Vita CFW leaked, Coldbird leaves the scene

There’s lots of things to be said about what just happened over the past couple days, and sadly I don’t have much time right now, but answers will be given asap to all of you. What matters for now is that a PSP Kernel exploit, as well as a CFW relying on it, fully working on the PS Vita, was leaked 2 days ago by a “Sam Jordam” guy on Youtube (download links below). One of the main persons behind this work (which wasn’t supposed to be released now), famous PSP developer Coldbird, decided to leave the scene today, after this leak happened.

I will give as much details as I can in the days to come, but for now let me just say that the files that were leaked have been confirmed by Coldbird to contain a Kernel exploit, but these files are encrypted, and potentially useless for anybody who does not have strong reverse engineering skills. Coldbird has confirmed to me (and in his blog) he has no plan anymore to release this CFW, so what we have here is a Kernel exploit that will most likely be wasted since I expect Sony to patch the vulnerability in a firmware update.

In addition to the Kernel exploit leak, the name of a game with a usermode exploit (as well as the user mode exploit) was also leaked. That game is the PSP Mini Urbanix, which, if you can read between the lines, readers of this blog already knew was vulnerable. If you are on 1.81, I recommend you get this game before it gets removed from the PSN, fully knowing that as of now, I personally don’t have anything running on this exploit (in particular no VHBL release is ready for this yet).

People who are running on 1.80 with the Monster Hunter exploits might want to stay on 1.80. If anything useful ever comes out of the kernel exploit, I am sure it will run fine on Monster Hunter as well.

At this point I think a bit more info is required about the leaker and how all of this was leaked. A private group of beta testers existed for this exploit, and in a sad chain of events, this person (who goes by the names of Sam Jordam, Batman:beyond, or ipadboy, among other of his identities) got his hands on these files through some basic social engineering, and decided to publish them.

It needs to be emphasized that all people involved were aware of the legal risk of publicly releasing such a tool, but this person seems to not be afraid of that (good for him, I guess, he probably thinks he can succeed where geohot and graf_chokolo failed). The hackers even went as far as encrypting the files to limit the damage in case those files were stolen, which is why, in their current state, the files are useless.

I also need to insist on the fact that, in unrelated events, this person had threatened the security of my site several times in the past, involving threats of hacking this site, attempts at stealing information,  illegal port and vulnerability scanning, as well as threats to some members of our community and some of our moderators. This person also insists on his video that hackers were trying to hide this hack from the scene in order to enjoy the hack for themselves, which is not true. Simply, most hackers working on that type of thing are realistic about the legal risks of enabling piracy on Sony’s latest device, which doesn’t seem to have crossed that individual’s mind. In other words, a truly great person, who doesn’t seem to worry he is doing illegal stuff.

Some of you might question the decision from Coldbird to leave the scene and not release his work after this. Please understand that it was not an easy decision for him, but there is way too much risk in releasing a Kernel exploit on the PS Vita right now, from a legal point of view. Sam Jordam took the risk of being the first person to release a tool that could easily enable PSP piracy on the PS Vita, while reasonable hackers were all clever enough to avoid these dangerous waters until know, and keep their work for themselves. Will this lead to Sony taking legal action against this guy? I can’t tell for sure, but other hackers didn’t want to be the ones testing the waters for that. Their files were stolen, so legally everything is on this guy’s shoulders, and I understand that nobody else would want to share the legal burden with a leaker, so there is a huge risk nobody will ever even try to touch these files.

There is also the feeling in the community right now that this person should not be helped. He decided to leak some files? Good for him, now let’s let him reverse engineer the files, and figure out a way to get it to work for everybody else. And if some of you disagree with this and think he could use some help, for the good of the community, then knock yourself out, the files are out in the open, I won’t judge (I’m sure most users would be happy with a PSP Kernel exploit on the vita right now).

As far as I’m concerned, I will try to get at least VHBL to run on the Game exploit, in order for this to not go to waste, and some people have already offered some help on that (they will be named in time).

Keep in mind that all that’s happening today is the result of the actions of one single person, and that is the only person to blame.

