Usermode Vita Loader, devs needed!

Sure, running PSP homebrews on Vita is fun, and VHBL is a very nice piece of work, but it’s about time we move on, isn’t it?
Developer yifanlu started a new project called Usermode Vita Loader (UVLoader), it will be a homebrew loader for the PSV, basically.
Not PSP homebrews, but native PSV code, isn’t it awesome?

This project is based on a PSV exploit he found (there are no details about this for now, for obvious reasons), but it’s still in its early stages.
Just a few lines of code have been written so far (you can find the code on his github), so, back to the title, developers are needed.
If you’re a developer and you want to help, fork the project on github or get in touch with yifanlu on /talk or on IRC (#vitadev on EFnet).

If you’re not a developer, there’s nothing for you…yet. But it’s still an awesome news, isn’t it?
And please, avoid asking useless questions: there’s no release date yet and it doesn’t work for now, just be patient for now and let the developers do their job.

Yifan Lu will eventually post updates about this project on his blog or on twitter, so make sure to follow him.

Last but not least, congratulations to yifanlu for his Vita hack :)

- Freddy

1. Chris M’s avatar

YES! Oh good god I am excited for this :D Can’t wait to see the kind of things that come out of this. I am not under ANY circumstances updating past 1.80 until I hear more about this. Rock on, guys!

1. Jdubs’s avatar

OMFG! You guys are gods! Wish I was smart enough to do something to help, but I will be on the sidelines watching and cheering you guys on! Speaking of….GO COWBOYS!! :D

2. MikeeM’s avatar

Wololo, sorry for asking this stupid question. What is a user mode Vita Loader? Thanks!

1. Batman:Beyond’s avatar

Emulators on Vita at max speed

1. new’s avatar

I have a dream that one day I will be running SNES\MAME\Amiga at full speed with full sound on my PS Vita..Make it happen guys.. I do not care about ISO.

1. Dombre’s avatar

add dreamcast and ps2 and gamecube to that list.

1. arturia’s avatar

also add a ps2 emulator we need all our ps2 games again. screw psx we dont want it again.

2. asddf’s avatar

2. Elratauru’s avatar

Basically, its a way to run code off the Vita’s User Mode, as in “making the Vita say Hello World” or pretty much any homebrew you can imagine. Imagine as if you were able to program a game and running it for Vita without a Dev Kit.

It’s not kernel mode though, that means that no iso loading, and even less, OS modifications and stuff.

3. John’s avatar

It’s the same way that they can run homebrew without signed code and stuff with the PSP (via user mode), but with the Vita.

3. empc’s avatar

Awesome News !! wish i could help , i have some programming skills but idk anything about psp/vita programming , promise ill study hard so one day i can help you guys. for now all i can do is say THank You !! and keep it on!!

4. Elratauru’s avatar

Well, that’s a nice achivement you have there Yifan! Running unsigned code on the Vita would be pretty much badass, actually with a little more knowleadge It would lead to pretty awesome homebrew and emulators using that lovely Vita CPU/GPU we all know.

I’m definitively gonna keep an eye on this one.

5. MikeeM’s avatar

Wow! That would be awesome. Can’t wait for this to be released to the public.

6. Dj Android’s avatar

I would be honored to work with you guys. I have worked with coding and others. Im a active user on androidforums.l, so this should be easy to me.

7. Terry Rigopoulos’s avatar

this user mode hack will be through a ps vita game, right?

1. matt’s avatar

definitely a Vita game, or a Vita app. probably a really awful game, if the PSP exploits are representative of easily exploited games as a whole.

1. Terry’s avatar

thats great! it would be so much easier for everyone to get the hack, since we can just buy the vita cards at stores, as well as the PSN.

8. ndh777’s avatar

I appreciate VHBL, but it is time to move on lol good luck to you guys! I hope you can get this project running. I’d love to use my Vita at its fullest potential because Sony is not doing the job they promised us and these devices are capable of some amazing things…I can feel it! Good luck devs!

9. James Way’s avatar

Yifan Lu is the best. He was the first to hack the Kindle touch and lots of thanks go to him. Nothing crazy or illegal of course, I bought the fully paid for 3G version but I wanted to get my own pics on it for the screensaver.

