Usermode Vita Loader, devs needed!

freddy_156

Italian, developer for fun, Android & GNU/Linux user, Microsoft hates me.

You may also like...

1. Jonathan says:

WOW! So much HATE! These people just dont understand, If it wasn’t for this “Game industry” that put so much restrictions on who can develop on their device or what they can develop or how much of the CPU they have access to, we wouldn’t be trying so hard to hack it!

I mean, I cant even have a CALCULATOR or ALARM CLOCK on my ps vita! I remember hearing rumors that the android market would be on the ps vita, Oh how I wish that was true!

Sony cant even make good games or apps ON THERE OWN DEVICE! The camera app is ***, the video camera app is ***, the video playback app is major ***. For games, All they release is garbage opening titles and hundreds of minis (aka “flash games” on the pc) and since then there has only been ONE or TWO good games.

I will give props to sony for one thing, and that is the only company making a portable game device with MODERN hardware and ACTUAL physical buttons. But since all they care about is money and control.

Sony is afraid of anything innovative if it doesn’t make them, and only them, money. They have dictatorial control over developers and they completely don’t support Adobe Flash. You know what, I hope this leads to piracy, just to **** with sony for there lack of interest in actual game development and solely on “security” and money.

2. Walter says:

Thankfully, the Vita has nothing to pirate.

• Rowan says:

+1 to you there buddy, all i would do with a hacked vita is run emulators for old games with physical buttons (unlike android and iPhone) not touch screen buttons (i hate touch screens, yes i no the vita has a touch screen)

• Walter says:

I’d use it like how I would’ve used the OpenPandora had they not run into an unbelievable amount of problems while manufacturing it.

3. Vitaaaaaa says:

is it possable to run just the update file
    from the psp to psvita say, psm sdk?
    because that be nice makeing psp like” menu useing
    psp’s boot key to start the enter file then
    booting that to run the psp, like basicly dosbox
    or windows emulator.

4. Rowan says:

someone should figure out a way to put stuff on the vita normally not with that stupid content manager

5. DS_Marine says:

Sry for the noob question (I got my psv hours ago).
    But what’s the difference between using this loader, or just using sony PSM SDK (open beta)to code your apps?

• gunblade says:

well think dat the loder works of exploit from games n runiing sum psmsdk app might be easier nowing dat the apps dat did come wit the vita proboly did get much of updats wit patchs since they techinly aint the acutul os but the conten manger fo the vita to copy from the pc dosent reconis dies apps saying if u was to use a dev sdk app u would have to have it to easily modify does apps to load in to vita system mode noticing dat conten manger help u assec file only in da picher video n save games n ps vita n psp games so i guesing ull have to proboly go after da near or the remote player apps

6. 7 says:

I think Sony is taking extra precaution on the alarm, calculator ect. Apps even the simple ones to make sure their is no critical bugs to allow these hacks

7. dune dune says:

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees . Finally we got a Hero who can hack PSV
    So Keep going do ur best .

8. Dynomite says:

yifanlu is awesome. He’s the one who created the conversion tool for putting PSX iso into Xperia Play so people don’t have to rebuy overpriced PSX games for the phone. Look forward to his results :)

9. gunblade says:

werd herd anything about a mod chip fo da vita sumthing like the game cartige fo the vita anything about da port next to the game port notice on da board goes like to the cpu wat do sony use the internal emenry on da vita for 8 gigs is prety much wasent it saposed to have android wy not jus have lunix back…

10. gunblade says:

memory cam out hella bad (emenry)

11. gunblade says:

ooh any body no if u can use the psp go bluthooth as memory fo the vita jus wandering wanted to buy a bluthooth hard drive n see if it worked fo the vita

12. Darton Staker says:

Good luck devs, I wish you all well in your endouvers! Hope the Vita has a bright future thanks to each and everyone’s input. My luck is with you all.
    Regards

13. wololo says:

I think it’s just wording. I won’t speak for Freddy, but I’m pretty sure he has nothing against VHBL, and this was just a weak choice of words because he’s not a native English speaker.

14. Davee says:

This post is ridiculous; very utopian.

15. freddy_156 says:

That. Read my comment below. My native languages are italian and spanish, so I apologize for any error or if my words sounded arrogant or anything, I honestly didn’t mean to offend HBL or HBL in any way.

16. Multiboy2k says:

I am very relieved to hear that. Thank you Freddy for responding. Thanks Wololo for clearing that up.

