Vita: Flash dump of the psp emulator by wth

Wth(a.k.a. Yosh), who is known for his port of VHBL to the Everybody’s Tennis exploit earlier this year, and also for his nice yMenu for VHBL, just released a dump of the psp emulator’s flash on the Playstation Vita.

The released files contain a dump of the psp emu on Vita firmwares 1.61, 1.67, and 1.69. Wth got help from PSP scene veterans Virtuous Flame and Zer01ne in order to get a dump from each specific firmware.

The last time such a Flash dump was released, it had been done by an anonymous developer, who later became famous by running PS1 games on the vita through the psp emulator. Wth also credits him for this release.

This release doesn’t mean much immediately from the end users’s point of view. It won’t magically hack your vita. But it means wth is in possession of a Kernel exploit inside the psp emulator, joining the expanding circle of people who have a full access to the psp emu inside the Vita. Somehow, this put us closer to a PSP CFW on the Vita. Also, for hackers and developers, this gives a more up-to-date dump of the flash to work with.

PSP Cipher

The release also includes an updated version of PSP Cipher. PSP Cipher is an alternative to PRXDecrypter, which supports potentially more files than PRX Decrypter. This tool is used, as the name implies, to decrypt PSP files, such as eboots, or files in the flash. wth’s release includes some Vita specific keys. Quoting the readme:

PSPCipher by liquidzigong@a9vg.com(aka hrimfaxi)

It can decrypt PRX type 5 (0x2e5e12f0) when prxdecrypter 2.4 etc failed to handle. It’s a completely reimplemention version as mesg_led_02g.prx and memlmd_02g.prx from FW 6.20. So if you are clever to find DRM decryption key you can decrypt DRMed module with it.

The sample decrypts host0:/enc/EBOOT.BIN and save to host0:/dec/EBOOT.BIN. kbridge dir contains decryption implemention. Please see pspcipher.h to use the code.

The source is covered by GPLv3 to fight aginst Sony NPDRM.

Download

The legality of the released files is questionable, so I am not putting any direct link here, and it is possible our mods will start deleting all direct links to this release sometime soon (still waiting for a decision as I type this). But I’m sure anybody with a bit of google skills will be able to find the files.

Source: wth on /talk

1. memku’s avatar

thnks wololo for that already on my pc ill wait for the .80 vhbl

2. Xemnas’s avatar

Why is it illegal to release this?

1. wololo’s avatar

I am not entirely sure, but I assume some portions of the files are copyrighted

1. naki’s avatar

well, we can’t post links to rco files from the flash, so surely this equals that right? I mean, rcos being not allowed is a bit OTT, but its up to the mods I guess.(wololo, you’re the admin!! you should know :))

1. ndh777’s avatar

Wololo is just trying to play it as safe as possible. He’s not a lawyer so he doesn’t know all of the laws or how to combat the laws. So he does as little as possible to just be on the safe side. It could be illegal, so posting links to another website that hosts the files is less risky. Many torrent sites have begun doing that to escape legal issues, so smart on Wololo’s part.

2. Kid’s avatar

Possibly for the same reason sharing PS2 bios is illegal.

3. bsanehi’s avatar

Would *somehow* swapping PSvita’s “ifhandle.prx” with PSP 6.60 “ifhandle.prx” bring back the kxploit used in 6.60 OFW PSP?

1. fate6’s avatar

you would need a kxploit to do that to begin with

1. Zer01ne’s avatar

You can’t replace anything ;)

4. SSJ-Vita’s avatar

Feels like I’m playin an online game, could seek out an elite or super item but it’s lvl 110 and I’m lvl 7 lol. Basically I mean, wololo, should the files be something important enough to at least hold onto.. skilled or not?

5. nune’s avatar

so what could we do with this ?

6. nune’s avatar

so what could we do with this

7. OMightyBuggy’s avatar

I was lookin forward to one of these flashes showing up somewhere again, thx. :)

8. SSJ-Vita’s avatar

Eh I snagged it in case anyone ever needs. -and so then the horse said ‘YOUR IN A BAR’ hahahahaha-

9. Wrozen’s avatar

When I download Psp Cipher, there isn’t anything but source code?

