Downgradable PS3 Models

Don’t know if your PS3 is downgradable, what’s the lowest firmware it can go or how to find what model you have? Then check this article out.

So with the explosion of the PlayStation 3 scene there have been a plethora of questions pertaining to the PS3 and downgrading. So with that in mind I gathered all the information together in one convenient post that will help you find out the answers!

FAQ

Q.) Can CFW be installed on 4.xx OFW?
A.) NO, you need to DOWNGRADE to 3.55 Firmware. when DEVS FIND A WAY FOR IT TO BE INSTALLED ON A HIGHER FW IT’LL BE ANNOUNCED, PATIENCE.

Q.) Can i Software Downgrade from 4.xx OFW?
A.) NO, THE ONLY WAY RIGHT NOW IS TO use a Hardware Flasher, (E3, Progskeet ECT) IT CAN BE COMPLICATED SO BE CAREFUL.

Q.) Can i brick my PS3 installing a 4.xx CFW?
A.) Yes, bricking CAN OCCUR WHEN ALTERING A CONSOLE OTHER THAN INTENDED. USERS ARE REPORTING BRICKS, IF YOU ATTEMPT READ CAREFULLY AND TAKE YOUR TIME.

Q.) Can i brick my PS3 by downgrading?
A.) YES you can, HOWEVER SOME BRICKS CAN BE REVERSED. IF YOU BRICK YOUR CONSOLE IN ANY WAY, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.

How to find a PS3′s Model Number

To locate the model of your PlayStation 3, look on the back of the system and locate the bar code sticker. Underneath the bar code you will see the 11-digit serial number followed by a model number which begins with “CECH”. You can also find the model number by looking on the box. It can be found by looking on the top of the box (the side where the handle is located) and is printed below the contents of whats inside the box.

Newer Models

Older Models

Downgradable Models

These easy, trimmed down charts will help you find out if your PS3 is downgradable and what the lowest firmware that it can be downgraded to. To see the full chart head over to the PS3dev wiki. Remember that 3.55 is the firmware required to install CFW, for now. You can check out the last column to see the min firmware that’s allowed on that console.

1. Ukdna’s avatar

How do I tell which of the CECH 25..B I have?

1. ricerrr’s avatar

there’s a sticker on the bottom of the ps3 that says the date mine says July 2010 witch is the SKU Release Date 7/2010

2. DivineBliss’s avatar

Lets just put it this way. If you updated past 3.55 you’r totally f@cked. That’s all this article should say. And if you do have 3.55 then you already know all this and their is no reason to read it.

1. wololo’s avatar

1. ricerrr’s avatar

hes just mad cuz he doesn’t understand the instructions on how to downgrade lols

2. abood smadi’s avatar

how to downgrade my ps3 .. mine is CECH.2004A

2. joejoe’s avatar

You need to learn to read the article as wololo explains here.

1. Andrew Wright’s avatar

you mean Jd8531

1. DecisiveGamer’s avatar

No, he means as wololo explained to him:
          “Not true, this article is about downgrading. It is *exactly* for people who updated past 3.55, but at *some* point were at 3.55″

Derp.

3. :p’s avatar

so pretty much all fat models shippped with firmware below 3.55

1. Brandts’s avatar

It seems like pretty much every console bought in 2011 and 2012 can’t de downgraded (that indeed includes all the fat models)

4. Scousetomo’s avatar

Great post mate this will help many people out before buying a flasher on a ps3 that cant be done

5. Albie85’s avatar

It’s good to no for people who r using hardware flasher to downgrade some people ain’t so lucky to already have cfw. I’ve got 2 one 60gb fat jb and my slim untouched on 4.30. As soon as u can install on higher fw ill jus be using 1. Jus like the psp only need 1. Long live pandora battery!!

6. liblame’s avatar

I was lucky. Bought a PS3 Slim J-Model new from Amazon.de and it was shipped with 3.50
    I want to flash it this week and try myself on some homebrew.