I dont know Wololo personally but I have been following him since the inception of Wagic.
    His dedication ranks amongst the top tier of all whom have contributed to the scene. Even now his contributions are stimulating the Vita community in a way that even Sony cant compare from a certain perspective. He is keeping the scene ALIVE. All of the excitement generated around HERE would not exist if there was no VHBL/HBL in existence. Alot of us are Wagic fans. However, HBL opened a door of new possibility when the PSP was all but on it’s final stages at one point. And now with the Vita, even greater possibility is present.

It’s a wonderful day when all programmers/coders/hackers and even fans of the scene can respect one another. Wololo deserves our respect. Period.
    He hasnt a charged us a dime for sharing his passion and hard work in all of this.
    The only price fans have ever had to pay was with the currency of patience. And, that’s so that WE would gain better benefit from a more complete product.

Sorry for the long post.
    It needed to be said.

ATTN VHBL FANS:
    If you truly want to show the creator of VHBL how much you appreciate him,
    Take the few seconds out of your life to click on the ADS in this entire site.
    Make a game out of it, see how many ads you can find in this entire site and simply click on them. It doesnt cost You anything and this is how you can say Thank You in ACTION and not mere words.

Thanks Wololo, Neuron, and all of the contributors of Vhbl!
    *clicks the Symantec Backup Ad at the top of this page*

Namaste

17. Davee says:

Your posts are very utopian and not really applicable to real life. Also, clicking on ads isn’t going to help the developers who are actually porting VHBL. If you really want to help developers message them and ask them if they’d accept a donation. Some would, some would ask you to donate it to a charity. That is how you help devs.

18. Multiboy2k says:

Lol…somehow I expect this response from you Davee. No disrespect but an observation.
    I stand fully by my post 100%

I find your view to be somewhat dystopian.
    Equally unrealistic because you dont seem to understand how ad dollars work.
    I make close $1100/month in just ad dollars. This is just pocket change compared to what major sites make. But, I digress.

My motivation and intent was clear when I posted. It had YOU in mind.
    …but, im not so sure what your motivation was in the reply other than to insult me and methods to help You. Could there have been a nicer way to ‘educate’ me on this matter?

As for donations, if you remember we tried that. And, paypal became an issue. Then Neuron couldnt accept donations, etc, etc..all old news. *sigh*

19. Davee says:

You had me in mind? Excellent, so tell me more about that :)

20. Davee says:

Anyway, wasn’t trying to insult you. I’d like to discuss this issue with you though, it’s definitely a good debate.

21. gunblade says:

yea i jus lern about all doughs adds an dat one can get cash for them .. werd

22. warfaren says:

How can’t you see it?

The CFW is what made the PSP awesome
    If that console was never hacked or modded in any way, Sony still wouldn’t have been able to make it even 1% as awesome as it is on CFW. Want proof? The PS3 wasn’t hacked for several years, just look at how awesome it was before that…

And before you think of anything like that, no, I’m not talking about piracy here. That’s not what is awesome about a modded PSP.

23. wololo says:

There’s nothing in this about piracy for now, you are jumping to conclusions.

About Playstation Suite, I personaly lost interest when they rejected my registration for the Beta, does that answer your question?

24. gunblade says:

well the psp got shity in da west cuz thing like itouch n smart android fons cam out n being able to have newly hundred of apps dat let u do thing from play games to edit a picture right after u take the picher or even have apps dat let u buy coffe wit ur fon gagets dat do things like dat is wy portable gameing is low wit sony wy sony did try to get in to the app market

25. thevoiceover says:

Ohh yeah and chill out guys, nothing has been released yet and who knows if it will by this team. I would only hope so and wonder why people think these releases are the reason $ony is not profiting. heck we all are paying x amount of dollars to purchase a game to enable homebrew. Surely we would all purchase a game that is actually good on a system that is engineered for the people, not against them.

26. kanye says:

Yeah because what Sony is doing right now is totally fair? It was a long time coming. Having all that firepower and keeping the safety on, it was a matter of time before a team introduced the full potential of the Vita.

Sure people are going to run Vita ISO’s on it but think of all the other things we will now be able to do with it.

Pucker up son, if you feel so much for the video game dev’s then send them a monthly cheque.

Kanye

27. gunblade says:

i think sony vita hard ware abit harder to crack den the ps3 n the psp da vita has system scans dat it sends to sony wit its live screen updates

28. wololo says:

Will do, since you ask so nicely :)

29. KonataRola says:

>.> why the haters are reading this site….? hahaha is easy make you hater webpage and post your ¨hating¨ stuff there ,dont like piracy? dont use it then , this site is for HOMEBREW and nothing else ,even you like it or not ,you cannot nothing to stop it here. so.. stop making useless post`s and if you want to do something make it on the Right forums or blogs.

*** HATERS THIS IS NOT THE BLOG FOR ANTI-PIRACY or PIRACY-CONTENT

Have a nice day ._.

