(Video) PS Vita native “Hello World” by YifanLu

Update: Yifanlu has pulled the video in order to avoid too much hype like his previous announcement. Sorry :/

Developer YifanLu, who recently revealed he has been working a Vita usermode exploit, is teasing us with a 3D demo running through (I assume) his work in progress “Usermode Vita Loader” (UVL). Video below.

This video is no visual proof that he is actually running an exploit, but based on his reputation and previous work on the Xperia Play and on the Kindle, you can definitely trust that this is not a simple “hey look, I can use PSM” type of video.

The video itself is quite impressive compared to the “cube” sample we have been used to in the unofficial SDK back in the days of the PSP. Clearly, the Vita has some horsepower willing to be fully exploited. Yes, if, as many people assume, this is an exploit within the code of Playstation Mobile, it will have the limitations that come with this application. After all, this is yet another sandboxed system on the Vita, but it looks much more promising than the PSP emulator, in terms of raw power and I/O access.

Some fear that this could lead to bad things to the Vita, although it has been stated many times by Yifanlu himself that this cannot possibly be used to pirate Vita games (try to think rationally: Sony gave away their PSM sdk for free to hundreds of thousands of developers, do you think they would have done that if there was a tiny bit of possibility that this system could be used to remove the protection of Vita games? Let’s be serious one minute). I, on the other hand, fear that this exploit could be easily patched by Sony the way they patch game exploits on the PSP emulator. The main difference being that we have dozens of exploits in PSP games, while this one for now, is quite unique.

There is no word on a release for this now. In the meantime, Monster Hunter is still available on the PSN, and will let you run VHBL :)

Source: Yifanlu

1. Sessohmaru209’s avatar

Gpsp is freezing on me and have glutches and issues emulating the video.

1. aki’s avatar

Everything seems to freeze about 30-40 minutes in,.. gPSP, Snesx, even Cave Story,.. It is really peculiar,..

2. Sessohmaru209’s avatar

This is great news btw. Some games dont work like mario advanced super mario world. I load the rom up it says game corrupted.

1. Gabeapp’s avatar

try redownloading the roms for a different website like coolrom or something

2. WiL’s avatar

Actually try changing the game boot from game cart to your gba.bios

3. psVitovic’s avatar

so this is how the new homebrews might look like? impressive!

4. OMFGOMFG’s avatar

Biggest. Boner. Just now. I kid you not…

1. >_>’s avatar

Cool. Story. Bro. No, really……

2. Turd Sandwich’s avatar

Biggest. Idiot. Right now. I kid you not…

1. Trey’s avatar

Biggest. Idiot. *Right here. I kid you not…If you’re going to insult someone, at least have it make sense.

5. BakaOsaka’s avatar

How was this developed, Sony SDK?

1. BakaOsaka’s avatar

Yes, but I mean what development kit was used?

1. SMOKE’s avatar

Playstation Mobile

6. Mars’s avatar

That video is sexy as hell.

7. O-bake’s avatar

Perfect SNES emulation just one step ahead?

1. M’s avatar

Yes, I long for the day when I’m able to play an unredacted game of Super Metroid due to all the Mode 7 effects being blanked out.

8. Dutt’s avatar

This will be so good for game ports like quake1 2 and 3 and all FPS… cant wait.

9. Jvhellraiser’s avatar

Direct link please!!!!!! iam on my Psvita!!

1. Adin’s avatar

Err, read “There is no word on a release for this now. In the meantime, Monster Hunter is still available on the PSN, and will let you run VHBL.”.

10. Johnny Cage’s avatar

Can we expect to see a GameCube emulator on PS Vita one day through this exploit?

1. Rowan’s avatar

Most likely not, the console used to run the emulator needs to be at least 10x times faster for smooth no lag/jitters/bottlenecking and the vita isnt a huge step above the game cube, maybe ps2 but i doubt it

1. Acid_Snake’s avatar

I assure you the Vita is NOT 10x faster than the psp and it can emulate it perfectly.

