Hey Wololo, when’s the next Ninja Release?

In 2012 the scene has released 6 user mode exploits in PSP Games, that were leveraged to run either VHBL, or, more recently, Total_Noob’s CEF. These releases accelerated recently with the publication of 3 game exploits in the past 3 weeks: Monster Hunter, Urbanix, and Mad Blocker Alpha. Despite this, some people weren’t able to grab the exploits and are asking me when the next one is coming.

There are many things to say about this. First, I want to make it clear that I did not develop any of these exploits myself, and I certainly do not own a patent for the concept of “Ninja Releases”. In other words, anybody with a usermode game exploit could make their exploit compatible with Total_Noob’s CEF, then handle a Ninja Release on their own, or even contact me to handle it.

For those of you who still didn’t figure that out, in order for Total_Noob’s CEF to run, 2 exploits are required: a usermode exploit  to be able to run unsigned code (that’s the game exploits), then a kernel exploit to do a privilege escalation (that’s Total_Noob’s exploit). The kernel exploit itself is not tied to a specific game.

I think it is really essential to understand that there is nothing that really makes me necessary in this process at all. Sure, we have a huge community focused mostly on the PSP and the Vita, which makes the Ninja Releases very relevant to guarantee that a maximum amount of people get the information before Sony pulls the game, but what I’m saying is, begging me for a new release is not necessarily the best way to get what you want.

Again, finding usermode exploits in psp games is not difficult, and is well documented (also here). All you need is a hacked psp, lots of free time, and a brain. Some of you might wonder “well duh, if I had a hacked psp, why would  I even want to look for more psp exploits?”, and I will reply that if everybody thought that way, we wouldn’t be enjoying Total_Noob’s CEF today. Others might think it’s too difficult… I am baffled at the amount of people who keep asking me where to find the info to find those exploits, when again it’s relatively well documented, and google is your friend. It’s not like there is a “psp hacking school” or something :)

Back to the recent Ninja releases, some people are wondering why we revealed two game exploits for firmware 1.81 (“why didn’t you guys wait for firmware 1.82?”), while others ask if we plan to release more.

As to why we released 2 game exploits for this, there are two reasons. First, the Urbanix exploit was leaked, and we feared the information didn’t spread fast enough for people who would have been interested in Total_Noob’s CEF.

Second, it is really essential to understand here that firmware 1.82 (or whatever comes next) will most likely patch Total_Noob’s Kernel exploit. If we had waited for firmware 1.82 to reveal the MBA exploit, it would have been “less” useful, as people wouldn’t have been able to use Total_Noob’s CEF, but rather something like VHBL, which provides less features. In other words, usermode exploits are less valuable than a Kernel exploit, so it made sense to “waste” a second usermode exploit on 1.81 rather than wait, especially since there are lots of other game exploits lying around.

So, why not release yet another game exploit before 1.82 then? Well, again, I do not control all the releases, and if you have a game exploit that you want to share for this, feel free to release it, or to contact me for a ninja release. But I see several reasons to think it wouldn’t really be worth it.

First, I strongly believe that people who were able to miss 3 exploits (Monster hunter, Urbanix, and MBA) in the past 3 weeks would not be able to catch a 4th one. Seriously, if you didn’t see the previous 3 ones, what makes you think you’ll see it this time?

Then, well, the Mad Blocker Alpha release wasn’t even planned initially, I just decided I’d try to contact Total_Noob and Frostegater on that subject, and they agreed it was a good idea… but my point here, people who ask for a second chance.. well, Mad blocker Alpha *was* that second chance… and technically, if you include all the previous exploits, it was like the 6th chance you had (yeah, Total_Noob’s CEF is still not ported to previous exploits besides Monster Hunter, but I am still convinced this is only a matter of time). Sure, a few people in there were really following all these events, and just got unlucky for various reasons, but the thing is, at this point I believe they probably represent a tiny minority that does not justify releasing a new usermode exploit (unless, of course, one of these guys actually has one and wants to share)

Finally, given how fast Sony removed Mad Blocker Alpha from theirs online stores, and the amount of leaks that happened for this release, I think the Ninja Release concept has shown its limits, and we need to adapt it. At least, we will be revising the list of trusted people more thoroughly.

On that point by the way, several people have contacted me to tell me the ninja release should happen progressively, so that less trusted people get the information after the others. This is already what’s happening, and this is why the information started to leak only days after the Ninja release had actually begun.

Well, I guess that’s what I had to say on this. Bottom line is, no extra Ninja release planned by me so far for 1.81, but of course nothing’s written in stone :)

1. icyheart’s avatar

oh my God Iam realy waiting

2. I am born’s avatar

Please come out with an exploit tommorrow or sometime this week please!!!, i want to play hombrew so bad!

1. wololo’s avatar

Why did you miss the previous 3 releases?

1. I am born’s avatar

I didnt miss them, i got to the last two too late and mad blocker was gone from psn at 9:00 Am where i live and i was going to get it at 9:10

3. swit’s avatar

I suspect most people who missed the previous releases are new Vita owners. My Vita arrived on Wednesday (I expected it on Monday…), and it was already too late to download exploited games from PSN. I wasn’t even planning to get the Vita as of yet, due to it’s questionable future and lack of third party support, but the whole PSP homebrew possibilities convinced me that it is indeed worth it. I will patiently wait for next ninja release. I registered just recently so there is a chance that I will be last in line to see it, but oh well… I’m afraid that if 1.82 firmware will block kernel exploit one of the major benefits of PSP homebrew will be blocked: plugins.

