…And we’re still good to go on 1.61

As confirmed earlier by Teck4, VHBL still seems to work fine on vita’s firmware 1.61. I say “seems” because testing this is very difficult.

After all, I’m running on a version of the game that was bought back in December, and for all I know, it got patched or something… I surely hope not. Firmware 1.61 does not seem to bring much, and, luckily this time, I didn’t have to upgrade CMA on top of the Vita.

Every firmware update is obviously very stressful and makes me realize even more the fragility of this exploit. I wish I could say like the failOverfl0w team for the ps3, or the prometheus team for the pandora batteries: “Sony can’t patch it without a hardware revision”, but I don’t have that confidence. It’s actually the opposite. There are so many ways this exploit can be patched, it’s not even funny. As I mentioned a while ago, my only hope with this is that Sony will say the same thing that pirates are saying: “it doesn’t run PSP or Vita isos, it doesn’t even access the Vita hardware, so who cares?”. Well I do, and I’d be super happy if a few people can use it. Sure, those are “only” PSP homebrews, but trust me, the Vita screen and memory stick improved access times make those homebrews look cool again :)

Mamosuke contacted me yesterday to let me know that for some reason, copying VHBL from a PS3 to the Vita doesn’t work properly, as the PS3 fails to copy some of the files. I’ll have to verify that myself, but for now (or, rather, when you get VHBL), I recommend to copy from a PC instead of a PS3.

On a side note, we banned almost 50 accounts on /talk, mostly belonging to Japanese users, by mistake. We fixed that and unbanned most accounts, but if you registered today or yesterday and are having problems to login on /talk, please contact me directly and I’ll see what I can do. Apologies for the inconvenience.

1. syafiq tatsuya’s avatar

nice i have sell my vita lol XD well hoping get new psvita 3g next yaar but that for this great new :D

2. syafiq tatsuya’s avatar

sorry for the typo…. thank for the great new wololo XD

3. Xstokerx’s avatar

This is awsome news cant wait to play wagic and doom on me shinny new vita in the comming days.

4. dimy93’s avatar

Hope that Sony wouldn’t bother patching so small and insignificant thing but the ball is in the Sony’s field
    Btw the game is on Vita’s PSN already right because there are so many games missing right now …

1. wololo’s avatar

It seems to be possible to install any game through a PS3 though, from what I read?

1. dimy93’s avatar

Correct but still I don’t have one :)

5. Crimson Flamebreaker’s avatar

Well, just have to wait tomorrow then ;D

1. dimy93’s avatar

Here we’re waiting 1st of March

6. npt’s avatar

Phew. /me wipes brow. Just got to turning my vita on this morning and saw ‘you must update’ so of course did not, waited until I got to work to check things out re: VHBL and 1.61. Updating.

Regards,

npt

7. chris’s avatar

in the end of the month as i will be paid from my job i will buy it and i hope that i will be able to transfer my sega ,snes,mame collection in this little beast :)

8. venthar’s avatar

wololo could you post the time when you announce the game name?

9. Tosuya86’s avatar

Hello, PSN is open in France… :)
    At what Time do you annonce the game name for VHBL?

Sorry for my english, I’m french :-)

10. Riku’s avatar

Hey wololo, I sent you an email about this a few days ago but I’m not sure if you got it so I’ll copy it here >.>

I understand that you want to keep as much secret about the game as you can but if you could at least give me a little information about the pricing it would be appreciated. I’d just like to know, if I bought a $50 PSN card would I have enough money left over after buying the PSP game to be able to afford Stardust Delta for the Vita ($10 or $15 if I get the DLC combo)

Thanks in advance for your answer.

1. wololo’s avatar

Apologies, I can’t reply that question. Lots of people ask me: is it enough with this amount of money, is it more than this or that… if I answered, say, 3 or 4 times to the same guy without knowing it, they could be able to narrow it down.
      I understand you need that kind of information in order to organize your purchase, but as I’m telling everyone, I’m doing my best to make this thing go as smoothly as possible to a high number of people. Hopefully what I’m doing now will make much more sense to lots of people after they realize how the release is happening.

1. Riku’s avatar

Thanks for the reply Wololo :D

11. senas8’s avatar

wooohoo. copy that. were still good to go.

12. senas8’s avatar

over and out :P

13. senas8’s avatar

To be honest.. I am in a state of panic.. that I will be at work.. and not have access to wifi on my vita.. when the game is announced .. and miss out.13hrs untill back to work again.. uhhhh. should I just call in sick for the rest of the week? lolz. Yeah VHBL is that important for me :D

1. Rafael707’s avatar

i agree, hell im willing to pay for it… yes i need it….

