VHBL: Updated list of compatible homebrews with Neur0n’s upcoming release

Here’s a summary of compatible/incompatible homebrews so far with Neur0n’s upcoming port (again, many thanks to our tester).

If you want to read what VHBL can and can’t do, and how you can be one of the first people to get your hands on our release, check the first part of this article here.

Homebrews that work

(note: some links are to the specific versions that I tested, which might not be the latest version for each homebrew. In general, it is recommended to get the latest version, but sometimes VHBL gives us less choice):

• DaedalusX64 (N64 emulator). I tested an early build of DaedalusX64 that was specially crafted for HBL, and it works. It is slow, but it runs. I haven’t tested recent builds. Remember that DaedalusX64, even on CFW, rarely runs at full speed, so I’m on the fence about saying it “works” on VHBL. I tested with Ocarina of Time and it was extremely slow.

DaedalusX64 running Mario 64

• GPSP (GBA Emulator). The version I tested is one of the “unofficial kai” builds. Savestates seem to work fine as far as I can tell. I tested Final Fantasy tactics advanced
  • NesterJ (NES emulator). Per many people’s request, I’ve tested the AoEX version of NesterJ. It worked fine with my test of “bomberman”, although I couldn’t figure out how to show the emulator’s menu once inside a game.
  • Bookr. Tested the 0.8.1 version (basically the latest), the PDF reader for psp works, as usual, very well on VHBL.

• Masterboy (Sega Master System / Game boy Color emulator). The latest version 2.10 works fine, nothing much to say. I tested wonderboy 3 on SMS, and some Dragon Ball Z card game on GBC.
  • Nazi Zombies Portable. This quake mod in which you have to defend a barricade against a horde of Nazi zombies works fine on VHBL. Loading times are quite long, but other than that it works fine.

• Wagic 0.18.6. The least I would expect is for my own homebrew to work on VHBL :D. In all fairness, Wagic went through lots of tweaking when we initially created HBL, and is now made to run in a fairly restricted environment such as the one provided by HBL. Wagic is a heroic-fantasy collectible card game.
  • Cave Story. No surprise, this platform/rpg game has always worked fine on VHBL so far.
  • Doom PSP and Doom Legacy. They both have their pros and cons, so choose the one you like. I need to try Heretic on those, as I was a big fan of that game.

PSP Doom

Quake 1 Arena

Jelly car

Spider solitaire

• MVS (a little bit slower than the CFW version but still pleasant to play)
  • uo_SNES9x 0.02y32(kinda of slow from time to time)

Picodrive

• CPS1 (Perfect but the menu combo is a Start+Select+R which is hard to hit on the Vita :D)
  • gpsp (works with savestates)
  • Lamecraft

Final burn alpha

• PSPFiler (Not quiting properly for some reason )
  • yMenu ( this menu is really nice :D )
  • Kurok

• And more: Kitten Cannon, Ultra, Super Tux, Metal Blob solid,…

Homebrews/Apps that don’t work

• Thing Thing (Most probably would work but for some reason it does not find its files )
  • pspkvm (Not sure what is the right version for VHBL but I tried several with no luck)
  • PSPLBreakout
  • Lua games in general
  • ScummVM. Yup,too bad… I’ve tested both versions 1.0.0 and the latest 1.4.1 of this great point and click adventure game engine. They don’t fail at the same step, but for now the port is not usable in VHBL. The crash is not caught by pslink so I am not sure what’s going on… it could be an error with audio functions, but this is strange since they are all hooked correctly as far as I can tell.
  • Snes9xTYL. Update: now works with a specific crafted version! Read all about it here! This one’s a let down… But uoSnes9x, as mentioned above, works
  • PSP Revolution gives me a crash just after loading. Here again, a wild guess is that some audio function is failing… No Dance Dance revolution on VHBL for now :(
  • S4inexcraft: This popular Lamecraft mod still used the PSP’s OSK, which doesn’t work on the Vita. I didn’t bother testing any further since this is a “no go” for the Vita. If the new keyboard from the latest Lamecraft release gets integrated into S4inexcraft, I’ll give it a try again.

