[PS3] 3.6+ “backups” possible on DEX hack: the cat is out of the bag

Well, that was fast. Less than a week after I was claiming the new CEX to DEX PS3 hack was not (yet) leading to piracy of new PS3 titles, techniques are already available to play “backups” of new PS3 games on your newly “converted” Debug console.

Here’s a quick summary: last week a hack was revealed that explained how to convert your PS3 into a Debug unit, and install a Debug firmware. This is interesting because a debug firmware can run both homebrews AND recent blu rays, which a 3.55 CFW can not achieve.

After I claimed this would not lead to piracy because Debug firmwares can only run legit blu rays, several people (including naehrwert) contacted me to let me know the security on that side wasn’t that great, and that methods to play “backups” (or pirated games) would become public faster than I can type.

This was true. Several scene websites have already published tutorials on how to play 3.6+ backups on the PS3. I won’t describe the process for now because 1) I’m lazy 2) I can’t test it myself yet 3) you can find it on all other scene websites 4) the technique is not user friendly yet and 5) it requires some Sony copyrighted software that is easy to find but illegal to distribute.

On the user friendly part, remember that the first step is to convert your console into a debug unit, which means having a 3.55 CFW installed (if you don’t, you have the extra step of downgrading your console with a hardware flasher), run a bunch of tools, and flash some stuff on your console (major risk of brick). The second step involves formatting your console’s hard drive with some tool which is illegal to distribute in order to create a “fake” Blu ray partition, and then finally to “repack” the PS3 game packages (ripped from the original blu-ray, of course…) into their DEX version.

Most of the process is done with tools that are part of a leaked SDK from Sony, which as I mentioned, is illegal to redistribute. No doubt however that “DEX ready” torrents will start to appear soon on the dark side of the intertubes, leaving users with the relatively difficult steps of converting their consoles from CEX to DEX, and of getting a hard drive formatted to handle backups.

I am convinced that some more user friendly tools will show up in the days to come… the question being, is it worth the hassle just for piracy? Well, at least, this probably means the end of those stupid DRM dongles.

What do you guys think? How far do you think people are ready to go to play “backups”? Are the piracy dongles still relevant when the techniques to pirate games are that complex?

1. fresno’s avatar

That was fast, thank you for the news Wololo.

2. scott’s avatar

So, where can i find this hack? does it work on Kmeaw 3.55 ?

1. fate6’s avatar

first re-read the post then ask again >__>
      (in other words no its for Debug PS3′s)

1. Green Ranger’s avatar

sorry fate :3 thihi

First, you’re PS3 have to be on a 3.55 CFW to covert your CEX to a DEX Console ;)

Second, @Scott, if you have to ask such a question you should stay away from such a method because there’s a chance that you brick your PS3.

*brick = you transform your working PS3 into a expensive paper weight.

*CEX-Console = a normal retail PS3 such yours.

*DEX-Console = A Devkit PS3 for Developer.

3. Mud’s avatar

I have 3.55 CFW, and there is a few new games I would love to play but cant because they require firmware updates so I might try this.

4. ZeRo’s avatar

It’s good “the end of those stupid DRM dongles” nice words, and the way to convert in dex console isn’t simple, but not difficult.

5. nhvfdij’s avatar

I think some sites make too much drama concerning dongles. Who wants to buy will buy, who doesn’t won’t. It’s simple as that.
    Now, about this release, is piracy really only that can be achieved? Because, I mean, it’s a Debug Unit, after all! It had to be useful in a way or another, at least for developers to dig more inside the PS3.

6. rafael707’s avatar

Someone is lookin at a lawsuit real soon…

7. Lion_Amongst_Men’s avatar

Wololo you know very few followers will understand this post and most of them will attempt to pirate their games.. hmmm i always say if you dont know how it works don’t do it.

1. Green Ranger’s avatar

I would say it’s a way to keep the possibility to play Homebrews on our PS3 and could play 3.60+ Games.

