PS Vita .pkg xTractor 1.00 and PS Vita Firmware xTractor 2.00 released by SKFU

This is getting really really interesting… developer SKFU, who released a simple Firmware tool for the PS Vita a few days ago, updated it to version 2.0. This new version now supports all existing Vita firmwares (again, this is interesting only for the lucky among us who already have access to those files) and gives information about the extracted firmware, so it probably now does more than version 1.0, which would basically slice any file into smaller chunks.

But, even more interesting, is his latest application, PS Vita .pkg xTractor, SKFU says he his now able to extract and decrypt game packages from the PS Vita.

Now don’t get all high and start asking for an iso loader, for a console that is not out yet (Apparently, given SKFU’s latest post, he’s already the target of pirates-wannabee). In essence, that’s what this kind of research could lead to in a distant future, but for now it’s all fun, harmless research, and about understanding the Vita internals. SKFU strongly hints that the AES encryption key used for the Vita games is currently the same as for the PSP .pkg files (errr… ok, I’m lost here, I thought I was fairly knowledgeable about the PSP, what’s a psp .pkg file?), and that basically we can already decrypt those files. Was Sony that careless? Will they have time to fix that before the Japanese release in 2 weeks? Probably not. This makes the “release day” PS Vita models more and more interesting to buy.

Icing on the cake, SKFU provide some early information about the Vita games internals, as described in the image below, and a wiki has been opened for devs

Source: SKFU’s blog

Downloads

Important: I haven’t tested those tools personally, however SKFU is a known dev from the PS3 scene, so I believe these tools are legit

PS Vita Firmware xTractor can be downloaded here

PS Vita .pkg xTractor can be downloaded here

1. WilliamBMX’s avatar

SHOW!!!

2. Lawfer’s avatar

I have heard today the prices of the vita propietary memory cards and they are outrageous.

I really hope all this research goes well and sony get to be screwed at the vita launch. THEY DESERVE IT.

1. Lawfer’s avatar

BTW, I was one of the people who used to defend sony, at the point I never agreed with wololos sony-hating posts.

But with all the bad news about the vita, things have changed and now they really deserve to be hated.

3. coyotebean’s avatar

.pkg is the file received from from PSN when you download. Mathieulh released the PSP PS3 PKG Extractor source and binary a while back to extract files from the pkg files.

1. wololo’s avatar

Thanks. I could swear the files I downloaded on my PSP from the PSN are EBOOT files, but I’ll check again :)

1. 指纹’s avatar

I bought some games on PSN by using others’account on the Internet,they sold me the games in a cheaper price.The games were firstly downloaded in .pkg files on my pc,and then I installed the pkg files into my PSP by clicking small files(<1k) they transfered to me so that my PSP was related to their accounts and can play the games legally.The installed files into my psp were EBOOT though.

4. jlo138’s avatar

Mine were eboot. I know this because I backed up all my psn games and license codes to an external hdd. I know psn won’t have my purchases stored forever…

5. jake’s avatar

why would he release this before the vita even comes out?

6. xiao xiong’s avatar