Usermode Vita Loader, devs needed!

Sure, running PSP homebrews on Vita is fun, and VHBL is a very nice piece of work, but it’s about time we move on, isn’t it?
Developer yifanlu started a new project called Usermode Vita Loader (UVLoader), it will be a homebrew loader for the PSV, basically.
Not PSP homebrews, but native PSV code, isn’t it awesome?

This project is based on a PSV exploit he found (there are no details about this for now, for obvious reasons), but it’s still in its early stages.
Just a few lines of code have been written so far (you can find the code on his github), so, back to the title, developers are needed.
If you’re a developer and you want to help, fork the project on github or get in touch with yifanlu on /talk or on IRC (#vitadev on EFnet).

If you’re not a developer, there’s nothing for you…yet. But it’s still an awesome news, isn’t it?
And please, avoid asking useless questions: there’s no release date yet and it doesn’t work for now, just be patient for now and let the developers do their job.

Yifan Lu will eventually post updates about this project on his blog or on twitter, so make sure to follow him.

Last but not least, congratulations to yifanlu for his Vita hack :)

- Freddy

1. Bob’s avatar

Keep it up and I may buy a Vita. Sony’s definitely not doing anything to entice me :)

2. Asmith906’s avatar

won’t this destroy what little interest devs had in making games for the system? I like vhbl because it doesnt lead to piracy on the scale that the psp was.

1. wololo’s avatar

1. Rowan’s avatar

@wololo well atleast it will hopefully enable a decent nintendo 64 emulator that can play banjo kazooie or some other game that never ran on the psp version of dedalusx64 emulator, maybe other emulators as well like gameboy or sega, maybe even sega dream cast (a guy can hope cant he?

1. Clad’s avatar

To do that they would have to rewrite the entire emulator from scratch. Including removing the ME sound module which gets most of the speed that you are referring to.

2. Anonymous’s avatar

Whether it’s intended to enable piracy or not, they need to accept that it will. And if they’re going to freak out and pull everything like some people I’ve seen in the past *cough* Nightwolf *cough* then I’d rather they did it now than later and just let someone else take over.

That said, it’s also a fallacy to just assume with so little basis that enabling piracy would somehow destroy the console. Sony has pushed the Vita out and replaced the PSP with it. Did piracy destroy the PSP? If anyone say yes I’m going to have quite the laugh at their expense given that the system STILL exists in some stores and there’s still the rare few releases for it now, seven years after it was first released worldwide.

If people are judging its lower popularity to be due to piracy, they’ve fallen into the trap that the likes of the MAFIAA have been trying to trick people into for ages now: they’ve assumed that anything that reduces sales in any way whatsoever must be ultimately due to piracy. This just simply isn’t true! Remember, the PSP was competing with the likes of the DS which has a very different style of games for the most part and, not coincidentally, has appealed to a more generic (and larger) audience. That didn’t make the PSP bad or even as lacking for games as one might assume, just less popular with the general populace (who consist mostly of people who aren’t really gamers — they just want to play something for a few minutes here and there — and kids who don’t play anything serious either.)

No, I suspect enabling piracy really won’t make things any different. The Vita still competes with other things such as the 3DS and sadly these days even smartphones and still has a tendency towards more serious games that might be less popular in total sales (but better to those of us who don’t prefer casual games.) Besides, the 3DS will probably be hacked someday as well (and my personal opinion in the long run we’ll be using software rather than hardware methods there just as with Sony’s hardware as the 3DS is a lot more like a PSP/Vita/etc than a DS in methods and functionality.)

In fact, I’m not convinced most of the real devs really worry nearly so much about it as people assume. Companies like Sony do obsess over DRM and such, but to some extent I think anti-piracy is more just a convenient excuse — what they really want isn’t the supposed sales that evidence does not conclusively prove or even necessarily support claims that they have have actually been lost. They want control. Absolute control over exactly what you can do with the content they have the rights to, where you can load it, how often you can use it without paying more, and so on. Piracy is more the convenient scapegoat than anything truly holding anyone back and even without it they’d just find something else to blame.

3. Jonathan’s avatar

Awesome work guys!
    So far I have used my vita as a Mobile TV and thats about it LOL. I never really was interested in the VHBL scene since I already got old darth vader slim. I literally use it as a SNES-in-your-hand.

