New Tech Lets You Go Into Videogames: Sony/Microsoft in Beta Phase

This is it people, a new era of video games has started. The era of actually going into the video game, and being able to feel, touch, smell and hear, yes you read that right. Just about every company you can think of has started testing and we could see this technology as early as next year. I’ll explore what its all about, what it means for you and how it will change everything. Keep Reading!

Now as revolutionary as the tech sounds, its not what you think. Pressing a button will not suck you into your tv like that one episode of South Park, but companies have started working on new technology where we could get the same level of immersion and in the coming years be able to feel, touch, see and smell whats going on in the video game world. Its absurd, its real and the possibilities are endless. Just imagine battling dragons in a huge world like Skyrim albeit feeling the dragons fire or being hit by a troll and being launched in the air by said massive troll wouldn’t feel great, but it would be life changing. Games like Left 4 Dead or Silent Hill would make you really sweat profusely, make your heart race and actually fear the consequences of dying. The possibilities endless; not just the game industry would be changed completely but blatantly the sex industry as well as the film and medical industries. The technology behind it is already in development phase by an abundant number of companies and we could see audio and visual immersion as early as this year with the ability to use our senses in the next 25 years with graphics that could match or even surpass real life.

We have all seen failed attempts at Virtual Reality dating back to the 1920s with a first real attempt by Sony who released the Glasstron Headset in 1997. The technology just wasn’t there at that time but now everyone is looking to change things and make use of it. Sony is going to be showing off a prototype head-mounted VR display at the Tokyo Game Show this year. Ironically it’s called the HMZ Immersive Pleasure Device. You can watch a trailer thats only in Japanese[translation below]

“What level of immersion is it possible for people to achieve? Now, a new entertainment experiment explores that possibility: The HMZ Immersing Pleasure Device head-mounted display. Developed as an open experiment, this model has a head-tracking system and live camera. Tokyo Game Show 2012 limited model PROTOTYPE-SR. New 360-degree immersible entertainment sensation. The world of movies and the world of music can fly into the real world. Public experiments to be conducted on the 22nd and 23rd of September. We are now recruiting for the experience (deadline 13th September). You can witness the future of entertainment.”

You may have also heard about the Oculus RIFT that’s been on kick starter and has had official backing by some legends in the game industry like id’s John Carmack who said Doom would be able to use it. It was described like this after a demo at QuakeCon2012….

“There really aren’t many words to describe the way it felt other than natural. The worst part of the demo was when I was told I was getting pulled out of the game. Honestly it took me a second to realize I wasn’t in the game anymore and remember how I was supposed to look and walk properly. This is up there as one of the greatest gaming experience in my lifetime.”

He then goes on to say:

”Once that is done you can tell the depth perception of the game very easily; I noticed my gun in front of me and the walls and objects in the room, for a lack of a better term, all had their own planes of existence. We were using an XBOX 360 controller with the demo and so the controller functioned as normal with the exception of the aiming. While it is normally used by your thumb, this time you use your head to aim. The right thumbstick on the controller still serves the purpose to turn your body around and to raise/lower your weapon.”

The most incredible part is John wanted to stress the fact that this is not consumer ready by any means. It is simply ready for developers to take a hold of it and start exploring the possibilities, if that’s the result at this point then i am absolutely looking forward to the final version. The Oculus team is not playing games either their headset can be ordered with their Kickstarter already funded surpassing $2,437,430 million dollars. Easy to use developer kits and SDKs are also being included in higher models along with the HD Doom 3 BFG edition sporting some nerdy, drooling specs. The Dev kit is to have (Subject to be changed/Upgraded) Head tracking of “6 degrees of freedom (DOF) ultra low latency”, a field of view at 110 degrees diagonal / 90 degrees horizontal, Resolution of 1280×800 (640×800 per eye), multiple inputs of DVI/HDMI and USB, only weighing .22 kilograms and working for both PC and Mobile devices. So with that in mind we could possibly see this work with the Vita! Assassins Creed simulator on the go anyone?

You didn’t think the other big companies would sit out on this huge new multi-million or billion dollar field did you?

Of course not and Microsoft, one of the many companies developing new VR technology, is looking to one up Sony and the Oculus. We saw Microsoft’s supposedly leaked xbox720 document that included a huge section on VR but wasn’t descriptive. Now they’ve recently filed for a patent and its ambitious.
They plan to turn your entire living room into a Holodeck; the game world itself. A patent has been registered by Microsoft that appears to show a Kinect-enabled Xbox unit beaming images around a player onto the walls of his living room. The tech is also being designed to work with Microsoft’s Kinect Glasses technology from the docs. That means you could be looking around your living room and seeing 3D holograms in your environment. It would blend in all of your furniture and objects in your room into the world. Furthermore, i could see space become a problem with this. Time will tell if this can work just as good as the Pleasure Device or Oculus RIFT.