TL,DR: Some files containing a User mode exploit in Urbanix, as well as a Kernel exploit (that still has to be reverse engineered) were leaked by a youtube user named Sam Jordam. This guy was a known a##hole for some time already, and has proven to be up to his reputation. The files he stole then leaked are encrypted and not usable for anybody in their current state. One of the only persons who could have helped with this, famous hacker Coldbird, decided to leave the scene after this. There is so far one can go for the love of homebrews.

Bye Coldbird, and thanks for everything !

Download

The leaked files can be downloaded here

Details and source: Coldbird, Sam Jordam

1. zercath’s avatar

comes down to these devs selfish ways,able to run.iso and not releasing coz its not the right time?yeah like it will hurt million dollar sony

1. juchmis’s avatar

Considering who made it I believe the intention of the developer was to release it at some point.

There is a “right time” with these things. When exploits are incredibly easy (DS, PSP) and many people take advantage of it you’re going to lose support for the system.

It’s not Sony they were worried about, screw Sony, it was the developers who make the Vita games and the PSN titles. They’re the ones who lose with piracy. Console pirates aren’t like most other pirates. Due to the nature of the console hacks you usually lose the ability to run most of the services legit consoles have access too. Usually once their console is hacked they only buy a handful of games afterwards.

Do developers have a right to keep their work private? Yes, but they have to keep their work private. As soon as they give it to any other person they forfeit the right to keep it contained. In fact as soon as the work leaves their head, a developer no longer truly has control of it.

2. Crimson’s avatar

Temptation is a dangerous thing indeed in the history of mankind…. O_O

3. TheHollander’s avatar

here is what he posted lately… this dumbass it trying to justify what he did… Unbeleivable, I’ve been around this since HBL was just a baby getting its first leg on the patapon exploit… and its sad to see some dumbass ruin it for everyone… according to him, HE says he wins if he kills off the scene… (pretty much what I got from the blog on Coldbirds site)… so why the hell would everybody let thjis inbred win?… Keep it goin’ strong…

1. TheHollander’s avatar

Guess I better add the link to what he posted… lol…

1. TheHollander’s avatar

to me… reguardless of his “truth in what happened”-bull shit… He had NO RIGHT, doing what he did… Try to justify it all he wants to, but he really did some damage… and UNFORGIVABLE, to say the least…

1. juchmis’s avatar

Free speech and whatnot. Someone shares data with you, no legal binding not to share it and you can share it.

More of a gray area as I see it.

1. Corey96’s avatar

Juchmis, the leak was technically legal but just because it’s legal doesn’t mean it’s right.

2. Kr0n1kK1ll3r’s avatar

This is why people go underground and keep things for themselves because they cannot trust a person to hold information. I hope you do not work for a company that deals in software because you are the type that would void the NDA. Freedom of speech is one thing, intellectual property is another.

4. HackThiefcoder93’s avatar

Coldbird,Thanks for all of your hard work that you did for us (Sony consumers) starting from the pro firmwares (i still use on my psp go)up to this kernel exploit (kexploit) (although leekers f**ked it all up. you contributed a lot to the scene and we will surly miss you.

5. Xian183’s avatar

Want to read Coldbird’s say in this?? Go to his blog at:

6. Apposed’s avatar

Got the game :) Ima try it on 1.80

1. DjEdih’s avatar

You are a dumb boy. Can’t you see?
      The files that he uploaded won’t work.

7. headwing45’s avatar

So let me see if I got this right, Wololo had files that could help to hack the Vita for ISO’s, then this Sam guy leaked them and made them useless because Sony’s going to patch them?

Does that sound right?

1. juchmis’s avatar

No they’re useless right now because they’re encrypted from the origin.

Not even Sony can access them to patch the exploit because it’s encrypted.

1. dramaLove’s avatar

So what would be the main problem to continue the work? No real harm done unless the encryption is easy to break by Sony. Scene should reorganize (again) and think who to trust. Oh, the every-year scene drama.

1. Zephyr8965’s avatar

It’s not just about the exploit getting patched, it’s legal issues. The files technically contain copyrighted material from Sony, so it was illegal to spread those files to begin with and Sony can press charges. Anyone touching those files and redistributing them is risking legal action from Sony.