10. >_>’s avatar

Just Released a HUGE Blob of jizz directly on my phone screen soon as I seen this
    No homo

11. Mr. Shizzy’s avatar

This is indeed great news – BUT:
    I don’t like the part that says: “VHBL is a very nice piece of work, but it’s about time we move on”

Hopefully vhbl is still going to see a release? :O

1. wololo’s avatar

Yes. Freddy’s personal opinions do not impact the VHBL schedule :) As a matter of fact, even if progress is made on other leads such as Yifanlu’s one, I think there are good reasons to keep working on VHBL as well.

2. MakoChild’s avatar

Vhbl will definately see more releases. This UVLoader won’t be out for some time I assume so vhbl will most likely remain alive. Just that the UVLoader makes more sense to be on the vita rather than just VHBL.

12. Stormchaserr’s avatar

Does any one know if we could run games like TES: Arena & Daggerfall…or even possibly morrowind for Ps Vita?

1. Rowan’s avatar

probs powerful enough if you ported it or made a basic pc emulator (dosbox for psvita anyone??)

13. Chase’s avatar

Im sticking with vhbl

14. Multiboy2k’s avatar

I am also all for progress as well.

BUT, it should not have to come at the expense of insulting the work that came before it.
    The ‘moving on’ statement reads as harsh towards the creators of vhbl. If there is a personal problem with the creators, separate that sentiment from the actual work. VHBL has been a blessing to those who use it. And, I am not new to the ‘scene’. I have been covertly involved since the wondrous haydays of the Commodore 64. I have seen MANY groups come and go. I may have even spearheaded a few in my day.(yes im older) And, the one thing I know for certain.

Everyone wins when we can ALL work together.
    Ego, Greed, envy, and the lust to be “number 1!”, all of these emotional defects are what I call, Scene destroyers. Just remember why you decided to contribute your work in the first place. The moment you forget about the love of it all and it becomes about status or $$money$$, you have instantly conceded to failure.

My 2 cents on that.

1. wololo’s avatar

I think it’s just wording. I won’t speak for Freddy, but I’m pretty sure he has nothing against VHBL, and this was just a weak choice of words because he’s not a native English speaker.

1. freddy_156’s avatar

That. Read my comment below. My native languages are italian and spanish, so I apologize for any error or if my words sounded arrogant or anything, I honestly didn’t mean to offend HBL or HBL in any way.

1. Multiboy2k’s avatar

I am very relieved to hear that. Thank you Freddy for responding. Thanks Wololo for clearing that up.

I dont know Wololo personally but I have been following him since the inception of Wagic.
          His dedication ranks amongst the top tier of all whom have contributed to the scene. Even now his contributions are stimulating the Vita community in a way that even Sony cant compare from a certain perspective. He is keeping the scene ALIVE. All of the excitement generated around HERE would not exist if there was no VHBL/HBL in existence. Alot of us are Wagic fans. However, HBL opened a door of new possibility when the PSP was all but on it’s final stages at one point. And now with the Vita, even greater possibility is present.

It’s a wonderful day when all programmers/coders/hackers and even fans of the scene can respect one another. Wololo deserves our respect. Period.
          He hasnt a charged us a dime for sharing his passion and hard work in all of this.
          The only price fans have ever had to pay was with the currency of patience. And, that’s so that WE would gain better benefit from a more complete product.

Sorry for the long post.
          It needed to be said.

ATTN VHBL FANS:
          If you truly want to show the creator of VHBL how much you appreciate him,
          Take the few seconds out of your life to click on the ADS in this entire site.
          Make a game out of it, see how many ads you can find in this entire site and simply click on them. It doesnt cost You anything and this is how you can say Thank You in ACTION and not mere words.

Thanks Wololo, Neuron, and all of the contributors of Vhbl!
          *clicks the Symantec Backup Ad at the top of this page*

Namaste

1. Davee’s avatar

Your posts are very utopian and not really applicable to real life. Also, clicking on ads isn’t going to help the developers who are actually porting VHBL. If you really want to help developers message them and ask them if they’d accept a donation. Some would, some would ask you to donate it to a charity. That is how you help devs.