7. Tony486’s avatar

Verry usefull guide, thx!

PS3 minverchk tell me I can’t downgrade under 3.60… So, I’m screwed…

8. MUD’s avatar

Can some one please tell me how to do a NAND dump.

Every tutorial says start multi man then hit “start and select” this brings me to a window’ish screen what do I do from here?

1. Tonakai’s avatar

To dump NAND/NOR: mmOS->Select any file->Open in HEX viewer->[SELECT]->[START]->DUMP LV2(NO)->DUMP LV1(NO)->DUMP FLASH(YES)

1. MUD’s avatar

OK select any file? I see PS3 Root, MultiMAN, Games, Themes, ShowTime, WW Browser and Whats New.txt

It looks kinda like Windows OS.?

This is driving me nuts.
        Thanks for the help Tonakai.

1. fabian’s avatar

Exactly any file!! You can use that same “What’s New.txt”

9. DS_Marine’s avatar

Nice article. I don’t own a PS3, but the ‘flash reader’ column means that I can dump the ps3 flash AND ALSO write to it?

10. Tonakai’s avatar

Great article here, JD. It’s something that definitely needed to be put out there (and something I had considered doing myself – though you went into great detail and included clear images too). Nice one!

11. Reshiram’s avatar

PS3 SLIM
    CECH 2001B
    DATE DEC 2008

Can I still use software or hardware to downgrade?

1. ramenking’s avatar

y dont you read that post he made at the top and find out lol all the info you need is above :P (tip: everthing in red means u can’t)

1. raymond hemphill’s avatar

well I still don’t understand those things I need a answer now plz

1. XStationBR’s avatar

use google translator or better, back to school.
          wtf people cant undertood simple words.
          ?

12. gunblad’s avatar

so i have a fat 80gig n a slim 25b1 i was wandeing wich of the two would be better to put downgade on the fats on 3.XX firmware n the slims on 4.30..

13. Reshiram’s avatar

I mean Dec 09

14. Yoti’s avatar

Thanks, Jd8531!

15. xoombie503’s avatar

i had custom firmware before and updated cuz there was only emulators and the scene looked dead..now im stuck.i can downgrade if i buy a flasher but thats complicated and none of us noobs would like to even try

1. XStationBR’s avatar

then pay to anybody knows how to do.. simple

16. Mr. Jack’s avatar

So the Slim (CECH-3000B) can be downgraded. So does this mean the Slim (CECH-3001B) can be downgraded or not? I own the Slim model that came in a bundle with the Playstation Move at OFW 4.11if I remember correctly.

17. spearcom’s avatar

I want to downgrade and ive never used a hacked pa3 before.
    i have had psps including the go on cfw before.

i just want to know what i can do and if i can rip my on games and blurays directly on to it. im sick and tired of having to change discs.

thanks

18. Drew’s avatar

And all of these consoles require hardmods, correct? Or is there a game with a flaw like PS2′s 007 or Xbox’s Splinter Cell, or a flaw in the OS like Wii’s Bannerbomb?

1. hammer’s avatar

no if you are on 3.55 or below you just need a jailbreak dongle or 1 of the many psfreedom ports.

1. Drew’s avatar

Ah, but any higher and you must hardmod in order to get to 3.55 which then requires a dongle or “port”?

1. hammer’s avatar

yes any higher than 3.55 and you need a hardware flasher to downgrade’
          ps my earlier statement wasn’t right, because if you are on firmware lower than 3.56 than you can install cfw without the need for dongle/port

1. hammer’s avatar

woops I meant if you are on 3.55 you can install cfw without the need for dongle

19. vegetag5’s avatar

usb flasher !!!!!!anyone

20. gungah’s avatar

I have a CHECH 2501B made in August 2012 and a CHECH 2501A made in November 2010

1. gungah’s avatar

CHECH 2501B made in August 2010* my bad

21. yyy’s avatar

Why is a downgraded needed actually? Why not just flash a PS3 that is on OFW 4.25 for example, and flash it directly to CFW 4.25?

