PS Vita firmware 1.80 comes out on August 28th, brings PS1 Games support and other cool features

The Gamescom Sony event was surprisingly rich in announcements for the Vita, especially compared to their poor performance at e3. I’ll start with the one that’s probably the most interesting for readers of this blog: Firmware 1.80 will be released on august 28th.

It will not only bring PS1 games support as promised a while ago by Sony, but also a bunch of new features, some of them actually very cool.

Cross-controller: In addition to PS1 games support, Firmware 1.80 for the Vita will bring the Cross-Controller feature, a system allowing you to use your Vita as a PS3 controller for selected games. Although only a few games will be compatible with that, it seems these games (such as LittleBigPlanet 2) will take full advantage of the Vita’s control, including the touchpads (front and rear). That sounds pretty exciting to me.

Controls improvement: It will (finally!) be possible to use the pad to navigate the PS Vita’s menu (instead of having to constantly use the touch screen), as well as some applications such as the mp3 or video player. To me, that was a long awaited feature.

Gameplay screenshot: I could have sworn this was already a feature on the PS Vita, but I must have been confused. Sony announced that it will be possible to take gameplay screenshots on the Vita (they mention that some apps might not be compatible with that feature, though)

Various apps improvements: In addition to the improved controls mentioned above, the music, video, photo, web browser, group messaging, maps, and near applications are all getting a few tweaks that should make the experience more enjoyable.

Sony initially announced this firmware update would be available “in summer”… well, end of august is kind of a stretch in my opinion, but it’s cool to see that this firmware update will actually bring lots of nice features (unlike most of these updates for the vita so far), and that Sony is finally giving some love to the Vita.

Of course, the major feature of this firmware will be PS1 support. And also, for many readers of this blog, this is means the long awaited VHBL release is just around the corner. As soon as 1.80 is out, we’ll confirm if VHBL still runs fine, tweak a few things if needed, then start the release process. This should give people some time to fill on PS1 games on the PSN while we’re getting ready. As soon as I have more info (in particular, compatibility of VHBL with firmware 1.80), I’ll let you know.

Sony announced many more things at gamescom, stay tuned for more stuff :)

source: playstation blog

1. Oscar Betancourt’s avatar

so now i got to wait 10 more days T-T

2. Kevin Cho’s avatar

YES! Thank you Wololo for your hard work.
    I cant wait till the day i finially get to use VHBL!
    Please keep up the good work :)

3. Zonic’s avatar

As happy as I am for the update I can’t help but be upset that I’ll be back in school and unable to use my vita that often :/

4. Andalia’s avatar

Perfect, so I don’t have to panic every day. Thanks Sony. And of course wololo and neur0n

5. Kimomaka’s avatar

The new vHBL will be installed for demo games or we ned to buy games to install the vHBL ? :)

1. Wololosupporter’s avatar

Most likely a game. Beene games only since the first vhbl

6. Lakerfanalways’s avatar

The second the hack is complete I will go out and purchase a Vita..I want the hack to be just as good as the PSP hack which was amazing, its the main reason why I even bought a PSP at the time

1. Wololosupporter’s avatar

Just in case. Most likely the game you need to put VHBL on your vita will be taken off of PSN as soon it’s announced on here. If not within a few hours so it’s better if you have the vita before hand

1. Lakerfanalways’s avatar

yeah but that game would probably end up being posted anyway after the hack is released. As far as this hack goes(Once it does come out) will it be like the PSP hack when it came out or will this one be different? I dont use PSN network so just want to get an idea what this hack will allow us to do

7. CrystalMusic’s avatar

As I thought, SONY will not bring the ps vita down because it’s clearly it has so many great potential as a handheld gaming console and SONY is cooking some unannounced games? hmmm…

8. KitKat’s avatar

Lol screenshots ingame is Home+ Start. You’re not confused wololo. Maybe they are talking about the Cross control games.

9. shennaichuangji’s avatar

thanks

10. James Way’s avatar

O_O so to make sure,once VHBL is installed, no more PSN access? Thus the mention of getting your psone game fill before the release? Either way one can still download the needed game for the install and NEVER delete it, so as to install VHBL later. Right? Or wrong?

1. Wololosupporter’s avatar

PSN will run just fine after you install VHBL The only thing that will most likely happen on the PSN is that they take the game down that you need in order to put VHBL on your vita in the first place

1. necrotek’s avatar

Not really. It’s obvious that after VHBL release, “they” will release new firmware which will fix exploit (won’t it?) and this firmware will be necessary to access PSN. So, yeah, after getting VHBL, you won’t have easy access to PSN without losing exploit.

1. Wololosupporter’s avatar

depends, sometimes they do release a new firmware and it does bar you from accessing the PSN and sometimes it doesn’t. Majority of the time the take the games off and patch the game itself.