2. Davee’s avatar

This post is ridiculous; very utopian.

1. Multiboy2k’s avatar

Lol…somehow I expect this response from you Davee. No disrespect but an observation.
        I stand fully by my post 100%

I find your view to be somewhat dystopian.
        Equally unrealistic because you dont seem to understand how ad dollars work.
        I make close $1100/month in just ad dollars. This is just pocket change compared to what major sites make. But, I digress.

My motivation and intent was clear when I posted. It had YOU in mind.
        …but, im not so sure what your motivation was in the reply other than to insult me and methods to help You. Could there have been a nicer way to ‘educate’ me on this matter?

As for donations, if you remember we tried that. And, paypal became an issue. Then Neuron couldnt accept donations, etc, etc..all old news. *sigh*

1. Davee’s avatar

You had me in mind? Excellent, so tell me more about that :)

2. Davee’s avatar

Anyway, wasn’t trying to insult you. I’d like to discuss this issue with you though, it’s definitely a good debate.

3. gunblade’s avatar

yea i jus lern about all doughs adds an dat one can get cash for them .. werd

15. snailcomment’s avatar

Question: Why is this exploit’s code being posted publicly before release? Won’t this allow Sony to patch it before the exploit is ready?

1. senas8’s avatar

While the source is pubic to view.. its really not.. How many can really understand the source code? I believe while the source provides the loader.. it doesn’t provide the actual method from what loads the exploit. This is an exploit, but from what? Not sure yet.

2. Yifan Lu’s avatar

It’s not the exploit code, it’s the payload (what we run WITH the exploit). That’s perfectly fine and I’m hoping it can easily be ported to future Vita exploits.

3. matt’s avatar

As Yifan Lu noted, the code being posted doesn’t do anything to identify the exploit that he has. The code is for an exploit-neutral loader to monitor resources & handle requests from whatever homebrew Vita applications are ultimately written, I believe.

16. TrECeNTeRs’s avatar

So I have a question. This is a User Mode Exp for the Vita. Once this is complete will it be possible to use all of the Vita functions? Just wondering what all would be available.

Camera, Touch pad, Right Analog, Card reader, Expansion Port, Wireless Card and ect…?

I am guessing it will only use what the exploited program is able to use? If that is the case this don’t need to be answered.

Also wondering if this could go as far as loading up an OS.

Sorry, I just didn’t see much about what is possible other then that it is VHBL for Vita User Mode.

Thanks Guys, Congrats!

17. Tonyuk73’s avatar

I was thinking about the “moving on” thing just yesterday we have to, my psp 1000 will not last for ever in fact its on its way out and same goes with the ps3 scene too, them hot phat models are not going to last for ever running 3.55 cfw, even the slim models will start to fail in another few years then what.Same goes here.We have to move on.

And yes i can run psp homebrew on my vita which is so cool.but will be nice when wololo releases his first Vita_brew.

1. gunblade’s avatar

yea think ill be using my ps3 as a backup server like my fisrt gen xbox wen the new playstaion comes out oooh day nasne thing would be cool

18. freddy_156’s avatar

I didn’t mean to insult VHBL, it’s an awesome project , and UVLoader itself will be based on HBL according to yifanlu; I only meant to say that it’s time we start looking into the PSV, that’s all.

1. TrECeNTeRs’s avatar

Freddy, It wouldn’t matter what you said people would find a way to twist it. You said “VHBL is Very Nice” so there is no reason for people to say anything.

“but it’s about time we move on, isn’t it?” Great quote!, This got me excited knowing that there are people pushing past the PSP Emu roadblock.

You shouldn’t apologize for anything. Good Post!

2. gunblade’s avatar

well dat was bacis plan wen hbl came out it was jus da sense dat it was like the fist vita hack thus da hello world

19. w00tguy123’s avatar

ZOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!11 This news is the best news :O F5 button prepare to be pummeled into molten plastic.

If I had any idea how something like this would be programmed I would love to help. If nothing else, I’ll make sure to contribute some early vita ‘brews!

20. Cercata’s avatar

That would be F***ing awesome !!!!

