4th time’s the charm?

A vulnerability has been found by Neur0n a few months ago in a PSP game, and this vulnerability has been leveraged to port VHBL in order for us to run PSP homebrews on the Vita. Following the request of many Vita owners, this announcement was postponed to wait for the release of Vita firmware 1.80, a firmware that brings PS1 compatibility.

As usual, we’ve let the members of our forums know about the vulnerability a few weeks in advance, in order to let them buy and download the game before Sony pulls it from their store. Protip: If you’re a member of our community and haven’t seen the announcement by now, you probably need your eyes checked (unless you joined in the past 24h).

Hmm, this one might hurt a little bit, given how successful this game is on the PSP…

Disclaimer: This announcement comes with absolutely no guarantee of you successfully running VHBL on your machine. We’ve been testing this for a while now, but there’s always the possibility something gets patched between this announcement and the release.

The game used for Neur0n’s VHBL port is Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, also known as Monster Hunter Portable 2ndG in Japan. Similar vulnerabilities exist in Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and in Monster hunter Portable 3rd, for which we also have VHBL ports (although I haven’t personally tested these ones).

We expect Sony to pull the game from their stores within the next 48h, so if you are interested in homebrews, you might want to buy that game asap before it is out. For those who worry that we are sacrificing one of the best titles of the PSP in the name of homebrews, please keep in mind that so far the PSP games used in VHBL exploits have always returned to the PSN after a patch has been pushed by Sony.

I don’t expect brainless gamers to read that far, so I assume this blog will, once again, be filled with comments in the form of “you guys are killing the vita”, “this will lead to piracy”, “why would you guys prefer to play pong over Uncharted?”, “hackers should die”, “OMFG leave Sony alone they already have so much trouble with the bad Vita sales” or, my favorite one “wait until Sony removes psp support from the Vita because of you”. But in case you read that far, I just want to remind everyone that VHBL has never led to PSP or Vita piracy in its 2 years and a half of existence.

Well, that’s it, hurry up and buy the game. It also happens to be a very popular franchise, so if only for the game itself, it’s probably worth it.

Oh, by the way, some people mentioned that the game only supports one save slot. This is true. If you actually want to play the game, you will have to regularly swap your own save and the VHBL save.

Once you have downloaded and installed the game, it is recommended that you do not update your console. In particular, do not update the CMA client. The VHBL files will be released, as usual, after the game gets pulled from the store.

1. razor’s avatar

So If I’m not mistaken ” Moster Hunter Freedom Unite” is the new game needed to run VHBL 1.80 on the vita.
    Am I right?

2. Xperia4life’s avatar

Hey, Thanks all who worked on VHBL finally I can Get my hands on some Homebrew ;) Also Just to finalize everything DONT UPDATE CMA TO ANY NEW VERSION EVER. Thanks yet again i bought this game 4 weeks ago alongside the rest of the series 32gb Memory card I got for free off of a subscriber ;).

1. TheSpillmonkey’s avatar

Open CMA 1.8 works awesome here.

3. razor’s avatar

I keep getting error (E-80182014) I can’t connect to CMA. How do you manually update the psp2-updatelist.xml?
    Mine says JP in region ID eventhough I have a U.S vita account

1. razor’s avatar

Thanks for the reply rubenctt

4. razor’s avatar

Never mind I got it. Thanks to wololo and Neur0n and everyone else that makes the vita interesting again to play. You guys Rock. Chingon!!! in other words ” Bad Assess”

5. TheBudds’s avatar

Wish scummvm was working but we can’t always have our way. Still great to see the devs here continue improving HBL.

Lol, I still remember users asking what the point of HBL was during the era of PSP CFW. Heh, we’ve seen the point of it’s continued existance.

6. TheBudds’s avatar

@wololo for those who like telling the usual lines… Direct them over to me, I’ll be glad to tell them who I feel more screwed by.

Sony or the hackers?… Sony wins bigtime and this comes from a long time supporter.

People need to take the time they put into their horribly worded insults and go educate themselves.

7. Jose’s avatar

I got the Ninja release on this weeks ago, but I think I’ll pass on this one.

1.80 has way too many bugs, and I want to make sure to keep my system bug free, so I’m going to have to skip on this.

I’ll wait for the full Vita hack that is in the works.