That Piracy comes out of those possibilitys is normal and not everyone join the pirate train. And for “normal People” who just want to play their backup’s it’s not easy to convert their consoles to a DEX-PS3…and there’s still the chance to tranform your PS3 into a expensive paper weight when you haven’t a dump of your NAND/NOR (the new tool to convert from CEX to DEX seems to avoid those bricks)…but we will see ^^

1. Lion_Amongst_Men’s avatar

Well we will see otherwise there will be alot offancy paperweights going around haha

8. Buu-San’s avatar

I guess this is good news for some folks. I hope this leads to something more than just piracy though.

9. DESTROYER_ONER’s avatar

what about the backwards compatible ps3? will it be possible to backup ps2 games?

1. Green Ranger’s avatar

No, because of missing hardware all PS3 exept from the first FAT PS3 weren’t able to play PS2 Games. Even if some Dev’s try to create a PS2 Emu for the PS2 just a few Games would run and just on 10 FPS.

1. rodakk’s avatar

What about Cobra dongle?

1. Green Ranger’s avatar

Oh Okay :3 my fault ^^

With Cobra-Dongle you could play PS2 Games on PS3 :) sorry for my mistake.

And yeah! It’s not an hardware problem. It’s probably because they used selfs from a firmware < 2.70 FW.

1. Green Ranger’s avatar

and a Quote from “defyboy” from ps3Hax:

“Originally the only models compatible were the original launch models which had both the Emotion Engine (CPU) and Graphics Synthesizer (GPU) from the PS2 hardware and had very good compatibility. The CPU was removed in later models and compatibility was still good, but not great.

The PS2 hardware was then further removed all-together from later models (including the slims), I am not sure where the full software emulation came about but no PS3 officially supported it, the compatibility is very poor, it appears they reached a stalling point with the GPU emulator which may have hit the upper bounds of the PS3′s capabilities and thus was not implemented as a feature on these consoles.”

10. Norml’s avatar

6) You do not condone piracy…remember?

1. doctorwho05’s avatar

It’s not piracy it’s product testing. HEHEHEHEH

11. gamerb0y’s avatar

wow nice!!! hoping for a new cfw will come out

12. sam’s avatar

Hi I’m a big fan of your work wololo I bought a vita for homebrews now vita games I don’t really play them I have only bought gravity rush and fifa thats about it I use to do a lot of testing on the psp for homebrews so when you do release the new exploit i will be getting it I can test hombrews on it and give you full feed back on what works and what does not let me know what you think and by the way have you ever considerd game reviews? for the vita would be great to hear your thoughts on games :D

13. HHH’s avatar

hopping for 3.66 cfw will come out..

14. Guardian’s avatar

“How far do you think people are ready to go to play “backups”? Are the piracy dongles still relevant when the techniques to pirate games are that complex?”

The answer for this questions and more tomorrow in the same WO-channel at the same Wo-time. Remember the worst is yet to come!

-credit scene-

Haa..tomorrow comes today.

15. Moedogg30’s avatar

Game Genie Save Editor for PS3 is out I got mines

16. akenateb’s avatar

** R.I.P TB **

1. doctorwho05’s avatar

finally!!! take that you money grubbing TB dev’s. Give them 2 big middle fingers. And i own True Blue. Taking other Dev’s hard work and rolling it into a money scam. Way to go TB

17. CATPowah’s avatar

I have nothing to say about this anymore.

18. mentatkgs’s avatar

The PS3 is dead anyway. There are no good exclusives near sight. The best games are best on the PC.

19. gunblade’s avatar

on da ps2 emulater would it be possible to connect a ps2 to a ps3 hardware wise jus was wandering thought of a project i guess..

20. gunblade’s avatar

yea pc game a great to do better hardware but the ps3 did come out long wen the pentium 4 had ht n dea was basic ddr but now days u got ddr 3 running intel core 7 wit good graphic cards but yea time for som next gen consles

21. 2die4’s avatar

It’s become noob proof to go to dex from cex you just need to install to pkgs flatz eid0 key dumper and the latest version of multiman

22. fifa 13 hack’s avatar

I feel this is one of the so much vital information for me.
    And i’m satisfied reading your article. However wanna statement on some basic issues, The web site taste is great, the articles is actually nice : D. Just right job, cheers