The best PSP/Vita homebrews for October 2012

Wondering what you should be running on that freshly hacked Vita or PSP? Here is a list of the best 10 homebrews as voted by you in October 2012.

10. Bookr

I’m wondering if there’s a single one of our Top 10 where Bookr wasn’t here.

This awesome PDF reader works on the PSP, as well as on the Vita (either through TotalNoob’s CEF, or with VHBL), and actually fills a void in the PSP/Vita official apps (I’m still amazed Sony did not offer a pdf reader on their devices…)

Download Bookr here

Bookr

9. Pro CFW

No need to introduce the best CFW on the PSP. If you’re looking for the easiest and most up to date way to install a custom firmware on any PSP, Pro CFW is for you

Download Pro CFW here

8. Blackballs

A Dragonball clone for the PSP with edited and recolored sprites. This is a beta version.

Download Blackballs Beta here

Blackballs

7. Lamecraft

More than a year after its release, this Minecraft Clone is still one of the most popular homebrews ever. People running a Custom Firmware on their PSP, or Total_Noob’s CEF might want to give a try to one of its most famous mods, S4inexCraft

Download Lamecraft here (or try S4inexcraft)

6. Cave Story

When people ask us “why do you fight so hard for stupid fan made games?”, This platform game with some RPG elements is one of the examples we give them.

Download Cave Story here

Cave Story

5. Total_Noob’s CEF, the eCFW for the Vita

With no surprise, Total_Noob’s work makes it to this top 10 this month. Earlier this month, Total_Noob opened the PSP emulator in the Vita to allow us to play all our PSP homebrews and plugins, and it seems I was not the only one to like this release.

Download Total_Noob’s CEF here (Monster Hunter version here)

4. PRXDecrypter

One of the best companions for PSP hackers, prxdecrypter lets you decrypt eboots and prx files. That step is necessary if you want to start reverse engineering the PSP firmware, or games, to look for exploits

Download PRX Decrypter here

PRXDecrypter

3. OPenCMA

Virtuous Flame’s tool to copy files to and from your PS Vita without being connected to the internet has been one of the most popular tools for the Vita since it came out. Besides the “gray area” uses for those of us who don’t want to be forced to update our firmwares when Sony feels like it, there are many perfectly legit reasons to not want to be connected to the internet while you copy files between two devices you own.

Download openCMA here

2. Frontier 1337

A port of the oldschool game Frontier – Elite II. For those too young to know, Elite 2 was a pretty popular Space trading game back in the old days of the Amiga/Atari computers.

Download Frontier 1337 here

Frontier – Elite II

1. ZeroVSH Patcher

A nice tool to customize your PSP’s gameboot and more. Read Mr.rr’s article about this great tool here.

Download ZeroVSH Patcher here

1. blackjesus’s avatar

You are last in our hearts

1. SIM sk’s avatar

hahaha he really is xD

2. h4ckNsl4ck’s avatar

lmao

2. Different55’s avatar

You may be first to the internet, but you are dead to me.

1. Darton Staker’s avatar

Lol

2. Darton Staker’s avatar

Would the PRO cfw be bootable within the vita psp emu?

3. MaxiExtreme’s avatar

First??? is this a competition. LOL.

I agree all of the above are one of the BEST!

4. Maxilus’s avatar

Patiently waiting for more news on PS Vita. I wanna see more exploit or crack on Vita.

5. Maxilus’s avatar

who knows.. there a PS Vita CFW 1.81? lol

1. Dilan Parmar’s avatar

Please sign up for wololo talk there is a ninja release I am not going to say anymore because i like wololo and want to keep getting hacks

1. h4ckNsl4ck’s avatar

/facepalm dilan your an idiot

2. evil abed’s avatar

can someone please remove this idiots comment

3. Totoro’s avatar

You’re a fucking idiot, his question was stupid and you still answered stupid, both of you got Poo in the brain.

6. Spring_yan’s avatar

I think that both PRO CFW and OPENCMA is the best VITA homebrews!
    Because I am using them!

1. Spring_yan’s avatar

I’m sorry, I was wrong.
      No PRO CFW,but Total_Noob’s CEF, the eCFW for the Vita.

7. Hahussle’s avatar

Thanks to all the devs for all their free hard work

8. harrd100’s avatar

i thought thats a ninja release
    oh well i can wait

9. Tonakai’s avatar

I’m rather surprised that the ECFW isn’t at the top of the list, or possibly even the pro FW. Also, not very surprised about Cave Story or Bookr as they’re both amazing.

Although there are a few new things here for me to try out.

1. h4ckNsl4ck’s avatar

I agree with you on the eCFW. That should have took first place. but they are all great homebrews

2. SIM sk’s avatar

its because its mostly downloaded on mediafire: ;)

10. some11111’s avatar

Love this blog,I buy urbanix after read about leak thing.

I was wondering what wololo current mode on his vita?
    He use vhbl or cef?

1. Tonakai’s avatar

Wouldn’t surprise me if he stuck to VHBL, though for some reason I kinda doubt it. So, probably ECFW.

2. h4ckNsl4ck’s avatar

Really this question on a top 10 homebrew list. get real dude

11. oO Flowzilla Oo’s avatar

Whoever made Cavestory deserves a million bucks. I completed the game last year (before my 2nd PSP died :( ) and man, did I enjoy every second of it. I definitely recommend it.

1. h4ckNsl4ck’s avatar

will have to check this out looks good.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Its really fantastic, that guy does.

1. Different55’s avatar

Pixel is amazing. Everything in Cave Story was made from scratch. Even the audio format the songs are stored in was created by him. Cave Story, without a doubt, is and always will be my favorite game. An amazing story, great music, awesome graphics, and a physics system that rox my sox all together makes a game that is constructed of pure awesomesauce and win, with a side of coolbeans.

