Release: Wagic 0.17.1 for PSP, iOS, Android and other platforms
It’s been 6 months since the last release of Wagic, and I’m sure some of you might have thought the project was on a halt. The truth is, we’ve been working on several major things on Wagic that postponed this release. This release is a major milestone for us, as this is the first official release were we support iPhone/iPad and Android.
What is Wagic?
Often compared to commercial games for its replay value and quality, Wagic is a heroic fantasy card game, in which you fight as a wizard against the computer. As you win battles, you unlock new game modes and earn credits that allow you to improve your army. Wagic is community driven and entirely customizable: you can create themes, mods, new rules, or even new games (check for example Knights VS Dagons on our forums, a game strongly inspired by strategy games such as warcraft). Wagic is available in several languages (English, French, German, spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Serbian), and open source. It currently runs on the Sony PSP, Windows, Linux, maemo, meego, Android, and iOS (iPhone, iPad).
This version of Wagic comes with more than 500 new unique cards, including some from the long awaited set Innistrad, but the main reason this release took time is that we today bring a version of Wagic available for iPhone, iPad, Android and Meego (Nokia N9) on top of the already supported platforms (Windows, Linux, Maemo, and the PSP). This required major improvements to our game, and this is the main reason this release took so long. Other platforms are however getting there share of bug fixes and improvements, see details below.
- iOS (iPhone/iPad) version now available! (see details below)
- Android version now available! (see details below)
- Meego (Nokia N9) version now available!
- More than 500 new unique cards. Wagic now supports 15400 cards (8700 unique), including cards from Innistrad.
- New abilities for card coders. We will update the card Wiki asap with details
- A new progress bar in the main menu shows you how far you are from completing the game (unlocking all sets, mods, opponents, etc…)
- You can now easily create unlockable mods. If you’re interested, check the rules folder, in particular the file awards.dat
- A new file system supporting zip files. For users, this change will mostly be transparent, but it should make installing the game easier, as well as installing/uninstalling mods. This should also make it easier for most people to install images. See this thread in the forum for details, especially if you want to create campaigns or mods for the game.
- Many bug fixes
Special notes about the iOS and Android versions
Wagic has been around on the PSP for years. It gave us lots of time to improve it. Hopefully, these 4 years of development will be visible when you try Wagic on your touch device. Nevertheless, this is a whole new interface to handle for us, and we know it is far from perfect. But we are doing this release because many people have been waiting for it. Wagic on iOS or Android is not perfect, but we hope you’ll enjoy it anyway. We hope that this release will motivate some additional devs to come and join the fun of working on this project. We are a bunch of hobbyists creating Wagic on our free time, come and join us! The source can be downloaded here. If you have the skills to compile the game and fix a bug or improve something, send me a patch and we’ll give you write access to the SVN!
The iOS version requires a jailbroken device. The android version requires you to install the apk by yourself, using for example Astro. We are aware that solutions such as cydia or the android market exist, but we are waiting for an improved version of Wagic before we go mainstream.
The link above takes you to the download page where you can choose the correct archive depending on your platform
As usual, enjoy this new release of Wagic!