HBL on the Vita, progress report

A quick report: I’m making some progress on porting HBL to the Vita. Although I’m sad to say that I can’t get syscall estimation to work, I got some major homebrews such as Doom to run already, so overall I think it’s in an acceptable shape. Because it is roughly stable now, today I focused on porting HBL to the EU version of the exploited game (I was working – obviously – on the Japanese version of the game so far). This went smoothly and I can confirm HBL runs fine on the EU version of the game, although of course I could only test on a PSP, not on a Vita.

I used the opportunity to refresh my two guides, how to write a binary loader and how to port HBL. The guides are now simplified, and the binary loader tutorial now has download links to the tools used in the examples.

Writing the first “usable” version of HBL for the patapon exploit took several developers and about 4 months. Thanks to the portability of HBL, bringing it to Teck4′s exploit took me only a few days. Adapting that to the EU version took a couple hours (including porting the exploit itself), so I am confident for the US version.

1. KID O’s avatar

Who exactly developed HBL and what was the percentage of thier contribution? (Not trying to be offensive or anything, just curious) :)

1. KID O’s avatar

Percentages, dumbass.

1. KID O’s avatar

Oh and have you ported those games off sourmath yet? (Ahahahaha, if you fell for it like I did; Oh man )

2. Renommon’s avatar

Vas avanzando pero no pongas juegos originales que sino no, no se podrá disfrutar en EU debido a la piratería.
    Mas bien solo poned hombrew hasta que pase unos años y luego ya podréis poner room de PS Vita

3. Renommon’s avatar

You put forward but not original games but no, you can enjoy in the United States due to piracy.
    Put Homebrew rather only to spend a few years and then now you can make room for PS Vita.

4. xerpi’s avatar

Your work is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

5. cscash241’s avatar

Good job wololo. Will there be a US port?

6. rafael707’s avatar

nice job wololo

@cscash, read the last part of the paragraph, wololo says hes confident, lets just hope the US game still has the same vulnerability

1. cscash241’s avatar

@rafael707 o thanks, if two versions of a game have a vulnerability then the third dose to 90% of the time

7. santos’s avatar

Thanks for the guides.

8. ???’s avatar

why don’t you try to run wagic (being able to run wagic and lamecraft in a PSV is enough for me)….

1. wololo’s avatar

In all honesty that’s because I knew that running Doom and an emulator would have more impact than running “regular” homebrews, but I’ll give them a try, of course :)

1. ???’s avatar

come to think of it…your right!!! running Doom on a newly released-partially hacked console has more impact,but for an emulator you should have run snes(I know you said picodrive is the easiest to port but snes has more impact)

and wagic and lamecraft is more than just “regular” homebrews!!:-)

9. KID O’s avatar

Wololo, what’s up my picture?

1. wololo’s avatar

You are using a fake email address, and you get the picture associated to that email address by the gravatar system.

1. KID O’s avatar

Ok. Why is it compulsary to input our email address anyway, shouldn’t it be optional for ‘obvious’ reasons?

1. wololo’s avatar

You don’t have to use your real email address, but then don’t complain that your avatar looks weird, that’s all I’m saying.

1. KID O’s avatar

You did not answer my question.

2. wololo’s avatar

KID O: It’s the default setting in wordpress, and I think it’s fine. Again, you don’t have to use your real email address, but at least if you keep it consistent you will always end up with the same avatar. Which, if you post relevant comments, can be a good thing for people to easily (visually) find your posts

3. KID O’s avatar

10. UraniumDude’s avatar

By any chance do you think Quake PSP would work?

11. fuck you’s avatar

Wagic on PS Vita, now!!!!

12. zeon’s avatar

What the fuck is Quake PSP?

1. TheDarkModder’s avatar

It’s the Game Quake by Id Sofware ported to the PSP

13. The25gamer’s avatar

Nice Job @Wololo. I was hopefully would test it as soon the system release in US.

14. rosael’s avatar

mvspsp(mvspsv),cps2psp(cps2psv)FBA; MAME. PLIS

15. Beavis’s avatar

Wololo you kick arse! Keep up the good work and thanks :)

16. paul’s avatar

Will the current psp emulators have improved performance? will they have access to any of the vita’s power?

1. wololo’s avatar

No, and no.

17. cscash241’s avatar

hey wololo is there any possibility of running xpe(windows ep embedded) on the vita through dos box?

18. santos’s avatar

The HBL for the vita has a h.bin file correct? Wondering how are we supposed to put that bin file in the root .. if don’t have access to mem card.

19. don17sch’s avatar

will T.O.M.E. be ported to the psv?

20. Drew’s avatar