Making the immersion into the video game even more real would be to incorporate the human sense as in you feeling, hearing, seeing and smelling whats going on around you. Many scientists believe its more than possible and there are many ways to go about it. Some new advancements have become the path to that already. Scientists and Billionaires have began the path to blending humans and technology together, along the lines of plugging your brain via USB into a computer and uploading your memories. Thats just the beginning, and if they are able to do this we could be immortal, when our body dies we could be plugged into a virtual world with other people (Just don’t delete system32). Bio medical and Nanotechnologies are becoming more expansive. Ray Kurzweil, is one of the many and he says we could be at that stage in as little as 25 years. Ray has received nineteen honorary Doctorates and honors from three U.S. presidents. He has also written six books, four of which have been national best sellers. Watch this video where he describes what he thinks:

Either way im excited for the future and what it brings along, not sure if my body is ready for the amount of amazing it will bring.

Here’s something fun: Don’t think graphics can match real life like Ray said? Try and see if you can guess which of these photos are real or from video games.

Answer? They’re both from Grand Theft Auto IV maxed with a realism mod!

1. Scragy’s avatar

That shit cray.

2. sage’s avatar

FINALLY!

Ii will possible be presented in a very raw form…
    But the future is bright and I am extremely excited. I waited for this since day 1 I entered the videogame world.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

I’m headed into the biomedical feild to get a doctorate doing stuff like this, raw form might be an understatement. Some of the other tech I wasnt able to talk about without a huge post is really going to change everything soon.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Field* >_<

1. sage’s avatar

Marvelous!

I am quite excited right now, thank you for the input. Indeed extremely heart-warming.

3. th3pwnsh0p’s avatar

So my friends were talking about 2d and 3d yesterday. They jokingly made a statement that 4d would have you be able to smell and feel what was in a game or movie. what the fuuuu?

4. Awsome’s avatar

Wololo,Wololo,Wololo yeah yeah Wololo song

LOL FINALLY NEW GAMING!! WONDER WHATS THE MEDICAL HEALTH PROBLEMS IMA BE PLAYING CALL OF DUTY!!!

5. Atv’s avatar

In an interview last year, William Gibson used the expression “steam engine time” (he probably didn’t invent it) in order to describe these moments when technology that has been ready for a long time finally goes to the street. Although the Romans had both the knowledge and the technology to build steam engines, steam power remained a curiosity until someone finally assembled a steam machine, which ignited the industrial revolution in the 19th century.

The same can be said of tablet computers. Many tablets has been built and sold before the iPad, but they remained confidential objects with niche applications. And all of a sudden, while all the pieces had been around for a long time, the iPad sparked it all.

3D helmets, tactile gloves, odor diffusion systems have existed for maybe 20 years. They were experimented in some movie theaters. They’ve been used in research labs and for professional applications. But they’ve not reached the street yet.

So, has steam engine time finally come for VR ?

6. KirkD’s avatar

I can only imagine how bugs might manifest themselves in gaming when using the central nervous system in the future…

News: Today, Company XYZ has issued an official apology regarding the bug with their latest game, which caused the players to feel extreme pain where only minor sensations should have been present. This bug occurred when players attempted to lift “heavy” in-game objects. A patch is expected to be available by the end of the month. Players are advised to wait until they can download and install this patch before continuing play.

7. alatnet’s avatar

Soon, The World ala .hack!

1. SuzieJoeBob’s avatar

I have always dreamed of a .hack game with virtual reality; it may soon be possible… hopefully it will be released for NTSC systems…

I think that pokemon game would be interesting as well, especially if there is one where you play as the pokemon. Then, the tv show’s “dodge X” or “grab the enemy’s vinewhip” would finally be possible.

8. Aye Guy’s avatar

*Nerdgasm*

9. Randqalan’s avatar

The matrix has you…..:o

10. ATG’s avatar

where can i download that gta IV mod????

1. Randqalan’s avatar

Look here but this is not the place for this

2. Jd8531’s avatar

AFAIK It’s just for PC right now.

11. PSPcfwDUDE’s avatar

Oh..my…god! Well, i was surprised with the new VR display/device by Sony, but, i was AMAZED with the 2 screenshots by GTA IV with realism mod. Technology has reached new levels…

12. codestorm’s avatar

I’m REALLY excited for this, I didn’t expect it to happen in my lifetime.

13. Sakuryu’s avatar

Oh yeah! *gets ready for THE WORLD and .hack// level tech

14. Kefkiroth’s avatar

Let’s hope the HMZ doesn’t have a microwave…
    Anyways I’m sure the SAO fans in Japan will be pouring in to try the public experiments…

15. Bret’s avatar

Demolition Man reality sex is in my near future!!! YES, any ladies out there wanna get with me when this hits the stores??

1. zoraktorok’s avatar

No… but that fat dude off of seragates is always online (terrible speller — this is just a comment section after all)

16. Asdfjuma’s avatar

This is what makes me happy to have chosen to pursue a job in the games industry. This is something I have always been very passionate about and shows like Accel World or Sword Art Online. No matter how far away they are. Only makes me more excited to think that I could possibly be working on making something like that an actuality.

