot.

say NO to updates… I’m just saying :)

1. stOneskull’s avatar

spend it today then
      you may as well
      you could get a few budget games or one real good game

1. McLoven’s avatar

budget games it is, The Only games I want is NFS most wanted and Black ops but the price is just little to high for my wallet amount
        I saw in the South African PS store Black Ops price increased, whats up with that?

I was thinking:
        Asphalt injaction + wipeout HD+Fury expansion pack
        or
        Little Big planet
        or
        Ninja gaydin
        or
        Gravity rush
        Any advice?
        and does anyone know the release date for PS all stars battle royal?
        Thanks

1. McLoven’s avatar

I’m going for Little Big Planet, seems like hours of gameplay

1. SofaKing™’s avatar

LBP is fun, lots of replayability, (online)

2. McLoven’s avatar

cool, already busy downloading LBP, but tell me if i don’t update will i still be able to access that online playability? cause i doubt it

2. Jd8531’s avatar

Unfortunately not, you’ll have to update.

41. Yes’s avatar

1.81 eCFW, can’t see me leaving that for this…

1. iraqihomie’s avatar

you’re an idiot, just play with your psp instead

42. God601’s avatar

Hmm… that mean that I will have to use my PSP back , but it was fun to have the ecfw on the psvita.

I hope my modifications of the eCFW won’t make it patched… but I’m pretty sure it will lol.

43. razor’s avatar

How does the VITA to PC wireless file transfer works ? Through WIFI ?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Most likely that or blutooth

44. Gamer’s avatar

The new update haven’t security patches.I will update to 2.00.
    Fuck of TN and ecfw.The ecfw haven’t any new functions.So I have my PSP with better functions.

45. Wiseman’s avatar

Damn the update sound so good that im going to STAY on 1.81!

46. Hellinferno’s avatar

Fuck this,you buy plus,you download for example COD for only 15,99USD but when the subcription ends you have to buy anothe plus? that sucks as hell,i prefer pay more and keep the games on my card or pc to upload them in my ps vita card.Intead of “Update,update,update” they should be working on games like God of war,castlevania like nds games,king of fighters UM collection and rpg like ps2 games.Oddysey sucks is like Phantasy star online i prefer buy a FFIX from ps classics.

1. hammer’s avatar

actually no, you get to keep anything you pay for on psn+ the only games you lose when you sub ends are the free ones

47. Bruphiyo’s avatar

For me, I would like to update to enjoy the new stuff included. I do not buy my vita for psp games. I bought my vita as a substitute for ma ps3.

1. Hellinferno’s avatar

I bought psp games because i never had one and i was going to play games that i wanted to play that time,vita cannot replace ps3 because there is not god of war,no king of fighters,no kingdom hearts,no nothing,we get a few games that worth it but not all of them,plant vs zombies and the game from vikings sucks for example,escape plan was a good game,the console needs more fighting games,rpg like ps2 with better graphics,oddysey sucks i played the demo and i didnt like it,Tales of innocense r is way much better.Have anybody saw the price of the new COD?,all the games that came out were 39,99USD and the most high price was and still is unchanted until COD show up,the have to think about it because of that i prefer to buy Pc COD intead of vita because better graphics and sound can be found in it.

48. Minimur’s avatar

i wont be updating i dont think, i love how everyone is completely split 50/50, but you have to admit they couldve made the email app a little bit better looking !!

49. Minimur’s avatar

and i would update and use proCFW but my vita memory stick is only 128mb big :) lol

50. Wiseman’s avatar

I got two vita’s so its a win/win for me….

1 · 2 ·