1. Different55’s avatar

Pixel being Daisuke “Pixel” Amaya.

2. Hypnotoad’s avatar

definitely, and it looks great on the vita.

12. hitme’s avatar

PSVita hacked? whaaa?

13. nips’s avatar

pdf reader for vita? IMPOSSIBURU!!

14. xfir’s avatar

I think it’s the Pro CFW~~

15. troy’s avatar

u miss nazi zombie portable ….. one of the best homebrew ever!!!! cod zombie game for vita!

1. wololo’s avatar

I didn’t miss anything, these are the homebrews favorited by people here. If you like Nazi Zombies Portabl, vote for it here: http://wololo.net/downloads/index.php/download/1232

1. scooter61686’s avatar

Honestly. Best horse racing game….compared to what other horse racing games?

16. h4ckNsl4ck’s avatar

what no ME cfw only PRO . but i would say from this list opencma is awsome

17. h4ckNsl4ck’s avatar

I see why devs get cranky at time this is a post of a top 10 list and half the comments are about hacking the vita. greedy users want something for nothing.

18. Jd8531’s avatar

Half Life is great too, I recommend that highly.

1. Tonakai’s avatar

I’m going to have to look into this. I love the Half Life games.

19. fivezer0niner’s avatar

not surprised to see that BOOKR. Even though sometimes it annoys me when my psp hangs up, it saves me enough energy and resources to read a lot of books and novels using my PSP..

and if ever vita will have an official PDF reader, I WONDER HOW they will import the ebooks to the psp, CMA will surely get updated or something like that…

1. fivezer0niner’s avatar

*to the PS VITA

20. MUD’s avatar

Wow, thought for sure that Vita FTP app would make the list.

Still good top 10.

21. hao53487240’s avatar

what is this??

22. akirameru’s avatar

like like ##*** XD

23. lol’s avatar

Vita is boring now no games limited cfw its like Sony doesn’t give a shit about it, why isn’t UVL out yet, that would surely make the vita a tad more interesting

1. Tonakai’s avatar

Then don’t use it, or sell it on to someone who appreciates it. I understand there are not many games, but the console is still enjoyable and surprisingly powerful considering the fact that it’s handheld.

In regards to the limited cfw, we’re lucky to have any form whatsoever at present. If things hadn’t of been leaked, we could very easily still be on HBL, which isn’t a bad thing at all as it opens up thousands of games through Emulation, but now we basically have that, the possibility to use plugins and play our PSP Games.

Finally, in regards to UVL, Yifanlu is taking a break from the project. If you believe you have the right to it as you seem to from your post, you could simply find the sourcecode (as it is open source) and finish it yourself. ;)

1. lol’s avatar

How about you fck off :)

1. xoombie503’s avatar

i guess need for speed,ragnarok,assasins creed and other psn titles are not games then..do you even have a vita? go back to playing with your lego toys that your mom only buys you.

2. Tonakai’s avatar

I don’t really see a need for that to be honest, “lol”. I was merely saying that if you dislike the console, or find it boring then give it to someone who sees the bigger picture and from your comment it doesn’t seem like you do.

There is little compatibility now compared to the system’s full potential, but you have got to remember that every single update, homebrew, cfw Etc. are all made by people with lives outside of the computer. Furthermore, it’s released completely free. The people with the programming knowledge could just be like an elite few and keep it to themselves, but they release it to the public. Personally, I doubt I would considering how many egotistical and demanding people there are out there, that seem to believe that it’s their god given right to get whatever they want whenever they want it. If you have the knowledge to work on the console, then go ahead and do so, however, if you don’t, then kindly wait like the rest of us.

My point remains however, there is now a library of at least twenty thousand games that you could potentially be playing on a large and well designed screen. If this is not enough for you, then clearly this console is not the right one for you.

3. MUD’s avatar

LMAO!

Thanks. :D

24. SARS1983’s avatar

tk ur trust∩_∩ and work and forgive

25. gonnagetpsvita’s avatar

waiting exploit released :3

26. The Z’s avatar

At least 5 of these entries are no homebrews.

And what has PRO CFW to do with PS Vita? I think this is just a top 10 of software, but not of homebrews for hacked PSPs/PS Vitas…

27. mark90’s avatar

I want to try out that blackballs lol it looks cool an i used to love dragonballz when i was kid!

1. xoombie503’s avatar

you want to try some blackballs 0_o????

28. bigjoe’s avatar

Folks, this is another proof what a POS Vita is/will become without CFW. If we had CFW the community would “supply” PS Vita with all the great apps scattered all over internet.

From pdf readers, browsers, 3D mode, custom music players, maybe some awesome new emulators, recording (remote joy lite), and the list continues. <<<All made to take advantage from PS Vita nice hardware power.

People should stop bullshiting themselves with OMG piracy+destroy vita. Vita will autodestroy itself anyway for being so "locked".

Only time will tell…and keep the great work as usual Wololo ;)

29. AyeGuy’s avatar

Can’t believe I never used the bookr app before, but I will definately get it when I hack my vita

30. mangosteam’s avatar

all i can say is SUPER TNX WOLOLO super REALLY TNX everything is great

31. PSN Representative’s avatar

wtf

32. Rafaela Gil’s avatar

Horse racing is an equestrian sport that has a long history. Archaeological records indicate that horse racing occurred in ancient Greece, Babylon, Syria, and Egypt. Both chariot and mounted horse racing were events in the ancient Greek Olympics by 648 BC…`.^

Our web page