PS Vita firmware 1.80 blocks VHBL

Well, this is a surprise, and not a good one. Vita firmware 1.80 comes with a few unwelcome updates, one of them being that it blocks VHBL.

I have good and bad news. The good news is that, as far as I could see, VHBL still runs fine on firmware 1.80. The bad news is, it is impossible to copy it to the PS Vita. The version I tested had been installed before the update to 1.80, but sadly I could confirm the 1.80 update prevents us from copying the VHBL files, ad well as homebrews, to the memory card.

Vita firmware 1.80 comes with a forced CMA update (open CMA, sadly, didn’t help to prevent that), which, among other things, has a series of more advanced checks on the files it copies from and to the Vita. Remember how we could put anything we wanted in the PSP savedata folders, and get CMA to copy that to the vita? install.zip, h.bin, etc, etc… well, all of this is over, and now only the allowed files for each specific save seem to be accepted.

Several people are already looking into this, but for now it means that our long awaited VHBL release is, at the very least, postponed, if not worse.

I am not sure this is a good strategy from Sony. As I’ve been saying for a while, VHBL is a blessing in disguise for Sony, because it distracts many skilled hackers, focusing the attention of the scene on something that is basically harmless. The day VHBL is blocked, these people will start to look for other ways to hack the vita. Note however that I am not sure if this is just Sony cleaning up their CMA code by enforcing stricter rules, or if this is intentionally made to prevent VHBL from running.

As you can imagine, I am the first one to be disappointed by this, stay tuned while we are (of course) looking for solutions…

1. 2die4’s avatar

What about a dex ps3 to copy files onto the ps vita

1. No1’s avatar

Doesnt help. The checks are in the Vita itself, not on the PS3.

2. James’s avatar

It WILL be broken…….code cannot stop code…….everything gets hacked……but it might be old news by then

3. matt’s avatar

hey, does anybody know how to avoid getting the “oldest” version of the comments when going back to different pages? I always seem to be stuck seeing the first few comments if I go to a previous comments page, even when there are actually hundreds.

And also what’s the deal with VHBL? There likely will be a release at this firmware revision, if the problem with transferring through CMA is overcome?

4. Yes’s avatar

Using a PS3 (CEX or DEX) to hack the Vita is not useful at all i think. From what i know, the PS3 just acts like a content manager, and then you might just use a PC, which is the most open platform at all.

5. Psvitality’s avatar

They fixed it!
    Suck it Sony

6. Ks810’s avatar

This site no longer works correctly on my vita. Hmmm.
    Tomb raider does
    not even work right.
    SONY = FUN GOVERNOR!

7. Ks810’s avatar

Thanks to the spys@sony.
    Sellouts.

1. No1’s avatar

Who is spys and sellouts?

1. Ks810’s avatar

Reread my post.
        I think I was pretty clear.

8. Riku’s avatar

Well this sucks :\

If this is the reason 1.80 took so long to get here than, seriously, screw sony

1. eviLucifer’s avatar

Is it not the same method as Wololo used pre-installed VHBL?

1. tusso’s avatar

Yes but he had to apply to the CMA a new patch.

9. eviLucifer’s avatar

It’s all about time remember this, everything gets hacked on the right time. If Vita is already hacked then it’s incomplete because we won’t get all new features like in 1.80, Sony will patch the exploit and we’ll be stuck on an old FW like PS3 for example 3.55 after that it’s almost impossible to hack and now we miss a lot of features.
    Since Vita is a newborn baby, I think we should wait for a stable FW with the right features we need then it’s the time to release the hack in public and we wouldn’t care for future FW updates.

10. GingerIpods’s avatar

Yass, neur0n has got VHBL to work with the latest CMA https://twitter.com/neur0ner/statuses/240580334427729923

1. Xemnas’s avatar

Haha, Sony.
      You can’t win so suck it.

11. -X-77’s avatar

AWESOOOOOME =D
    Way to go Neur0n!

12. CrazyWomen’s avatar

At least this is progress so i can’t complain.

13. 2die4’s avatar

You can create a installable vita pill like the ps3 does when you download it from psn you can sign it with official keys that are out spoof psn connection and the firmware on the dex and copy it over as dex 4.20 has vita functionality so install it on 3.55 dex move up to 4.20 dex and copy it

14. theknox1992’s avatar

the ps vita is still very new sony wants to keep its control right now really tight becuase of all the new games coming out that can really boost its buy rate and stuff like that sony just wants its baby to do well even though that the shit there doin is so uncalled for the ps vita feels like security system right now that i dont even know the password to its like ownin a pc without non administrator account

1. theknox1992’s avatar

without an administrator account (correction)

2. No1’s avatar

It will always be like this. It was like this from day one of the Vita launch, and Sony will try to do everything to keep it secure. If it feels bad, why did you buy it? Just wondering. I dont understand why people buy something and then complain later on how it is.