1. hammer’s avatar

because you need a exploit to install cfw and the exploit was closed after ofw 3.55

22. iDok’s avatar

ok greeting, why always same table ?!!
    plz update CECH 250-4A 160GB its a 3.56 ofw from factory !!!
    so MinVerChek ll say 3.56 last ver to downgrade

23. hammer’s avatar

just downgraded my ps3, took forever as I ran into many problems but what a feeling of accomplishment

1. ramenking’s avatar

wd that shit hard got the rlod from doing it to my previous ps3 :(

2. Linkedot’s avatar

Good for you… !

I’m still waiting the PRIVATE keys…

1. hammer’s avatar

I was on 4.31

24. ramenking’s avatar

if they could make something for 3.60 that would be bad ass maybe the security lower on it than 4.30 cause my ps3 and think many others have the ps3 that comes with 3.60

25. kingzhaoqq’s avatar

goodjob

26. kingzhaoqq’s avatar

verygood

27. thecoldest1’s avatar

It is nice to hear about the ps3

28. RealityCheck’s avatar

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT BE FOOLED INTO THINKING THAT NEWER PS3′S CAN NOT HAVE CFW INSTALLED ONTO THEM! I HAVE SEEN IT IN ACTION! There is a big debate as to whether or not releasing to the public as to how to install or not! EVERY KEY HAS BEEN DECRYPTED! Some dev’s wanna keep it to themselves, others wanna wait till the end of the PS3 is near, and others think it should be released to the public but are worried of repercussions from sony! If you don’t believe me, ask yourself one question, how long did the Three Musketeers have the keys in their possession before they released it. Only because they “HAD” to right? All the while letting people think decrypting the key was next to impossible. Do NOT be fooled! It has been done, but is being kept under wraps for the time being.

29. kjhkj’s avatar

how bout super slim?

30. Zix’s avatar

damn it, mines a Slim CECH-3003-A, I bought this one preowned at CeX in the hope it was downgradable. Aw well suppose ill have to live with the disappointment.

@wololo….. will us unlucky folk ever be able to mod our PS3. Would something similar to HBL be possible on PS3?

31. Qaisar’s avatar

i have “CECH 250-7A” plz u tell me this model is downgradeable or not,, Thanks

1. matrabula’s avatar

damn you a most downgradable ps3 bro you can even do it youslf

32. Ali Asad’s avatar

Please tell me , I have bought ps3 slim from Canada and I checked my ps3 Version 3.72 and serial CF622050339-CECH-3001B . I wanna play 3.55 games from net download and can it be hacked 3.55 . Please help me

1. Moe’s avatar

Mine says manufactured 2010 does that mean i can downgrade

1. Moe’s avatar

You cant downgrade yours or jailbreak becauce its 300 if it starts with 3 then it cant be downgraded sorry man

33. Moe’s avatar

I just found out i could downgrade and jb mine its unbelievable happiness and relief GTA IM COMING

34. Zach’s avatar

I need to dump the 4.46 ofw keys and use them for my cfw.

35. Fckdstar’s avatar

Wooott D: What about 3011 e-e, noothign about it ? D: Dev, help us D:, we pay gud muney!

36. hussam’s avatar

Mine is super slim cech4006c…it can be jailbreaked??

37. Hafeez’s avatar

Ihave ps3 cech 250 1 a how to jailbreak

38. Hafeez’s avatar

i have “CECH 250-1A” plz u tell me this model is jailbreakable or not,, Thanks

39. islem’s avatar

Hello , i have a PS3 cech-30.. i want to know how to downgrad it ?

40. mo’s avatar

Hi need to know one thing can you downgrade any PS3 to CFW as long as it is higher than the lowest required Praxis?

1 · 2 ·