Cant wait to play OoT:MQ and Code Veronica X on this baby!

4. Piet Pompies’s avatar

Just leave the thing alone you sad little cunts. You know where this will lead. Don’t deny it.

1. wololo’s avatar

Will do, since you ask so nicely :)

2. KonataRola’s avatar

>.> why the haters are reading this site….? hahaha is easy make you hater webpage and post your ¨hating¨ stuff there ,dont like piracy? dont use it then , this site is for HOMEBREW and nothing else ,even you like it or not ,you cannot nothing to stop it here. so.. stop making useless post`s and if you want to do something make it on the Right forums or blogs.

STFU HATERS THIS IS NOT THE BLOG FOR ANTI-PIRACY or PIRACY-CONTENT

Have a nice day ._.

3. MikeBeav3r’s avatar

I have no intention of using my PS Vita for pirated games, mainly as there is nothing I want to play on it. More than happy to use it for homebrew and emulation, but the actual releases for it are shit, hacking it won’t lead everyone to piracy, just the people who wouldn’t be buying the games anyway, it’s not like Vita games are small in (memory) size, they must weigh in at a good few GB each, and with the cost of Vita memory cards being quite high, there really is no benefit from pirating anyway.
      A couple of good emu’s (N64 mainly would be nice) and a function to convert you OWN PS1 games to run on it (why should I buy a digital version of something I already have?) and I’ll be happy.

1. gunblade’s avatar

ill probly still buy game dew to how much space they take up but i want to add a hard drive to my vita fo music videos n taking picture n shit got a 8 gig now probly get a 32 soon but larger storage would be nice.

5. gagdet’s avatar

“This is very early work and has no intent at enabling piracy. Let’s see how it unravels before reaching any hasty conlusions”

LOL, poor juvenile denial liar.

1. Ryan86me’s avatar

You DO know that this “poor juvenile denial liar” you’re talking about happens to be this owner of this website and has been a giant involvement in the psp and vita hacking scene, right? *facepalm*

1. Lelouch’s avatar

Actually freddy_156 wrote this article, not wololo.

2. wololo’s avatar

1. gunblade’s avatar

and helping to pay rent ….

6. Walter’s avatar

Here’s to hoping this will lead to emulators and homebrew, without piracy. We’ll get the best of both worlds that way.

7. Game store owner’s avatar

This will lead to piracy, and it will affect the sales of the console and games. Before you release this please think of the struggling games industry, and the thousands of people it employs who are all in fear of their jobs in these harsh times.

1. wololo’s avatar

ew, can we stop one minute with the gross cliches here?

1. Nobody’s talking of a release, the thing does not even compile yet, we’re talking of months of development before anything happens.

2. Even if that loader is finalized AND released (that’s 2 “if”), who tells you it will lead to piracy? Do you have a single clue how security is done on the vita?

3. The video games industry has never been so healthy, do you have numbers to confirm your arrogant affirmation that it is “struggling”?

4. Video game developers have a tough job, mostly because every kid who knows how to program wants to become a game developer. This is why they are underpaid for their jobs. If they are afraid of losing their job, they can move to other types of industries where developers are needed, and where they will make more money. I am tired of people in the entertainment industry who believe that doing a job in a field that you love is a right. More people struggle much more than them every day and it is sickening to talk to people who can’t think for a minute that they could be doing another job if they’re not happy with their work conditions working on video games.

5. The end of a platform does not mean the end of the video game industry, otherwise it would have died years ago.

6. Based on your user name, I assume you own a video game store. Are you sure it’s not the shift to digital content that is making you fear for your job? What share of your market/revenue/benefit does the Vita represent? Is it even significant for your business?

Seriously, I’m open to discussion with people who have good arguments, not ones that are trying to make me cry a river.

1. Game store owner’s avatar

You are talking jive wololo. I respect that the intentions of the homebrew scene are good, but it always leads to piracy, and the detraction of sales from the retail sector. be that by the avoidance from publishers due to piracy, or direct effects of piracy from users. The best case in point for this is the DS. When it was first brought to market we had awesome demand for JRPG imports that never came to Europe. After the homebrew scene got hold of the DS and the R4 was subsequently released the “hardcore” customers who would usually purchase the niche games just got an R4 and whacked it on there. This also stifles innovation on a platform. Publishers want safe bets where piracy would perhaps be an issue, but the sell through would reach past the demographic that would know how to run pirate software on their consoles. I have 3 friends who worked on PSP and DS projects that fell flat thanks to piracy. The pirate bay figures showed how many more times their games were illegally downloaded that purchased. Both studios were shut down.

