No guys, PS Vita keys did not just get “released”

Some scene websites are claiming that “Vita keys” have been released as part of a tool called “PS Vita Tools”. This is pure disinformation, and I will explain why, so you can redirect your friends to this article when they ask if the Vita just got hacked.

Enough people have contacted me about this incorrect piece of news now that I need to write about this, so here goes.

PS Vita .pkg files are encrypted. Before the PS Vita was released, that is, before December 2011, the encryption key used for PS Vita packages was actually the same as the one used for PSP pkg files. That was because the whole thing was a beta. The key has been, since then, changed.

The “Vita keys” being released as part of PS Vita Tools are just these old beta keys as well as psp 6.60 keys, things that have been known for ages (check the PS Vita Dev wiki history for confirmation). These keys are pretty much useless for now. As Deroad, the dev of this utility mentioned, his tool needs the vitakeys. He didn’t say he was providing any new keys, but that his tools needs keys (which we don’t have) in order to decrypt anything. He just provided the ones that are currently known, and that are not really useful (not that the tool in itself isn’t useful, I won’t judge that as I haven’t tried it yet, I’m just saying this release isn’t what some people are making it sound like).

Also, decrypting those .pkg files would just be one step of what’s necessary to run unsigned content on the Vita, so don’t get your hopes too high.

I know it is difficult to understand everything about the scene, I’ve made my own share of mistakes, but it was extremely easy in this case to verify that this information has been available for many months now, so the sites advertising this as “breaking news” or a “Vita keys release” just got their facts completely wrong, and are just losing credibility as trusted sources of information for the Sony scene.

I guess some sites got too excited over the PS3 3.60 keys released yesterday, and assumed the same could happen for any other device as well…

That being said, I took a snapshot of Deroad’s release (source code only), and those interested can download it here.

1. auron’s avatar

ok so. its not what we think it is and were back to the same situation we were previously before this.. got it!

2. SuperCoolGuysw’s avatar

Wololo, I am eagerly waiting for VHBL please give me an estimate!

1. wololo’s avatar

It will happen a few days or weeks after 1.80 is released

1. OsirisFael’s avatar

I was wondering what I should do going forward, so I figure I’ll ask. I’m currently running 1.67 and the SC3 flavor of VHBL. Should I update to 1.80 when available and grab the next game, or am I probably safe staying where I am? I guess what Im asking is in the future is there the possibility for a kernel exploit to be ported to SC3, and if so what is the likelyhood? Thanks in advance.

1. wololo’s avatar

I cannot predict what additional security measures will ship with 1.80. As soon as 1.80 is made available, I will of course test neur0n’s VHBL on it, and I am sure people who have kernel exploits will let us know one ay or another if their kernel exploits still work on 1.80. Which I’ll do my best to report as soon as I know.

1. OsirisFael’s avatar

Alright, I’ll keep a watchful eye. Thanks for the answer. Good luck to all of us when 1.80 turns up.

2. ipadboy00’s avatar

When you do release the exploits if they still work, please inform which exploit does what and which one is most recommended based on compatibility.

3. auron’s avatar

do you thing the PSP CFW on vita will be released after 1.8? or do we still have to wait?

2. ndh777’s avatar

I would highly recommend that you stay away from updating if and when a new VHBL is released. If you followed the days following SC3 (my version too), you should remember how many homebrews were not working correctly. This is typical for brand new releases, so it’s best to keep what you have had all along. Plus, some members in the /talk community create revisions to help users of older VHBLs run homebrews that wouldn’t work before. So basically, the older it is, the better it usually is.

As far as updating for a kernel, in the past, it’s always been best to just wait and stay on the oldest firmware that you can have. If you ever do need to update to 1.80 because that’s the only firmware that will work or whatever, you can always just get the 1.80 update package from some site and manually install it on your Vita if that’s what needs to happen. But generally, it’s best to stay with the oldest firmware possible.

1. fate6’s avatar

updating the Vita is not like the PSP or PS3
            you cant just “grab it from some site”

3. Necrotek’s avatar

It’s quite stupid question but is it known the length of PSVita keys? How impossible it is to bruteforce them using something like BOINC? In pure theory.

1. wololo’s avatar

In general those are 128 or 256 bits keys. We’re talking of billions of years to crack this with brute force, assuming every single human on the planet participates.

1. WolfRamiO’s avatar

somebody can do a p2p program that make a super computed network usin a lot of home pcs and servers everywhere, some PCs today got 4 or 8 CPU cores at high speed and a lot of ram, a far dream but its possible… theres a guy that try to crack that kind of encryption and make some progress a years ago.

1. wololo’s avatar

You didnt read my answer. Billions of years is what it would take with a solution like what you describe. Otherwise, we are talking of billions of billions of years.