This is where the future is at.

1. zoraktorok’s avatar

Thanks for the link… PSP iso’s running on the vita has already been proven, but released vhbl exploits do not give kernal access… there is another video displaying an iso loader on vita that is legit… I’m guessing that one of those explots were used, vhbl was installed, extracted psp ISO was installed as any other hombrew and then ran through the vhbl menu…. Video starts in the vhbl menu and unfortunatly the ps button was never pressed to be able to see what it is actually being ran through… legit, i’d say, but the process behind it is unknown… not really good publicity for wololo.

2. OsirisFael’s avatar

That’s a repost of a video that the mod Fate6 posted of himself running a HEN with ymenu that he got from one of the kexploit groups. The vhbl part is just a background that he chose to use on it. Don’t get your hopes up, you’ll only get stuff like this if you are part of the in-group.

17. Tyler Guy’s avatar

25 years my ass, look how far games have come since atari, they sey technology doubles every 10 years, that grows exponentially every time, being more and more, faster and faster.

1. Randqalan’s avatar

That makes me think what would have happened if Atari did not mess up the gaming industry at the time
      How far would it be now?

18. Dalton_Corazon’s avatar

Haha… the one who wrote this article is Jd8531, I guess wololo is famous after all :p

19. Luke’s avatar

i can see on the bottom pic that the so supports of the bridge have mirrored identical textures…..must be tru

20. fabled’s avatar

Can’t wait for immortality, then my true plan can begin

1. zoraktorok’s avatar

Can’t wait for immortality ——— gotta love that :->

21. zoraktorok’s avatar

Ah, someone will press THE button befor 25 years passes… hope thats an overestimated figure. In the mean time though, does anyone remember the name of the holographic fighting game from the early 90′s? You caould only be one charcter, you seemed to fight a lot of girls and there was NO background. Video capture was used and it was a coin-op game. I remember being able to put my finger through the charcters to “phase out” body parts…. Just nastalgia but I’m wondering why the technology was there as crude as it was but I have yet to see any advancement in use…. 20 years has been a long time to finally see microsoft taking an intrest.

22. CATPowah’s avatar

So this is like virtual world gaming industry? That would be awesome. But I still like the classic ‘push a button’ game console.

1. CATPowah’s avatar

And if it happens on Monster Hunter games we will also be able to feel our a**ess kicked around by the monstars.

23. Mariew’s avatar

Cool a new drug.

24. oO Flowzilla Oo’s avatar

Sure as hell wouldn’t like to feel a zombie biting my neck…

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Im sure there wouldn’t be pain as that’d take away from the game and not be pleasant; maybe just a light sensation of warmth.

25. qwerty ace’s avatar

No thanks. I’m fine with controller lying on my sofa…

26. shades’s avatar

I agree with Jd; they will never place true pain within our videogames for a myriad of reasons (most obvious that they’d get their ass sued within an hour of launch)

Instead, “sensations” will be far more likely. You may feel impact, or pressure, but never actual pain. It just won’t happen.

27. CYDeviant’s avatar

This idea bores me… until the point in time where my subconscious can literally be suspended inside a game, that’s when I’ll start thinking about it. But having some bulky gear strapped all over my body doesn’t sound fun… “I’m going to play Skyrim..(25min later)..Ready!” It’s just kinda meh..

I enjoy playing games the way we have been for many years. I honestly don’t think this will be as big as a lot of people seem to think. Just look at the adoption of the PSMove, and Kinect, two titles that are todays VR tech. Almost nobody has them, save the Wii, but the Wii comes bundled with it’s VR gear. I strongly doubt that the next consoles from Microsoft, and Sony will include a console that is bundled with it’s new tech, like the Wii/WiiU E.g not an extra.

This sort of thing will always be a niche is what I’m trying to say. Until a console comes around that ONLY sells VR games, and ONLY uses VR tech, then we will see this move from the niche market, into the living rooms of many.

28. ChaosAgent’s avatar

Transhumanism, yay! I often joke that if I can only live long enough, I will live forever. I mean it as a joke to most people but I believe the technology will allow for immortality hopefully within my lifetime. Mind uploading, nano medical (medichines), cloning/rejuv (bio-hacking :)), etc. Beyond the singularity the line between reality and games will blur until reality is whatever you want it to be. Fun stuff.

29. jhgerm’s avatar

Hey can we make it to Heaven with that stuff inside us i think not…

1. ChaosAgent’s avatar

… I think that is like saying you can’t get into heaven with your Vita. Don’t all religions separate the soul from the body? The body is the vessel, right? I just wanna pimp my ride :)

30. Goddaryu’s avatar

The sony HMZ-T1′s have been out for months now, thats all that jap ad was about..

31. gamer 1995’s avatar

not that stupid matrix stuff again Randqalan? I’ve love track of how many people has been trying to get me to believe our world is the matrix but i cant wait for this to come out, its gonna be awsome!

32. gamer 1995’s avatar

sorry i meant lost track