[PSP] Pro Online might become available for Phat models, and why that could be good news for VHBL users

Famous scene hacker Coldbird, one of the core developers of the Pro CFW, announced a few weeks ago on the prometheus forums that the “online” feature of Pro Online might become available to Phat (PSP 1000) models, after he discovered a new way to get 4MB extra ram available on the PSP.

For those who don’t know yet, Pro Online (Prometheus) is a new version of the Pro Custom Firmware, that allows you to play online with PSP games that were initially only compatible with adhoc. This is similar to systems like XLink kai, but is completely integrated in the Firmware, and requires minimal setup on your Wifi router.

Due to the amount of Ram required by the network modules for this feature to run, the “Online” feature of Pro online is available on PSP models that have 64MB of Ram, that is, all of them except the PSP 1000. By finding an additional 4MB, Coldbird hopes to load some of the required modules in a different location in order to let the PSP 1000 have all of its typical user-mode Ram available for the actual games. 4MB doesn’t sound like a lot in this day and age, but on the PSP 1000 we only have 24MB to play with, so that would be more than a 15% increase… As a matter of comparison, VHBL takes 50kB in Ram. 4MB is 80 times that.

This discovery came a few days after Sony announced they will be closing their online PSP servers for Eye of Judgement, SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 3, and Motorstorm Arctic Edge, which leaves PSP players with only unofficial alternate solutions such as Pro Online.

There are limitations to this extra freed ram (which, for those of you who know a bit the PSP’s internals, is actually the volatile memory  in partition 5), but hopefully the Pro team will make this thing happen.

In addition, this might be good news for VHBL as well, as from my understanding all that is required can happen in user mode assuming the right syscalls are available. What this means is that we could have an additional 4MB available to VHBL exploits sometime soon, which could improve homebrew compatibility or performance here and there.

Believe it or not, we (the HBL developers) thought about using this partition 5 a while ago, but ran into many issues doing so. The main issue with this piece of Ram is that it gets easily corrupted because it is not supposed to be used for the “long” term. Coldbird however told me he has solutions for that. We’ll see if we can apply his ideas to VHBL.

Source: Coldbird on prometheus

1. qwikrazor87’s avatar

Awesome, I hope things work out with this.

1. qwikrazor87’s avatar

Look mom, I had first post.

2. Tikiko’s avatar

:D these are some cool news looking forward to see it

3. Wrozen’s avatar

Wow! 2 pieces of Good news in 1 post! I have a phat psp and a psVita waiting for its vhbl capabilities. :) this is great!

4. Dutt’s avatar

Nice work.

5. auron’s avatar

awesome hope this leads to an awesome CFW soon. im still waiting on that PSP CFW from that unknown guy.

6. ×_×’s avatar

Such a waste of a page smh

1. stonie’s avatar

^ check out this winner X.x he’s about as desirable as a sony rep with moderator status lol

7. dimy93’s avatar

Good work Coldbird – Such struggle for 4MB but I guess its worth it :P
    Btw this got me thinking:
    How much ram has the Vita SandBox of the PSP?-32 or 64

1. dimy93’s avatar

I cannot think of any reason for that so I’m not so sure.

1. rafael707’s avatar

24mb or 32mb i think..

2. Acid_Snake’s avatar

it emulates a hybrid between fat and go. It has 32 mb ram from the fat model and bluetooth from the go model.

1. dimy93’s avatar

Tnx for the info

8. ×_×’s avatar

PSP dead

1. rafael707’s avatar

haha right…

9. mohsin’s avatar

i hope this becomes compatible with my psp 1000 :(

10. rafael707’s avatar

nice to hear!!! reminds me of the release of the high memory mod patch for TN HEN.

keep it up guys!!

11. JoeC’s avatar

I got a PSP 1000 from a friend. And the Wifi never worked.

1. Would there be a way to play online by USB?

2. Is it possible to somehow, by software, see if wifi works but the switch is just broken, or what? Maybe wifi could be turned on with code?

1. w7y7a7t7t’s avatar

i’m sure there is a software way, but you could also just open up the psp and bypass the switch for a second to test, it would be rather simple (i can only assume, as i’ve never done it)

1. JoeC’s avatar

I would prefer not to open up the psp first. Lets see if wololo knows about any software to check the wifi status

12. Goody’s avatar

Nice. Well done, still hoping for more good news^_^. Great job to developers out there trying to help out the little people like us.

13. NoUsernameMan’s avatar

One of the dumbest things I’ve ever done was get rid of my PSP-2000 with CFW on it in order to finance my shiny new Vita. D: With things like this still being released for the PSP, I should’ve kept it and waited on the Vita a few months.

14. Zett’s avatar

*[PSP] Pro Online might become available for Fat models, and why that could be good news for VHBL users

1. CATPowah’s avatar

LOL. That’s so awesome!

15. VampireX’s avatar

Awesome! My PSP-1000 is still kicking till this day. Still play it once in a while. I have alot of homebrew/plugins running and sometimes it runs out of memory and freezes the PSP up. I hope this 4MB of ram, is gonna solve my problem, or help a little. Anyways, I’m excited for Online play as well.. :)

Keep up the good Work in keeping the PSP scene alive!

16. psp fan’s avatar

Now that Coldbird is gone (due to some fool), I guess this is too; thank you for your hard work.

17. quicksand caves map’s avatar

Hello my friend! I want to say that this article is awesome, nice written and include approximately all significant infos.
    I’d like to look more posts like this .

my web blog – quicksand caves map