Just want you to know that your little bedroom hobbies are fucking up peoples lives. Just so you can play NES and SNES games on one more device in your house… Get a rasberry pi or GPX32 or one of the many other devices meant for homebrew, and have a blast on that. I have, and the scene is expediently bigger than the PSP scene with far more interesting projects coming out of it daily.

1. wololo’s avatar

The sales of video games in the world rise faster than the world population every year, numbers prove you wrong. Piracy is one facet of the issue, but the real problem is that competition in the video game market has become extremely strong, that’s the main reason your friends’ projects didn’t make it through. Another reason is failure from their company to see that mobile gaming was being taken over by iOS and Android, wrong choice of platform. When did their projects get cancelled? 2005, or 2008?

Again, don’t work in an artistic/creative field if you can’t accept the possibility of a huge commercial failure.

You used to sell NDS imports, you must be super happy that the 3DS is region locked then, aren’t you? Clearly Nintendo is on your side to help you make beter sales with imports… or maybe not? The R4 allowed my wife to get a French teaching game on her DS that all stores in the world refused to ship to Japan because it was “reserved for the European market”. Fix all the major problems in the gaming/retail industry like this one or region locking, then come back and complain about how piracy is the reason people don’t buy imports.

About other homebrew communities such as Raspberry Pi: in all honesty I don’t have much time to program or hack these days, if you’ve been following me for a while, you might have seen that none of the Vita hacks I’ve blogged about in the past 9 months were done directly by me. I got some minor involvement, sure, but nothing critical. That being said, you’ve probably seen I started blogging about the Ouya, as well as some Chinese Android portable consoles, so yeah, I do have an interest in other platforms as well, except I don’t have that much time anymore to do anything with them, just like with the vita. In other words, you might be arguing with the wrong person, because I am not involved with that hack whatsoever, so far. As a matter of fact, I didn’t even write this article :)
          But yeah, agreed, other scenes look extremely interesting, and I am ooking forward to receiving my Ouya :)

I guess my point is: there are many things threatening the physical retail stores nowadays. Piracy might be one, but I think it should not be your main concern, not when digital purchases are taking most of the business. So going mental on a blog article talking of a possibility of maybe running unsigned code (not even pirated games!) in maybe 6 months if we’re lucky… well let’s just say I hope you’re putting the same energy into fighting the PSN, Steam, Amazon, and all these other people putting you out of business.

As far as your developer friends are concerned, being a developer myself, I am not worried for their future: nowadays, good programmers always find a job, as long as they are not too demanding on the field/specialty they will work in.

My personal opinion set aside, I would be interested to get the numbers of piratebay dwnloads VS sales of your friends’ videogames. I am thinking of writing yet another article about the impact of piracy on the video game industry, and real-life numbers would help me to get more than my own opinion on the subject.

1. Game store owner’s avatar

No problem dude. I do respect you and what you do, but why can’t we keep the homebrew on the open devices. I accept that digital is now affecting retail, and the iphone/android is taking huge chunks out of the hand held market. I guess if you put up any form of security on your software/hardware that’s like a red flag to a bull for hackers out there. Personally I still hold old school values with regards to my content. I like having physical copies. (saying that I am getting the Ouya via initial kick-starter pledge…) I don’t want everything to go DRM overkill and download only.

At the end of the day easy piracy deterred publishers from a platform. Piracy stems from the circumvention of the security of a closed platform that millions of people purchase to play games that were intended for that platform. Less games = less fun. Homebrew should stay off the closed platforms, and if someone manages to hack it keep it to yourself. put a video up on youtube even… just don’t ruin it for everyone else.

I’ll have a word with my friends regarding their games, but all the info is freely available on the interweb.

2. Game store owner’s avatar

sorry, and the games were released pre iPhone/ android. There have been documented statements from the developer pointing their finger at piracy being the reason for poor sales. Look forward to reading your article.

3. seriously?’s avatar

Why can’t we keep the homebrew on open devices?

