Why the PSP is not dead… yet

I have been here in the scene for the last two years and I think that in that there was a “bussy” PSP Community. Right now, there is not that fuss but I think saying the PSP is dead is not right.

Firstly, the release of PRO-C with its cool online features (that Sony didn’t even try to give us because PSP Adhoc Party is not good enough), has opened a whole new world in  the PSP gaming sector. Now, people are playing online and you can find up to 40-60 people connected at the same time in a day, which is not that bad considering it is not an official release by Sony and for that reason, people just do not try it. Also, Coldbird and Virtuos Flame have dedicated a lot of time on what, from my point of view, is the best PSP CFW for the unhackeable PSPs. The creation of Inferno and the PRO Online Client is what I think the PRO CFW needed to really show its full potential.

Then, as  I talked in my last post, there are cool and fun Minis waiting for you to try them. For just a modic price you can get a really good game for your PSP, I mean, you have to get bored of Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, etc sometime. So, why don´t you try something more “arcade”, like Age of Zombies? Give them a chance, and do not think just because they are small they are going to be worse.

And last but not least, most people would say we are finished but there is another reason: Programming. Apart from Lua and  C, now we have got Python aswell, this know but not so known at the same time (It has been there for 5-6 years) programming language for the PSP. There is only a few homebrews programmed in Python, and the best one I remember is the chess game by ZX-81. Well now, 6 years later,thanks to developer Acid_Snake, you can find those tutorials for Python and in this same website! Here are the links:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

So, what are your reasons? Or do you think the PSP IS dead? Comment!

Tags: ,

1. ZeRo’s avatar

If the minis still being cool and PRO Online Client still updating, the psp will still alive :)

2. matt’s avatar

I would say the PSP is still alive because of the “hacking” scene. If I didn’t already have a Slim and a Go, I would most definitely buy a 3000 just for the homebrew and emulators. I’ve probably spent way more time playing emulators on my PSPs, even though I have many UMDs and several PSN games.

Also, if you know Japanese, there are still many Japanese games being released, but most of these are less than engrossing for me because I personally can’t read any of it. ;p

Also the price point on PSP units is pretty good now, if you haven’t played most of the library already like a lot of the people on this site have. =)

3. Sigmarius’s avatar

Whbl que é good nóis num have ¬¬

I can confess that I`m thinking about to sell my psv to buy a psp…. =/

4. qwikrazor87’s avatar

You can also run Ruby code on the PSP using Joyau.

1. qwikrazor87’s avatar

Also, the PSP is alive and well in my world.

1. CATPowah’s avatar

Same here. Of course, I’m gonna get Vita sooner or later. But that might take long considering the game library ain’t that much.

5. Ambient_Malice’s avatar

No, the PSP is not dead. But it needs a shot in the arm.

One problem I’ve found with PSP homebrew is inefficent programming. Most homebrew games are slow. PSP-designed IRC? Slower than a mobile java app run on PSPKVM.

Honestly, the only truly amazing PSP homebrew videogame I ever played was Cave Story for PSP the various mods ported to PSP.

1. wololo’s avatar

Give a try to Wagic, we’ve done lots of work to make it run “alright” smooth, given that at its fullest it needs to run with 800MB of textures…

1. Pro C online Features’s avatar

So wait does that mean I can play medal of honor heroes 2 online multiplayer again (since the servers were shut down)

2. Different55’s avatar

Amen @ Cave Story + Mods

6. Chase’s avatar

I have 6.60 god vi cfw on my psp sadly i cant load my umd games without my cfw being activated first

1. fate6’s avatar

wow he is still making fakes and people are still falling for them :/
      remove that and install PRO or ME

1. Chase’s avatar

Im scared my psp might brick if i do that

1. Chase’s avatar

Oh also i have a psp 3000 9g i think

7. th3pwnsh0p’s avatar

Didn’t Coldbird say he would also make some sort of “PSP HD” thingy? I know he said it somewhere on /talk. I just don’t know which topic it is :s

8. PSPcfwDUDE’s avatar

I believe the PSP would NEVER die. PSP is a cheap to get, handheld, that does so much stuff(emulators,shells,homebrews,cfw installers,games,ebook readers,psp hardware checkers etc) that it reminds me of a portable PC.

