ISO Loaders & why they don’t work on HBL

A message for gamers as the holiday season is here:
Hey Folks, it is the shopping season and that means most of us will be buying gaming stuff in November and December. Wololo.net will be looking for the best deals and let you know about them. For example in July 2016, our twitter followers and mailing list subscribers were among the first to know about an Uncharted 4 Special edition deal for $19, a 75% discount at the time! Follow us on twitter to stay up to date. I also suggest to subscribe to our deals mailing list below for full deal updates. Note: this mailing list is mostly useful for people in the US.

We do not share your email with any third party

freddy_156

Italian, developer for fun, Android & GNU/Linux user, Microsoft hates me.

1. wololo says:

Theoretically, couldn’t we also hijack the LoadModule functions to load equivalent user-mode modules? Random example, if the game is trying to load an old mp3 module in kernel, couldn’t we hook all the logic for that? This would be a workaround for the impossibility to load those kernel modules?

• freddy_156 says:

Well, I’ve seen some games override modules such as ifhandle which should require kernel permissions. User modules could be theoretically loaded, but they are signed too.

2. StepS says:

not to mention that VHBL only has access to 24 MB RAM, which makes the implementation of this close to impossible 🙂

3. Andrew says:

What about signed eboots of psp games?

• freddy_156 says:

You don’t need an isoloader for those, as you said, they are signed, you can just buy them from PSN and run them.

• StepS says:

he meant the Fake NP trick for signed games.
        Well, the version 1.0 supports signing of them for 6.60.
        But the problem is that we can’t copy eboots inside a psp emulator, and we can’t launch it without the vita itself helping us to do so (and from livearea). Although someone else might look into it, but I think it’s like this.

• freddy_156 says:

Oh, I thought he meant digital copies of games

• StepS says:

i remember that Davee used a digital PSN psp game in his “Vita PSP HEN” video. So i suppose it’s meant to be only kernel-possible, if the psp or vita itself doesn’t run it for us

• StepS says:

also, all these “signed eboots” are in fact digital copies of games too. Just not of the paid ones, but of the demos. a demo header is used to make psp think it’s a valid game

• StepS says:

in other words, making a “signed game” to run is equivalent to make Super Collapse 3 Eboot to run from within VHBL.

4. z3r01 says:

lets just keep the psvita like it is now loading hombrews 😀

5. garrei says:

shoot me down if this is a stupid question, but could it be possible to store a “virtual kernel” of some sort and get HBL to load that so we dont have to get access to the real one?

• dimy93 says:

StepS on June 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm

So no free RAM-sorry

• wololo says:

In essence, that is what VHBL already is. It overrides the functions that cannot be accessed with fake ones. Some of them work well, some of them don’t.

6. dimy93 says:

Wouldn’t it be possible to use the signed eboots(both for games and homebrews) on a Vita if a “custom” memory stick/memory stick reader is produced and does anyone knows what hardware securities are applied to them so that they are not yet available

7. Wololo supporter says:

Do you guys have a twitter I want to be updated on everything you guys release. I work 7 days a week and don’t wanna miss the next exploit when and if it comes out

8. Boooler says:

I remember a very good and smart hack on psp when hackers took a demoversion (which was signed eboot) and replaced all game content from this eboot with another info

The left “package” so the psp could recognize and run it

it was like a trojan Eboot

9. wynd says:

So we need a kernel exploit to have full kernel/filesystem read/write and ram read/write access right? Sigh… hope wololo can find one! that would be great!
    Good luck 🙂

• wololo says:

Remember that we’re only talking of the PSP here, this wouldn’t give us access to more than what the PSP emulator can do.

• wynd says:

Could you rephrase that please?

• wololo says:

The “Kernel exploit” we would have for now (for example, the one discussed here: http://wololo.net/2012/06/14/psx-on-the-vita-an-interview-with-the-mysterious-vita-hacker/ ) is a PSP Kernel exploit.

It means, once run in the Vita, that we have access to everything the PSP emulator lets us access, which is not much: we are still “inside” the PSP sandbox. So, we have access to the PSP emulated hardware and the PSP emulated ram. In particular, a PSP kernel exploit would not give us access to the full Vita Ram, or to the touch screen, for example.

A “vita Kernel exploit” is still a very blurry concept and I don’t think it makes sense to talk about such a thing for now.

10. PureMagic says:

I’m pretty sure a partial compatibility ISO Loader can be developed.
    The EBOOT.BIN encryption is not a real problem, and some of the games with custom kernel modules might work just fine with the OFW modules.

11. BlackClover says:

@freddy_156
    So I’m dedicating myself to figuring out how to run ISOs on VHBL. I understand almost everything you said. I get that CFW’s to run ISO’s require kernel access, and ISOs require kernel access. I understand VHBL doesn’t require kernel access. However, my question is do legitimately downloaded PSP games require kernel access? If so, are they only granted it because they’re “signed”? If they don’t require kernel access then why can’t we just reverse-engineer ISO’s into .eboots and sign them to get VHBL to run?

My issue: I don’t want to learn Japanese. I have purchased MHP3rd and am trying to play it in English on the Vita. I downloaded a patched ISO that contains 80% english translation.
    I’ve gone and turned the ISO into an .eboot and used the purchased copy from PSN to try to sign the patched ISO
    Using VHBL: Process fails.

Is what I’m doing possible? Or am I going in the completely opposite direction of trying to get this method to work?