Sony finally admits hackers were right all along

7 years after hackers got it to run on the PSP, 2 years after other hackers did the same on the PS3, Sony and ID Software will release Doom officially on their home console, finally admitting that yes, every computer in the world is entitled to run the father of all FPS.

Of course, this official version will include Doom3 (which is probably actually the main reason for the release… too bad ’cause the first two are much better IMO) with lots of added features such as split screen multiplayer and trophies.

Also, just to clarify, Doom 1 and 2 will be included in the package.

You can get more juicy information in the official PS blog, or you can enjoy this chronology I put together:

• 01/2006 – Hackers run Doom on the PSP
  • 05/2010 – Hackers run Doom on the PSP Go
  • 11/2010 – Hackers run Doom on the PS3
  • 01/2012 – Hackers run Doom on the PS Vita
  • 10/2012 – Sony and ID Software run Doom on the PS3

Don’t get me wrong, I am not pretending it is the same amount of work to port existing sources and to add new features to an existing game. I am also not pretending any hacker ported Doom3 to any of those consoles yet.

And before people start complaining in the comments: I am joking, this does not in any way mean that Sony admits hackers are doing them any kind of favor. Jeez guys, grow up a sense of humor or something :)

Is there any old-school game you guys would like to see officially ported to the Vita or the PS3?

1. alex’s avatar

all right but doom is a good game~XDD

2. Metalliphyll’s avatar

Shadow Warrior

1. BigCockSurprise’s avatar

OMG that game is sooo old lol i almost forgot about it! lol ya that would be awesome!

3. Yc096Ps’s avatar

Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction would be a blast on sonys new handheld!

4. ndh777’s avatar

Halo. I know we have gHalo or whatever it’s called, but it’s not the same lol

1. fate6’s avatar

yea you know because M$ will totally let Sony use one of there most profitable franchises >__>

1. ndh777’s avatar

Yeah…unfortunately :/ But it’s nice to dream!

5. TheBudds’s avatar

Take this as you will but when this story first broke wololo and and thoughts on how finally the ps3 is cool now.

I know this is my own taste but not having doom was the only thing that bugged me in the whole xbox vs. ps3 thing. I for one am truly glad to see the ps3 get Doomed in form of a three pack :)

1. TheBudds’s avatar

Oops, first part is supposed to be…

Wololo and thoughts on how the ps3 is finally cool now danced through my head. :(

6. Yol Morefi’s avatar

Wasn’t Wolfenstein 3D the first FPS ?

7. TrECeNTeRs’s avatar

Port over “Kingpin : The Life of Crime”

(Quake 2 engine)

8. BattaTrattaKill’s avatar

Wololo are you this bored? Come on and get serious with this. Try and “Spend” time with your’e kid or try and make vhbl better so it can run smoother and better with most game’s. I understand your’e blog or webpage gets lame. But come on man. jesus f’n christ. Doom’ sucked by the way. I prefer to play Red Dead Redemption on the ps vita via a jailbroken 3.55 ps3 anyday bro. cheers.

1. wololo’s avatar

How about you improve vhbl? It’s open source for a reason. Then you might finally understand there is a huge difference between spending 30minutes to write a blog article, and 20h to get a couple more homebrews to run in vhbl.

1. Sporo’s avatar

MomomomomomomoMONSTER kill.
        Thx for that wololo :)

2. Lolz’s avatar

not trying to be rude or anything, but how about giving us useful news instead of trolling us like this?

1. wololo’s avatar

If you think Doom coming to the PS3 is not useful news, I’m sorry for you :)

Seriously though: yeah, the title was intentionally misleading, but I think this is very relevant to what we do here. I think based on my videos you can tell I’m a huge Doom fan, so there is something ironic about Sony finally bringing it to one of their console. We could also discuss for hours the lack of support for the Vita…

1. BattaTrattaKill’s avatar

Actually I am still learning vhbl and how it works, Coding with it is just like going in and banging your’e wife for 2 hours than coming out with a red long face. For me Doom’ is a shitty game, yes everyone has their taste and their opinions. But come on. We’re in 2012 and you guy’s still want to play a 30p game? Like the Nintendo Fanboy’s who get so excited about a Super Mario game every year that only change’s Mario’s ears size. Now as for psp iso’s on the Vita that I will support. Kernel access to the vita is vital, and you can actually run a M33-CFW on the vita via a portal. Time will tell for all the Great things to appear on the ps vita. cheer’s mate.

2. natsu’s avatar

This person doesn’t know the golden rule not to ask eta or demand stuffs if you are not paying for anything.

3. Aizen_Idiot’s avatar

DOOM sucks? LOL, it’s the father of FPS

4. CMDR188’s avatar

Seriously, Grow up! Why don’t you go spend your time working on VHBL, it is open source. Personlly, and I would say I’m not the only on, I like reading about Wololo’s view on what’s happening oug there in the Gaming World!

5. rabidchild’s avatar

Your attitude sucks. Just so you know. And I think we can safely assume you cheated your way through DOOM, or it owned your ass and you just quit.

9. Aizen_Idiot’s avatar

01/2012 – Hackers run Doom on the PS Vita thru PSP emulator

1. Aizen_Idiot’s avatar

thru HBL

10. zonic’s avatar

pacman, galaga,digdug,asteroids and centipede

11. TheNinja2012’s avatar

So does that mean no Doom for PSP? (except the homebrew one, ofc)

1. JackleJoe’s avatar

I don’t think Sony cares enough about the PSP anymore to release it. They should focus on the Vita. The PSP is still great for homebrew, but I will never buy a PSP game again.

12. Riku’s avatar

Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Chrono Trigger…

13. tronpsp’s avatar

I would like to see NBA JAM and NFL Blitz ported to vita they have them for ps3 the old school looking ones not the new NFL Blitz.

14. ricer’s avatar

i will love to see magaman 9 and 10 on it that wold be epic

15. DESTROYER_ONER’s avatar

Final Doom night mare

16. TenCashMan’s avatar

Let’s see some open source raycasting engines :)
    I made one in Lua but it sucksss…
    I’ve made one in OSLib but I am not really a pro at optimizations.

17. little-vince’s avatar

Hey wolz.
    Can we get a promote comment button (like kotaku has) or like a +1 or a like button for comments?
    cuz like some the comments that get posted here are friggin hilarious.

1. wololo’s avatar

I’ll see if I can add that, I agree it would be a nice addition

18. juan577’s avatar

man doom was and is my first and favorite game ever if u guys hate it but still be positive about it. if id software had`nt made doom the 2d/3d fps games wouldnt be but who knows anyway

19. power_bi’s avatar

I know this is off topic, but is
    it possible to emulate a
    PSNetwork, by sending packages directly to
    the Vita. sorry 4 bad english.%)

20. TobeyDemon’s avatar

pc minecraft not through remote play & not s4inexcraft lamecraft, or lamecraft redstone piston mod, or 2d sidescrolling mindcraft. real pc multiplayer minecraft.

21. Blast’s avatar

Ps3. Needs sega’s chakan the foreverman. And also a HD version of Socom 3/ combined assault with multiplayer online. That game would sell millions again.

22. synapze’s avatar

Doom is nice and all…BUT BRING QUAKE 3 ARENA TO THE VITA! Playing the homebrew version is cool and all, but having a full version of Q3 Arena would be SICK :D