1. MeyMey’s avatar

I agree. I’m on the same situation :(

2. caiosc’s avatar

I’m in the very same situation as well =)

3. Jareid’s avatar

This is the same for me, i bought my vita recently

4. Daniel R’s avatar

I am really thankful that I did get this release and so did 3 of my 4 friends that own the Vita. I made a commitment to check every half hour or so during the day so that I could see any changes or news about the release.
    Thank you again for this great place and I hope I am moved to the trusted list :)
    For those of you who missed it I would consider using my 3G everywhere at all times and perhaps quitting your job so that you can come here more often hahana

5. Hell666’s avatar

Instead looking for exploit why dont we play those in pc?,i was looking for that because i didnt have any game on the card but now i have 5 games on it,Mk9,Ultimate marvel 3,Little big planet,megaman maverick hunter x,parasite eve and a mobile puzzle.I understand if you said that you dont have any game.

1. Hell666’s avatar

I was looking for that only to play ds games but i guess it will be imposible,i want to test castlevania touch before you can say the same as i did about playing those in pc XD.

6. Cloud’s avatar

Well, I was waiting for a backport on SC3, but I wanna update so I can try out the PS All stars public beta. I wasted $10… damn.

7. wizwizard’s avatar

Hope they release the an exploit on Nov.1 So I can get my hands on the new white PS vita come out on 10/30/12. (My First vita by the way)

8. deathscythe’s avatar

this is fcking ridiculous they said before tuesday thats long gone now… whats up wololo i just got my stupid vita how about ill pay you $50 bucks for the stupid name of the game or even $100 now if you are interested email is

1. wololo’s avatar

Errr, did you miss the whole thing? The exploit was released on Tuesday, one week ago: http://wololo.net/2012/10/09/release-6-60-tn-b-for-urbanix-and-mad-blocker-alpha/

9. Patrick’s avatar

Going to update my vita , hombrew isnt worth it , its only runnin on a psp emulatpr just get a fckin psp and stop complaining . Most of you are pirates anyway. Im glad i updated to play ps all star beta n the upcoming psv games

1. wololo’s avatar

Good for you

2. Ruben’s avatar

And what do you do here??
      Go to the psn asshole.

1. UKDNA’s avatar

I’ve been contemplating just upgrading too (though wouldn’t be an asshole about it!) I remember when the PSP was first hacked – everyone who updated thought they were screwed, but soon you could downgrade almost anything to 1.5 and it was no big deal – same thing with iphone, more or less. Now I know the Vita is more secure from our point of view now, but the fact is that good games are really starting to come out for it now, the popularity is increasing and more people are jumping on board the Vita train. My point is that there is NO WAY that this is the heyday of Vita hacking right now, better things will come along, might as well enjoy the Vita for what it is. I mean, every ISO/CSO I’m playing now, I’ve already played before. Now having said all that – I haven’t upgraded yet ;)

1. wololo’s avatar

I’d take into account the PS3 in the picture though. If the Vita is as strong as the PS3, Total_Noob’s eCFW might be as close as we’ll ever get from a mainstream hack. See how long it took to have the CEX to DEX method…

10. mimar’s avatar

Patrick on October 17, 2012 at 2:23 am
    keep your reflexions for you.if you are not happy not needs of poster

11. mimar’s avatar

Patrick on October 17, 2012 at 2:23 am
    if is to make reflexions or you are not happy post nothing.

12. Patrick’s avatar

Yeah i sounded like a asshole i apologize i just think people that keep asking for a next release needs to chill if they are desprete i still think they should just save their money and use for a psp most likely replying to darkschythe

1. UKDNA’s avatar

It’s the grass-is-always-greener effect – I was dying to play CSOs on the Vita – now that I have them, well… they aren’t as great as I remember… but boy did I feel left out, like I was missing something, before I got MHFU

13. hao11000’s avatar

oh,it’s a good news! Please tell us the new exploit release

14. nunbgu’s avatar

15. nunbgu’s avatar

Please if you find a new exploit for the ps vita 1.81 please email me right away please i believe in you. My email is nunbgu@yahoo.com

16. emmanuel’s avatar

will urbanix work on the ps vita if you buy it from the gamestop website? please comment back i am willing to pay $5 for it

1. wololo’s avatar

No it won’t

17. SupahLeecha’s avatar

My vita is 10 months old already. I always missed all the exploit due to busy work. Although I reserved something in my psn wallet, I wasn’t able to have a single chance. Pretty bad for me. I dreamed of playing cso and iso in my vita before the day it was released in my region.
    So people who had their chance were so lucky. And so for me, I’ll just wait for the right time. I have a lot of patience anyway.

18. Drum_modek’s avatar

Ohhhh yeeeahhh!!!!! Thank’s, i’m waiting for you.
    Listen to me everybody: This man not is a man… He is one machine!!!!
    Jeje, i’m spanish and don’t talk … And don’t undestand nothing to english.
    Escuse me and thank you.

19. Ivo’s avatar

What about a patcher for game backups that could enable the exploits for later firmwares? aka 1.81 and beyond. As i understand liscences can be generated or packages created from eboots… Only no way to get the games if u dont rave like craven.

· 1 · 2 · 3