Release: Wagic 0.17.1 for PSP, iOS, Android and other platforms

It’s been 6 months since the last release of Wagic, and I’m sure some of you might have thought the project was on a halt. The truth is, we’ve been working on several major things on Wagic that postponed this release. This release is a major milestone for us, as this is the first official release were we support iPhone/iPad and Android.

What is Wagic?

Often compared to commercial games for its replay value and quality, Wagic is a heroic fantasy card game, in which you fight as a wizard against the computer. As you win battles, you unlock new game modes and earn credits that allow you to improve your army. Wagic is community driven and entirely customizable: you can create themes, mods, new rules, or even new games (check for example Knights VS Dagons on our forums, a game strongly inspired by strategy games such as warcraft). Wagic is available in several languages (English, French, German, spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Serbian), and open source. It currently runs on the Sony PSP, Windows, Linux, maemo, meego, Android, and iOS (iPhone, iPad).

Changelog

This version of Wagic comes with more than 500 new unique cards, including some from the long awaited set Innistrad, but the main reason this release took time is that we today bring a version of Wagic available for iPhone, iPad, Android and Meego (Nokia N9) on top of the already supported platforms (Windows, Linux, Maemo, and the PSP). This required major improvements to our game, and this is the main reason this release took so long. Other platforms are however getting there share of bug fixes and improvements, see details below.

Detailed changelog:

• iOS (iPhone/iPad) version now available! (see details below)
  • Android version now available! (see details below)
  • Meego (Nokia N9) version now available!
  • More than 500 new unique cards. Wagic now supports 15400 cards (8700 unique), including cards from Innistrad.
  • New abilities for card coders. We will update the card Wiki asap with details
  • A new progress bar in the main menu shows you how far you are from completing the game (unlocking all sets, mods, opponents, etc…)
  • You can now easily create unlockable mods. If you’re interested, check the rules folder, in particular the file awards.dat
  • A new file system supporting zip files. For users, this change will mostly be transparent, but it should make installing the game easier, as well as installing/uninstalling mods. This should also make it easier for most people to install images. See this thread in the forum for details, especially if you want to create campaigns or mods for the game.
  • Many bug fixes

Special notes about the iOS and Android versions

Wagic has been around on the PSP for years. It gave us lots of time to improve it. Hopefully, these 4 years of development will be visible when you try Wagic on your touch device. Nevertheless, this is a whole new interface to handle for us, and we know it is far from perfect. But we are doing this release because many people have been waiting for it. Wagic on iOS or Android is not perfect, but we hope you’ll enjoy it anyway. We hope that this release will motivate some additional devs to come and join the fun of working on this project. We are a bunch of hobbyists creating Wagic on our free time, come and join us! The source can be downloaded here. If you have the skills to compile the game and fix a bug or improve something, send me a patch and we’ll give you write access to the SVN!

The iOS version requires a jailbroken device. The android version requires you to install the apk by yourself, using for example Astro. We are aware that solutions such as cydia or the android market exist, but we are waiting for an improved version of Wagic before we go mainstream.

More Info

Remember that in addition to the news in this blog, you can find more Wagic news on twitter and facebook thanks to Leungclj

Download

If you enjoy Wagic, please consider a donation. Thanks in advance!

download here

The link above takes you to the download page where you can choose the correct archive depending on your platform
As usual, enjoy this new release of Wagic!

1. Iono’s avatar

Well, I really like Yu-Gi-Oh tag force 3. Are there similarities?

1. wololo’s avatar

Yes, Yu Gi Oh is basically a watered-down version of MTG (that’s a personal opinion). MTG has overall more depth and strategy. MTG targets people who are 13yo and above (lots of adults play it), while Yu Gi Oh is for 6yo and above(age range is from the official product pages, I’m not trying to make it sounds like you’re a kid)

2. Iono’s avatar

Ok, one more thing, does wagic have similar features like Monster, Trap and spell cards? I am on my PSPgo right now so I can’t test myself. (Btw, I like that highlited “do you appreciatd my work” phrase for your amazon thingy’, lol, you should underline it as well.