30. yyy says:

Wasnt the PS Suite Beta open for everyone after a while? It is understandable that not everyone gets into a beta.

31. wololo says:

You’re right. I just said I lost interest after that, not that it was unfair :)

32. yyy says:

I understand. But at least you can try out PSM now if you changed your mind :)

33. yyy says:

I understand, fair enough :) But if you change your mind, you can try PSM now at least :)

34. yyy says:

Sorry for double post (triple with this hehe).

35. freddy_156 says:

Can you please avoid stupid comments like that? You’re just randomly insulting people and have no idea what you’re talking about.

36. wololo says:

The sales of video games in the world rise faster than the world population every year, numbers prove you wrong. Piracy is one facet of the issue, but the real problem is that competition in the video game market has become extremely strong, that’s the main reason your friends’ projects didn’t make it through. Another reason is failure from their company to see that mobile gaming was being taken over by iOS and Android, wrong choice of platform. When did their projects get cancelled? 2005, or 2008?

Again, don’t work in an artistic/creative field if you can’t accept the possibility of a huge commercial failure.

You used to sell NDS imports, you must be super happy that the 3DS is region locked then, aren’t you? Clearly Nintendo is on your side to help you make beter sales with imports… or maybe not? The R4 allowed my wife to get a French teaching game on her DS that all stores in the world refused to ship to Japan because it was “reserved for the European market”. Fix all the major problems in the gaming/retail industry like this one or region locking, then come back and complain about how piracy is the reason people don’t buy imports.

About other homebrew communities such as Raspberry Pi: in all honesty I don’t have much time to program or hack these days, if you’ve been following me for a while, you might have seen that none of the Vita hacks I’ve blogged about in the past 9 months were done directly by me. I got some minor involvement, sure, but nothing critical. That being said, you’ve probably seen I started blogging about the Ouya, as well as some Chinese Android portable consoles, so yeah, I do have an interest in other platforms as well, except I don’t have that much time anymore to do anything with them, just like with the vita. In other words, you might be arguing with the wrong person, because I am not involved with that hack whatsoever, so far. As a matter of fact, I didn’t even write this article :)
    But yeah, agreed, other scenes look extremely interesting, and I am ooking forward to receiving my Ouya :)

I guess my point is: there are many things threatening the physical retail stores nowadays. Piracy might be one, but I think it should not be your main concern, not when digital purchases are taking most of the business. So going mental on a blog article talking of a possibility of maybe running unsigned code (not even pirated games!) in maybe 6 months if we’re lucky… well let’s just say I hope you’re putting the same energy into fighting the PSN, Steam, Amazon, and all these other people putting you out of business.

As far as your developer friends are concerned, being a developer myself, I am not worried for their future: nowadays, good programmers always find a job, as long as they are not too demanding on the field/specialty they will work in.

My personal opinion set aside, I would be interested to get the numbers of piratebay dwnloads VS sales of your friends’ videogames. I am thinking of writing yet another article about the impact of piracy on the video game industry, and real-life numbers would help me to get more than my own opinion on the subject.

37. shades says:

Kiddo, understand that games sell consistently depending on their value as a GAME. Good games sell, bad games (usually) don’t. Obviously there will be discrepancies one way or the other, but in that case it usually comes down to how said game is marketed. The Xbox 360 and now PS3 are two of the most easy consoles to pirate on, yet I see no good games with market penetration consistently flopping because of piracy. And don’t even get me started on the NDS.

If you wanna fight against piracy, try fighting against PC piracy. You might actually have a case.

38. Game store owner says:

No problem dude. I do respect you and what you do, but why can’t we keep the homebrew on the open devices. I accept that digital is now affecting retail, and the iphone/android is taking huge chunks out of the hand held market. I guess if you put up any form of security on your software/hardware that’s like a red flag to a bull for hackers out there. Personally I still hold old school values with regards to my content. I like having physical copies. (saying that I am getting the Ouya via initial kick-starter pledge…) I don’t want everything to go DRM overkill and download only.

At the end of the day easy piracy deterred publishers from a platform. Piracy stems from the circumvention of the security of a closed platform that millions of people purchase to play games that were intended for that platform. Less games = less fun. Homebrew should stay off the closed platforms, and if someone manages to hack it keep it to yourself. put a video up on youtube even… just don’t ruin it for everyone else.

I’ll have a word with my friends regarding their games, but all the info is freely available on the interweb.

39. Game store owner says:

sorry, and the games were released pre iPhone/ android. There have been documented statements from the developer pointing their finger at piracy being the reason for poor sales. Look forward to reading your article.