9. svenn’s avatar

Yeah, hitting Python is nice, however I’d prefered to see java, there a gazzilion games in java soo.

But for me, I might give Python a try, its a nice language to play around with.

PSP is kinda dead for avg joe, close to no new releases, not even in stores anymore. But for hackers this still is a very nice hardware. For me, I just love to program “hello worlds” on it :D

10. ArcAngelZz’s avatar

What “Online Features”?! You mean I can play MHF2 ONLINE?!! Like.. Infrastructure?!! Someone please answer!! I MIGHT BUY MY PSP BACK!!

1. m.rr’s avatar

yes thats it

11. mohsin’s avatar

the psp will never die because of coldbird and wololo and all the other great hackers that made the psp 1000 x better than its supposed to be :D i think the thanks goes to them.

12. coldjim’s avatar

Hey guys.. Looking at getting a new psp as ive got the old phat one. So wanted to upgraded for a better screen, slimer etc.. But which one do i go for? The new psp e1000 or the psp 3000???
    Thanks!

1. svenn’s avatar

If you wanne go in 2hand market you get the same price as e1000 for a psp3k and 3K has wifi onboard.

I would go for a 3K as you can get them prolly for less then 75 euro against 100euro psp.

1. coldjim’s avatar

does the e1000 have a better screen and other features?? or is it just like the 3000 without the wifi?

13. Toddimyre’s avatar

I love my PSP. I have a PSP2000 God of War edition running PRO-C (I think. My friend has it at the moment.). The emulators are awesome, especially Daedalus. It is by far one of the best N64 emulators I’ve played for any system. I really hope the scene stays alive to produce more epic software in the palm of my hands, one of which I hope to see blossom into something more is the Android Emulator for PSP. Android is my current favorite OS and seeing it fully working on PSP would just make my day. :-)

-Typed via BlueStacks (Android Emulator for Windows) ;-)

14. nCadeRegal’s avatar

The psp will never die! There will always be some1 somewhere that is going to develop for it. From my understanding its still one of the biggest platforms in japan. My affection for this device will never grow old. (Maybe that’s y I own 7 of them)

15. muzz’s avatar

My PSP2k with PSP Phat 2300mah and aftermarket battery cover equals 15 hrs of gameplay FTW!!!

1. CATPowah’s avatar

What kind of battery you use ? and what brand ? Because I’ve been trying to get me some aftermarket battery too but I just don’t know where to get it.

16. razor’s avatar

The PS vita can’t touch the PSP when it comes to emulators. The PSP still Rules

17. hahaha’s avatar

my pc can get more emulation than a psp anyday. that said, if you look at europe and usa list for upcoming psp games this year its pretty much dead while asian countries still making games kinda like how ps2 outlasted america game wise in japan.
    gimme a ps vita emulator lol

1. CYDeviant’s avatar

Emulating games is not the same. There are some of use who would rather never hear poorly emulated audio, or see graphical bugs, it’s also FAR easier to play games on the systems they were intended for. Like N64, unless you have a usb controller/adapter then it can really be a rough experience.

And who wants to play PSP games hunched over a desk?
      It’s a portable device for a reason, I love being able to play a few rounds of No Heroes Allowed, while on the toilet..

18. sly1228’s avatar

i love the psp because i can get free psp games unlike the vita right now….. and thats it….

19. Xavier’s avatar

PSP ain’t dead for me yet. For my father won’t buy me a PS-Vita for it’s costly. PSP is fine, and I don’t want PSV anyways.

The best homebrew I played was Minecraft 3D.

My PSP -
    6.20 Pro B5
    Model – 4G
    MAC Address – ************

20. CYDeviant’s avatar

I love my PSP! It will never die in my eyes, I’ll probably be giving it to my children XD

@Muzz & CATPowah
    I run a 3200mAh battery, easily get 20 hours gaming time XD
    but I can’t use a cover, It’s slightly less than an inch thick.

21. Kan'da’s avatar

Sorry, but I think that psp will not die until the end of this new generation… he’s competing with 3ds now…