21. rofl’s avatar

wooohooo it means we already grasp psvita memory structure :3

22. yyy’s avatar

I hope that this wont lead to much piracy. The Vita really doesnt need to get this at this point. Even if the effect of piracy cant be messured, it is a fact that many western developers used piracy as a reason for not making games for the PSP. Who knows if it was more of an empty excuse or if it was an acctual factor that determained the PSP support or not, but at least this is one reason that was given by some developers. The Vita isnt exactly overflowing with games at the moment, so i hope that this hack wont make the situation even worse.

By the way, what advantage does this hack gives compared to Playstation Mobile?

1. thevoiceover’s avatar

I get angry when developers blame “piracy” for not creating a game on a product to cover their main cause. $ony itself has made issues that keep the developers away (promising OtherOS and then taking it from us, etc..) Look what $ony said on the bluray front, “choose this way, hd-dvd has been hacked and we won’t anytime soon” then cinavia, etc… That and all the proprietary memory formats and devices (MD, etc, and content manager) they have enough problems that make developers angry.. My point, piracy probably hurts, but if the product is good enough and the games are good enough – people buy them and developers profit well.

1. yyy’s avatar

First i must say that MD (Minidisc) is not a proprietary device. Other companies like Sharp, Panasonic and TDK made MD stuff. MD was a solution that was tried before MP3 players took over. And if Bluray wasnt hacked at the time when Sony said that, then it is a fair selling point i think since no one knew when Bluray would be hacked at that time.

About piracy, it is impossible to say how much affect it actually has. I agree that games that are very good have a good chance to sell very well despite piracy.

2. yyy’s avatar

I forgot to say one thing, the OtherOS stuff was more of a principle rather than actual usage. OtherOS was afterall available for about 4 years, but hardly any homebrew developer made much stuff for it, at least from what i know. I can understand the principle, but at least it wasnt something that affected tons of people when we talk about actual usage.

1. Rowan’s avatar

the reason OtherOS was removed is at the time it was cheaper to buy a ps3 then it was to buy a blu-ray player for your pc and you got the gaming side as well so what people did was buy a ps3, install linux and then rip blu-rays and upload them to the pirate bay

2. Yifan Lu’s avatar

I can’t say for future Vita hacks, but this one is basically what you have for PSP with HBL. You can load homebrews but it is physically and technically impossible to load ISOs/backups/pirated content/roms since we don’t have kernel access. In addition those stuff are encrypted and we also need kernel access to even think about decrypting.

Now the advantages. 1) PSM has a limit on how much ram you can use. I think it was like half the ram on the vita. 2) PSM does not have access to back touchpad and camera and other Vita specific features (it can only use features found on psm android phones as well as vita). 3) PSM uses bytecode which is relevantly slower to run. That means no high performance emulators like N64 or PS1. There’s more reasons but I don’t have the time to type them all.

1. yyy’s avatar

Thanks for the info :) Since unsigned code can be run, how likely is it that future hacks will be possible? With PSP, HBL first came after that the PSP was hacked if i’m not mistaken. This time with the Vita, it seems to be the other way around, that HBL comes before the Vita is hacked.

I see. Yeah, Playstation Mobile isnt really Vita specific, so i can see that it has more limitations to make sure that the PSM games will work on multiply devices.

2. gunblade’s avatar

well wy not guess write da dev app slap it on a modified game cartige n try boot the apps wit full vita game catrige saport probly even extra memeory

3. CATPowah’s avatar

I don’t blame dev for their lack of game library. If I were one of the devs, I too will have problem developing a game. You have to think about the character design, BGM, this story line and that. So much things to think about and you want it to be as perfect as possible. That’s probably the reason Vita don’t get that much game. The only thing we can do now is wait and wait until we see what’s out in the store and PSN.

1. yyy’s avatar

I think that the game support for Vita isn’t that strong yet is because publishers doesn’t believe that much in the sales potential of the system.

4. gunblade’s avatar

well sony way to deal wit piracy now days is there mobile apps since fully marketed games wer getting easy to aquare wit out purchise i guess they decide to make money on a 100 five dallers games den two fifty daller games

23. Azezzara’s avatar

HOLY SHIT :O i can’t wait til the Emulators is so fast. Think about it! N64 almost flawless on the vita!! and snes and all the other older consoles WILL run flawlessly.