1. wololo’s avatar

Yeah. Monsters are called “Creatures” in MTG, spells are called sorceries/enchantments/equipment, and traps are similar to instants, I’d say

3. p2s2p’s avatar

A version for Windows phone would be nice :)

4. jonycash’s avatar

@iono u can test it on any psp no need to hack it its a signed homebrew

1. Iono’s avatar

I was posting from my PSPgo at the time. This is what I was explaining…..

5. Dr. Solomat’s avatar

Hello Wagic fans,

if you want to know which cards are new in Wagic 0.17.1, just check out this thread in the Wagic forum:

6. imselang’s avatar

Good! I think I finally find a game which can stay long in my Android phone.

7. BBC’s avatar

Congrats Wololo and Dev Team on yet another fine release.

Is there a minimum IOs version for Wagic. I have an old Ipod touch G2 with IOs 4.0 and I would like to know wether Wagic would work.

I have searched the forums and FAQ for this info, but was not able to find it.

Thanks,

bbc

1. wololo’s avatar

I am not sure about the minimum iOS requirement. Your hardware must support OpenGL2. For iPhones, this means you need at least a 3GS model, I don’t know for iPods.

1. w7y7a7t7t’s avatar

for ipods it means ipodtouch 3rd gen or above, and maybe the 2g MC model.

8. Alex’s avatar

Thanks, Updates are always appreciated :D

9. Medu’s avatar

gracias wololo, muy buenos proyectos :D

10. Liluclau’s avatar

Merci beaucoup pour cette nouvelle version, encore une fois c’est du super boulot !! Continuez comme ça !!!

11. wew’s avatar

do i just patch it?since i already have the 0.16 version

12. wew’s avatar

sir, if i have the old version how do i patch it to the new one so that i can still have everything from the old version?

13. wew’s avatar

do i need to redo all the images and unlock everything else again? or is there a way to just patch the game to use the new ones while keeping all the datas i have in the 0.16?

14. natsu’s avatar

i got a rooted galaxy s2… and i tried your android version of wagic… it exits automatically on story mode….

if i can help in testing it on android.. i will be more than happy to do so

1. wololo’s avatar

Thanks, several people reported issues with the story mode on Android, I will have a look

15. chrisuros’s avatar

I do have a Xperia W8, an android phone. My problem is cant even run the apk file. Any help?

1. wololo’s avatar

You need android 2.3 or higher, that’s the only requirement. Also make sure to “install” the apk with a tool such as Astro before running it.

16. arskent’s avatar

How to display the card image? I copied the card pic file into the “sets” folder and made a zip files,it worked in previous version. But in 0.17.1 it not work no longer.How should i do?

1. wololo’s avatar

Make sure the zip is in store format, not compressed, all archive tools have this option.

1. Arskent’s avatar

well,I extracted the pic in the folder, it is worked.I like ur wagic and it is awesome.I cannot find anyone who even know the MTG in my city.so thank u for made this game.

17. Shinny’s avatar

I like Wagic but was thinking why not make wagic online + crossplatform, any toghts on this one?

1. wololo’s avatar

Yes, it would be great, we just need the devs to do it. ;)

1. Borjaquake’s avatar

Nice version as always!!!!.But packs (the ones in packs directory) seems not to work in this new version

18. lynnlx’s avatar

MIPS architecture Andriod 4.0 can not run…

1. wololo’s avatar

indeed, the Android version is ARM only for now :(

1. lynnlx’s avatar

I hope the next version can support.Thank you very much.

19. Cristobal’s avatar

Hey guys!
    i have a problem when i play wagic for android in my samsung galaxy tab. i cannot sell cards from my desk o library. i cannot find the trick, or button, or touch side for this action… please help me
    Thanks!

20. tom’s avatar

i have a problem with your release, becaus i can’t play with.
    the game don’t begin. how i can resolve this problem?

21. ben jammin’s avatar

Hotseat mode on android please!

22. roberto’s avatar

Yes Windows phone please i enjoy hours of fun with mi psp now i got a Windows phone please id you can make it o great and all powerful games programers