The exploit factory

I just submitted an update to file “gen_exploit_config.rb” in the HBL svn, you can find the file here.

That file is experimental (and also in need of some massive cleanup), but basically it should generate almost everything that is needed to get VHBL to compile and run (including, and especially, on the PS Vita) assuming you already have an exploit and the associated binary loader.

This is still experimental, and I need to update the “how to port HBL” tutorial with this new information, but mid term this should allow you to port HBL to your game exploit in about 5 minutes (compared to about 1 week for people without experience now).

If you have a user mode exploit and want to give it a try, here is a quick How to. Note: You need to be running on a PSP with a 6.60 firmware (CFW of course) for this to be 100% compatible with the Vita:

1. Write your binary loader
  2. While displaying your hello world in psplink, type malloc 2 test l 204800, this will give you an address to load HBL. Note down this address
  3. still in the same psplink session, type uidlist > uidlist.txt in order to save the current essential UID information
  4. still in the same session, type savemem 0×08800000 0×01800000 memdump.bin to dump the user memory
  5. copy the file uidlist.txt and the file memdump.bin to the tools folder of HBL (where gen_exploit_config.rb is). Make sure uidlist.txt is encoded in unix format, convert it if that’s not the case.
  6. Copy the file sdk.S from your exploit into the tools folder of HBL. you should now have, in addition to gen_exploit_config.rb, uidlist.txt, sdk.S, and memdump.bin
  7. run gen_exploit_config.rb. It should create an “output” folder which will have most of the necessary files for HBL compilation
  8. Edit the 2 “TODO” sections of output/exploit_config.h, one with the HBL address you obtained above, the other one with the id of your game (e.g. UCUS12345)
  9. Copy the files from the output folder to your exploit folder in HBL, follow the HBL port tutorial to get the 1 or 2 missing files, and Compile
  10. Profit

1. darkenvy’s avatar

I like your strategy Wololo. Make exploits easy for average joe, get stuff done. Do we have an IRC channel?

1. wololo’s avatar

we have #pspcommunity on freenode

1. rafael707’s avatar

wololo you should get on more, i never see you xD

2. reydempto’s avatar

If the next psp game announce is a bust and sony takes it off too early, I will try this out for sure…but I just put 50 euros into my PSN account, and I am eagerly waiting and f5ing your blog.

Cheers, wololo

3. ThAt_GuY’s avatar

So I need to have the Arctic Edge Exploit for this to work?
    Sorry, still kinda new to the VHBL scene.

1. eric’s avatar

At the moment, the only game is Arctic Edge. However, we’re anxiously awaiting the release of the name of the next VBHL compatible game. Word on the forums is that it’s not available in the US. If you live in the US, you’ll need to create a European PSN account and buy a European Store.

Good luck!

1. eric’s avatar

*A European Store card online. This is the site I used.

4. reydempto’s avatar

This is for is you have found a game with an exploitable crash, you can use this tool to try to port vhbl yourself instead of waiting for wololo or someone else to do it :)

5. ThAt_GuY’s avatar

Oh, putting the tools in the users hands, makes sense. Thanks wololo

6. trevor’s avatar

Is the vhbl compatible w/ any psone emulators at the moment??

7. your mom, my dick’s avatar

My viraa collecting dust cus of shitty launch titles, hurry up and crack the vita side shouldn’t be that hard right? I mean I can understand the ps3 taking so long but a handheld???? Comon

1. wololo’s avatar

Be sure to keep me updated on your progress, sounds easy enough.

2. AnonX0120’s avatar

yup not that hard YOU can always do it yourself if you’re so impatient…

3. AnonX0120’s avatar

yup not that hard YOU can always do it yourself if you’re so impatient…

8. demonguard’s avatar

>malloc 2 test l 204800
    Error allocating memory in pid:2

How can I free up memory to load HBL into?

1. npissoawsome’s avatar

From my understanding, his means that your crash is not compatible with HBL