1. wololo’s avatar

the eboot is inside the src folder

10. maverickwolf’s avatar

Will this dump help with creating more compatible and stable releases of VHBL?

11. natsu’s avatar

thank god it’s getting interesting again.. ^__^

12. dimy93’s avatar

Any plans on releasing(the kexploit I mean)?

13. darkAvenger’s avatar

For those of you who didn’t get the download links:

1. cscash241’s avatar

Thanks for the mirror

14. nune’s avatar

so what can we do with this ?

1. thecobra’s avatar

normal users can’t use this for anything but developers can use this to find other kxploit for example. other can use it to understand the system better. etc….

2. svenn’s avatar

Well after reading the post I believe it will magically hack any psp/pspvita.

15. ×_×’s avatar

I say quit the bullsht give us the kernel exploit or we will abandon the vita and this site for the Droid x360, thumbs up if u agree

1. thecobra’s avatar

I don’t want to sound rude but if you can’t/want to wait patiently for a release of kxploit then you can always search for one using this files. that what I did and I learn allot in the process. there will be a kxploit release some day this year but evenyone seems to agreed that right now isn’t the time. I may be one of the ones who will release it but right now we have to wait… I am also looking forward with sharing it with everyone.

1. clasik’s avatar

Hey cobra, are u hinting that the super collapse 3 exploit might have access to psp kernel?

2. dboyz’s avatar

dude,go getlife.ru =.=
      just do wat u wan, noone cares

3. rabidchild’s avatar

You’ll be missed.

16. FourZeroTwo’s avatar

wololo do you think there will ever be a ps vita cfw? or will we always be stuck on psp emulator hacks.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

well get cfw eventually, most likely not any time soon and it all depends on Sonys dedication to keep it off the vita

17. Norml’s avatar

Cool beans, always enjoy the updated Vita news(or PSP on Vita). Can’t wait to replay them without forking out another outrageous charge just to do so, I feel I’m being punished for NOT pirating on the PSP.

18. ThAt_GuY’s avatar

Like how your helping the people who know nothing about VHBL by putting, ” It won’t magically hack your system.”

1. yosh’s avatar

It means
      “If you want a hack already just learn some basic mips asm” lol
      or wait until we release smthg (nothing before 1.80 as it’d be dumb else)

19. steve’s avatar

it may sound a very stupid question XD but: basically, what’s the difference between a kernel exploit in the PSP emulator and a psvita kernel exploit?

1. wololo’s avatar

A Kernel exploit in the PSP emulator gives you full access to what the psp emulator can do, but that’s it. It does not give you access to the Vita. In particular, it does not give you access to the full vita power, or to the vita touchscreen, etc…
      It also has the limitations of the PSP emulator: 333MHz CPU, 32MB ram, etc…

20. Micheal’s avatar

Where’s the best section of your forum is the best place to find stuff like this? I don’t want to be searching all over the Internet. I think your site is filled with knowledge.

21. z2442’s avatar

I am attempting to lean basic mips asm im grasping most of it and i would like to learn more about how the kernel exploits work is there any well documented old ones or good places you would suggest i look to learn more ?

1. wololo’s avatar

About kernel exploits, this is a starting point: http://wololo.net/2012/07/09/kxploit-660-revisit/ . It won’t give you all the details, but that’s a place to start.

22. z2442’s avatar

thank you wololo. It was very helpful

23. WolfRamiO’s avatar

Vita CFW… mmmm… correct me if i´m wrong but PS3 got one like 5/6 years after initial release?

24. Developer’s avatar

3years to be correct, I asume you live somewhere in the US, so that’s a 2007, only Japan had a release of end December 2006.

1. qwikrazor87’s avatar

3 years 3 months and 3 days.

25. qwikrazor87’s avatar

Hey I just tried PSP Cipher and all the prx files I threw at it were unknown to it, even the ones that PrxDecrypter could decrypt.

26. Developer’s avatar

You mean that your computer doesnt reconize the prx files?

1. qwikrazor87’s avatar

No, PSP Cipher doesn’t recognize them. It says “Unknown tag(0xblahblah)”.