24. Lodad’s avatar

All I want is counterstrike on the Vita

25. Ryp’s avatar

HOLY SHIT, THAT is good news !
    Can’t wait to hear about an hello world on the vita !

26. mirko8054’s avatar

when can be released? maybe the beta!!

27. HSV’s avatar

Hope one day the Vita can load PSP backup games!

1. Acid_Snake’s avatar

you don’t need a Vita hack to do this. Have you heard about SCFW?
      Basically it’s a PSP CFW on the Vita, using a PSP Kernel Exploit. This is most like a lot more doable than an actual Vita hack to play PSP ISO

1. coldjim’s avatar

whatttt? really???? Where?

28. warfaren’s avatar

You’ve got a typo in there: that’s actually UserLAND Vita Loader

1. warfaren’s avatar

depends on how you see it i guess
        descriptively it is correct…
        but that’s what yifanlu named it so thats what i think it should be referred to as

29. Minimur’s avatar

is it like the vhbl but you can acces it straight from your vita not on a psp game ?

1. w00tguy123’s avatar

Not really. They’re similar in that they both load homebrews, but VHBL games won’t work in UVL.

UVL has the potential to use the full power/controls of the Vita, unlike VHBL, which uses the power/controls of the PSP.

Developers will need to make games/apps from scratch, or adapt their PSP programs to work with the Vita hardware. I’m really excited to see what happens when the Vita is open to this development.

30. KonataIzumiZero’s avatar

what language is the UVloader based off of :P?

31. jasonhdkr’s avatar

I’m not sure, but I think that is C

32. Chris’s avatar

THIS is what I’ve been waiting for. Native emulation for Vita would kick some serious ass I bet. Thanks to the extensive functionality of the hardware homebrew could also be very creative and fresh compared to what has been done on PSP. I very much hope there’ll be a vibrant homebrew scene on Vita someday and that this is the first step towards it. Keep it up!

1. gunblade’s avatar

still not nowing wat hardware the vita may have saying dat wen the new slim ps3 came out wit the new cheap set there firmware came prety hard to crack is dat anything need to worry about wit da vita thiking dat dea is a reason wy they have a system report thing going on wit the vita wont sony be able to lock a hack vita consle like they do wit ps3 from getting on dea psn network

33. PsVITAHackbeginner’s avatar

YEAA I CANT WAIT FOR THE RELEASE!SO I NEET FOR DEV A VIDEOGRABBER TO RECORD THE VITA SCREEN WITH SOUND!IS THE A REAL IDEA?

34. dimy93’s avatar

Questions:
    1.How an usermode exploit can be used without specific info for Vita’s hardware
    2. Would it be instantly possible to use the potential of the exploit e.g will there touchscreen support, full use of vita’s ram and processor(as much as the user control enables) etc from the very beginning or it would take time to find the usermode calls for all that
    3.Is there any plans for release

35. shades’s avatar

If this is true, then we may be one step closer to the gloriousness that is an Android and iOS emulator. It’d be as though we just turned the PSVita into the single most universal device in the world :D

36. >_>’s avatar

I’ll be set with a usrrmode exploit, as long as I don’t get banned fron SEN with full speed emulation this will be the ultimate device
    Tbh i expected u devs to hold off this kinf of exploit for a few years to let the game library grow

37. psvita_user’s avatar

cool

38. z-up’s avatar

Hi,

i`ve some basic knowledge of Programming and C/C++, but i cant connect this to the hardware part. For example I wonder, how something like the UVL is compiled?

cheers

39. 7’s avatar

I have broken into NASAs main security, and have mastered all programming languages and I also would like to help, btw I am not affiliated or do not work for Sony as head security definitely am not :)

1. matt’s avatar

lol you seem very trustworthy

2. gunblade’s avatar

linix wine made my day running widows aplacation on linux was sweet

40. keane’s avatar

This is amazing news!!! Good luck yifanlu, wololo and the devs involved and to be involved, you are one great dev, yifanlu, very impressive, just like Wololo, neuron, Kgsws, Coldbird, Davee, Raing3 and so many more :)

Again best of luck! :)

41. Rusty’s avatar

All I just want is for you guys to NOT release this AT ALL. Seriously, you’ve given us non-hackers and jailbreakers enough problems, especially when your hacks happen to screw over a struggling game company trying to mass-market a struggling game console to the public, all the while being pummeled by the likes of Apple and Nintendo.
    Can you for once please think of the consequences for doing such an action?

