PS3 Blown open, Scene chaos, LV0 keys Leaked and Working!

Jd8531

Blogger/ Amateur Journalist. Indie Developer. Hacking and console security. Follow me on Twitter.

You may also like...

1. job says:

This always annoys me xD

1. fail0verflow DID NOT cause piracy. The USB Dongles did that. Nobody knows where the USB exploits came from.
    2. fail0verflow gave us a way to bring back Linux (OtherOS) to the PS3, WITHOUT giving a security exploit that can cause piracy.
    3. GeoHot later released the metldr keys which cracked open the entire system till 3.60. GeoHot is not a part of fail0verflow.
    4. Sony changed the chain of trust with the 3.60 firmware. Leaving metldr out of it and having lv0 load all the other stuff.
    5. Now lv0 is cracked and the only way to solve it for Sony is to release a new hardware revision.

Sources:
    1. Presentation of fail0verflow at 27C3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4loZGYqaZ7I
    2. http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Boot_Order#Chain_of_trust_Diagram_3.60.2B.2B

2. Loerderon says:

And what about 4.30 update? Will i be able to install CFW in time, if i update my v2 SLIM to 4.30 and other ofw Sony will release further?

3. Gustbran says:

Muchas gracias

Arigatou gosaimasu

• z3 says:

Gozaimasu is spelled with a Z, not a S. “Gozaimasu” is the correct spelling :)

• MizuhoChan says:

ありがとうございました!
        日本語は難しい ;_;

• F says:

You realize that all romanization of Japanese is an approximation of the language? In other words, correcting peoples’ spelling of an approximation is not all that bright.

• z3 says:

Maybe in some cases, but not always. The Hiragana alphabeth is set to fixed translations, that one sign mean one spelling. I’ve never seen that this could be used very flexible, as but i might be wrong.

The reason why i mentioned it is because when starting to learning japanese, one often start with a lot of Romaji. Therefor it can be important to learn the correct spelling to begin with. If you think one word is spelled a certain way in Romaji, if you try to apply/translate this to Hiragana, then you get spelling error.

In this case, if you translate “gosaimasu” to Hiragana, you get “ごさいます”. This is not the correct spelling. The correct spelling is “ございます”.

I don’t see why you think it is not to bright to point this out. Nothing negative towards Gustbran, just a tip to correct the spelling :)

4. tha boss says:

is there allready a way to hack your ps3 and play online without buying a dongel for duoboot??(without spoofing so you wont get banned)

5. z3 says:

Good article :)

There is one question that i’m wondering about of all of this. Right now i know you need to be on firmware 3.55 to be able to install CFW 4.21. But is possible to modify a PS3 firmware so that it can be installed on even the newest OFW without downgrading? Like making a CFW that removes some security checks, so that the PS3 think it is a new firmware. Or do you need the new private keys to sign the CFW? That is the biggest question i’m wondering about of all this.

6. z3 says:

And about Vita hacking, i can’t see how this will change anything. From what i know, the PS just acts like a Content Manager. The Content Manager excist on PC as well, and PC is the most open platform out there. I don’t see any need to go through the PS3 first when everything can be done directly between the PC and the Vita.

• Jd8531 says:

You are way off, PC and PS3 CMA are different first of all. Its not just about transferring files either. There may be other secure data that the PS3 contains that could open the Vita security wise. There is also suspicion that the keys are similar too along with some other things.

• Yes says:

Do you have any more info on this? I’d like info that its not only about transfering files on PS3.

• Jd8531 says:

There will be more info soon, but right now everyone’s still looking into everything :)

• Yes says:

Nice :) But about the other stuff, you said that he was way off and wrote it in a way that this info is already known. Can i have some source/link to this info? I’m interested in reading more about it :)

• Jd8531 says:

I dont think I did? First of all i said “nothing to confirm” in the main article. Regarding CMA its more common sense, hacking CMA wasnt ever said anywhere to begin with thats why I said you’re way off. However I stated “there may be” and “suspicion” about the part the other part. About how CMA is different, is it decrypts and runs differently.

• Yes says:

It was said that PS3 CMA acts like the PC CMA. This means that they both serve the same purpose, file transfer only. You said he was way off on this and then you said “it is just about transferring files either”. I was looking for info to this statement :)

• Yes says:

“It is not” is what i ment to say, sorry for the typo.

