(Video) Snes9xTYL runs on VHBL for 1.80

In our impressive list of VHBL-compatible homebrews for this upcoming release, SNES emulator Snes9xTYL was missing, due to some inexplicable crash in the intro of the emulator. Sure, we had UO Snes9x just in case, but for some reason people tend to prefer Snes9xTYL.

Well dry your tears, because thanks to dev Thorwak Snes9xTYL is now joining the ranks of VHBL compatible games for Neur0n’s release!

It turns out the intro of the emulator was the only thing crashing, for some (so far) unknown reason, probably because of a bug in how VHBL handles certain sounds functions. Thorwak figured out that by simply removing the intro, he could get the emulator to load and run perfectly fine, so there you go!

This sounds like a simple achievement, but having tried myself several times to compile Snes9xTYL, I can tell you this is not fun. I’ll let Thorwak shime in and point people to his sources whenever he feels they are ok to share. In the meantime, enjoy the video, and a download link to the VHBL-compatible version.

Download

Download the VHBL-compatible version of Snes9xTYL 0.4.2 here (be sure to select the “compatible VHBL” download link. Also you will need to add your own roms to the file INSTALL.ZIP, and remember that the zip file must be using the “store” compression method… that is, no compression at all. If you have questions about this, ask them on our forums)

1. enygmyx’s avatar

release VHBL files pls

1. Itherian’s avatar

Well since you asked sure. I am sure wololo will send u a email in a few hours with everything u need. Just keep checking your email. (sarcasm) The dev’s here do not get paid and do all this because they want to. So they will release the files when they want to. You can either wait patiently with the rest of us or shut the hell up and wait anyways.

1. Thecodebreaker’s avatar

Oh snap. Haha. Spot on my friend

2. Drake’s avatar

The hell is wrong with you? he just asked, Chill the hell out, who said he wasn’t going to wait? you could have said all that nicely. Bully much?

2. Karma_Darkly’s avatar

I can’t wait to give it a try.

3. TelcoLou’s avatar

Oh cool! I’ll wind up installing both (Snes9xTYL 0.4.2 AND UO Snes9x), since some games run better in one emulator, and poorly in the other. Many thanks again guys!

4. ils’s avatar

is Snes9xTYL running fullspeed in VHBL ?

thanks for this update
    i’m 1 in few people prefer TYL than UO
    dunno why :)

5. quetz’s avatar

wich game is needed? ;)

1. trey’s avatar

the game is Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

6. Raziel’s avatar

^All Of Them, good luck.

7. fresno’s avatar

Can you please make a TUTO of how I can install the VHBL on my PS Vita.

Thank you.

8. ZeRo’s avatar

Thanks for the good news, now waiting test other psp apps in new vhbl

9. ViRGE’s avatar

Nicely done Thorwak. I had tried compiling Snes9xTYL too; to say it’s perilous journey is an understatement.

10. Joe’s avatar

thx for the hardwork SNES emulator is my top of the list must have when i get the vhbl :)

11. Andalia’s avatar

I’m sorry but this was the worst SMW gameplay I’ve ever seen. :)
    But thanks a lot!

1. wololo’s avatar

Haha, you haven’t seen my other videos then :) I notoriously suck at videogames, but this is made even more visible when I have to take a video, because I have to hold the console steady in a really awkward way

1. SofaKing™’s avatar

2. Bret’s avatar

haha beat me to it…

12. Foleyfactor’s avatar

This is great news! I just want to say a big public “Thank You” to all the devs for all the goodies we are receiving based on their hard work. Thank guys.
    Also do you think that maybe this is why ScummVM is crashing too?
    I hope to hear that a ScummVM port will be available soon also.

1. wololo’s avatar

Sadly, ScummVM is another issue, in my tests, it crashed after loading a game (beneath a steel sky, which usually works)

1. Foleyfactor’s avatar

Ah, I see, well maybe in the future there may be a breakthrough with it. I’d love to play some Monkey Island and Broken Sword games. :)

13. Fabian’s avatar

The files coming today???

1. hene193’s avatar

I think that the release is going to be next week.

14. Fabian’s avatar

how to put a rom in the emulator??

if i put it on the ROM file, i cet a error…??

for the psp i do always in rom file or not???

answer back plz?

15. Necrotek’s avatar

Yay, now this VHBL release is complete :)

16. thorwak’s avatar

Just a note to anyone wondering – I’m continuing my work on reviving the Snes9xTYL sources during the weekend. I have made further progress in pinpointing the problem when running it via VHBL (a sound library used in the intro screen and “Credits” screen – hence the temporary workaround) and there will be updates coming, hopefully also with at least some speed improvements.

The version available for download now works fine for playing games without glitches, but there is more that can be done :)

The ultimate goal is to have the sources in a shape that makes it possible for anyone wanting to dig in a bit to improve, or toy with them in general. To me, it’s the best SNES emulator on the PSP. It’s just that the sources are a bit… sub-optimal organized :P

1. Terr1’s avatar

Thank you for the great work! :)

2. SofaKing™’s avatar

thank you all! , snes is the ONLY reason i installed vhbl last time:( but it did not work? even thoe it DOES work now i have already made the decision that i will NOT be taking part in this release, as the GAME NEEDED does not intrest me at all, not like SC3 which i do still play, mostly on my PSP, maybe next time, but THANK YOU ALL for this amazing feat of codeing. again , thank you!