1. Yifan Lu’s avatar

My goal in life is to destroy everything gamers cherish and love.

1. No1’s avatar

Well, at least you take responsibility for your actions? :)

1. dimy93’s avatar

as we opened the topic:
          I do not want to be a bad oracle of sth but when this gets released there is great chance for Sony to go after Yifan Lu because he is violating some of the long terms and conditions of device use as they did with geheot

1. No1’s avatar

Does he live in the US? Nothing happened to the Fail0verflow guys, and most of them live in Europe. One of the guys live in the US i think, but i dont think anything happened to him either.

2. JMJorge19’s avatar

I support Yifan Lu, even in his sarcasm

3. Jonathan Tung’s avatar

Please tell me you’re being sarcastic. Also, I agree with No1: Releasing this exploit will be like using a double edged sword: one side could lead to improvements to the system while the other would only lead to mass piracy, killing off the system entirely.
        Do you really want the latter to happen?

1. No1’s avatar

This exploit shouldn’t allow any piracy to work, so Yifan wouldn’t enable this by himself directly. I’m more curious if this will lead to more exploit being much easier to find though.

2. dimy93’s avatar

Do you really read…………
          It’s only usermode and i really doubt to see native kernel exploit on Vita any time soon so this remains purely on the possitive side.
          Moreover like all exploits a very limited group of people would take advantage of it(this is a wild guess as I don’t know exactly which part of the FW is exploited but Vita has many security measures to prevent massive number of people to hack their console as you can now on PSP).
          Last but not least in the lifecycle of every console there is a moment when piracy becomes available to the mass public. Is not that bad as you think especially taking under consideration the limitations that i introduced thus far.
          Last but not least not the exploit is what we should fear from but its commercial use (the thing that happens with the PS3 scene right now).
          In conclusion, you are far from the truth my dear friend

2. No1’s avatar

Hacking a system could increase the hardware sales and awareness. But if piracy happends, and software sales doesnt increase, then increased hardware sales alone doesnt mean much for the companies, especially with Vita in specific, which is sold with minimal profit, or maybe even sold with a loss.

But i agree with what you say about responsibility. Hacking a system could lead to a lot of stuff, good things and bad things, so there is a responsibility that should be taken here in my opinion.

3. thevoiceover’s avatar

Nintendo seems to release the games and have been EASY to hack on every system, what has that destroyed for the nintendo fans? They still release fun systems with some good titles. As for apple, IOS happened the way it has b/c of the hackers, remember IOS was once web only and the hackers created the first apps for it.. along with that, the direction apple took with it has been apparent from hackers (even many of their patents are things hackers did first.) Xbox, hmmm XBMC sure looked like the 360 Dashboard. Come on, linear minded people like you are the end to creativity and thought.

Imagine where this world would be now if all software was GPL (yeah some pissed of developers as they have made tons from it.) I think the same concept goes for things like pharmaceutical companies, yeas R&D needs support, but should children and others (in many countries) have to pay that much (some thousands a month) for HIV and cancer medication? No, share info for the better of our people (at least info that really helps this world.) I think this is the general way these people think and supporting these things I believe lead to the struggles our world already is in. Take the greed out, let these guys continue doing what they do for knowledge and yes keep your beliefs as someone soon will hack it anyway.

1. thevoiceover’s avatar

Ohh yeah and chill out guys, nothing has been released yet and who knows if it will by this team. I would only hope so and wonder why people think these releases are the reason $ony is not profiting. Hell we all are paying x amount of dollars to purchase a game to enable homebrew. Surely we would all purchase a game that is actually good on a system that is engineered for the people, not against them.