• z3 says:

Yeah, i was only refering to that the PC and the PS3 CMA works in the same way, that they only do file transfers and that the Vita does the encryption/decryption for security reasons. I don’t see why different encryption would be used between the PC and PS3 CMA when the Vita is assumably doing the encryption. But if there is any sources to this saying otherwise, i’d like to read and learn more about it :)

7. oO Flowzilla Oo says:

Sad news for Sony. I can visualize a lot of developers walking away from Sony.

8. hitler says:

the downfall has begun!

9. GigaGaia says:

Considering you can only install this from 3.55 or below and that the majority of people don’t have flashers to downgrade, this is the furthest thing from blown open. The PS3 is still pretty closed.

It’s gonna be blown wide open when you can install a cfw from 4.25 or 4.30.

10. NakedFaerie says:

This is why the PS3 scene SUCKS. Everyone is scared of $ony. I’M NOT! Release ANYTHING under my name and let them come after me. F! $ONY!

And the devs have all the keys but refuse to release them. They can make their own CFW but again just refuse to.
    When will the PS3 scene devs GROW UP! Dont hold onto what the public want. WHY even go find that exploit or key or whatever if your never going to release it? Thats just stupid.

The sooner its released the more others can get it and use it. its NOT YOUR CONSOLE, ITS MINE, HIS, HERS, THEIRS, NOT $ONYs, NOT YOURS so if you release the keys and someone makes a CFW and that CFW gets installed on MY PS3 then thats MY choice and MY problem. If $ony want to be pricks and ban my console, oh they already did. BASTARDS! They banned my console so they no longer want control over it so I can and will install whatever firmware I want on it.

They wont ban everyones console. All that will do is piss people off and they will go get Xbox360′s so Micro$oft will be really happy if $ony ban everyones console. $ony will loose customers and money. REALLY STUPID MOVE $ONY. I HAVENT brought a game since you banned my console. FU!

SO the sooner the devs grow up and release what they find the better for US, the end user. The OWNER of the console. It’s OUR console so lets do what WE want with hit.

• Yes says:

Maybe regarding the hardware, but the software is still under copyright. If i buy a piece of software, it is not 100% mine. If it was 100% mine, it would mean that i could copy it and give it away for free to everyone online. I’m not allowed to do that even if i bought a game/program/movie.

Why did you get banned by the way?

• NakedFaerie says:

They wont tell me why it got banned except it breeched the TOC. I did nothing but have CFW installed. I NEVER played any games online and as I was on 3.55 and there was no spoof for online and 3.60 was the current firmware I’m not sure why they banned me. I wasn’t online, I could’ve and still can flash a OFW in it which will show NO signs of customizations or homebrew so there really is no proof from them that I did breech TOC.
        The closest I could think is on the forums I said there is a way to cheat OFFLINE and they didn’t like me saying that so they banned me from the forums then 2 weeks later my console got banned.

Did you buy the console, ITS YOURS. Did you buy the game, ITS YOURS.
        Its the same as the fruit growers saying you are allowed to buy an apple but you arn’t allowed to make it into a pie, you can only eat it the way we say. You will be pissed and make a pie anyway. Its the same for the console and the games. Its now MY console in MY house. if I want to open it up and modify it I can. If I want to backup the game and run it from USB then I can. I paid for it and I choose to do that to it and nobody can stop me. Its my house and in here I make the rules and I say we can do that.
        They dont like it then they can go have a cry. $ony will be crying for the next few months from the leaked keys anyway.

• Yes says:

I see. Yeah, if you posted on the Playstation forum with your PSN account, that counts towards the PSN rules i think. It is weird that your console got banned because of this though. I havn’t heard of anyone getting banned because of PS3 CFW, but that is interesting. I think that Sony has a way to detect CFW.

Yeah, i don’t think that anyone cares if you only modify your own stuff. The problem is more when people put this online, so it gets very widespread. But the software restrictions has always been there, not just for Sony, but for everyone else as well. Even before the Playstation excisted too.

• Shmo says:

your apple pie analogy is fallacious. it’s more like buying apples and giving poison to children. you didn’t just buy a console, you bought a user agreement. your complaints sound as if you’ve never read one. you are allowed to use the product they’ve sold so long as it is used in the way they intended. however, people consume poison regularly for enjoyment, and youth is often a perspective more so than an age. often there are tools available for us to exploit for our own gain, and often nobody will be able to stop you before you do it, but you will have to accept the consequences of your actions eventually. the majority of people are not going to stop using sony because they are held accountable for their actions. microsoft will not be able to support innovation if they don’t hold people accountable for their actions. that is the short of it. they wont care if you hack your console if it’s not in their interests’, that’s what people here look forward to. you say your house, your rules, but you are mistaken if you think you can do whatever you want and not have to accept the consequences of your actions. ask anyone in prison.