Because any device I buy is mine and if it isn’t open I’m going to fucking make it open. When a device refuses to allow me to copy shit onto it with a simple fucking folder structure then it is trash unless I make it otherwise.

2. zz’s avatar

ah pls just shut up,your opinion is worth less than shit

1. wololo’s avatar

Come on, let’s stay polite please, even (especially?) to people who don’t share your opinion :)

3. Serafino’s avatar

Okay bad idea bringing in the ds okay it started diein because after 4 releases it never got better and the graphics suck and the 3d/3dxl just make ppl sick. Just because other asshole people pirate DOES NOT mean that we are going to pirate. The PSP started dieing off yes partly because of piracy but its also a 8 year old device only updated once and it only made it thinner. And don’t even start on the pap go

1. gunblade’s avatar

da 3ds screen can get werdly like hypno mode

4. shades’s avatar

Kiddo, understand that games sell consistently depending on their value as a GAME. Good games sell, bad games (usually) don’t. Obviously there will be discrepancies one way or the other, but in that case it usually comes down to how said game is marketed. The Xbox 360 and now PS3 are two of the most easy consoles to pirate on, yet I see no good games with market penetration consistently flopping because of piracy. And don’t even get me started on the NDS.

If you wanna fight against piracy, try fighting against PC piracy. You might actually have a case.

2. gunblade’s avatar

well buy next year we should have the ps3 tree fully hacked den since the ps4 is coming out n it wont be much market to sony nowing people will get in to the new ps4 sytem. n sony should stop working on update fo the psp n ps3 since dea psp has a secound gen for it n da ps4 is coming out soon..

8. nwert’s avatar

omg, if everyone who is whining here would have actually looked at how an operating system works, you would know that usermode is usually restricted, and I don’t think sony is that stupid and is going to export syscalls to mess with any encrypted content/binaries to usermode code.. From what I can tell when I was reversing the ps3′s lv2 kernel, it’s going to be interesting to find a kernel exploit in the vita’s kernel *if* they secured it the same way as they did with lv2, but that remains to be seen.

1. No1’s avatar

Just wondering, how do you mean with “it’s going to be interesting to find a kernel exploit in the vita’s kernel *if* they secured it the same way as they did with lv2″?

Do you mean that if the Vita is secured in the same way as the PS3, that it will be easy (or at least very possible) to find a kernel exploit in the Vita?

1. nwert’s avatar

Let me put it like this: I haven’t found a usable lv2 exploit so far..

1. No1’s avatar

I see. Thanks for the info :)

2. gunblade’s avatar

yea da vita mothoer borad also is interseting even wit not nowing wat the port buy the game port is for n hearing of spy tech n shit does seem hard to crack the vita tought it seemd like the vita has sum extra internal memory did not find out how much yet but ill have to get me an extra system before i start trying hard wea modes but hope this exploit will help atleast add a usb hard drive or sumthing like fo the psp or even let me use like a phone camera ass a camera fo the vita

9. Piet Pompies’s avatar

Can’t wait to play Pong on my Vita! I needed another device to play it on. Who cares if nobody will want to make actual Vita games for a device that’s hacked to fuck?

10. gagdet’s avatar

“This is very early work and has no intent at enabling piracy. Let’s see how it unravels before reaching any hasty conlusions.”

piece of juvenile denial shit, liar !!!

1. freddy_156’s avatar

Can you please avoid stupid comments like that? You’re just randomly insulting people and have no idea what you’re talking about.

2. zz’s avatar

“piece of juvenile denial shit, liar !!!”

piece of opinion which has no worth, shit, liar!

11. 7’s avatar

Very good read, I too would like to hear what this “game.store owner” has to say :)

12. Norml’s avatar

I sure hope it does not show up in that error log…

13. jp’s avatar

hope it doesnt lead to piracy

14. Jonathan’s avatar

WOW! So much HATE! These people just dont understand, If it wasn’t for this “Game industry” that put so much restrictions on who can develop on their device or what they can develop or how much of the CPU they have access to, we wouldn’t be trying so hard to hack it!

I mean, I cant even have a CALCULATOR or ALARM CLOCK on my ps vita! I remember hearing rumors that the android market would be on the ps vita, Oh how I wish that was true!