1. No1’s avatar

I mean, i can understand if they buy something and the item isnt working properly. Then i understand the complaints. But it was known that the Vita was a closed system from day 1.

1. wololo’s avatar

Not entirely true. The PSP was a closed system. The vita, on the other hand, is the mother of all closed systems.
          Sony did not announce how CMA would work, how copying files to the system would require constant internet connection, etc… that was discovered by early buyers after they had made the purchase.

Even today, few websites explain clearly how restrictive CMA really is.

1. No1’s avatar

I still dont see the big problem with CMA. Having to have internet connection is not really a problem at all in these days, generally speaking. I mean, certainly in some cases people dont always have internet access, maybe if they are traveling with a laptop to take on example. But for the most part, having internet connection is not a problem for most people.

How CMA works is pretty self explanatory from my experience. You install the program on your PC, then connect the Vita. Then you get option on the Vita screen what you can do.

2. wololo’s avatar

So, you trust that Sony’s servers will still be here in 2 years… how about in 10 years?

3. No1’s avatar

In 2 years, definitelly. In 10 years? No idea to be honest. 10 years is a long time, much can happen by then.

But if the servers is being shut down in 10 years from now, i hope that Sony updates the CMA so that it doesnt require internet connection. I’m not sure why it requires internet connection in the first place. I mean, seeing that OpenCMA works fine, it doesnt seem to be any heavy online checks going on. Based on this, i guess that it shouldnt be a problem to do an official CMA that doesnt require a internet connection.

But i guess there will be some solution in the future, official or unofficial :)

B

4. No1’s avatar

Sorry, no idea why that “B” came at the end of my previous post.

5. No1’s avatar

I probably hit some button by accident.

15. 007’s avatar

VHBL for 1.80 with latest CMA :) pic.twitter.com/jMHSywWM

16. James Way’s avatar

I’ve frugal with my $$$ so I only buy stuff I need, want or is too cheap to pass off. I was never going to get the Vita, but I got it as a gift and I have some PSone games that I thought back in March I’d be able to use on it. I don’t intend to get a system in hopes that it can do more than what it is sold to do. Which again was why I was livid when psone games weren’t on it yet when I got it. I like what VHBL will bring to the vita, but I got what I wanted, a pretty high tech piece of portable gaming. Great graphics, ps1, psp, psvita games, PS?, and touch screen capabilities. When VHBL comes to it, which I know it will, hey I’ll take advantage of it’s uses. Sony is not all that bad, even though their minds are occluded and they are not getting the blessing in disguise wololo mentions. They offered us a device, to buy it with your own money expecting it to do much more than what Sony promised and being upset that Sony is trying to keep it as locked down as possible is just idiotic. That’s why people like SKFU are asking for donations, he’s not willing to pay for everything in hopes to succeed, or possibly fail. I recently got Sony’s tablet S. I had wanted it for the longest time ever, that or samsung’s galaxy tab, for the IR to control my entire AV system and even ACs and anything else with IR remotes. Only thing keeping me from buying it was the price. Then Woot had it on sale for like 250 with some extr goodies and I said eff it, good buy. I paid for what Sony said the tab did, not expecting more out of it. When they finally root it, I’ll take it as an added perk, but I in no way bought it for what Root would offer, as it is not sold to be rooted. Keep up the good work though guys. I have a background in networking, not programing so I’ll leave the hacking to the real minds around here.

17. cris’s avatar

it is the time of cfw on ps vita ,sony is just killing the retro lovers with each update,oh well let us see where a vita will go mine is on the shelve as i use my tablet,pretty dissapointed to have a powerfull system with nothing more to do with it cause off locks everywhere….

18. Adrian’s avatar

Wouldn’t it be possible to exploit the Vitas browser? Nearly every browser has a vulnerably in any form. This ancient browser can’t be soooo secure.
    From principle I could imagine:
    1. VHBL files can be download and are put into the browsers cache.
    2. Some exploit starts it.

1. gokuhs’s avatar

I think it would not work. Because PSP games run from a virtualized environment. It would not have access to the browser’s cache.

1. No1’s avatar

Yep, i think the Vita browser is running in sandbox mode anyway, so it wouldnt work indeed.

19. NobleVita’s avatar

Im glad it’s not copying over.

1. darkshin0b1’s avatar

Says the hater… Stop hatin’ Sony fan boy.

20. Arnookie’s avatar

Has anyone got youtube and direct video download to work again on the vita? Why is the fact that sony stopped the direct video downloads with the javascript not being discussed or at least a warning that updating to 1.80 blocks it? I think that should be front page news also as it effects many users. :o(

1. StepS’s avatar

it’s not a javascript i think. it’s media files.
      a user from russian forum reports that some filetypes of video can be downloaded, some not

21. eze’s avatar

please someone help mi i have ps vita 1.80 and i cuold hack ps vita

22. K-PAX’s avatar

The solution can be a C-CMA…which acts like the real one…ask the system to update to a new firmware (CFW ofcourse)….

· 1 · 2 · 3