• PS3 ALL DAY says:

DUDE. you have been able to do this to xbox 360 nearly since it was released, and really they ban you if they catch you, end of discussion.

11. tonyuk73 says:

Just phoned my son to tell him not to update the ps3.guess what I’m the owner of a ps3 with 4.30 on it dam!

take it I’m screwed?

12. Squiggs says:

Did any one else see this on bbc world news?

13. marx says:

so in this case the ps vita will be soon hocked?… nice work out there i’ll look forward for this hack…

14. SILVIO says:

Hi guys:)
    Could anyone tell me how we I can use the latest release of the LV0 keys to be able to play PS3 games which I have on my external HDD? Thanks

Please mail me directley to my mailadress (afshin1977@live.no)

15. Hunter138 says:

And now, Can I update my system or waiting for some news?

COOOOOOL DUDES, VERY COOL

16. Hugo says:

Get a life ^^^

17. Chun says:

What does this exactly mean for us end users with a ps3 on 4.25OFW?

18. tigerchitpile says:

It’s intresting how the PS3 has been the reason for everyone be able to run homebrew on the psp, due to ppl being able to sign homebrew. i wonder if it will have the same effect on the ps vita. will the ps3 be a gateway to the vita also?

• MarSprite says:

PSP was full of homebrew way before the ps3 hacks happened. CFW was easy as pie to install on a PSP. The pandora battery was the final nail in that coffin, once that got released everyone had the option of CFW.

• tigerchitpile says:

pandora battery only worked on older psps. And yes i know homebrews where on psp before this, however i think that being able to sign ur own homebrew is a way bigger nail in the coffin then the pandora battery

19. n3rk3 says:

Ohhhh a miracle! I am thankfull for the professionel ps3 devs! Not like the crapy psvita devs andthere Ninja releases

• -X-77 says:

HEYYY, these guys work hard to give us all the opportunity to get the exploited game off psn, days b4 its publicly announced and pulled by $ony in the following 24hrs… just so we all can enjoy all our games and homebrew we have on our hacked PSPs…
      Although.. i barely have even a third of the content i did on my hacked PSP, on my newest vita eCFW…..
      On second thought, YEA WHAT THIS GUY SAYS, CRAPPY!

20. Finaly says:

Finaly i stop pay for games on my ps3 and can get us many games i wanna ty god some one liked keys in HAPPY u made my day

21. -X-77 says:

ok so my ps3 is on 4.25 now, does this mean i would be able to hold off updating my ps3 and be able to install a cfw 4.25 on it? (btw i have no e3 flasher or anything of that nature)

please respond, i would like to have some cfw on my ps3, but if its not possible i might as well update my ps3 to enjoy some netfix.

Thanks.

22. maddin says:

so when can 3.56+ (4.xx) OFW users expect a CFW without having to downgrade our ps3?

• yyy says:

From what i understand, they need to find an exploit in the new firmware. If this isn’t found, i see no way to use CFW without downgrading first or signing it with the new private keys.

• Stolas says:

Exploit? It wouldn’t require an exploit because they have access to the update files, thus they can simply decrypt the latest firmwares, edit them to include the ability to install apps from a usb and bam you’re in.

• z3 says:

But how are they going to be installed on OFW 3.60+? Those firmware version (i’m talking about them being installed on the PS3, not the .pup file) are already protected, you need a way to modify lv0 first.

23. anhell28 says:

could some psvita keys be included or shared with the ps3? could be a possibility.

24. miguel says:

am on 4.25 does this mean that they are working in a cfw for 4.25

25. miguel says:

should i upate or not

26. arnookie says:

Update all you like cos Sony are screwed now.
    We decrypt any firmware now because we have the access to edit them to do what we want : O)

27. marlewuk says:

nice article wololo, a little hard to follow for my simple mind but easier than other forum posts. keep it up

28. CS72 says:

What I don’t understand: With these keys we can decrypt LV0. Will this not give us the possibility to get all other keys, to sign homebrew and code, that this run on a normal official firmware? Why a lot of people speak about custom firmware in this case? What I hope: That these keys will not kill Sony because a lot of people will use this for playing illegal copies. I hope that these keys will open a big homebrew development like at the psp a few years ago.

• armookie says:

No really you want official firmware to run homebrew and unofficial stuff? Would you not like a custom firmware with no cinavia protection and that would allow you to backup and play games/homebrew and apps from your external harddrive?
      Simple choice! No?