2. Jd8531’s avatar

afaik Wololo didn’t have the files

8. alex’s avatar

reading TheHollander’s post about “according to him ‘he says he wins if he kills the scene’” It makes me wonder if some people contact Sony and try to ruin the scene in exchange for pay from Sony. I cant really see any other reason to destroy some ones hard work and effort just for the hell of it. It’s really a sad day when things like this happen in the scene. Thanks for your work Coldbird,good luck in all your future endeavors you’ll be missed.
    To all those who honestly keep the scene alive, moving, and in good spirits- good for you keep up the good work.

And for those of you (and you know deep down who you are) trying to destroy the scene, and cause strife among the devs. SHAME ON YOU, GET AL LIFE.

1. TheHollander’s avatar

I think you hit it on the nose… I’ve kinda been wonderin’ the same, as to if people are being paid by sony… I just don’t see any other reason…

9. PrimeNexes’s avatar

HE Is Leaving the VITA community not the PSP PRO community.
    He Will be developing for PSP
    Take A look :http://forum.coldbird.uk.to/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=736

10. NinjaKakashi’s avatar

My personal opinion is that coolbird should of kept his faith and if this Sam Jordam didn’t live in the United States I would personally go and put a mask on smash his house up when he is gone including his vita if it was there and leave like I may or may not have done to bad asses in the uk:)

1. Zephyr8965’s avatar

It’s not about faith. Those files are pushing some heavy legal boundaries and everyone involved is risking legal action for their distribution. However, since Sam leaked them, he is solely responsible. Also however, this does mean that now Sony is going to be watching the scene like a hawk, hoping to catch the other hackers in the act. It’s not just a matter of faith, but a matter of the scene just being too hot right now.

11. SSJ-Vita’s avatar

This isn’t going to make sense and that’s fine, but I blame gravity. And sony a little bit, but mostly gravity, I shall defy you yet!

12. windgust’s avatar

well would this mean that sony will have like this way to kill the homebrew on there next firmware?. if it will should coldbird release the unencrypted files or its a lose.not sure whats going to happen now thats why im asking. if the files would be no good might as will remove then from the download sony will just fix or patch it right?

13. Sakuryu’s avatar

Out of respect I wont download the files and won’t do anything more on my vita. Coldbird was an innovator and brought us the amazing PRO firmware. He and the others stated explicitly that it should NOT be released until the scene and the device got legs underneath it. At this point PS/Sony will block this and patch a hole that will now be useless in less then two months. Way to go Batman:beyond, I always had a feeling from your posts that you would be the death of us. I know its bad but I hope full legal action is levied against you.

14. Cloud Strife’s avatar

hmmm strange while browsing some of the cfw files in hex i noticed a reference to a different psp game, a folder called UCJS10041 which i believe is the japanese version of Loco Roco.. curious…

15. SSJ-Vita’s avatar

I just said that to inject a little humor in the atmostphere. If this Sam fellow indeed had financial incentive to do what he did and of course assuming sony is the supplier of said incentive, than in the words of Harvey Dent: “The Joker is a maddog, I want whoever let him off his leash”. Personally I want sony sales to drop to incline them to produce better user end experience but not enough as to ruin the vita. Maybe even this will have a good effect in that people will lose interest in a tablet that is nothing like a tablet enough to where sony finally makes this potential beast a beast. I could be dead wrong and it’s only an opinion. If vita had flash or at least full html5, my opinion would be vastly different. Thanks for all of your combined hard work, good luck and a speedy recovery from these events devs.

16. mohsin’s avatar

he dint leave it all together the psp is his main priority now

17. l.o’s avatar

how to put it on the vita

18. Mr McGoo’s avatar

If im not mistaking, psn is down in US. It wont let me sign in so I believe that they have already started there work.

1. TheHollander’s avatar

Yeah… it kicked me outta Hustle Kings PS3… That sam guy’s probably from the part of the US where Fathers marry their daughters, and cousins breed with each other, producing water-headed retard posers like Sam… Bet ya $5 his parents are related to each other… no joke…

1. Mr McGoo’s avatar

Haha, I think he has 2 dads. Fuckin douchdough bag he is

2. clicks’s avatar

Crude stereotype, there’s no need to attack an entire region over one troll.

