Wagic 0.17 on its way

I hate vaporware and that’s why I usually don’t blog too much about an upcoming release in Wagic. But the last release (0.16) was such a long time ago that I don’t remember when it was, so I feel like I should mention the project is still very active and alive. Today I started the process for releasing Wagic 0.17. Now don’t jump around too soon. This process usually takes 3 or 4 weeks. We go through an alpha stage with the other devs, where we basically try to fix the most ugly bugs, before releasing a public beta. The beta usually lasts about a week, followed by the public release.

Wagic running on a Motorola Xoom

For those of you who still don’t know, Wagic is an heroic-fantasy strategy game, initially inspired by Magic the Gathering, which with time has evolved into a flexible system allowing players to create their own cards, campaigns, rules and mods. For Wagic 0.17, we’ve been mostly focusing on Android. This doesn’t mean that other platforms are not getting any update, but this basically explains why we haven’t done a release in a while. My goal for the Android version of Wagic was to come up with an entirely new game (by “new game”, I mean a mod that wouldn’t be MTG). We’re getting there, but it’s taking more time than I initially expected. In parallel, we also need to fix lots of UI issues on touch screens… As a result, Wagic for Android had been in a public “test release” for a few months now, and, since that release we’ve done lots of progress, but there’s still lots of work to do. Nevertheless, Android will also get a 0.17 release, just so that people can see the progress we’ve made in 3 months. It won’t be perfect, but I know you’ll forgive us :)

One of the cool avatars made by Ilya B. for Wagic

In parallel we are also making progress on the iOS port, but again we would love to get more iOS devs to help us. The iPhone/iPad port might not see the day of light until we get a few dedicated devs to help. As a reminder, Wagic on the iPhone/iPod/iPad is already fully functional, it’s just a matter of finding the right people to maintain it and fix the bugs. If you think you can help, grab the source, and send me an email

About the game itself, all platforms including our beloved PSP will get a bunch of new features and new cards. Wagic 0.17 will have about 400 600 new cards, including cards from the Innistrad set, and with it some new mechanics. The current Alpha I’m looking at already has more than 8500 cards 8700 cards, and hopefully we might add a few ones here and there. We’re also planning to (finally) add an undo feature to the game, although it’s not yet sure if it will make it to Wagic 0.17, since it’s quite experimental for now. One of the major changes for this version will not be visible to players, as we reworked the resource files in a system that will allow you, among other things, to have all your images in one single file instead of one file per set. This system should simplify the work for people who want to install new stuff in Wagic (cards, themes, campaigns, images, etc…). If I have enough time, this system will also allow me to distribute some additional themes, campaigns…directly from the download page.

Please be a bit more patient, we’re doing our best so that Wagic 0.17 reaches your PSP/Android/PC/… as soon as possible :)

In the meantime, you can still download Wagic 0.16 on the download page, and if you want to test it on Android, follow the instructions in this thread

1. Asmith906’s avatar

Have you ever considered making a video tutorial for the psp version. I want to play it but I always end confused with the ui. Granted its been a while since I played it.

1. A’s avatar

Good morning wololo, podria you do not go away in it, to put words or signs (to id=1-monster) or (id=1-1) and the resolution of the great images but

2. wololo’s avatar

Asmith906: that’s a great suggestion, I’ll try to do a video

2. vladimir’s avatar

thanks a lot.. public android version at last!! yahooo!

3. w7y7a7y7t’s avatar

Wow perfect timing,I just ordered an Android tablet a few days ago, should be here any day now

4. Pat’s avatar

Bonjour, et merci pour tout le travail effectué depuis le début.
    C’est très agréable d’y jouer sur PSP, et votre logiciel mériterait d’être dans le commerce !
    Merci encore et longue vie à votre Freeware !

5. dead_meat’s avatar

how about for the ds?

1. wololo’s avatar

The DS doesn’t have enough Ram to run Wagic (minimum requirement for an ok experience currently is 20MB, although 50MB is much better), and the screen system is “too” different. We would need to re-think the entire mechanism. I’ve seen some attempts recently on the DS, can’t remember the name of that homebrew…

6. svenn’s avatar

Damn this is one of the most active developed homebrews on psp and I don’t know how it works :(

Good thing for the fans, keep up the good work ;)

7. Ash’s avatar

hey wololo will u ever port this game to symbian^3? I’d love to see it there

1. wololo’s avatar

Our “ports” expert is Xaw Otihs. He’s already ported the game to QT, SDL, and through them, Android, Meego and Maemo. I would think a port to Symbian could be done “fairly easily”, but we need people with those devices to help on the development

1. xawotihs’s avatar

Yeah, I have the Qt port cross-compiled for Symbian^3, but I don’t have a device to try. I know that Nokia has an incredible remote device access program but I never found the time to try it… I might try it if I manage to sort the “undo” mess and I’m done with resources on Maemo and Meego.

8. wurm101’s avatar

i’ve been an avid fan of your website, everyday i always visit this site just to see if there is an update of wagic. FINALLY! after the long wait, 0.17 ohhh yeah! also got my android :D great job wololo and other devs! boooyah!

9. Conscience Butler’s avatar

Will you be included the 0.16 competition entries in this release and will we be able to use our existing image sets or will we have to repack them all?

1. wololo’s avatar

I will include the competition entries in a separate package I think.
      And yes, you will be able to use your existing image sets. I think the new system will overall be more convenient and that people will quickly migrate to it though ;)

10. alexthealligator’s avatar

nice update. :)

11. iSWORD’s avatar

Wagic will be the first app I’m gonna install on my Android device when I buy one! :)
    I love your work, great Wololo!

12. cscash241’s avatar

I might be able to help with the iOS port, what software was used to make it? if It was done in flash (you can now make iOS apps with adobe flash pro) then I can help. If you need a mac, I will see about hackintoshing my laptop or running osx on a VM

1. wololo’s avatar

You’ve asked me countless times what Wagic was programmed with. Instead of asking, you can check the sources directly ;)
      Your help is appreciated of course, but I don’t trust people who say “I can help”. I trust people who say “here is a patch”.

Wagic is programmed in C++ mostly, with a glue-layer in objective-C for iOS

13. Ash’s avatar

well i got a nokia C7 i can help in testing if u want ofc to port wagic to symbian^3

14. Jorge’s avatar

Bom tentei inúmeras vezes jogar multiplayer e não achei Como jogar creio eu que não tem modo multiplayer se não tiver poderia pensar em fazer assim podendo jogar com 2 plataformas PSP em Rede e se tiver como jogar multiplayer por favor Me ajude a conseguir !!!
    Jogo magic a mais de 10 anos e ultimamente estou sem dinheiro para comprar cartas então adorei esse jogo Valeu por ter desenvolvido !!!!

15. steven’s avatar

that is great news for today, i just wonder if the Planeswalker cards inculde in the new version? thanks a lot!