1. Thorwak’s avatar

Cool, see you in 5 years :D

8. Hom(o)brew’s avatar

If you want homebrew so bad then download Playstation Mobile (Suite). You can make your own apps for the Vita with that. So why do you want to hack it when Sony gives you a way to make your own apps? Just admit it, you want ISOs.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Seriously? You have no clue as to what you are talking about do you? You cannot do anything that VHBL does in PSM and psm is so limited it throttles performance and it ends in oct which will make everyone pay $99. This is not heading anywhere to piracy. Not everyone wants it, vhbl is a sound to that testament. Know what you are talking about before flaming.

2. itsugawakun’s avatar

TBH Sony is doing a Closed open source type of thing like apple. Same thing goes just like the iPhone like what we do on the PSP/Vita. We Jailbreak the iPhone to do more than what we could (pirating is just one detail example Installous). Homebrewing the PSVita will allow more functionality then the given PSMSuite can ever give a developer.

9. Ash’s avatar

well the game is still on the uk store

10. woto’s avatar

I remain sceptical this time it is real and less of a test as to if they will take a major selling game off the sore in fear of Hbl. I would have said disidia or persona 3 personally if this was the case but hopefully it isn’t and you can laugh at me later

1. wololo’s avatar

No, this is real, I wouldn’t play the reputation of this site just to prank Sony.

11. Wrozen’s avatar

I’m very suprised the game hasn’t been removed yet. Oh well. I’m got the game a week before the announcement anyway. Just hope the exploit is released soon :3

12. el doctor swag’s avatar

i was lucky enough to get the game :D Lucky for me i had $5 and my aunt gave me 10 and my uncle gave me 5 :D anywho cant wait for the save file

13. PleaseReleaseWololo’s avatar

wololo release it today plz sony will fund a new update sooner r later plz wololo everybody is waiting i can’t no more you wololo rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Jd8531’s avatar

So? Its not like you have to? There is a reason for it to be released after they pull the game.

14. Ks810’s avatar

Thanks Wololo and Neuron!
    Love this blog!

15. Squiggs’s avatar

I am so happy I already have this game, because I was off the community for awhile

16. Kuro Ktisune’s avatar

Just gotta say i love you wololo but that aside the most amazing thing happened so ive been following this blog relgiously hoping i can get some vhbl action well my ps vita is in the pawn till friday so i was getting sad about the upcoming release then .. BAM Monster hunter one of my favorate psp games is already installed on my psvita in the shop *dances*

17. Jxx’s avatar

so i’ve got the game, now we play…the waiting game

18. Hoshikumadoji’s avatar

Thanks so much for this! I’m surprised it ain’t down yet though.

19. w7y7a7t7t’s avatar

i don’t have a vita, so i don’t follow the vhbl posts on this blog to carefully, but it’s only public now? it’s been so long since i got that little thing telling me about it on the forums (i guess i’ve been a member for 2 years, but still…) anyway, nice release.

20. RayRay_Cc’s avatar

Can anybody add me on psn couse i dont know how to use the hack thing for the vita i have the game but how do u put the hack in my vita or the game my ps vita version is 1.80 so add me i need help plzzzz my gamertag is RayRay_Cc i repeat it is RayRay_Cc thank u

1. wololo’s avatar

We haven’t released the exploit yet, that’s probably why you can’t run it :)

21. Jagged’s avatar

It’s too bad you have to waste $20 on a crappy game just to use VHBL. Oh well. No other way, I guess.

1. Salfai’s avatar

The game is excellent.
      And it only cost 10 €…

2. Azure’s avatar

Quit whining, Monster hunter is a great series.

22. PAULO’s avatar

WOLOLO. I think the good files to be released before the 10th day since the PSN will be down for maintenance, it should modify the game this time.

23. 李叔叔’s avatar

为什么要等到下架才发布???

1. 张叔叔’s avatar

你牛,居然留中文?因为提前发布sony就能更快核实漏洞是否属实,将更快下架。

24. Andre104623’s avatar

Wololo why is the game still up thats a little strange dont u think so?? Sony pulls the game in a few hours we are on day 2

1. Bokees’s avatar

Because no VHBL files has been released yet.
      And there is an obvious video around here.
      it be bad if it is a joke of neuron and wololo for the ps vita

25. GsyDonkey’s avatar

In the UK you have to use the search box as you cannot see the game when you browse through the titles! Game is still for sale @ £7.99 – 09/09/12 17:50 :)

26. darkanubis74’s avatar

I wonder if Sony won’t wait until the maintenance to just patch the actual game. It is a very popular game and removing it will cause a lot more trouble than say, super collapse 3 which no one would have bought if not for vhbl. Food for thought. I hope the files come soon as I can’t seem to focus on any of my current games now…lol

27. sly1228’s avatar

wait….. i downloaded the game but i am already on 1.80 does that mean that vhbl wont work?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

you’re fine

28. Bokees’s avatar

I have read a comment about someone with the essentials version on monster hunter united.
    But there wasn’t a real good answer on it.