2. Jd8531’s avatar

Game and PSN are still up

19. letsrapetheleaker’s avatar

THIS IS MOAR TRAGIC THAN THE CRUCIFIXION OF JESUS CHRIST!!!! :*+(

1. DTeKDeV’s avatar

Chill out

20. rophy’s avatar

lemme check the time gap

21. auron’s avatar

wow… is the sony hack scene really this childish to supposedly hide and hack website of being “unfair” the iOS hack scene are more organized with their stuff. get it together.

22. Zonic’s avatar

So what happens now? Does Jordam get away with no punishment? Does the Vita scene disappear for a while? What does the future hold for security on the Vita? Only time will tell I guess.

23. JAUZMAN’s avatar

Just like to say thanks COLDBIRD for everything man!
    Love my PSP.I have a VITA too,just wish the thing would play iso’s. Love you too WOLOLO man!Keep up the good work and Fuck this Sam Jordam asshole for fuckn it up for everyone!

JAUZMAN……….Peace!

24. Sam jordam’s avatar

Ahhh@#$%…just don’t know what all the fuss is about..

1. Mr McGoo’s avatar

Ahh shlitz, here comes a good old fashion bashin.

2. PSVitality’s avatar

You Be Fuckin The Scene Up Asshole
      Everybody Hates you now
      We Got Ur Email too
      and Soon We Will have your IP

25. iPhone’s avatar

Just read this one: http://coldbird.uk.to/?e=9

And I don’t really get it… What is this for? OK, I get the explaining part about Sam Jordam, but why are we being punished by taking the CFW away forever? Since the files are encrypted so that noone will use them than why not release it like you planned later in the future, hmm? The only thing that was leaked was the news that You Guys were working on a CFW. Or maybe You expect that someone will decrypt those files somehow? I really don’t get it.

26. goglu666’s avatar

File has been removed.

27. mxriozero’s avatar

Un Pregunta yo tengo Urbanix en 1.80 esto funciona???

28. madden 13’s avatar

yo I find this shit funny dude is on his way out i was just on his youtube video and people are really upset. Smh i wonder when sony is going to step in…

29. PSVitality’s avatar

Sam Deleted the CFW Files

1. goglu666’s avatar

Might be a wise move if Sony did not react fast enough.

2. Jd8531’s avatar

“If it makes you people feel any better, I’m sorry. ;)” What a fu…urgh

30. Darenvy’s avatar

I take this as bad news. Very unfortunate :(. I don’t think I will be downloading the game because I am on 1.61 with Everybody’s tennis :P

31. solidiego’s avatar

I know maybe he will never read it but I want to express all off my gratitude for everything he did for the scene.
    We will miss you Coldbird

32. Jdubz’s avatar

Crap…must’ve just missed the files. >_<

1. PSVitality’s avatar

They were encrypted so they didn’t work anyway

33. Lelouch’s avatar

Thank you Coldbird for all of your great work. Your post was going to make me cry. I don’t know if I want Sony to have gotten the files and patch the CFW or not. All I know is that Sam Jordam is a scumbag.

34. Lelouch’s avatar

I hope there is legal action taken against Sam Scumbag Jordan.

1. Lelouch’s avatar

*Jordam

2. clicks’s avatar

Sony won’t punish someone for helping their own anti-hacking cause, unfortunately. Hopefully I’m wrong.

35. Norml’s avatar

36. 00’s avatar

man FUCK SAM JORDAN, dont be surprised when everybody is totally silent about possible kxploits or whatever the future brings, this guy really just wants to mess with the scene for no reason…..

37. b2p1mp’s avatar

The price of storing psp and psx on the vita memstick is just so much higher than the price of putting it on a psp. If you want kernel then get a psp. Simple and effective. Eventually we all will want to update beyond 1.81 even if vhbl is released. Also my psp/psx games on the vita loading times are even slower than on a psp with extra RAM.

1. clicks’s avatar

Yeah, it’s funny that I sold my PSP just so I can buy a Vita, and then only buy PSP games in order to run PSP homebrew on my Vita. Damn Vita games always being pushed back…

38. Tzo’s avatar

is it urbanix or Jewel Keepers:Easter Island + Urbanix or there is a singular game or combined.

gonna download in hope of a kernel

39. Apposed’s avatar

Won’t work :( Only for 1.69 and under… I just found that out. >.<

40. xoombie503’s avatar

wont work on nothing noob..learn the f to read…
    btw where is dark_alex when you need him.this is the worst that could happen to the scene after dark_alex was abducted by alliens.

