Droid X360 – The best Vita knockoff ever?

China is well known for not caring too much about copyright infringement or patent infringement when it comes to electronic devices. The Droid X360 is no exception, and is probably aiming for a record here, with a name strangely sounding like some famous Microsoft product, a design “inspired” by the Playstation Vita, and a bunch of preloaded Nintendo and Sega emulators.

And just to attract more customers, the console is also nicknamed the “A10 PSP”, where “PSP” stands for “Play Station” (not to be confused with “Playstation”… or wait, actually the goal is to confuse them). But long gone are the days of cheap Chinese knockoffs such as the polystation, the Droid X360 actually sounds like it could be an interesting piece of hardware for a reasonable price:

Available from retail at about 110$ (or closer to 80$ if you live in mainland China), this Android tablet ships with Android 4.0 (how many of you are still stuck on 2.3, despite owning “famous” manufacturers hardware?), and has fairly interesting hardware: a 5” multitouch screen, 1.5GHz CPU, Wifi, HDMI output, front and rear camera, 512MB of Ram, an actual gamepad …(check the full specs below)

For less than half the price of the Vita, this is actually not that bad, and makes me wonder why such companies don’t simply go with their own designs / name / etc… since they have a reasonable piece of hardware to sell. Is their plan to get free advertising from websites calling them off as ripoffs? I guess there is no such thing as bad advertising…

You know what, I’m almost temped to get myself one…

Note, this is not the Yinlips that was mentioned here before, it’s a new device.

Specifications

• 5″ Capacitive screen and mult touching, 800*480 resolution;
  • CPU: Allwinner A10 1.5GHz;
  • GPU: Mali 400 3D;
  • RAM: 512MB;
  • ROM: 4GB, option: 8GB;
  • External storage: micro SD, 2GB~32GB;
  • Operating system: Android 4.0.4;
  • WIFI: 802.11b/g/n, support WAPI and WIFI Direct;
  • 3G: support external USB 3G dongle;
  • Camera: Front 0.3 Mega Pixel, Back 2.0 Mega Pixel, support video chating;
  • G-sensor: support;
  • Adobe Flash: Flash 11.1;
  • OTG: for Keyboard, mouse, USB flash device, etc.
  • Speaker: 2*1W;
  • HDMI: support HDMI output and playing same time;
  • Video format: support AVI(H.264, DIVX, DIVX, XVID, rm, rmvb,  MKV(H.264, DIVX, DIVX, XVID), WMV, MOV, MP4(H.264, MPEG, DIVX, XVID), MPEG, MPG, FLV(H.263,H.264);
  • Audio format: support MP3,WMA,MP2,OGG,AAC,M4A,MA4,FLAC,APE,3GP,WAV;
  • Pictures: JPG, JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG;
  • E-Book: TXT, EPUB, PDF;
  • Office: WORD,EXCEL, POWERPOINTS;
  • Browser: Google;
  • Flash: adobe flash 11.1;
  • Android Market: support;
  • Game: Built in arcade game, Nintendo 3D game, Sony PS1, Nintendo GBA, Nintendo GPC, FC, SFC, Sega MD, Sega GAMEGEAR, WIFI dierect, Android touch control games, Android G-Sensor Games Emulator;
  • Language: mult;
  • Port: 1*power input, 1*OTG, 1*headphone jack, 1*HDMI, 1*Microphone, 1*Micro SD card;
  • Battery: 2800mAH, about 4hours for play game;
  • DC input: 100~240V;
  • DC output: 5V, 2A;
  • Accessories: 1*charger, 1*OTG cable, 1*user manual,
  • Dimension: 186*75*15.5 mm.

So, what do you guys think? Could Chinese knockoffs be an interesting gaming alternative nowadays?

Those of you interested to buy it from outside of China can get it from aliExpress. Note that I am not affiliated to that website and never tested their service.

Thanks to Raziel for the tip!

1. Raziel’s avatar

Should have ordered from WillGoo, they are more legit then most websites from China.

2. Thanosserres’s avatar

i dont like it it is like you have a ps3 console box with xbox name and wii games i like to have a ps3 for the games not a console that have a copy from 3 other consols this is my opinion

3. unbornchiken’s avatar

Did you guys watch this? Not very nice news for those that already purchased the console.

1. solidsnake’s avatar

I just watched the utube review. I expected a whole lot worse. The only REAL issue was the controls. All of the handhelds i have owned have the same problem. The wiz for example cant play any game that has circle motions for a haduken fireball. You must sacrifice something. No cheap console is ever perfect. The review also did not mention anything major wrong with the specs or any app running slowly. Just bad controls. Maybe the one he recieved was just not so good. Or maybe the controls need to be broken in just like a new mouse. The price is too cheap for perfection.

1. wololo’s avatar

There are ongoing discussions here to try and improve the controls with a better driver.

2. new’s avatar

OMG I’m so sad:( what a waste.. Couldn’t they just copy the PS Vita D-PAD and Digital nubs? and the waiting game for my perfect SNES Emulator continues.. maybe on Droid X720!

4. Raziel’s avatar

If anyone wants a Emulator System I highly suggest anything from JXD to Yinlips from Willgoo, the Droid X360 looked like it was going to be a improvement over the rest but ultimately fails. If you really want one with duel analog sticks I highly suggest just waiting till the Vita gets home-brewed or wait until Yinlips releases a new version since I assume later down the year they will make one.