1. Green Ranger’s avatar

1. You’re still able to connect to the PSN-Store until Sony drops a FW-Update which would patch the Savegame-Exploit.

2. After the announcement of the game-title which is needed for the VHBL Sony will remove the game from the Store like they did with the other games in the past. They even delete the game from your download-history and if you have the game stored on your PS3, you won’t be able to tranfer it to your Vita.

3. To avoid stuff like “Ohhh i accidentally delete my game and i can’t download it again…” just make a backup of your game to your PC via CMA.So you would be able to use your VHBL even when you’ve deleted the game or format your memorycard.

4. Those backups would just run on the Vita which is connected to your PSN-Acc.

So: As long Sony won’t release a new FW which would patch the VHBL you can connect to the PSN and buy PS1 Games and stuff ;)

11. Wololosupporter’s avatar

Thanks wololo can’t wait for it been wanting to update my vita for a while now

12. >_>’s avatar

Gtfo “fate6″ AKA wololos person secks slave

1. fate6’s avatar

Wow im not even here and I still get new fans <3

13. Xemnas’s avatar

Damn, now I need to update and lose SC3 VHBL.

14. super’s avatar

For those who have VHBL on the other firmwares

DO NOT UPDATE UNTIL YOU GET THE WORD FROM WOLOLO HIMSELF.

You don’t want to update having to find out VHBL didn’t work on 1.8

15. TelcoLou’s avatar

I’m pleasantly surprised about the face button-screen-navigation thing!

16. Watching The World Burn’s avatar

As long as the game for the next vhbl is under $10 bucks I am completely on board :)

17. Sp33’s avatar

Any chance you will release the price of the PSN card needed, $25 or $50 say a day before VHBL release?

1. Sp33’s avatar

Or a few days before would be even better.

2. wololo’s avatar

If you know how ninja releases work you will have that information long before the VHBL release

1. pedro’s avatar

Hello wololo. Can you please explain how does the ninja release work? im waiting for vhbl for so long and i wouldnt wanted to loose it again this time. keep up the great work. best regards

18. StepS’s avatar

wow, really? I’m shocked a bit :D that looks like a dream came true

19. natsu’s avatar

love the improvement of controls… hate using the touch screen every f*cking time.. :D

20. Raziel’s avatar

Can’t wait, Happily waiting for the release Wolo, =)

21. HIMFan’s avatar

There is a screenshot feature. The only place I can never seem to use it is in VHBL. Other than that, it’s just the start and home button at the same time and it takes a screenshot. http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/basic/capture.html

1. wololo’s avatar

I knew I had seen that before, thanks for confirming!

22. Gilgamesh’s avatar

The Cross-controller feature already existed as well (works for Marvel vs. Capcom 3), so I’m not sure why Sony is bringing it up again. Like Remote Play (which is also supposed to work with “select titles” yet there is none to be found yet), I’m sure we won’t see too much support of this feature.

1. LezGrl79’s avatar

Remote play works with ps1 games. and a couple downloaded games I have on my ps3. like bejeweled 2 and high stakes poker work via remote play.

23. unbornchicken’s avatar

So still no support for EAP-PEAP wifi clients? I don’t know you guys but, to me, the fact that Sony only provides support for the same types of wifi authentication than the PSP 7 years ago shows a huge lack of respect to us…

24. Aye Guy’s avatar

Been waiting for this :D

25. picciue’s avatar

Ciao Wololo,,oltre a sintonizzarmi frequentemente su questo sito,come faccio a sapere per tempo quale gioco permetterà vhbl su 1.80,prima che sarà rimosso da PSN.
    Grazie per il vostro impegno.

26. VitaGenic’s avatar

I wonder if the release date for fw 1.80 is worldwide or just in North America? Im in Australia so that could mean a 29th of August for me maybe? What format does Sony usually work around regarding regions and release dates?

I will surely be one happy Aussie when I get VHBL on my vita… I have been waiting since april… Keep up the good work mate :)

27. BattaTrattaKill’s avatar

You can use the ps vita as a controller on the ps3 and pc via FuSa Gamepad on ps vita firmware 1.66 via psp custom firmware running on the vita via kernel access.

1. fate6’s avatar

or I could do that but on 1.69.1 since im cool like that :3

28. nCadeRegal’s avatar

shhhwwweeeetttttt u guys da man kepp it up PEACE!!!!!

29. mike’s avatar

To take a screenshot on your vita on the current firmware, all you have to do is press the start and playstation button at the same time while playing a game.

30. Asdfjuma’s avatar

Yo Wololo people be talking ’bout yo ‘n’ this ‘ere VHBL reelease! With all this attention you’ll have to be extra careful to give things a chance this time?

31. Qwerty’s avatar

You think some hacks like “Tony’s” will be available on 1.8 or is it still too early.

32. Messi10Barcafan’s avatar

kool features . but is there any new emulator? such as “Dolphin emulator” and “Pcsx2″ ? or “N64″ ? =]

33. Bobby Harrell’s avatar

Another Quick question, is the Game needed a download only game from PSN, or will it be a retail game?

34. Goody’s avatar