14. yaolynn711’s avatar

tomorrow is coming~~~~~~~~~~~yeah~~~~~~~~

15. SIyan’s avatar

I can’t wait anymore!

16. Crimson Flamebreaker’s avatar

Btw is this the 4th firmwire released for this year?

17. Rafael707’s avatar

@wololo, if i donated $100usd can i get a pre release of the exploit before it gets patched? serious question.

1. wololo’s avatar

Thanks for the offer, but I don’t want to involve money with this hack. I especially don’t want you to think that you pay for a service.

1. Rafael707’s avatar

can you ask tek4? im sure he can use a new game xD…

18. senas8’s avatar

^ yeah stay tuned.

19. senas8’s avatar

wololo: is there a second or even 3rd game save exploit.. not publicly known?

1. wololo’s avatar

There is at least a second psp game exploit that I know about, and probably others as well, hopefully

20. senas8’s avatar

great news.

1. Rafael707’s avatar

problem is once vhbl gets released, the method for transfering the files via cma, will be patched.. $ony will make it harder for us the second time around after the first vhbl

21. senas8’s avatar

Well gotta go to work. crap. I hope I wont miss out on this.

22. Marcro’s avatar

Good news, so i can upgrade right now my Vita to 1.61 or i should wait till you release the hack?

23. dragon-zhou’s avatar

Thanks your work sincerely and pays, I meet the patience to wait for your issue.

24. Riku’s avatar

Answer me D: ;-;

25. obsession’s avatar

wololo , sorry if i sound like such a noob but i have the up to date update 1.61 which is surpose to work on backing up files with the cma r3 but for some reason even following the steps … there is still noo connection … can you help me or someone .. sorry for sounding retarded

26. obsession’s avatar

any word on the game ?

27. syafiq tatsuya’s avatar

do not use open cma….lol you have to uninstall and install back without patch the open cma.. because open cma/cma r3 will give you tranfer the file without using internet

28. Damiano’s avatar

when you will give us the name of the game?

29. senas8’s avatar

I think this would be a good time to thank wololo from his goodness of his heart .. to share this with us all. wololo .. Thank you.

1. wololo’s avatar

Just thank me when you get the files, it’s too early for that now :)

30. senas8’s avatar

lol your modest. Really if for example I wont have a chance to use Vbhl on my vita… does that exclude your hard work you put into it? I think not. just knowing that it was possible at one point in time.. makes it worth while reading your blog. :D

31. kyuley’s avatar

vhbl using homemade applications,that was cool~

32. Razorbacktrack’s avatar

So wololo when you will release the name of the game ?

33. Mart’s avatar

Just bought the EU PSP2 (I dislike ViSta meh!) in the Netherlands, will upgrade to 1.61 now without any fear and enjoy the online a bit untill you release the method & name of the PSP game to own for the exploit ima get it instantly on PSN!

Hope its anytime soon, I really, really want to run them emulators like N64 which has a hard time on the PSP1 to pull it off including sound running sync. Also I would be very very happy if a Dreamcast emu in the end would run on the PSP2… Can’t wait!

Cheers, keep up the good work!

1. Ben’s avatar

Marc:

You want to run N64 … This “exploit” only runs in the “PSP” Emulator, on the Vita.

In other words, it will run the same as it does on the PSP, because the emulator, “emulates” the PSP identically. Speed, Ram, etc.

So you are not going to see any speed increase. Do a bit of research before will ya.

You can have a faster N64 emulator, IF, they hack open the Vita’s root level. And then somebody needs to adapt a existing ARM based N64 emulator, to run there.

34. John4782’s avatar

@wololo: Could you please name me (us) just the Date of the release ? We are all so paranoid that we are at work/school, and we’re gonna stop opening the Index Page every 5 Minutes. Or could you just say what week, because I can’t stop refreshing the page here. :/

35. Riku’s avatar

Wololo, could you PLEASE answer my question (the one I asked above). At the very least tell me if you’re not comfortable answering it so I can leave you alone if you are <_<

36. Drew’s avatar

Wooo! Currently updating from 1.06 to 1.61 so I can use the browser! Can’t wait until a hack is released.

37. kourosh7’s avatar

@wololo Can you tell me if the N3rOS4T exploit is real or fake?? here is a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71ItTbSn3Ic&feature=related

1. wololo’s avatar

It is fake. They are taking other people’s video with fake claims of being able to run iso’s etc… their only goal is to trick you with a cash link to get the password.