The real price of the PS Vita

Advertising seen today in the Tokyo train

If I believe the poll we made last month, a good half of the readers of this blog plan to buy a PS Vita as their next portable device. This led me to question my own plans of not buying one… I must admit the recent hacking news from SKFU get me itching to try and see what’s inside the beast (can we run Wagic on the Vita? :) )

So I’ve considered the price of the PS Vita, which should be around 25’000 yen (350$) when it’s out, for the wifi-only version. Of course, for now, some leechers are selling it about 31’000 yen (400$) as major retailers are out of stock. And I expect the prices to increase as we approach the release date. But let’s assume people will be patient and will wait for the price to go back to 25’000.

To this, the player must add the price of at least one game (Uncharted and other launch titles are announced for 6000 yen – 80$), and one of the new proprietary memory cards: 3200 yen for a 8GB, or 5500 for a 16GB… from my memories, buying the smallest memory stick for the PSP – 32MB at the time – was the worst possible move one could do when I got my first PSP (had to buy a 512MB card a few weeks afterwards). So, as history repeats itself, I’m assuming the 8GB might be not enough if you plan to store lots of music,a few movies and games in there…

But let’s assume that’s what one would get. (My understanding is that using the Vita without one of those memory cards is pretty much useless). So, the entry price for a Vita with a game and the compulsory memory card is 34200 yen (450$). That’s less than the introduction price of the PS3, but still a huge amount in my opinion, especially for the “base” settings… Of course, if you want to go full steam, you’ll get 2 games at 6000 yen each, a 16GB card for 5500 yen, the 3G Model for 30’000, and a “3G coupon” for 1000 yen, which will bump the price of your Vita to 48500 yen: 625$. Yuck…

1. PS VITA ALL THE WAY’s avatar

i know w all are really pissssssssssed !!!

1. Danachilles’s avatar

D price i guess is a bit too high bt no offence.afterall it aint a do or die affair.i’d rather till its dropped drastically lolz.

2. PS VITA ALL THE WAY’s avatar

sorry we not w

3. sony can kiss my ass’s avatar

why does the release of the PSV remind me of this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ

1. wololo’s avatar

Haha, I love this :D

4. Lawfer’s avatar

What really pisses me off is that Sony will get to win because lots of people will be blind enough to buy their products with this price system.

I don’t want companies like Sony to go out of bussines and never was particullary mad about them, but now I want them to respect us and release some really good gadgets with normal prices. This time I want Sony to be screwed for this price plan.

People: DON’T BUY THIS! So they have to drop the price or release something better, and realize they cannot f*ck with costumers.

And shame on you Wololo for atleast thinking about buying a Vita. Aren’t you supposed to be on a “boycot” against Sony for the sake of certain as*hole? I know it from the begining, you always go against Sony but in the end you will be buying their sh*t like everyone else.

1. wololo’s avatar

Hey Lawfer… for now I haven’t bought it, so don’t insult me yet. However the insults are well deserved, 6 months ago I could swear I wouldn’t buy this product.
      What has changed for me is that more than half of the readers of this blog will have a PS Vita by June 2012, and I will need to know what I’m talking about.
      More than the product, I love the community we’ve built here and at /talk, and I want to follow the path taken by the majority.

I am also worried that next-gen models/firmwares will have more security, like it’s usually the case.

Now, there are discussions on how to get the product without being too nice to Sony. I can get it refurbished, etc…

1. Lawfer’s avatar

Ok, sorry. I went a little overboard here. But if someone like you ends buying this… then it feels like Sony can continue screwing people worse and worse.

That “more than half” of your blog readers should know better than giving money to Sony so blindly. I’m sure they will be regreting buying a Vita at launch like this.

Not buying will make Sony to take desperate measures and that will be a good lesson to them. If there is other options that will let Sony with no gain. Count me in.

2. Buchan’s avatar

Stop being cheap if you don’t want it fine don’t buy it but don’t bash those who want to buy it just so they’ll wait and you get it cheaper

1. Lawfer’s avatar

If everyone waits, everyone wins and Sony will learn a sweet lesson. But people like you are so hyped that It’s so sad to watch.

