Release: VHBL r160 for Vita 1.80

A few days ago we announced the name of the game that is being used for Neur0n’s port of VHBL for firmware 1.80: Monster hunter Freedom Unite. As I type this, Sony started removing the game from their stores, although some of the exploitable games for this release are still available in some locales, which is the first time this has happened in VHBL’s short history. Grab them while you can, and for us it is now time to release VHBL for this exploit!

Credits go of course to Neur0n for the exploit discovery, as well as for porting VHBL to it. Many thanks, as usual, to the people who initially created HBL, in particular m0skit0 and JJS. Thanks also go to dimy93 for beta testing, to the mods at /talk for their awesome help throughout the Ninja release, and to our brilliant community for making this Ninja release work, once again (this includes other websites on the scene who have done a brilliant work at mitigating leaks).  I’m sure I’m forgetting people to credit here, but you’ll have to forgive me, this release has been pretty long and exhausting. To quote neur0n: “It’s a relief to see this exploit being released, after 2 years:)

Donations?

Lots of work has been put into this release, from a technical point of view as well as an organizational one, and some people have been contacting me recently because they want to donate for the cause. Actually, Neur0n cannot accept donations for his work due to legal Paypal constraints in Japan, and I myself do not accept donations these days for my work on HBL.

That being said, If you feel like donating as a way of thanking us, please consider donating to a charitable organization of your choice, and feel free to let us know (note: this is not something I discussed with neur0n, but I am assuming he will be ok with the idea). I personally suggest the Red Cross, a well known non governmental organization which goal is to “prevent and alleviate human suffering in the face of emergencies”. They also happen to accept paypal donations in many countries, for those who wonder. You can find their donation pages here:

American Red Cross

Japanese Red Cross (this is the English page for donations to the victims of last year’s tsunami. Unfortunately, they only accept direct bank transfers which is a major pain if you live outside of Japan. Alternatively if you want to donate for this specific cause, you can donate to your country’s Red Cross – see link below for a list of Red Cross all over the world – and give the precision that you want to help with the Japanese tsunami relief)

French Red Cross

Find your national Red Cross society

…or just google for them.

I also invite other scene websites who will post an article about the VHBL release to mention this donation drive. Thanks in advance for your support!

Download

Download on the VHBL page, as usual.

Please note that VHBL has been extensively tested on Monster hunter Freedom Unite, but much less on Monster Hunter 3rd and Monster hunter Freedom 2.

How to install and use

Everything’s explained in the readme and on the download page, but copying/installing homebrews on the Vita is kind of a pain given the copy restrictions on the device, so if you are running into issues, feel free to ask question on /talk, I’m sure our active community will be delighted to help.

In particular, if you are looking for homebrews that will work “out of the box”, check out this thread which has many download links :)

Enjoy, and please report success/failure! Youtube videos showcasing VHBL would be awesome too, spread the word people :)

1. Peleep’s avatar

Thank you thank you! I nave SNES and Nester running. Thanks to all involved including the OpenCMA 1.80 folks.

maybe one day…. a MAME port will be available. I’d love to run some Commodore 64 classics!!!

1. cuppajoe’s avatar

Vice64 2.2.15 works beautifully so you get into your C64 classics already :)

2. XHARO’s avatar

So mhfu still runs vhbl in the us even tho the maintenance happened?

1. wololo’s avatar

Yup. The maintenance was (of course) unrelated to VHBL

3. XHARO’s avatar

So its all good to get then
    And thanks for replying

1. Uncle Pirate’s avatar

Te still works..

4. mingzhi’s avatar

I want to keep the original archive can not be done, I do not know.

5. Trololo’s avatar

Can i please get a reply on how to install emulators plz

1. wololo’s avatar

Your question is too vague. What did you try to do, and what did not work?

6. Azio’s avatar

Hey wololo i asking u.How to put the roms on emulator.Plzz wololo reply me

1. jdubs’s avatar

Yo man there is a walkthrough at the top of this page on how to install roms on your emulators. I also posted a pretty detailed walkthrough on the last page if you scroll back.

7. Bokees’s avatar

Monster hunter freedom 2 essentials working or not???