2. Acid_Snake’s avatar

Also, the ps3 IS 10x faster than ps2, yet it can’t perfectly emulate the ps2

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Exactly its more about how its programmed than anything however specs do matter

3. thevoiceover’s avatar

so you are pretty much saying the gamecube is more powerful than the PS2 ?

1. MikeBeav3r’s avatar

I actually thought that WAS the case, the Cube and original Xbox were better than the PS2 spec wise, I may be wrong of course…….

2. jacob’s avatar

voiceover, it’s completely circumstantial based on hardware, how it runs, and everything that Acid stated. However, yes, Gamecube is definitely more powerful than PS2. But that’s not really why.

1. thevoiceover’s avatar

yeah, I agree about the specs – I just know how hard it was for developers (not too many tools) to code on PS2, primarily b/c of the 64bit Emotion Engine (remember jaguar — 68k CPU which is an external 32bit proc and a 64bit “Tom and Jerry” blitter and object, causing hell for the coders b/c nobody new how to develop well except that ASM God, Mr Minter himself..

I do however feel Gamecube is a little more straight forward and for that reason possibly easier to emulate. Gaming wise I probably have had more time out of my Gamecube as I still play it now thanks to DIOS MIOS and Devolution (devo is great, runs GC games at full Wii speed w/ streaming audio off IOS58 (no CIOS needed.)

2. Johnny Cage’s avatar

I have a quite slow laptop but Dolphin runs quite smoothly on it, so why not on Vita :)

1. Darkanubis74’s avatar

i’m pretty sure I read that the Gamecube was the MOST powerful system of that generation, it just didn’t have the amount of quality titles xbox and ps2 did. such a wasted system.

1. Trey’s avatar

Not really lol…Think about the list of games on the GC compared to the Wii. The GC had the best game library in Nintendo history, in my opinion.

11. 7’s avatar

Just came I kid you not, no really I kid you fxcking not >_> <_<

12. ky0_sama’s avatar

I get this feeling that a release is more imminent than people might imagine… probably the biggest question as to when he will release is whether or not he chooses to wait for another firmware update or just release for 1.8. I suspect the exploit will be fully developed lonnnng before that happens.

I just hope the Vita hardware is beefy enough for full speed N64 emulation. At the point, I think the Vita might just become my most irreplaceable system :)

1. Rowan’s avatar

By all means its enough once a dev makes a propper emulator, Banjo tooie(didnt work on psp) here i come

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Banjo kazooie and tooie worked? And its working on my vita now.

2. OsirisFael’s avatar

Well, my dual core 1.5 ghz phone can run it pretty much full speed. I’m sure that the Vita will be fine being quad core, as long as it’s coded well. I mean, hell, the latest daedalus revision runs pretty much full speed on most things on VHBL and that’s like a single core at 333mhz or under.

13. Essomet’s avatar

Holy fuck, the demo is awesome!!
    Can’t wait for awesome emulators to pop up
    after the release. I hope it’s made pupblic.

14. ace’s avatar

your the fuckin man yifan lu for doing what you do,
    big respect hope to hear more juicey info like this.
    keep up the good work man
    peace

15. yosh’s avatar

Indeed how is this any proof with PSMobile out in the wild ?

1. Kashin’s avatar

It’s by Yifanlu. He can be trusted.

16. Minimur’s avatar

i dont get it, what is this ?

17. Yifan Lu’s avatar

Sorry about taking the video offline. The toolchain isn’t complete yet, and I don’t want to get those involved in the making of this video in trouble ;)

1. mastarifla’s avatar

It’s understandable, thanks for letting us know/proving that it is indeed possible to gain user mode access, keep up the amazing work!

2. Elratauru’s avatar

Oh don’t worry, some stuff may stay “in the works” until the developer wants to released, and sometimes its for the better.

But I really appreciate that you kinda let us know that UVL and/or other misc hacks are still doing fine! I’d love to try them sometime.