1. PlayStation Vita’s avatar

dark alex left the scene because sony was making his life a nightmare.

1. fate6’s avatar

he left because of of people like Sam

2. Tzo’s avatar

Yeh but even in the blog if someone can reverse engineer it could be possible.

Downloaded files in case anything does eventually pop up… I had SC3 but updated on the very slight chance of this happening.

I like to live in hope of Crisis core and Tomba one day being playable on my vita.

41. xoombie503’s avatar

or was he an allien?

42. Gourcuff’s avatar

I am going to sell my Vita and buy a PSP since we will never get a CFW on it.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

No one said never, right now on hiatus

43. Dj Android’s avatar

Thats a same :( ….But ill stick to my VCFW. At least thats under LOCKS!

44. Chasez671’s avatar

It’s really cool how everyone is uniting and backing up Coldbird.

45. Dovahkiin’s avatar

FFS!!! There goes another idiot!!! This is the reason why people will never develop on the scene. I just want to punch that guy in the face right now!!!

46. Mw2b4sk8’s avatar

I was jw wondering where I could get the files and that what will happen about the pro cfw for the 1000. This is a shame and words can’t describe how cold bird prob feels.

1. Dovahkiin’s avatar

Coldbird will still continue with Pro online just no more PSVita work…

1. Mw2b4sk8’s avatar

Thank you goodtohere but where can get the files

1. Xian183’s avatar

Mw2b4sk8, the files are encrypted and cannot be used unless you can reverse engineer them. If you feel you have that ability, I have them and can email them to you.

1. Mw2b4sk8’s avatar

Idont think I can buy I have a friend that can look a them possibly but I would like to have them tho just because plz email them to me -noobcool1@yahoo.com

2. Xian183’s avatar

Files have been sent, my username on her is xian183 so shoot me a pm if you have any problems. im no dev but ill do my best

2. neverthewiseone’s avatar

the biggest loser here is the plain users. i cant blame sam because this was the only way for him to be famous to the scene so he grab it and now it sucks to be him.

47. multiboy2k’s avatar

“The cycle continues, in the end, Sam does win. The real point is to make the developer quit, that’s more gold than a finished product released to the public. Basically a $ony worker, they love hearing about developers quitting the scene.

One day, I have a feeling Cold will at least finish what he started. Thanks again though, without people like you, the consumer continues to get screwed by these big companies.”

PRECISELY THIS.

I dont understand why Coldbird feels a need to “quit” behind this.
    Him quitting is exactly the payload that was to be expected. In war, the best way to destroy an enemy, is to have him destroy himself. Mission Accomplished.

btw…wololo I was trying to tell you last month that something was afoot at the highest levels and possibly in your own camp. It was not my place to spell it out to you. The internet is both big and small.

Coldbyrd: Why are you not defying gravity in this situation? Show us your strength.
    Fly above this. Reconsider your position in this fight.

1. fgghjjkll’s avatar

I don’t think you understand the legal consequences that follow if he were to announce he was continuing this project.

This was kept under wraps for the sole reason of not letting Sony know, not us know.

If he continued Vita CFW development, he’d be asking for a lawsuit.

Please, consider Coldbird’s current position. I feel that he really wants to continue developing this CFW, but now that everything is uncovered, to avoid being sued, he has to abandon this scene.

1. multiboy2k’s avatar

I agree with this.
        You are 100% correct in this assertion.

I have been a Coldbyrd fan for a very long time. I let emotion temporarily cloud sound judgement.

2. 2die4’s avatar

their is no law suit unless you release they hypothetical work does not warrent or will not allowe a law suit and once you have done the job release it anon so no blowback everyone will know who it is but as long as you do not come and say it was me it was me they cant do anything

48. modderexcess’s avatar

the files do work. although they arent really encrypted. its more of a decrypted pack file which remains to not work publicly. i will release the files once i can get them publicly working.

49. Mr. Awsome’s avatar

DAMNIT! THE FILES ARE DELETED!

50. BakedOnSomeSour’s avatar

this samuel kid is a fuckin dick. great job asshole!!!

· 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 ·