Japan strengthen their law against illegal downloads, nobody seems to care

You may also like...

1. freddy_156 says:

Activism may work with more “democratic” countries imho, lack of democracy in some eastern countries is not a very big news.

2. natsu says:

damn…. internet is all about freedom… shame on those who deprive users of their freedom to download stuffs in the internet… damn….

im a big fan of ANIME and this law might delay all the releases… :(

• KirkD says:

I hear that, Natsu! Most of the anime I watch has been fansubbed and uploaded to various sites. Many times an anime I watched will make its way over here (US). If I really enjoyed, I will pick it up. Often, however, there are shows which do not make their way over here, so I depend on these various releases. I’m sure it won’t cause too much trouble in the end, but it’s still a little concerning.

• Rey says:

Me too, that worry’s me a little. but, I doubt it will make any impact at all, no one can stop piracy. By any chance is your username from Fairy Tail? xD

• wololo says:

I wouldn’t worry too much about that. As I mentioned, uploading has been illegal and massively sanctioned for a while now, and it hasn’t stopped fansubbers from sending you your anime so far. This new law is not going to change that. It only impacts people who live in Japan and download content.

Plus, the way fansub works, everything goes through IRC and private ftps before it goes to more public channels. As far as I know, the police are wasting their time on bittorrent and Winny/Share and not monitoring irc very closely. This is true for most countries, I think. All governments are focused on http streaming and bittorrent, ignoring other means of file transfers.

3. francesco says:

One thing i really don’t understand it’s why watching tv series online is illegal, i can understand that downloading a game it’s a crime because normally i have to pay to use it.

But do i really damage society if i watch online a tv programm, why? isn’t there advertising online?
    If every TV network let me watch their telefilm online i would be pleased to click on their banner..
    The matter is that i like to watch Tv series online, and if i have to wait for them to arrive in my country and legally watching them when my national tv buy the rights to broadcast them (if they buy them) i’m simple not going to watch it..
    You quoted Game of Thrones, you’re right, without the streaming online, it would have not been a world class tv series!!

4. KnuxTheTurtle says:

Yeah I heard the US was doing some BS like this soon as well. Here it is: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/15/american-isps-to-launch-massive-copyright-spying-scheme-on-jul
    y-12/

5. StepS says:

Switzerland was the most clever in all these problems afaik… They simply made downloading everything legal for personal use, while uploading the copyrighted content is still illegal. And i think it’s a wise decision since pirates would still find ways around restrictions

6. JackleJoe says:

Personal question for Wololo: Do you live in Japan?

7. cscash241 says:

Meanwhile in White America…

8. svenn says:

Money talks everywhere, even in Asia. I think you couldn’t be right more “people wanne pay for content, just not as much as current company’s want”

But then again, nothing beats free does it ?

9. Kid says:

There would have had to have been some professional consolation in the making of this. Politicians don’t just herp around creating news laws and taxes.

10. alisson says:

Downloads is the joy of all the poor, here in Brazil.

11. James Way says:

It’s all corporate greed. I have no issue watching a tv show that airs on regular tv, ie not hbo or cinemax, online after it just aired on tv and have to sit through ads. Services like Hulu did this all the time and I loved it. I used it because it was convenient to watch the shows I liked when I could watch them. They made their money through the ads, some of which actually required me to answer questions, and I got to enjoy my shows. Then they went all Hulu plus. You pay to watch, there are ads all over the site and if you don’t want to pay to watch it now, you’ll have to wait like 2 weeks, or 1 week, to watch it. So I bit torrent to a small hard drive and I weekly scrub the drive. I get the cake and I will be eating it too. I still watch netflix, because at least they have no ads, and I love Teamcoco.com. I don’t mind supporting the shows I like by them getting paid for the ads I need to sit through, but I do not wish to pay any less or any more than the value of the show itself. Seeing that the show was worth 3 ads per episode and some banners on the site, to then being increased to a monthly subscription, is gross. And about teamcoco, their ads are like 5 mins each and there are like 4 of them per episode. I still sit through them to watch the show. It’s like tv when I want to watch it, and it costs just the same as if I had watched it when it aired.

12. xdeath says:

when i read that the first thing that came to mind is crooked cops. just a good reason for them to arrest anyone that gets on there bad side.