Sony cant even make good games or apps ON THERE OWN DEVICE! The camera app is crap, the video camera app is crap, the video playback app is major crap. For games, All they release is garbage opening titles and hundreds of minis (aka “flash games” on the pc) and since then there has only been ONE or TWO good games.

I will give props to sony for one thing, and that is the only company making a portable game device with MODERN hardware and ACTUAL physical buttons. But since all they care about is money and control.

Sony is afraid of anything innovative if it doesn’t make them, and only them, money. They have dictatorial control over developers and they completely don’t support Adobe Flash. You know what, I hope this leads to piracy, just to **** with sony for there lack of interest in actual game development and solely on “security” and money.

15. Walter’s avatar

Thankfully, the Vita has nothing to pirate.

1. Rowan’s avatar

+1 to you there buddy, all i would do with a hacked vita is run emulators for old games with physical buttons (unlike android and iPhone) not touch screen buttons (i hate touch screens, yes i no the vita has a touch screen)

1. Walter’s avatar

I’d use it like how I would’ve used the OpenPandora had they not run into an unbelievable amount of problems while manufacturing it.

16. Demix’s avatar

I support this not because I want pirated isos and shit but cause Sony just cant deliver final product it took ages for sony to put PS1 support and then there is lack of content 1 big title in 6 months is just not enough. Would be nice to see PS2 games on Vita. To all those whining about future of game devs support – I dont think there is any, compare how often are games released on Nintedo DS and how often on PS vita. As for piracy what is there to pirate really minis? PSN Doesnt have all psp games either(Id like to see some DBZ games I use to own on UMD). Dont take this as attempt to get pirated games on Vita but as attempt to do something Sony should’ve done at very begining.

1. gunblade’s avatar

yea sony should sell game catrige games dat have ps2 or psp games on dem for da vita dat way ill be more like updating to a new consle but sony can actuly market on older games n trying not take up to much memory card space.

1. gunblade’s avatar

but they should have realse the vita wit r2 n l2 but i guess they can have a acesery for secend trigers nowing dat look likee the acesery port plug right in to the cpu/gpu

17. Vitaaaaaa’s avatar

is it possable to run just the update file
    from the psp to psvita say, psm sdk?
    because that be nice makeing psp like” menu useing
    psp’s boot key to start the enter file then
    booting that to run the psp, like basicly dosbox
    or windows emulator.

18. Rowan’s avatar

someone should figure out a way to put stuff on the vita normally not with that stupid content manager

19. DS_Marine’s avatar

Sry for the noob question (I got my psv hours ago).
    But what’s the difference between using this loader, or just using sony PSM SDK (open beta)to code your apps?

1. gunblade’s avatar

well think dat the loder works of exploit from games n runiing sum psmsdk app might be easier nowing dat the apps dat did come wit the vita proboly did get much of updats wit patchs since they techinly aint the acutul os but the conten manger fo the vita to copy from the pc dosent reconis dies apps saying if u was to use a dev sdk app u would have to have it to easily modify does apps to load in to vita system mode noticing dat conten manger help u assec file only in da picher video n save games n ps vita n psp games so i guesing ull have to proboly go after da near or the remote player apps

1. gunblade’s avatar

also i geussing dat wen dea is a relase fo user mode dat we should have also work on sony snifing shit

20. 7’s avatar

I think Sony is taking extra precaution on the alarm, calculator ect. Apps even the simple ones to make sure their is no critical bugs to allow these hacks

21. gagdet’s avatar

wololo = teen fuckhead

“People who dont agree with console hacking like to imagine we are nerdy kids living in our parents basement. They couldn’t be more wrong. We are actually grownups. Living in our parents basement.”

22. dune dune’s avatar

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees . Finally we got a Hero who can hack PSV
    So Keep going do ur best .

23. Dynomite’s avatar

yifanlu is awesome. He’s the one who created the conversion tool for putting PSX iso into Xperia Play so people don’t have to rebuy overpriced PSX games for the phone. Look forward to his results :)

24. gunblade’s avatar

werd herd anything about a mod chip fo da vita sumthing like the game cartige fo the vita anything about da port next to the game port notice on da board goes like to the cpu wat do sony use the internal emenry on da vita for 8 gigs is prety much wasent it saposed to have android wy not jus have lunix back…

25. gunblade’s avatar

memory cam out hella bad (emenry)

· 1 · 2 · 3 ·