Playstation Suite, the SDK that will save Playstation?

A few days ago, Sony started a closed Beta test of their Playstation Suite SDK, a tool allowing to create games for the PS Vita and Android. Registration is open to everybody, including (especially?) homebrew devs.

Those of you who have been following my blog for a while know that I’m in the whole “hacking” stuff for one simple reason: my mind refuses to understand that some great hardware is crippled by bad business decisions. In the case of the PSP, that device had everything to become the best platform for emulators and indie apps, but Sony locked the PSP, and made sure indie devs couldn’t join the fun with a prohibitive entry price (dev kits cost 1500$ initially, and you had to prove you were a respectable company, sign an NDA, before being able to get access).

History, helped by Apple and Google, proved that locking indie devs out of their ecosystem was one of Sony’s biggest mistakes in the past years. They tried to fix it with the Playstation Minis, but it was too late.

Xperia Play, the PS Vita, as well as their new series of tablets bring Sony an opportunity to right this. Sony is now trying to solve the issue of device fragmentation (Android devs know too well about this issue) with a system called the Playstation Suite, which is more or less a virtual machine that will enable developers to create a game once, and run it on several platforms (for now, the PS Vita, Sony’s Android tablets, and the Xperia play, but depending on success, other non-Sony Android tablets/phones, and maybe the PS3, might join the fun).

We’ve heard of the Playstation suite before, but a “recent” (I’m kinda late on this one) technical presentation in October gave lots of details on what it’s going to be. The presentation explains it in details, but the things that got my attention are:

• No painful joining process. Homebrew/indie developers as well as companies are welcome, no NDA
  • Small entry fee (not announced)
  • Open forums for code discussion and sharing
  • PC emulator to test the code
  • No need to sign the content in order to test it (this one is fishy…does it mean we can distribute our content outside of the Sony store if we feel like it, just like on Android?)
  • C#, running in a Mono virtual machine

So, it looks like Sony is finally trying to embrace the homebrew community here, by providing something that will be close to what google Market or the Apple AppStore have for devs. Yet it’s Sony, I can’t help but feel that there will be too much restrictions one way or another… and with their past, it’s difficult to trust Sony when they say “we love indie devs”. What do you guys think?

Nevertheless, this sounds like a wise move, the Vita will be only one device among others, but Sony can leverage their existing game library on many devices, and it could be that the paystation suite will become their strongest asset in the mobile market.

For those of you who are interested, a closed beta has started a few days ago. Anybody can register, but not everybody will be accepted. To me, if Sony does things correctly, they could become “again” one of the major actors of mobile gaming.

1. The dude that is not sure’s avatar

weird…very weird.it is exactly what you say wololo.they want to ‘open’ the devices.What they did on the psp was very bad…bad thank god we have(and had)people like tn,dax,coldbird.
    I will be honest with ya…if i can develop homebrews for the ps vita i will get it right away.because this is great.i never actually coded a game.i started with lua but i never actually completed my game.oh well this “suite” seems very nice.

2. Lemon’s avatar

Still waiting for a 3k unbricker…

3. cure’s avatar

we just wait how sony accept indie devs. Just Like wololo said anybody can register but not everybody wil be accepted.

4. sandeshnep’s avatar

i dont think they’ll accept homebrew devs haha

5. ken’s avatar

Thanks Wololo for keeping us updated. I’ll be getting the PSV when it can run homebrew or android apps, or else it will forever be staying on my wishlist.

6. NLion’s avatar

The problem I see is that is a virtual machine, let see how much access to the hardware we get, like on PS3 linux, you couldn’t access the full graphic power of the hardware. Ideally one should have complete hardware access, If I want to use bluetooth, wifi, graphics, touchscreen/pad at the same time, I should be able to. And that sony doesn’t veto apps, what if I want a ssh/remote desktop/vnc client, that would help me a lot when on the go. Music players that can play ALL formats, flac, ape, ogg, etc.

7. Asmith906’s avatar

Hope people will wait and see before harshly judging Sony. Considering the crap pulled with the 3ds I’m hoping the vita doesn’t have too many flaws.

8. Coldhird’s avatar

I saw the presentation and the lack of information in it was disturbing.
    I believe it once I see it. But if they really do this without forcing you to release it on Psn only, then Im buying a Vita next day.

9. nakano’s avatar

I also saw the presentation on Youtube. Sadly, the beta registration is only available in US, UK and Japan, otherwise I would be interested in trying.

10. Daniel’s avatar

If they could assemble something that would allow you to build apps or games.. but have maybe dual sets of keys.. one that allows third party installs at your own risk.. and then another that keeps replication of published games from being pirated, I would be for that entirely.. and if they made this compatible for xperia, vita, sony tab, and upcoming ps3 fw’s.. maybe add OtherOS back and an Install Pkg menu on all these systems.. Then the SDK being able to sign our homebrew apps for the app installer on all these devices. It would be great.. I’d like to see an otherOS port on the vita where you could dual boot Android as well. that would be awesome!!

11. vinay mehra’s avatar

what is the psp cost

12. vinay mehra’s avatar

wooooooooooooooooooooo

13. palace de luxe a marrakech’s avatar

Greetings from Florida! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the knowledge you present here and can’t wait to take a look
    when I get home. I’m amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI,
    just 3G .. Anyhow, very good blog!