4. gunblade’s avatar

well its a tuff market but apple n nintendo systems were hacked hacks for the nintendo did not even faze nintendo apple jailbreaking did get shity wit virus n werd as$ spy apps but realy iphoones jus dont have a lot of room to save a lot of pichers n music but sony thens to be prick saying dat wen jailbreaking the ps3 sumbody gotn in trouble using the outher os to do outher thing they had to care dat realy they should jus leave dea systems alone wen they do get hacks would jus be easier dat way saying i would have like it alot wen i herd the first update patch fo the vita was coming out expecting sony to make updates fo there web brosers n deal wit frezzing the systems had i had it once my screen wouldent load n the sony vita home button was like glowong blue thought it was loading den was about to shut down but minets tern to hours not think i notice the system was hela hot wishing it was like the psp were i could jus pop out the batery but i had to figure fo my self to hold the power butten till it truned of n it took almost a min before it dis trun off

42. Pirate Cat’s avatar

I know you asked us not to ask dumb questions but, should I keeping chilling on 1.66, or should I update to 1.80?

43. brandon fox’s avatar

Fuck you hacker scum. Now they are never gonna drop the price of those memory cards :(

44. D’s avatar

How about you assholes code things for PlayStation Suite instead of enabling pirates and killing off support for Vita the way CFW killed the PSP in the west?

1. warfaren’s avatar

How can’t you see it?

The CFW is what made the PSP awesome
      If that console was never hacked or modded in any way, Sony still wouldn’t have been able to make it even 1% as awesome as it is on CFW. Want proof? The PS3 wasn’t hacked for several years, just look at how awesome it was before that…

And before you think of anything like that, no, I’m not talking about piracy here. That’s not what is awesome about a modded PSP.

2. wololo’s avatar

There’s nothing in this about piracy for now, you are jumping to conclusions.

About Playstation Suite, I personaly lost interest when they rejected my registration for the Beta, does that answer your question?

1. yyy’s avatar

Wasnt the PS Suite Beta open for everyone after a while? It is understandable that not everyone gets into a beta.

1. wololo’s avatar

You’re right. I just said I lost interest after that, not that it was unfair :)

1. yyy’s avatar

I understand. But at least you can try out PSM now if you changed your mind :)

2. yyy’s avatar

I understand, fair enough :) But if you change your mind, you can try PSM now at least :)

3. yyy’s avatar

Sorry for double post (triple with this hehe).

3. gunblade’s avatar

well the psp got shity in da west cuz thing like itouch n smart android fons cam out n being able to have newly hundred of apps dat let u do thing from play games to edit a picture right after u take the picher or even have apps dat let u buy coffe wit ur fon gagets dat do things like dat is wy portable gameing is low wit sony wy sony did try to get in to the app market

1. gunblade’s avatar

i still buy psp game cartige even do i had a psp 2000 wit cf on da like da dual 8 gig mery card i jus did not like the load time from the merory card to the load time to the disk but it wasent much i guess i also save money n space buy buy games used wen they got cheapper n have game dat did jus come out downloaded on my card

45. Wolfgang Wozniak’s avatar

Hello.
    As a game developer currently developing for a certain platform, I’d like to say this–

Please don’t ruin this platform like the one before it. It’s a wonderful piece of hardware that I’m having a lot of fun with my team on right now, and we’d like to continue.

I hope you’ll sort of consider the ramifications of what this means for new content for the system and are willing to somehow stop actual piracy.

I hope you all enjoy the upcoming titles from the Playstation Mobile teams, and I really, really hope you’ll help us enable great games of what is really the last bastion of great handheld hardware and software.

I’ve included my contact email if you wish to speak more.
    Thanks,
    Wolfgang Wozniak
    Creative Director
    Wolfgame
    @Ouren

1. Jd8531’s avatar

In no way did “we ruin” the last console. Piracy doesn’t affect a console or device. You’ve obviously not looked at the iPhone which is jailbroken and you can pirate games with ease yet record setting profits are being posted. The psp isnt dying, there is still a strong community and new versions of the psp are STILL coming out over seas. I am a game developer too and in no way is a problem. If your product is good enough people will buy it. There are so many positive affects of piracy.With that said kernel exploits are way off maybe even never. Homebrew is NOT piracy.

1. No1’s avatar

It is a bit different when games costs $30+. Smartphone games are like 99 cent, maybe a bit more, but not really that much more.

But i agree that piracy is definitelly not the only factor for a game sales. It is impossible to messure exactly how much effect piracy has on sales.