8. kris’s avatar

hey wololo can u making a vid or do u have already a vid on how to in stal the vhbl, im very nooby in installing files like this ok, thanks plz i hope u resent a messenger ok goodbye !!!

1. BigCockSurprise’s avatar

it’s really easy. when you extract the vhbl zip file you will have 3 folders, 1 for us one for europe and 1 for japan. since i’m in us i used the ulus10391 file (europe it’s ules01213 and japan uljm05500). you have to copy this file to documents\sony\psvita\pssavdata\(random caracters). this path is where all the save games are backed up when you connect you psvita and back them up. once you have it in there, open opencma and import from pc to vita select the psp save data (on your vita menu) and you will see a monster hunter save game, select it, click copy and it will be imported in your vita. on your vita, quit cma open MHFU, at the menu chose download, it will search the memory card and detect a file, click yes and voila vhbl will boot (a black screen loading stuff and you will end up in the vhbl menu)

hope it helps, i’ve explained this the best i could.

1. jo’s avatar

hi there BIG COCK, would u know where i can find the ORIGINAL Install Zip file, i cant seem to find it.
        I know the process to copy it but the original isnt even present , it doesnt even exist ? any help is appreciated mate

9. helder’s avatar

counter strike portable test, is a bit bugged but:

10. kaas’s avatar

works great thanks wololololololo

11. Armookie’s avatar

Can we not use the ps store or browser when using this? Thats something I’m still not sure on. Does anyone know if using the store or browser on the vita risk getting this patched or blocked? I just want that clearing up if possible! :O)

1. wololo’s avatar

You an still use psn, etc… We have had no reports of people being banned for using vhbl.

1. Uncle Pirate’s avatar

I can confirm this..
        This is the 2nd game I’m using with VHBL exploit.
        No problems whatsoever.

2. armookie’s avatar

Thanks Wololo for replying but can Sony patch this if we use vitas wifi? I sure as hell don’t want to loose the exploit with Sony doing a sneaky patch. Can they even see if Vhbl is on the Vita?

12. alex’s avatar

So could i use VHBL on my ps vita 1.80?

13. armookie’s avatar

Just wanted to thank you guys for your help and for working together to get VHBL to its current working state its in now.
    We all appreciate what you have done for the PsVita community. :O)

Happy brewing!! :o)

14. zoraktorok’s avatar

I do have a concern wololo… Is there a way to delete the homebrew.. say you want to add roms (which I assume you could redo an install and it would overwrite and save new roms as according) or if homebrew just isn’t compatible… cma sucks and I know its a bitch just to get the file on… would a psp file manager hb work?

15. zoraktorok’s avatar

arrrghh… I guess thats what ymenu is for…. I guess I should finish my research befor I ask for help…. y-menu…. but having a problem with it… installing just as i did picodrive and snes9x, but I get 1 remaining Files beep beep beep beep beep……… beep…. etc

16. luis need help’s avatar

where i download the vhbl i dont find the file and how i install the vhbl a video will be great for me and all the people is lost thanks

17. alex’s avatar

hey wololo could you send me instruction of how to use vhbl on vita 1.80.
    And one more question how long we have to wait for a full jailbreak?

18. Jason’s avatar

should the other vhbl games be getting an update or if we want homebrew on 1.80 are we gonna have to buy monster hunter?

19. alex’s avatar

wait if i want to run vhbl on my vita 1.80 i need buy game everybodies tennis or i just need to download a hacked version ?

20. DarkZenRitual’s avatar

SONY is trying their best for the PSV to succeed, sure its a joke when you see a PSP game for 40 bucks on PSN but just get it for free on the PSP and even all the PSONE games! why do you wanna screw up the PSV??

21. sonic99190’s avatar

i do not have any of the games can you just make an open download for the vhbl

1. wololo’s avatar

This is not how it works

22. sonic99190’s avatar

i rilly rilly want to play lamecraft because i love minecraft!

23. Albert’s avatar

Can i use this on my ps vita 2.00 too and please teach me how to get this stuff work on mine too and i will be waiting for a reply Asap

· 1 · 2 · 3