The next release of VHBL is scheduled for “sometime after Vita firmware 1.80 is released”. The exact release date will of course depend on many factors, and in particular, the schedule assumes VHBL actually runs fine on 1.80. I cannot predict if/when VHBL will be definitely patched by Sony. Sony’s 1.80 firmware will be released on August 28th

1. keane’s avatar

Wow! Good job with all months screenshots and compatible home few, that is alot xP

2. keane’s avatar

Also I will add that I love Neur0n :D

3. keane’s avatar

Sorry my auto correct is being mean.. *all the screenshots, *Compatible homebrew, * Thanks alot :P

4. Fabian’s avatar

hey frwololo do u need to be a member of the forum? to get it? how can i join the forum??

bye :) keep going !

5. Fabian’s avatar

hey frwolol when i put the game mario 64 in the n64 emulator, there comes an error..

6. Fabian’s avatar

if i put the file mario64 in the roms menu.
    comes an error

7. nicola’s avatar

there is a homebrew that play all the video files?

8. >_>’s avatar

I don’t get it wololo if u guys have a few kxploits why not release just one u guys have backups, I mean give us hope so we can keep our vita a lot of people are selling their vita because these exploits u guys release do nothing to improve the scene js

1. wololo’s avatar

Coming from the guy who “promised” “something big” by the end of July, I think this comment is quite hilarious, but let me answer: the people who have those kernel exploits are different groups. The one group who gives away their kernel exploit basically publicly “gives up” on their exploit. It’s a tough decision, also not all of these groups are willing to publish their kxploit.

9. shaplayer’s avatar

Hey wololo,
    You wrote on the “HOMEBREWS/APPS THAT DON’T WORK”-List:

PSPLBreakout
    Lua games in general

Does that mean that no LuaHM,PGELua or LuaPlayerPlus Homebrew works on the vhbl ?

1. wololo’s avatar

Yes, correct, it seems none of these work

1. shaplayer’s avatar

Hmmm … anyway, thanks for reply.

10. Abdou’s avatar

Thank youuuuu wololo and your friends that are making sens to the vita day after day :D. without you, no one will buy sony products lool :D. Guys it is so easy to join the forum. Just above you will find “talk forum” you enter and then click on “register”. it is an interresting forum. You will get more news about the vita. Personally, i know that ps1 emulator and psp kernel exploit will be realised :D. So join the FORUM :D.

11. Chocogow’s avatar

Hey can anybody explain to me how to get Geometry Wars Working On Super Collapse 3 cause sopivly it works now

12. Goody’s avatar

Nice. Well done, I’m really eager and excited for the 1.80 release. ^_^

13. Ats’s avatar

Cool! Do Frontier 1337 savefiles works ?

14. OMightyBuggy’s avatar

I hope that this homebrew list gets bigger. :)

15. Asmith906’s avatar

I use NesterP with SC3 VHBL and it works fine with savestaes and rewind.fast forward. Just make sure to put wait for Vsynch to on to prevent screen tearing

1. Norml’s avatar

Exactly what I wanted to know, all emulators should have REWIND!

16. DESTROYER_ONER’s avatar

it would be nice to see if OPENBoR works :)

17. multiboy2k’s avatar

Wololo that shot of Bookr looks amazing! (yeah i know nerd alert!) lol

Thanks for the update.

You DO realise that you are the only reason I am keeping my Vita at this point?

Outside of Vhbl, there just isnt enough incentive to hold on to the device. Sony doesnt seem to care. And, when Monster Hunter is announced for the West on the 3DS, Vita may slip into irrelevance.

1. garrei’s avatar

“You DO realise that you are the only reason I am keeping my Vita at this point?”

^very true, wololo is actually HELPING sony with this blog until they get some decent games released on it. For all we know wololo could be an employee of sony ;) lol wouldnt that be something!

18. multiboy2k’s avatar

So Thank You for keeping the scene ALIVE!

19. ZeRo’s avatar

Yeah! Kurok, I liked Thanks for hear me :D. Heretic was awesome! :)

20. Multiboy2k’s avatar

Hey Wololo,
    Could you please confirm if the homebrew, Rhythm 8, works with this vhbl?
    Thank you.