1. Danniemon’s avatar

This is a Usermode exploit, you cant pirate games from a Usermode exploit and pirating games does not kill a system, Pc gaming is very popular and people pirate games for it ALL the time. Its up to Sony to make buying the game worthwhile by restricting DLC and multiplayer to purchased copies of games somehow and providing great customer support and service to its customers. Just look at Valve’s Steam.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

I was just using it as an example, there are other platforms where it still applies. Ive seen a ton of games on the iphone run $9 and still make huge amounts of money. You can pirate games on the ps2,xbox360 ect and those are still making huge amounts of money. Yes flashing a console is harder but it is just as used as any and PC is a prime example. The only reason people pirate on there is because of DRM like on diablo. You should see the steam profits, its absurd.

2. No1’s avatar

I know, i was just saying that there were a difference between 99 cent games and $30+ games :) It wasnt really related to this Vita exploit, just piracy in general.

3. No1’s avatar

@Jd8531: Yeah, i agree that piracy isnt always as bad as someone say it is. But it can have an effect on systems. For example, some developers said that they wouldnt be making PSP games because of all the piracy. It could just be an empty excuse for all we know, but that is what someone said at least.

2. thevoiceover’s avatar

yes but in app purchases is where they kill you.

I like this idea though releasing the kit like apple did – indie developers finally get to make money instead of these “teams” that work in office, expecting to make “millions” (usually by underpaying their developers) and releasing crappy titles each year with minor upgrades.

I still think if you release a good title for a great price you will profit way more than an ok title at a high price.. This in my opinion is why apple is succeeding and many indie developers are finally seeing some money.

1. Wolfgang Wozniak’s avatar

The Vita already has what you’re talking about.
            Please try to do a little bit of research before… I don’t know, I’m just really sad now, anyway, here’s the link to the IDE.

2. No1’s avatar

How do you mean with “yes but in app purchases is where they kill you”?

Yeah, Playstation Mobile is a great thing, i agree to that :)

2. wololo’s avatar

Sent you an email

3. new’s avatar

Here is the funny part.. If you ask what people run the most on their hack PSP, they will tell you Nintendo Games NES/GBA/SNES/..second Sega/CPS1 and CPS2/NeoGEO. I have a PSP GO and I use it for GBA/GBC/GB. I wish Wololo would have another post on how they would use the Vita if they had “user mode” vita. I know that I would use it for NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/MAME/CPS1,2/NeoGeo/AMIGA.. If Sony blocks my ability to play those emulators\games with a firmware update then I will never update and Sony and game developers will not make a penny out of me. That is what happened to me on the PSP. What I’m trying to say is that Nintendo seems to be the one more affected by this “user mode vita” and should be like FFFFFF..You know that everyone is waiting for a perfect SNES on the GO:)and yes in my “opinion” Emulator equal piracy but take a look at the Digital old consoles games pricing model from both Sony and Nintendo and tell me if that looks right to you.

1. gunblade’s avatar

isent dea even apps dat a like full game from like supernintendo think i saw s sonic apps

46. Damon’s avatar

You guys are basically developing a stepping stone for the other hackers to enable pirated games to run on the vita,plz do not do this,have some respect for the developers who work their asses off only for their games to be pirated,this is just a hobby for you guys but it’s their livelihoods which will be affected,hope you understand

1. kanye’s avatar

Yeah because what Sony is doing right now is totally fair? It was a long time coming. Having all that firepower and keeping the safety on, it was a matter of time before a team introduced the full potential of the Vita.

Sure people are going to run Vita ISO’s on it but think of all the other things we will now be able to do with it.

Pucker up son, if you feel so much for the video game dev’s then send them a monthly cheque.

Kanye

1. gunblade’s avatar

i think sony vita hard ware abit harder to crack den the ps3 n the psp da vita has system scans dat it sends to sony wit its live screen updates

47. Danniemon’s avatar

Where are all these people that are hating on wololo and trying to make yifanlu not release the exploit saying it will kill the vita come from?

1. w00tguy123’s avatar

Sony

1. Jd8531’s avatar

omg my sides i cant stop laughing. Sony lol

48. Old wise man’s avatar