3. Yoti’s avatar

hey, i want to see it anyway >_<

18. Toby’s avatar

video doesn’t work for me. I got the message: ” This vid is private ” -.-

1. Slimjim3k’s avatar

Same here, I can’t see the video. :(

2. Minimur’s avatar

yifan took the video offline if you read 2 posts up!!

1. Mr McGoo’s avatar

Any idea how to see it in the mean time?

19. Minimur’s avatar

i dont understand, what exactly is this??

20. Turd Sandwich’s avatar

Well the video has been removed. Who ever uploaded the video tell them to upload it on another site or something.

21. INFINITY’s avatar

Maybe this could lead to emulating sega Saturn/Dreamcast but anything beyond I don’t think the PSVITA can handle it.

It could emulate nintendo ds original games (Proberbly)

1. MikeBeav3r’s avatar

I think Saturn is one of the hardest console to emulate, pretty sure there isn’t a really good PC version out there, is there?

22. fable’s avatar

Video is DOWN

23. Scottbaylo’s avatar

SSF is a really good Saturn emulator for pc, It played every game I tried at full speed or very close to full speed. Panzer dragoon rpg, magic knight ray earth, etc. just thinking about it makes me giddy! Screw it, I’m calling out sick and playing it all day tomorrow.

1. Johnny Cage’s avatar

Yabause is a good one as well

24. mecksg1’s avatar

meh, happy with whats going on now. not many ps vita games i care about, happy that theres an exploit tgou

25. Shelton Lee’s avatar

JGAMEX(Chinese PSV hacker),just gave us a video on YOUKU.His psv is running a ps2 game : GOD OF WAR II.
    I don’t know if you can see it because I guess it will soon be deleted.
    but im sure this video will be upload to Youtube soon;
    (sorry ,my English is not good.)

1. wololo’s avatar

Interesting. I have never heard of this person before, is he known for other things? Apologies for asking, but I am always suspicious when somebody comes out of “nowhere” with such a video. It could be using remote play, OR it could be a ps2 emulator ported to PSM (which, by the way, would be an awesome improvement).

1. Shelton Lee’s avatar

Sorry i don’t know about this person either . Many people here think it could be remote play ,too.But some people say that there will not be the “memory card select” if it is using the remote play.I’ve never tried the remote play function before because i’m in college so I don’t know anything about this :( .Sorry I can’t find it out but I believe you can (e ,don’t blame me if it is a fake).I admire you so much ! :)

1. wololo’s avatar

No problem, thanks for the reply :)

1. Shelton Lee’s avatar

You are welcome~:)

2. CYDeviant’s avatar

That really is an interesting video..
        There’s another showing PSP iso (actually a cso) loading:

1. Shelton Lee’s avatar

it seems that this “psp iso” video isn’t original.a mysterious hacker (not this one) released this video before and soon deleted it:)

2. ace’s avatar

guys looks like this mysterious hacker or more so a wana be hacker is leaking other people’s videos on exploits or stuff i dont think he actually made the emulator??

how i know because he has just uploaded or shall i say ripped and reuploaded yifan lu’s demo on his exploit

theres the link to prove my theory..
      hmmm whats your take on it guys???

26. mean_able’s avatar

Thanks for your all impressive work.
    Don’t sell your vita now…

27. afrikanballa’s avatar

PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME !
    I successfully download gsPS and know it is on my vhbl, BUT there is a error when I attempt to use the gpsp and play gba roms.

PLEASE CAN ANY ONE CREATE A VIDEO ON YOUTUBE and teach the VIEWERS how to correctly load and use the gpsp?????

Please send me a message my emails shaqthedude@gmail.com
    thanks bye

28. Maxilus’s avatar

We need DarK_AleX back!!!!!

29. dasdas,das’s avatar

FUCK U FOR THE PRIVATE VIDEO…

1. Justin Watson’s avatar

That’s it on the site that everyone has been using here for posts.