21. jrcpy’s avatar

that good …. dying of impatience … I hope that when published will have time to be downloaded and can reach as many people as possible

22. Aneudi’s avatar

hey wololo does ultimate psptube works? also, how different is uo_SNES9x from Snes9xTYL. I never used uo_SNES9x so i do not know if it runs games like donkey kong country and earthbound better than xTYL

1. wololo’s avatar

psptube does not work.
      About snes emulators, to be honest, I don’t have the time to test all games out there… give it a try on your PSP if you have one

1. wololo’s avatar

The gba and gbc emulators work fine, so yes.

23. Abdou007’s avatar

hi
    thank u wololo for the news , thats good i feel like there is a storm coming on the vita’s scene specialy after the releasing of debug firmwares
    and i have a question : do you think that the vita system is hard to be hacked than the ps3 system ? i mean wich keys are hard to be found ?

1. Helder seven’s avatar

I think if hackers or e3 get ps3 4.x keys will be possible get vita keys from ps3 and unlock vita

***my theory only***

24. StepS’s avatar

Remember what I said? ;) it depends on the exploitable game. On some exploits the touchscreen OSK works, but you must test it on vita!

25. jdubz’s avatar

This is a little off-topic but I was wondering if anybody knew of the release date of 1.8? Anywhere I read, it slated for the summer and its now closing in on steptember. Anyone?

1. Aneudi’s avatar

August 28 but i do not know if VHBL will be released on the exact same day

1. jdubz’s avatar

Thanks for the reply. yea vhbl will be nice but I am patient. Actually looking forward to being able to play my ps1 games on my vita w/o having to use remote play.

26. Alex’s avatar

how downgrade ps vita 1.69 to 1.67?

27. Bublah’s avatar

I have a question about NZP: is that homebrew dual stick compatible on VHBL?

1. xSpectrum’s avatar

It should, I remember the game having the camera controls on the triangle, O, X, and square buttons.

28. razor’s avatar

Wololo did the new VHBL came out yet by Neur0n?

1. wololo’s avatar

No, still waiting for 1.80, in a few days

29. XHARO’s avatar

cant wait

30. Ryp’s avatar

Hey ! Congrats on the last VHBL, you guys are amazing !
    By the way, Why “NinjaSudoku” is on the Homebrew list ? Lol it’s an very early version that is almost unplayable xD ! If people are curious about a serious sudoku homebrew game, I could finish it however =) !

31. >_>’s avatar

Guess I can’t transfer my brothers psone games from his ps3 because of different account right? Smh

32. Metalliphyll’s avatar

does the StellaPsp “atari 2600″ emu work on this VHBL

33. Dorron’s avatar

Great! Gotta try it!

34. Mr. Awsome’s avatar

I am happy with the exploitable game and the game list here. Im SUPER EXCITED to get back to playing Street Fighter 2 but with better controls and these other emulators and homebrews.

35. Mr. Awsome’s avatar

But you also forgot CPS2 emulator. But I would assume it works like CPS1.

36. NEOGEO2600’s avatar

37. NEOGEO2600’s avatar

prometheus iso loader does not work?

38. Jan’s avatar

39. Wimmy’s avatar

Spectrum emulator??

40. Manuelito’s avatar

I can’t run the MVS and the CPS1 emulators on my vita, always they give me the erron on SystemButtons.prx, can i do something to fix this?

And thanks for the release.

41. jdubs’s avatar

The picodrive sega emulator download is not set up for vita install (at least not the same as other emulators). Is there a link to a pre-set version or is there a different way to install this using eboot file?

42. Austin’s avatar

I have one question i have done everything it says to insrall homebrews and i also installed ymenu but when i go to the save files they are empty and dont do anything. Help would be much obliged. Thanks wololo for all your hard work especially neur0n (>”)>

43. Austin’s avatar

I guess my question is what am i doing wrong lol

44. James Way’s avatar

About daedalus, anyone have issues with too fast a game? Games are running too fast at default settings, with or w/o sound. I disable some stuff, as I see that most people have the opposite issue, too slow a game and as such most settings are set to speed it up, and then it runs too slow. I’ve checked their forums and like I said most have issues with games running too slow.

45. raikov2006’s avatar

On Nazi zombies the game loads fine but there are Jo zombies or barricades is it a file error or is it vhbl ?

46. mecksg1’s avatar

sweet xmass is going to be awsome