29. miguel says:

so i can stay on 4.25 and wait until they release a 4.25 cfw cause am on 4.25

30. miguel says:

so this mean any update can get hack

31. Binary says:

After reading through all of this and a few other websites, I’m realizing very quickly how invaluable this really is for most of us considering most people have newer firmware than 3.55. I have one with 3.73 on it and still can’t do jack with it without opening the console. I don’t think Sony is really in any danger due to this LV0 key being released.

32. OB says:

So, should I not upgrade my ps3 from 4.25 OFW to 4.30, or should I wait for a CFW for 4.25 if I want CFW. I know this was asked by people above me but the answers weren’t really clear and I’m not a programmer so I couldnt understand the article very well.

• gunblade says:

Wen ever there a new exploit it always a good idea if u have a real low firmware so if u want to you can but i would keep a 4.25 just untill they reasles anthing unless u need the psn or play games guessing on tye assassin creed now anybody know if u need 4.30 to play it?

33. T-Bo-_- says:

awesome.

34. OB says:

Okay thanks, I’ll just play campaign modes of Cod and skyrim and fallout. I was just confused because there are a few youtube videos with a lot of likes of things like ps3 4.5 CFW, and I wasn’t sure if it was real or not because tey had a ton of likes.

35. Harvey Birdman says:

Ok can someone explain to me what this all means in the simplest of terms?

36. HDgames says:

yes piracy is a problem, but the 360 has a similar problem with c4evas custom firmware. You can burn the latest games and go online. Yes there was a ban wave in 2009, but since then the newest cfw hasn’t been beaten. 360 still has lots of software sales. Longs story short, there are people like us that cfw our sh!t, but there is a much bigger percentage of console owners that don’t know about this sh!t. I don’t know why ppl hella trip about this all the time. Yes is going to be a majority of us(cfw users) pirating games, but its a much smaller percentage of us then the whole customer base. Developers/publishers lose more from used game sales.

• zorrodood says:

i was thinking about that. i don’t know any numbers, but the amount of people who pirate games can’t be so significantly high, that they could ruin the games company. if anyone has statistic about that i would be interested.

37. SupahLeecha says:

Please don’t make vita the next target. Let the major release come out first. Thanx.

38. Adil says:

Guys plz just tell me that can I have a 4.21 ps3 CFW now???

39. Tha boss says:

Will this make it possible to run without cfw in the future??? Or is there no way of saying such thing. This is because i woud like to keep playing online without a possible bann.

40. CJW says:

I think everyone that’s isn’t on 3.55 or lower is getting way too excited here. It sounds like phat and pre 3000 series slim users may eventually get a solution that doesn’t require a flasher…maybe. That’s a lot of IFs and given the speed things have moved on this scene I wouldn’t expect anything soon. I think this benefits the flasher sellers the most as now many people who have a downgrade able console may invest in a flasher so they can get to 3.55 and then to 4.x CFW. I am lucky to have a Phat on 3.55 TB so I will be going back to 3.55 OFw and then to new CFW as soon as a more stable version comes out. I don’t think this will crush $ony as bad ad people are thinking. If 3000 series is ever hacked I expect they will put out a new slim with some hardware change that prevents this exploit. To be sure this is exciting news but I don’t think it changes the dynamics that much until we so a CFW for all consoles that doesn’t require a downgrader to implement! So chill!

41. georgie says:

“The LV0 is not patchable, which is to say there is nothing at all Sony can do to fix this.” That’s exactly the same thing hackers said about the previous hack :P

42. Today, I went to the beachfront with my kids. I found
    a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said
    “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.

There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her
    ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to
    tell someone!

1. October 24, 2012

[...] [...]

2. October 24, 2012

[...] wenn Sony offiziell keine Gründe dafür genannt hat, dürfte der Grund wohl jedem bekannt sein![Quelle]Related posts:PS Vita Hack: Hacker Wololo packt ausHacker Wololo: Aktueller Status zum PS Vita [...]

3. October 25, 2012

[...] Wololo, Eurogamer FacebookTumblrStumbleUponMoreEmailPrintRedditLinkedInTwitter Tags: Homebrew, Lv0, [...]

4. October 27, 2012

[...] [...]

5. October 27, 2012

[...] [...]

6. October 29, 2012

[...] la reciente publicación de las claves LV0 de PS3 la scene está que arde, pues todo apunta a que Sony ya no podrá [...]