3. O-bake’s avatar

Wow, after this long time somebody works on improving my favourite emulator.
      Very much appreciated :)
      Thank you so much.

4. MarSprite’s avatar

Thank you very much for your efforts in improving my favorite SNES emulator for the psp.

5. Thorwak’s avatar

Since there may be some general interest, brief progress update:
      - Intro back and working with sound, minus the “music”
      - Credit screen works, minus the music
      - Disabled menu music to avoid freeze
      - Some speed gain by harder optimizing flags
      - Smaller executable size

Only thing left to solve is the background music. It doesn’t affect actual games at all, but in respect to the original devs of snes9xTYL, I would like to have it 100% original (well extra FPS doesn’t count as regression ;) )

1. O-bake’s avatar

Maybe you should start a thread in the forums. News and progresses might easily get overlooked here in the comments.
        I mean, SNES is one of the most popular game consoles ever and I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who is really happy that you continue this project.

1. Thorwak’s avatar

Good advice, and I probably will, once VHBL is released. I will need help for regression testing, speed comparisons between versions and so on, once I really start tearing the code apart and putting it back together.

Right now I touch nothing not needed to have it working 100% as the original version since I don’t want to risk breaking anything at this point. I just figured I would post a small update for the Snes9xTYL-junkies (such as myself :D )

17. Julien’s avatar

Amazing …… Best emu finally work…… Mario zelda ….. Wait i’m comming

18. jdubs’s avatar

So yea, I picked up the ninja game and am waiting to install vhbl solely based on the hopes someone would get this to work. To say that this is good news and that I am excited would be a huge understatement. Thanks to all the devs for all they’re hard work.

19. RaxX’s avatar

if the snes9xTYL worked on this version then i presume PSPRevolution also should work ? i can`t wait to score an “AAA” on the The legend Of Max in my VITA

20. new’s avatar

Well..Sony announced maintenance on PSN for Monday, getting ready for VHBL and pull off that PSP game. Once LBP and Street fighter x Tekken get released then I will jump into the VHBL wagon and never update:)

1. Daniel’s avatar

the psp game to use for VHBL, is already announced or not?

1. Dont be mad’s avatar

Well name of the game is released… (like 1.5 week ago)
        I simply love ninja releases!

21. Saidros’s avatar

Uhhh super mario!!! my fav game cant wait to play this on my vita :D thank you wololo

22. empc’s avatar

is there gonna be any gbc emulator available?? imm willing to play some old school zeldas

23. 00’s avatar

great work guys!! btw wololo have you ever tried psp ssh on vhbl?, I wonder if you could use the touchscreen as a keyboard, that would be the bomb!

1. Thorwak’s avatar

This is offtopic, but I walked around in similar thoughts all day after preparing 20-ish builds to test on the Vita so I’ll bite: We need an sftp/ftp server and/or client, at least until a true open transfer util comes out. I’m spending more time packaging and transfering to the freakin thing than actual coding. Sony – Why?? It’s not really working anyway, as you can see…

24. Xianten’s avatar

This is offtopic, but i ate my 4 gig vita memory stick by mistake.

1. Mr McGoo’s avatar

Hahaha

25. SnezziDS’s avatar

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! =D Awesome AF!!

26. nCadeRegal’s avatar

Nice job thorwak. CAnt wait to load up shadowrun and start playin. Congrats btw i prefer tyl anyday over its competitor. Imo it has a better UI

27. Turd Sandwich’s avatar

I already got the VHBL files and don’t question how i go it neither.

1. Mr McGoo’s avatar

I found then on amazon

28. Mr McGoo’s avatar

Thorwak, thank you for compiling the files so that they work. I actually purchased sc3 but never downloaded vhbl considering this was not one of the working ones. I cant wait to try it out this time around

29. bleep’s avatar

Is there a tutorial showing how to remove the intro to the snes emulator? I found a psp snes emulator that I believe is more stable than the one being shown in the video and so I want to try to fix the problem myself.

1. wololo’s avatar

Download the sources of snes9XTYL 0.4.2, and remove the code that triggers the intro. That’s not the difficult part, the difficult part is getting snes9XTYL to compile, since it has so many warnings

1. bleep’s avatar

Thank you very much.

30. razor’s avatar

How in the world do you install roms for Snes9xTYL for the vita? mine roms are in a zip file. I tried draging the rom file to the INSTALL ZIP folder but when I run snes emulator on the vita it doesn’t read them. It doesn’t show any roms

31. PSPGHOST’s avatar

mines starts to load the roms into the emulator …then when i start the snes emulator on the vita vhbl it goes to a white screen and it stays stuck there

1. wololo’s avatar

Make sure you get the “fixed” version that doesn’t have the intro. This article is giving a link, use it!

32. trey’s avatar

How do you return to the emulator menu?

1. wololo’s avatar

Ltrigger + rtrigger I believe.

33. CriticalFury’s avatar

Thorwak do you know whats the size limit or rom limit of the ROMS folder thats in the emulator. I have a lot of roms but putting them all under the same ROMS folder makes the emulator not run.I had to make more folders in order to use all my roms at once.