40. wololo says:

Come on, let’s stay polite please, even (especially?) to people who don’t share your opinion :)

41. gunblade says:

still not nowing wat hardware the vita may have saying dat wen the new slim ps3 came out wit the new cheap set there firmware came prety hard to crack is dat anything need to worry about wit da vita thiking dat dea is a reason wy they have a system report thing going on wit the vita wont sony be able to lock a hack vita consle like they do wit ps3 from getting on dea psn network

42. gunblade says:

i still buy psp game cartige even do i had a psp 2000 wit cf on da like da dual 8 gig mery card i jus did not like the load time from the merory card to the load time to the disk but it wasent much i guess i also save money n space buy buy games used wen they got cheapper n have game dat did jus come out downloaded on my card

43. gunblade says:

da 3ds screen can get werdly like hypno mode

44. gunblade says:

yea sony should sell game catrige games dat have ps2 or psp games on dem for da vita dat way ill be more like updating to a new consle but sony can actuly market on older games n trying not take up to much memory card space.

45. gunblade says:

but they should have realse the vita wit r2 n l2 but i guess they can have a acesery for secend trigers nowing dat look likee the acesery port plug right in to the cpu/gpu

1. September 5, 2012

[…] […]

2. September 6, 2012

[…] it looks like they might be on to something. Today, a call was made on PS Vita hacking website Wololo for developers to step up to the challenge to help open up the […]

3. September 6, 2012

[…] bem, de acordo com o Wololo, um desenvolvedor que atende pelo nome de yifanlu teria descoberto um exploit de user mode para o […]

4. September 6, 2012

[…] informa el portal Wololo, un modder que se hace llamar yifanlu ha conseguido hackear la nueva […]

5. September 6, 2012

[…] “Developer Yifan Lu started a new project called Usermode Vita Loader (UVLoader), it will be a homebrew loader for the PSV, basically,” claims Wololo. […]

6. September 6, 2012

[…] Wololo Gaming News Categories: News, PS […]

7. September 6, 2012

[…] Wolodo, via NeoGAF Did you enjoy this article? If so, we’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments […]

8. September 6, 2012

[…] relatado pelo Wololo, isto é possível graças a uma lacuna que Yifan Lu encontrou na nova portátil da Sony, se bem […]

9. September 6, 2012

[…] Fuente | Wololo […]

10. September 6, 2012

11. September 6, 2012

[…] discovery of a Playstation Vita exploit has led to a fear that it will suffer the same fate as the Playstation Portable and has decided to […]

12. September 7, 2012

[…] unos minutos el portal Wololo se ha hecho eco de que un modder llamado yifanlu ha logrado hackear la nueva consola portátil de […]

13. September 7, 2012

[…] running as well. PlayStation Vita: Firmware Update Required Yifan Lu is working on a new project, Usermode Vita Loader (UVLoader), which is based on an unspecified Vita exploit. It currently works in theory, with "just […]

14. September 7, 2012

[…] that didn’t take long. Homebrew developer Yifan Lu has supposedly cracked PlayStation Vita and is working on a homebrew loading application for the system called “Usermode Vita […]

15. September 7, 2012

[…] hacker known as Yifan Lu, best known for reverse-engineering the Kindle, has deciphered an exploit in the PS Vita hardware and is now seeking developers to run homebrew programs. There is no information about how […]

16. September 7, 2012

[…] Einzelheiten nennt, sei es jedoch damit möglich, dass sich mithilfe des Vita Codes sogenannte Homebrew Spiele für den Handheld entwickeln lassen. Lu selbst habe den Exploit, welcher dafür benötigt wird, bei […]

17. September 7, 2012

[…] t&#959 &#609&#1077t a whole lot better b&#1077&#1089&#1072&#965&#1109&#1077 Yifan Lu h&#1072&#1109 discovered wh&#1072t m&#1072&#1091 b&#1077 &#1072n exploit f&#959r loading native homebrew code &#959n […]

18. September 8, 2012

[…] both the SNES/PSX. Emulation on the PS Vita is going to get a whole lot better because Yifan Lu has discovered what may be an exploit for loading native homebrew code on the […]

19. September 8, 2012

[…] purportedly found an exploit that allows retail systems to run native, homebrewed Vita code. Lu is seeking other developers to help with the project, though neither an expected release date nor information regarding how the exploit functions have […]

20. September 8, 2012

21. September 8, 2012

22. September 8, 2012

23. September 8, 2012

24. September 8, 2012

25. September 9, 2012

26. September 9, 2012

27. September 9, 2012

28. June 2, 2013

[…] Esto muestra cómo de fácil es romper la seguridad del pspemu, quizá es hora de poner nuestros conocimientos en algo mas interesante… […]