4. DeadlyData’s avatar

And… Once again the “Media” distorts the truth and give’s everyone false hope just like they would if it were not on the internet ;).

Mostly due to either form of media’s lack of understanding of the actual concept at hand no matter the topic.

5. Zonic’s avatar

And that kids is why ya don’t get your hopes up too high

6. tonyuk73’s avatar

Thanks for putting us back on the straight. .for this is such a bendy road.

1. A Fabledhero’s avatar

Doesn’t matter keys will be released soon enough i predict this month on the 27th

1. fate6’s avatar

sure it is and im going to release a PS2 emulator for the Vita >__>

7. SSJ-Vita’s avatar

The main thing I’m wanting out of my vita, is weather in-motion. Adobe can’t be the only “whatever” available can it? Is there a possible way around adobe on the psp side via the vhbl? Thanx and good luck devs, eagerly await 1.80 since my ps1,2 and 3 all kicked the bucket before I could finish abes odyssey.

8. IV Wololo’s avatar

Bummer, I almost thought it was real too

9. thecodebreaker’s avatar

Thank you for the clarification!
    And now to delete a few sites from my favorites bar. Haha

10. ThePr0nGuy’s avatar

11. Praxis’s avatar

Quick off topic question:

Treyarch released images of black ops zombies heading to android exclusively to Sony Xperia devices. Excuse my ignorance, but Xperia uses play station mobile suite right? Does this mean we can easily play this on our vitas with the beta we currently have?
    Thank you and have a great day.

12. gardm’s avatar

Poop meow

13. Lakerfanalways’s avatar

The minute the PSP Vita is fulled hacked I will purchase one. Not sure when the newest firmware is supposed to come out but hopefully it will be soon. A fully hacked PSP is why I purchased that to begin with, so will do the same with the Vita

14. Zabzeeb’s avatar

Just be patient young padawans everything well all come together sooner or later

1. Lakerfanalways’s avatar

Well when it does I will purchase a Vita..it will be worth it than. Hopefully once the new firmware comes out(Im hearing maybe Mid August?) than things will start moving fast. If it can be hacked like the PSP I will order a Vita right away

15. ×_×’s avatar

Wololo is arrogant he barely knows anything about hacking, like the other guy said the “media” distorting the truth , I’m sure there are hackers out there who now how to crack aes,

Wait didn’t Sony have a securitt breach before? And isn’t there security type AES? Duuuuurrrrrrr

1. YoureAFaggot,Fagg’s avatar

Sthu boy. Contribute to the scene instead of bragging like a sissy If you can code faggot,
      try and code youre balls and make em playable, you would like that to? huh

1. x_x’s avatar

What are u five >_>

1. NoUsernameMan’s avatar

you both sound like little kids, he’s calling you names, and you’re calling any person who knows how to code a liar and scammer. -___-

16. Lodad’s avatar

I’m sure posting an article with headlines like those sites did would bring in more views and more f5s from people waiting on updates

17. Anon’s avatar

Why not make every Vita application require online activation? Make a purchase get sent a key to your a special account online…sorted.

Would that not work? Too costly?

If I said something stupid then forgive me.

The system isn’t even on its feet yet and people are trying to destroy it. Sickening.

Hacking can be ethical. These hackers are likely able to play these pirated games/run all this software on hardware they already own so why the fuck would they want to bury the Vita? And SO SOON as well?! At least have the decency to wait.

1. wololo’s avatar

What are you commenting about exactly? I don’t think this is really related to this article. There is nothing in there related to piracy, or to “destroying” the vita.
      The “online activation” thing is already used with success for many online games, such as Diablo, etc… IMO it is a pretty efficient way to protect games without restricting how users use their device. It does require to be connected regularly (if not always), which can be a restriction though…

18. arikzil’s avatar

wololo please give an estimate when will i be able to put ios games(like uncharted) on my ps vita

1. Helder seven’s avatar

Shipping time depends on the store where you buy :D

19. Helder seven’s avatar

Maybe e3 team will release 4.X keys in 1-2 months for ps3

My theory is, ps3 have the psvita keys, maybe with a hacked 4.X ps3 we can get the new vita keys…

20. Fabian’s avatar

hey FrWololo
    in my psn store i can still download Every body tennis.
    the psp one.

but if i buy it can i play still homebrew/emulators on it?

1. wololo’s avatar

No, it has been patched.

21. john smith’s avatar

Jesus ppl r crazy. Asking about ios on a vita and bitchin at the dude who runs the site and arguing about pirating blah. I had a theory ud be able to do something on the dex 4.2 fw for ps3 and transfer games to vita or some shit.I’m no coder.I’m just a minecraft addict. And boobs.I like boobs too. You like boob wololo?
    K nye nye