The PS Vita is Doomed

A year and a half ago when I got Doom for PSP to run on the PSP Go, website hackaday noticed it and said “[being able to run Doom is] a prerequisite for any cracked device”. Some people try to run Linux on their hardware at all cost, I prefer Doom. Today I was able to tweak HBL a bit on the PS Vita to get Doom to run on it. Will I get hackaday’s attention this time too? :) That’s, hands down, the best fps available on the vita so far, check the video below!

We are aware that this hack will be easily patched by Sony, but we still plan to publicly release it some time soon after the US/EU release of the Vita (we still have to port HBL to the EU/US versions of the game but that shouldn’t have any difficulty). I also know that some devs are already working on solutions to make it “easier” for people who would want to stay on a low firmware. I wouldn’t be surprised to see unofficial patches to the CMA, to prevent it from connecting to the net.

Let me use the opportunity to remind that HBL is a collective work, it is open source (anybody with a PSVita, a PSP, and a game exploit in their possession could do what I’m doing here!), and I want to especially thank the major work of m0skit0 (the creator of HBL) and JJS (who brought it to the level it is today). I also want to remind pirates around us that HBL does not technically allow people to run backups, PSP or Vita. (My opinion on the subject does not matter, it is a technical limitation of the tool, and has nothing to do with ethics.)

Happy New Year :)

1. Medu’s avatar

Good Work man, it seems u are in the correct way ^^

2. ken’s avatar

Happy New Year!!! everyone.
    Wololo is having way too much fun with his psv, does he? ;-) Please spread the fun around. Will be looking forward to play Wagic .17 on the psvita.

3. cscash241’s avatar

glad to hear you are waiting for a us release of the vita, before ypu release the exploit. I am getting one on the us release first day.Happy new year. Thanks to all the hbl devs, hbl was what first got me into homebrew. I was amazed when it was first released(leaked ) at just the fact that i got an un offical game running

4. santos’s avatar

Nicely said wololo! I hope in the future we all can use HBL on our vita’s too :) and Happy New Year! Go and celebrate! :D

5. flayer’s avatar

Hackaday makes a good point, ive played doom on everything from a gameboy to an ipod classic. Anything is possible once you’ve played doom on a click wheel.

6. jlo138’s avatar

Will you still be able to stay on a lower firmware if you purchase a vita game and it forces an update? And also, what if that happens but the update automatically starts installing without your choice after trying to start this game? You insert the game, press run, and it says please wait while we update your device… With Sony, its likely to happen. If there is some workaround for this under wraps, then that’s cool. No need to mention it. I’ll be honest too… your psvita is doomed title got me for a second. Lol

And Happy New Years to everyone!

7. crazytomer3’s avatar

Good job Wololo or what ever ur name is on hbl, its good progress since the psvita is new after all.

8. dimy93’s avatar

Even with CMA hacked it’s still very easy for Sony to patch- just by removing the PSN game from the store.

1. wololo’s avatar

That’s correct. Even without that, they can force you to update your firmware if you want to access the PSN (and therefore the store to buy the game).

9. chapnis’s avatar

WO-LO-LO! WO-LO-LO! Wololo is the king.

10. UraniumDude’s avatar

Happy New Year!

11. Sandeshnep’s avatar

Lol ‘doomed’ is a funny way of putting it, nice one wololo

12. jvhellraiser’s avatar

as long you can make Snes Emulator Run
    i will be very happy,as i only play Snes
    backups as i do not like Genesis.

1. KID O’s avatar

Argh matey, so your are pirate aren’t you? (Seriously dude, you back up your own snes roms)

13. Gamerking’s avatar

Nice, in the begin of this Video show that the CPU of the VITA is a 999 mhz (1 Ghz) clock.. Very good… Somehow two times the iPad 2.

1. wololo’s avatar

No, it says 333mHz, which is the speed of the PSP (remember that this runs within the PSP emulator on the vita)

14. Ed’s avatar

Youre the king of vita… Please dont release your exploit until march ( for the Sony cannot patch this in europe psvita stoke)

15. trolllolololol’s avatar

^_^ ima getting ps vita on feb 15th every 1 add me

devices..
    psp 3000 like 3 or 4 gen 6.20 using some 1s downgraders and got pro-10 witch is hacked to the fullest

then about to be hacked ipod touch