Vita Firmware 1.81 is out, patches VHBL

As expected, the latest PS Vita firmware update is a “security release” which will prevent you from running VHBL through Monster Hunter. It still remains to be confirmed if all games of the series have been patched, but I’m pretty sure the answer will be yes.

Does this mean you cannot use VHBL anymore? No! As long as you stay on firmware 1.80 (and assuming you did Buy one of the Monster Hunter games when it was still time), you can use Open CMA to copy your homebrews to the Vita without upgrading. If your Vita (or CMA) insist that you update to 1.81, don’t lose hope. I have been told that the Vita can “forget” it saw the latest update if you hard-reset it. Or was it that you need to reset factory settings? Well, either way, try to not put yourself into a situation where the Vita asks for an update, but if it happens, be sure to try and reset it before you decide your console is doomed to upgrade.

Of course, you might want to update to 1.81 in order to be able to connect to the PSN. If you do this, you will lose access to VHBL through the Monster Hunter exploit. There might be other VHBL releases in the future to bring compatibility with this new firmware, but we don’t have anything scheduled yet, and one thing is sure, we will not be able to magically revive the exploit from Monster Hunter, so don’t even ask, and update at your own risk.

For those of you who decide to stay on 1.80 for VHBL, openCMA is currently the only way to copy homebrews to your Vita.

Download

Download open CMA here

1. clicks’s avatar

Man… Bought MHFU to update in anticipation for Persona 4 Golden (though at the time I was expecting it in October, not November). Everything I want for the Vita is always being pushed back and Sony is playing the same old game with the homebrew community…

With my only Vita owning friend selling his Vita, it’s getting harder and harder to justify keeping this pricey piece of hardware when money is so short everywhere…

1. Nick’s avatar

i hear you my friend sold his too im tring to hold off for black ops declassified but i dont know.

2. nCadeRegal’s avatar

thats wierd my reply didnt post?

3. solidsnake’s avatar

oh man. why is sony so focused on security. sony should make more games not firmware!!

1. An M n M’s avatar

So when Black Ops Declassified or GTA V comes out for PS Vita and your required to update, you guys are still gonna be using VHBL? Nice

1. jeremymd’s avatar

I know I would. Right now, 1.80 seems like our last stand. if anything miraculous is going to happen overnight(like vita finally gets fully working cfw), it will be for those who stayed with 1.80. i’m assuming it’s pretty much like how in the early psp scene, only those who were running 1.50 fw could run homebrew and downgrading fw was downright dangerous back then.

so i would stay on old firmware as long as possible simply because it’s the easiest thing to upgrade and a nightmare to downgrade if ever you need to.

4. solidsnake’s avatar

i mean. they need to focus on the gamers more, not the company. GAMERS is what keeps their company going!!!!

5. jdubz’s avatar

Well, as much as i dont want to say this, I think sony has destroyed vhbl. Think about this past release, and how sony handled it. If they can suck up money from an exploited game and then patch it after they’ve made their money and render the exploit useless, how many ppl at this point do you think will continue to even bother putting vhbl on their device? How many devs will continue to support it? I know I am skeptical. Guess we’ll just have to wait for a kxploit so we can come back at sony with glorious vengeance.

1. wololo’s avatar

This is not different from what they did before, except this time they did not remove the game. It is still possible to keep using VHBL if you stay on 1.80 and use openCMA.

1. jdubz’s avatar

Ya, but I dont ever remember them doing forced updates that patch it a week later. :( Sucks being able to choose between homebrew and full functionality of vita. Sigh…

6. Dr_Spikes’s avatar

Stupid sony who cares if people wanna run vhbl on there vita its not gonna hurt any one and its like the koolest thing out
    Sony needs to stop with the firmware updatein and stArt maken some new games
    New firmware is just gonna stop people from goin on the psn store and buyen stuff
    I cant play online thanks to sony
    F the new update

7. Dr_Spikes’s avatar

I hate the word update

8. SonyIsRacist’s avatar

Sony said that N-ggers are the reason the Vita will fail.

1. An M n M’s avatar

Damn, Sony needs to make up their minds. They also said that rednecks were the reason the Vita would fail. *facepalm*

1. LOLZ’s avatar

Wut?! That’s just damn stupid excuse.

2. Ahahahahaha’s avatar

Yep cause n*#gers like me won’t buy that dumb shit cause we know psp’s are only good for half baked remakes of games that are already out ps vita is no different

9. Azio’s avatar

Hey wololo if i updated cant i run the vhbl

1. jdubz’s avatar

No you have to stay on 1.8 for vhbl to work. Hope you got everything from psn store that you want for a while. :P

10. gjanko2’s avatar

is there anyway to bypass the update?

1. gjanko2’s avatar

I am having trouble with installing open CMA any advice?

11. Ted Sheckler’s avatar

FIDDLESTICKS!~
    I just got my Vita in today and purchased MHU last week on my PS3. The Vita is on FW 1.67 so I thought I was good, what I didn’t know is that it forces you to update before you can transfer anything.
    Anyway to bypass this or transfer the game through my PC somehow?

1. wololo’s avatar

As far as I can remember, transferring from your PS3 to your Vita does not require you to update… does it?

1. Ted Sheckler’s avatar

Doesn’t seem to be giving me much choice, like the PC content manager it requires the PS3 to be online so it can check for updates. Looks like I’m boned for now. :)

1. LOLZ’s avatar

If you look at the Vita side there are more firmware updates that are made. Of course, PSP too have that much update, but it got more games made for it. Too bad for Vita, for having only firmware update than games.

12. CharlieLafd’s avatar

Ok i think i have found a way to still get mhfu on your ps vita without updating, first download mediago which allows you to access the psp part of psn, then buy/download mhfu, then transfer the game to your ps vita using openCMA. Someone correct me if im wrong, but i think this would work

1. CharlieLafd’s avatar

trying right now with a demo, will report back once its done downloading

1. CharlieLafd’s avatar

If anyone knows how to recompile an extracted .pkg file into a normal psp game file, could you please tell me how?

1. alpmaster007’s avatar

I tried that once Media Go is not going to convert the PSP Game into A PSVITA image. =[

13. razor’s avatar

How do I erase VHBL zip files from my vita?

1. alpmaster007’s avatar

You want to use PSP Plorer install through VHBL

1. razor’s avatar

what? PSP Plorer? Where do I get that?

14. cesarprr’s avatar

TINHA QUE INVENTAR O ANT CMA SO p QUEBRAR A BARERA DO CMA UM CODIGO QUE DA ERRO NO CMA PARA LIBERAR O DISCO REMOVIVEL DO MESMO SISTEMA DO PSP OU UMA ISPECE DE VIRUS NÂO ISPECE MANIGUINO QUE O ANTVITUS NÂO detectar ELE — ENTRAR NO SISTEMA PSN CAPITURAR OS CODIGOS DO SISTEMA OPERACIONAL DA PSN

15. cesarprr’s avatar

ESSA E UMA BOA IDEIA USANDO PENSAMENTOS SUPERIORES COM DIFICULDADE EU QUEBRO A BARERA DO CMA

16. Amatsu’s avatar