Will it work on that title or not?

29. gjanko2’s avatar

Is it essential to use open CMA in order to run the new VHBL?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

no but its recommended

30. Chris’s avatar

Will the vhbl files come with full directions on installing additional games like super mario 64 or will I have to use something else?

31. gunblade’s avatar

well sony never remove the game probly becuz of the vitas live screen update thell try to update the game on there server wilhle have the games dat one has on the vita needing a down load update ..

32. gunblade’s avatar

linux on da vita would be awsume

33. ryan’s avatar

Starting the think Sony wont patch till later…. Game still available in AUS.

34. Addsy’s avatar

No one flame me for asking this. I have no idea about hacking or emulation but do u think we will ever see a gamecube emulator running on vita. I would love to play resident evil remake on my vita

1. Jd8531’s avatar

highly doubt it, kernel would be needed and we dont have that yet

35. jaydamuss’s avatar

i downloaded monster hunter freedom unite from aussie store couple days ago and just checked the ps store and only monster hunter freedom 2 essentials is there now maybe its been removed?

36. D4rk1’s avatar

Looks like it’s been pulled from the eu-store, can’t find the game anymore.

37. Azio’s avatar

When comes out new exploite sony push the tsunami to the all country.Then sink the game.haha.bt now we are servivor huh.Thanx wololo for Anounced before comes tsunami.Plzzz everybody cheer up to wololo.Our hero.We still waiting for vhbl files.I hope u ll release it today. ;)

38. nene’s avatar

help please. i tryed all the vhbl an i get noting. an the new one for 1.80 were can i go to download it. i wanna play pokemon games lml an other gab an ds games. but so iam reading they took the game out for the vhbl or is there another way i can get the new one for 1.80?

39. nene’s avatar

so we have to wait till he comes put wit the new one for 1.80???

1. Jd8531’s avatar

You have to wait for Wololo to release the special file to run VHBL. As long as you have the game youre fine :)

1. Nene’s avatar

Anbhow doiget the game. How to i get it wit out buying it. Dont it come wit the vhbl ?? @ jb8531

1. Jd8531’s avatar

No it doesnt come with it. You have to buy the game off psn wololo announced.

40. Dakota’s avatar

So the U.S. store everytime I click something says undergoing maintenance does this mean there fixing the game cause I got it last night at like 2 am and am wondering if it works?

1. gunblade’s avatar

jus dont download the game update n ill put ur vita in airplane mode jus incase

41. gunblade’s avatar

okay so getting totaly oof subject so wololo should o have my system in airplane mode or sumthing nowing dat da vita live screen updates its self like twice a day nowing dat it does retric games to needing live screen game updates

42. snowman’s avatar

Forgive my ignorance, would Monster Hunter Freedom Unite work? I couldn’t find Monster Hunter Freedom Unite 2.

43. Manuelito’s avatar

Hey guys, Monster Hunter Unite is still available in the US store, i confirm it, the playstation network service is back, and the game is still there.

1. Jer21’s avatar

Your are correct just checked a few more times and still there before and after PSN was down. in the U.S

44. Telgar’s avatar

Thats really odd, is Sony just giving in and deciding not to pull MHFU due to its wide popularity? I know the game still sells well, maybe their choosing money over exploit? I remember people saying the name was leaked on a sony website so I would imagine they know it exists…

If the game never gets pulled any idea how long we might wait for Vhbl or if it can even come out until its pulled?

45. lattymadha’s avatar

i ve downloaded Monster Hunter Freedom 2 Essentials longtime ago, will this one works with vhbl?

1. Telgar’s avatar

Wololo said that MHF2, MHFU and MHP3rd should all work, so by what Wololo/Neur0n are saying yes it should.

1. lattymadha’s avatar

thanx Telgar

46. un3gr0’s avatar

I downloaded it just now in US PStore, for U$19,99, the game isnt good, im playing it now. d:b

47. shane’s avatar

ok its the 16th now and mhfu is in the store. is the game patched or somethin or is it ok to download and hack?

1. wololo’s avatar