Tools like you are the reason companies release overpriced gadgets that have little to no improvements.

Good luck buying the Vita and then coming here crying/demanding for a hack. Probably you are a spoiled child with retarded parents.

2. Lawfer’s avatar

I dont want a price drop for me, I have already decided to wait for the inevitable Vita2000 or something like that. Same with the 3DS.

5. Jurian’s avatar

for the US, the wifi only version is $250, 3g is $300. For memory cards it will be 4gb for $30, 8gb for $45, 16gb for $70, and 32gb for $120. And the first edition bundle (which i believe comes with a game and a 4gb memory card) is $350.

1. Jurian’s avatar

and the psp2(I refuse to call it by it’s retardedly given name)games seem to run $40 here in the us.

6. alexthealligator’s avatar

The memory sticks are too expensive! why does sony always make custom formats that NEVER succeed, like the UMD, the psp ms pro duo (which can be used with some cameras), mini disc. wtf. and 8 gb memory card costs $41? since we HAVE to buy one of these, the total cost in us is abt $300! without a game! I could get an awesome 8gb card in other formats for 10 bucks. I dont know what sony is thinking!

1. wala’s avatar

so that the only product you gonna buy will be their product.

7. svenn’s avatar

I’d never said I’d boycot Sony. I just tend to stay with my logic. A console that is gone be outdated before a decent game is made for it, isn’t worth 300 euro.

Moreover a console with 3G support and no texting ? something when wrong there.

8. crookedmouth’s avatar

I’ll probably get one in 4-5 years. I always stay around 5 years behind on tech and it works well for me.

Hey wololo, maybe Sony will send you one because your a developer? :P

9. WilliamBMX’s avatar

I live in Brazil and here the same PsVita officially will cost R(REAIS)$ 1,999.99 for our beloved Sony! Importing should cost R$ 700 / R$ 800, the fault of the huge interest that we Brazilians are used to paying! Of course I’ll have to import it, even losing the guarantees that the Sony BR NEEDED!

10. Mathieu’s avatar

Come on guys, we will ALL buy the PsVita… whatever the price, stop kidding yourself.

I was lucky enough to try the Vita for 25 minutes at the Parisgamesweek back in October and it kicks arse.

I’ll get the Vita as soon as it’s out in France :)

11. Asmith906’s avatar

Well for me the price would be
    $250 -vita
    $29.99 memory card
    39.99 game

So my base cost is $320

My cost with the 3ds was
    $250-3ds
    $39.99 for game

So my cost was $290

A $30 difference for increased hardware isnt that bad.so I think the price is sort of exaggerated to some extinct. Not that I don’t have my problems with Sony on vita

No ps1 game support
    Only supports psp games on store
    No third party memory cards
    No mass storage support for USB
    Needs to use an iTunes like program to copy stuff to it
    No remote play for all games so most likely won’t have much support
    No flash
    No support for psn games
    No pis2 classics support.
    Etc.

12. Buchan’s avatar

I don’t care what anyone says unless you have tried it don’t complain about sony’s price it seems worth the price, I am getting the 3g version with a 32gb mc and strter kit and its only 425$ to me thats not bad at all. And the Vita has support for psn games so until I get any actual vita games I can use my old ones.I support sony and those who are gonna complain about their price than go to xbox or nintendo your not forced to buy sony, and dont ask others to wait just so you can get it cheaper.

1. flayer’s avatar

i dont know at least to me $425 is pretty bad for a portable game console considering a ps3 is like $250. wait a few months and sony will drop the price just like nintendo did to the 3ds. and microsoft is kind of out of the option here i mean a portable xbox would be awesome but i dont see it happening any time soon.

2. Lawfer’s avatar

425$ for a handheld… That’s pretty retarded of you.

13. flayer’s avatar

Haha sucks for you guys in the US they’re only $250 for wifi or $300 for 3g. Games are $40 each and im positive some third party company will make a micro sd adapter.

1. Lawfer’s avatar

Sorry to burst your bubble, but a MicroSD adapter will never happen. The Vita memory cards are as big a MicroSD.

14. raziel’s avatar

I think we should not buy it early, so that Sony will hav to drop the price