A few homebrews that run on the Vita HBL

In the past days I stabilized HBL for Teck4′s exploit and got some major homebrews to work. In the video below I’m showing a few homebrews running on the PS Vita. I also included Picodrive again to show that fixing the sound issue is relatively easy as it is just a setting in the emulator. Check the video below.

You can see in this video snes9xTYL (super nes emulator), Bookr (pdf reader), CSPSP, T.O.M.E. (text mode rpg), EmuMaster (game boy emulator), Zombie Crisis (FPS), Wagic (which loads about 10 times faster than on a real PSP, this talks for the improved access speed of this new memory stick format), cavestory (platform/adventure), Picodrive (sega genesis emulator), Spider solitaire, ScummVM (point-and-click adventure), Daedalus (N64 emulator, this is not DaedalusX64), FCEU-PSP (Nes emulator). Those are more or less the homebrews I recommended to HBL users back when HBL was big.

Missing from this video is (unfortunately) gpsp which I couldn’t get to run on the Vita, while it ran fine on the PSP. What I could see is that the emulator is more sensitive than the PSP when a thread that’s currently not running crashes. I think (not sure) that gpsp somehow crashes HBL. On the psp it usually means that once you quit gpsp, HBL crashes. On the vita it seems to crash as soon as gpsp does “something wrong” to hbl, which is roughly as soon as it loads.

I got major homebrews to work, and now I’ll focus on reporting this to the EU and US version, which both need to be brought up to speed with these latest changes.

From what I could see, syscall estimation basically doesn’t work (which is what JJS discovered a while ago when porting HBL to 6.60), which will limit the amount of homebrews that can be played with this exploit, but as you can see on the video, I got a few good ones to run already :)

A message to haters who say I’m reusing other people’s work from the PSP scene and not contributing anything new: ask yourself who made it so easy to port HBL to new game exploits in the first place.

1. KID 0’s avatar

Nice work. (Can you please ask moskito why I got a second board warning?)

2. L’s avatar

Thanks for the work, wololo

3. Guardian’s avatar

Seriously, I said I won’t be getting the VITA, but you and your work make it tempting now. Now I am thinking about getting in. Seriously, stop there! otherwise I will be forced to buy a Vita, so I can play the homebrews!

1. wololo’s avatar

For now, it’s way better to get a psp if that’s what’s motivating you. HBL is unfortunately not bringing anything more than what we have on the psp so far :)

4. StepS’s avatar

Good job :D
    But I’ve always asked myself a question: how did you manage to put the HBL files into PSP, if the CMA only allows the encrypted and correctly packaged PSP games? Did you use the internet browser or what? :)

1. StepS’s avatar

Sorry, not the PSP. The PS Vita, of course! :D
      My bad

2. wololo’s avatar

That’s the kind of thing I will reveal for the public release, not before :)

1. cscash241’s avatar

he probably just signed hbl

2. rafael707’s avatar

nice job wololo, great to see super mario world working well, do you think in the future my old save files will work still on vita?

1. wololo’s avatar

if you were using snes9xTYL, yes.

1. rafael707’s avatar

thx

5. Jologs’s avatar

I know this question is OT but I really need help bigtime. My psp started acting weird lately. When I’m in game, it randomly shows the screen where the “Do you want to quit the game” appears. I don’t know if the home button is messed up ora the UMD drive or the firmware itself(I’m in 6.20PRO-B10/PSP3000). One more thing, I don’t have any UMD at the UMD drive but my psp keeps reading something and eventually says “disc cannnot be read” and stops readin it. Can someone help me?@.@ BTW. Nice progress on the PSVita HBL :) Good WOrk.

1. wololo’s avatar

try to see if your home button is not physically messed up. Google for it, I’ve seen some tutos where people would add a bit of paper to “pad” the home button and prevent that kind of thing from happening.

1. Jologs’s avatar

Thanks for the reply. It really is the home button. @.@ It seems that the rubber silicon thing is the problem. Well I bought a new faceplate with these silicon things so now it works perfect :)

6. ???’s avatar

Yeah!! seeing snes9xTYL,Wagic and some other homebrew run on vita makes me wanna cry,…but other than faster access speed because of new MS format there is no improved performance!!!!,this is really going nowhere……..I think that’s it for that exploit, we should find a real PSV exploit for us to put PSV power to good use!!!

7. rosael.rj’s avatar

cps2psp/mvspsp/FBA.plis

8. cscash241’s avatar

Keep up the good work, I hope you can get gpsp working

9. jeremy chang’s avatar

a congratulations from chinese people

10. svenn’s avatar

Its nice to see someone is still using this outdated-expensive-brand-f* console ! ;)

11. dimy93’s avatar

CPS1 ,MVS emulators work?

12. Ben’s avatar

Is there any change in speed beyond the faster access for the storage cards, or is the PSV its PSP emulator faithfully emulating the PSP’s true speed. Like are the framerates on the emulators run in this PSP emulator the same as the real thing.

Talk about a twist of tong. PSV -> PSP Emulator -> Homebrew Emulators -> PSP :D

I assume that nobody has been able to gain access to the system beyond the PSP Emulator layer of the PSV.

In other words, nobody knows what the true cpu/gpu/… speeds are. Or even how much the PSP emulator uses from the system.

Any chance for doing a battery test? Full Battery -> Empty running the PSP emulator. At the same time, running a PSP with the same test.

With this as we know the battery capacity for the PSV, and PSP its possible to calculate how much the PSP emulator taxes the PSV.

Just a idea…

13. Lol’s avatar

title=”Nice!!!”>

14. mame fans’s avatar

Wololo:In psv on mame emulator that can run it? Faster than the original faster?

15. Nicholas’s avatar

wololo ps vita will future enable play psp game??

16. Nicholas’s avatar

anyone having problem on ps vita Screen? went into dark room… try turn max bright light.. then turn off ur ps vita.. re on again.. PS logo show out.. then u see beside of the screen will any black dot on ur screen?

1. j0sh’s avatar

that’s a dead pixel.

17. yayo’s avatar

Thank You wololo!!!
    i’m glad to talk about your evolutions in Sony PS Vita: PS Vita Hack

18. raziel’s avatar

Cool..how about PSPdisp? Does it work ??

19. Kan'da’s avatar

Man, i just want that someone continue the job with snes9xtyl or the euphoria u.u….I want to play Starfox =D

20. Castle’s avatar

oh.. nice very nice.

21. Mansh’s avatar

I planned buying i touch instead of psv , looking at this awesome job by you I am now regretting… My iPod touch 2g 4.2.1 is in hackable.. I wish you make bbl for i.products also…

22. DeltaCactuar’s avatar

So, will we be able to see a signed version of HBL on the PSV. Y’know, so that we don’t have to use any specific game exploit or something.

Loved the signed version of HBL on my PSP-3000.

Keep up the good work! :)