5. solidsnake’s avatar

I just did some searching and found a video that decribes how to hook up a gamepad to any android 3.2 and above device. Go to google play and get the :usb/bt: joystick app. Then all you need to do is plug your usb gamepad into the droid x360 usb otg cable. The rest should be self explanitory. I found this info fast and easily on google. This has not been tested yet for i havent recieved the droid x360 yet. But i like the idea of not being stuck with having to use the default controls.
    i

1. The End’s avatar

Why would you want to hook up a gamepad to this ,that would defeat the whole purpose of the machine derp

1. solidsnake’s avatar

Thanks for your reply. You have a good question. The quick answer is that it is a personal preference and I will not be using the Droid X360 on the go, just in my house.
        I tend to buy cheap devices with flaws in them and then weigh the pros and cons with the price.

PRO: Its $115, it supports android and google play, it runs emulators that psp has a hard time with like N64 and Mame. It has a usb otg cable, the 32gb microSD cards are $15, it runs adobe flash. It is everything I ever wanted out of the vita.

CON: The controls are the worst they could possibly be.

So I dont mind having to use a controller. Its a lot better than staring at your vita waiting for something to happen.

6. Raziel’s avatar

Don’t see why people keep asking him, as Wololo has said countless times he is waiting until 1.80 I don’t see the point in him releasing any info at this point unless for some miracle someone finds a extremely useful exploit. Now for the love of god stop asking him.

7. zorak_torok’s avatar

i pride myself in my resourcefulness on the net, but due to the obvious search confusion i cant find the 360s 3g adapter. specs indicates one is available, and i hope you have searched your quadrants. Second, vhbl app for 3g wifi hotspot avl? if network is not dropped in psp emu mode , possible for net homebrew?

8. Zorak_torok’s avatar

Heh, post after myself 9 days later… I don’t see much reason to convey my thoughts of the droid at this time except that I stated I would earlier. My x360 didn’t come till saturday — I wasn’t home to sign –… didn’t actually get it till yesterday morning and I havn’t had much time to mess with it, initial thoughts are exactly as stated by wololo and qbertaddict1 except that the touch functions worked less like they should than they gave it credit for… still havn’t updated with the superscript, but as soon as I get time I will. My right “analog” stick seems to catch and not work correctly, but luckly the left is fully functional. After all the preloaded crap is taked off I’ll give a better review.. core functions and loads everything wonderfully fast, now if these control issues just lighten up I would recomend it to anyone… 1 note, fighting games with any diagonal inputs for specials will not be happy no matter what software tweaks may come … the thumbstick may get WORE in, but the dpad just won’t physically allow you to press diagonal directions in any kind os fluid motion… finger hits the plastic and not the two points of pressure needed to make the diagonal press.

1. wololo’s avatar

Thanks. It’s good to get feedback from various people to see if I got a bad unit or if the bad controls are a global thing

9. Zorak_Torok’s avatar

I’m working right now and i only tried to get it into service mode a couple times… my ru button kept hanging up so i had no success adding super script. Ill attempt it again tomorrow. I have noticed that the “analog” sticks are working better now… also the touch functions seem to be effected by background processes so i think that will free up with the script… angry birds would release my touch on its own, fruit ninja sometimes wouldnt regster touch, etc. if i load one of these games initially , they work fine, but within 10 minutes they get bogged down. Intresting thing though, when resetting to default The commercial roms are still present. Sd card is located at /mnt/extsd so most apps like ttorrent try to download to /mnt/sdcard which is actually internal memory by default.

10. zorak_torok’s avatar

Okay… So, i didnt get but 3 hours sleep; however, im running superscript.2 now. As bad as the button presses were, i can now say that i can spin earthworm jims head around with ease or get slap happy with ehonda. that should contest the validity of the patch. My biggest issue upon receiving the droid was the bad touch controls (i already knew the physical ones were crap). Now i can say they work as well as a lower end htc. Its no vita, but i have no issues with it as it is. Dpad still sucks, but i got lucky because the left analog works completly fine for me now. All emus run as they should although im going to try another snes emu… dkc2 does NOT work. I can say that body harvest works on n64 which i havnt seen run well even on pc. I do have one huge concern with the file structure though. gameloft games install to /sdcard which is internal… that means that when i BOUGHT supernova 3 i couldnt choose to install it to my 32 gb micro sd. I guess the developers are forcing piracy :-> With the super script ALL roms and .apk files are erased so if you want your pirated copy of pvz, asphalt or whatever, back em up. I also had trouble getting a generic drive to use livesuit. Windows randomly listed diffrent devices it seemed. Finally ld_something_something worked and i got my mandatory format message. All things aside, i would recommend it for $124 after tweaks… just hoping someone points me in the right direction for the default dir’s alteration.

11. zorak_torok’s avatar

guess i said something wrong…

12. zorak_torok’s avatar

heh, im always on my vita at work… i have noticed (now anyway) that refresh sometimes loads a cache. my message disappeared and wouldnt show up untill i actually hit the comments link. Cant really explain it that well… just dosnt make sense, but now i know.

13. Zorak_Torok’s avatar

Looks like deen0X is trying to get us a d-pad fix… some luck, but still hard at it

14. Fantasy Tennis’s avatar

First I thoiught X-Box (Microsoft copyed cuz it says x360)

· 1 · 2