Forced Firmware Update 1.52 for the PS Vita

I just got contacted by Virtuous Flame who informed me that PS Vita update 1.52 is available (which is confirmed on the official site), and as for version 1.51 back in December, this update is compulsory if you want to use some services such as the PSN (which makes sense) or the possibility to copy files to your Vita with the Content Manager (which doesn’t).

Virtuous Flame was therefore able to confirm that his patches to the CMA (openCMA) allow him to keep using the CMA without having to upgrade. He noted that your console’s wifi must also be turned off, otherwise the console will ask you t update as well. If your console asks you to update to 1.52 and you don’t want to, turn its wifi off (plane mode), then reboot the console. also install openCMA on your PC. This won’t give you access to the PSN, but at least you can use the CMA.

I haven’t verified that myself yet. I also don’t know if 1.52 patches Teck4′s exploit and/or my work on HBL.

1. Rainy’s avatar

1st post :D
    Anything new ?

2. syafiq tatsuya’s avatar

if vita in the plane mode will the vita can u enter the pc without internet and psn?

1. wololo’s avatar

You need a psn account I think. Open CMA makes it ok to copy without internet access, but it needs to have been connected at least once to validate the psn account, I believe.

3. natsu’s avatar

we cant connect our vita to our pc.. we updated it to 1.52(hoping that it would fix the thing)

it says that we install cma… but damn, we already did…:(

4. syafiq tatsuya’s avatar

yeah me too have update to 1.52 :( dammit

5. Crimson Flamebreaker’s avatar

What kind of psn account? Japanese? I need to know wether it can be connect with a US psn account so that i can connect my japanese ps vita via pc :o

1. wololo’s avatar

The U S store is not opened yet. JP and HK stores are opened, if you don’t speak Japanese, you might want to try the HK one.

6. syafiq tatsuya’s avatar

damn how do i register psn ?everytime i try to register psvita on psn and pc the website say undermaintain any info how to register?

7. syafiq tatsuya’s avatar

i dont care any psn jap or US i know i want to put all my mp3 and movie on my psvita pls any suggestion to register psn?

1. wololo’s avatar

First, you’ll need to reset your vita (go to system menu, there’s an option for that). It will erase all your info. Then restart the console, and choose “japan” as your country (you can still choose english language). Then connect your vita to a wifi and go to the psn store on your vita. you will be guided (in japanese) to create a JP Store account. Alternatively you can choose Hong Kong which will probably have english. the essential step is to say that you live in Japan or in Honk Kong when you setup your PSP initially

1. syafiq tatsuya’s avatar

thank^^

8. Crimson Flamebreaker’s avatar

@wololo: thank you. But when is the US psn store opened? :D

1. wololo’s avatar

Probably at the same time as the release of the console, around february 22nd

1. L’s avatar

Earlier due to the early ps vita bundle which is released on 15th February.

9. Crimson Flamebreaker’s avatar

Nevermind about the last post. I think I’ll try the HK psn XD

10. natsu’s avatar

i will try my best to connect my vita…

i think its not a problem with the cable… hopefulluy… mabye im just overwhelmed by the awesomeness…lol

1. xyz’s avatar

Remember, there are 2 ways to insert cable, but it will only work if PS logo is on top.

11. Crimson Flamebreaker’s avatar

Same here

12. L’s avatar

I know it’s unrelated, but could anyone tell me whether the 10 free games for the psp go – which were apart of the offer – work on the ps vita.

Thanks.

13. santos’s avatar

@wololo: since we can’t connect to psn now with our vita..since we need to update.. how are we going to get the game required to get hbl working? The psp games have a .psvimg like the vita games. So even if we use media go.. those games are still eboots and dat. Im a little confused how were going to get the game in the future.

1. wololo’s avatar

I’m relying on the fact that Sony will not patch the vulnerability before the console is out in the US. As I said, Teck4′s exploit (and therefore my work on HBL) is extremely easy to patch for Sony and won’t be useful to most users. I think you’re just starting to understand why I said that :)
      There will not be a possibility for people to buy the game with the exploit “in the future”. It will have to happen within hours of the HBL public release. So I’m expecting a few hundreds or maybe a few thousands of people to benefit from the exploit, before Sony patches it.

14. santos’s avatar

ok. I still don’t how the vita will pick up on the psp games .. I tried putting a game I downloaded from psn into PGame with all the license etc. vita didn’t pick it up. Like I said the ps vita when it downloads a psp game from psn.. the file extension is different. Thats what im asking.

1. wololo’s avatar

Right, as far as I know you have to buy the game from the PS Vita. This means you have to be on the latest firmware. This means that as son as Sony patches the exploit, nobody can buy it anymore. This is why I say only a few hundred people will get access to this hack

15. santos’s avatar

or do you mean just change the .eboot and .dat to psvimg? that would be lol :P

16. khairunnisa’s avatar

yay psvvita suck :D

17. khairunnisa’s avatar

just kidding :D

18. syafiq tatsuya’s avatar

any idea when will psvita hbl is coming?

19. AW’s avatar

did open CMA prevent your vita from being updated?

20. Laot Sbru’s avatar

i have already update my vita to 1.52
    i can’t transfer any data into my vita..i also try use cma_r3..but it don’t work
    is there any solve to fix it..i don’t know hat to do

21. Ace’s avatar

Before I buy an imported Vita from Japan, just want to ask these questions:
    1. If I register first with the Vita, does it force an update of firmware before registering to PSN?
    2. If updated to 1.52, will opencma R3 will not work?
    Thanks!!

1. wololo’s avatar

1. Yes, I think so, you have to update in order to access the PSN services, including registration
      2. I think openCMA r3 still works on 1.52

1. Ace’s avatar

Thanks for the quick rely wololo. One last thing can I register PSN using Hong Kong Server?

22. Ace’s avatar

Hi Wololo does the new 1.60 patch blocks: remote play, opencma r3?

23. Coc’s avatar

This is nuts. They are systematically shutting us out of our consoles. I can’t wait to see what happens when someone makes a PC driver that recognizes it as a USB drive and cracks it wide open.

24. Ronan’s avatar

Hi, can I unlock the us ps vita 3g installing the hk firmware? It’ll work??? Thx