“PSP Street”: Sony announces a new PSP at 99 Euro

A few hours ago at Gamescon, Sony announced a new PSP model for Europe customers, codenamed “E-1000″, which will be sold for exactly 99 euro.

Although the price cut sounds nice, this new model loses the Wifi, which to some players was an essential feature of the previous models. I’ve seen lots of people using the Wifi features here in Japan, but it is probable that Sony did a market study and realized Wifi was the best thing to remove in Europe to cut the price.

Some stores announce a release date of end of October (October 26th), under the name “PSP Street“, probably in reference to the lack of wifi (if you use the device outside of your home, which is probably a major use case for a portable console, there’s a high chance you don’t have access to a wifi spot).

This very competitive price makes the PSP a good choice for people who won’t want to spend 300 euro on the PS Vita (scheduled in Europe for early next year).

Is it really a good deal?

This looks like a good marketing move to target “super-late” adopters and fill the gap until the PS Vita comes out, but let’s mention however that the PSP Go can easily be found for a similar price in many stores in Europe. The PSP Go is more compact (which means a slightly smaller screen, but also that it actually fits in a pocket), and has 16GB embedded memory ( if the PSP Street has no embedded memory, it will cost you 50 euro to get the equivalent on a memory stick…), bluetooth, Wifi, and an integrated microphone to use with skype.

But the good point of the E-1000 over the PSP Go is UMD support, and this is in line with the price cut: UMD games can now be found used or new at very low prices, unlike their digital counterparts (/irony/ ’cause, you know, with all the distribution prices involved with digital products, it’s perfectly normal that digital goods are more expensive than physical ones…). So again, people who will want to benefit the PSP’s second life will probably like this product… but I’d still personally recommend to get a psp go instead.

I’d actually recommend to get a psp go and an old psp 1000. Use the PSP 1000 to rip your UMDs and play them on your psp go :) This way you get both the cheap prices of UMDs and the qualities of the PSP Go.

1. AleX’s avatar

The way I see it, just buy the UMDs and then download the ISOs. I see no problem with downloading a backup of what you already own, even if you can’t really use the UMDs ;)

1. wololo’s avatar

Technically I agree, but legally those are different, especially on p2p systems, where on top of downloading something, you’re also sharing it with other people (which the game license does not allow you to do).
      Note that legally, ripping a UMD is bypassing a DRM, which is alsio illegal in many countries, but we have yet to see somebody being charged for ripping a DVD or a game they own. The same cannot be said for people who downloaded stuff.

2. (|EcLiPsE|)’s avatar

I’s a good point, i have 12 UMD’s and just put half of the on the psp memory will help you to carry less, but my psp umd’s got broken (i think is because the sensor that detect if the umd is in it’s place) by my sister.

2. Zen’s avatar

I am really excited for this to release in NA. I think it would be a worth of purchase considering that it will run LCFW, ofcourse. :D The design is just awesome, imo. PSP Go is another choice but I am more impress with larger screens :D

1. Shinny’s avatar

You think Sony is that stupid.. i bet they put a better motherboard and im sure itl block LCFW… im not going to buy this..
      1)Lack of wi-fi
      2)No one sure if it will run a hen , CFW
      3)you can buy a go for the same price..

1. Zen’s avatar

I don’t think they would invest more into it. The cheaper price said so. If they put new motherboard inside then that’s another investment which I don’t they will do. The stuff inside might be the same but who knows. Perhaps, Sony just make this in attempt to boost sales. I don’t think its made to stop piracy or the likes. If it does then that is kinda stupid and doesn’t make sense at all lol.

1. Shinny’s avatar

well i some parts you are right… but i think that sony is trying to get rid of old PSP parts by puting them in to a new consol… oohh yeah it only has 16MB ram than again still not clear..

2. Mean_Able’s avatar

There is a video showing us a homebrew (signed) on the new E-1000.

3. j’s avatar

@wololo how much the pspgo in japan

4. Shadar’s avatar

in Europa for 130€ you have Wifi and UMD’s support with the PSP 3000… and the PSP GO looks so cheap :(

5. thorwak’s avatar

Err.. NO WIFI? As in no playing together/against friends/spouse/children/etc on another unit? EVER? Yeah I’ll run and buy a bunch right away! Ah right, no point, since they couldn’t connect to each other anyway! (I’m sure there will be USB hacks etc but that’s besides the point)

Sony, what were you thinking??

6. Noisyfox’s avatar

If it doesn’t has wifi support, how does it support Ad-Hoc mode? Does it mean e1000 can’t play multiplayer game?

7. mr-crazy’s avatar

thats why there was a 11g support in 6.60

8. mr-crazy’s avatar

thats why there was a 11g support for 6.60

9. origamiNINJA’s avatar

no brightness or music note buttons? lol i own a psp go a psp 1000 and a 3000 and i play with the wifi ALL THE TIME with freinds, brother, and other people. this is the LAST psp? thats sort of disapointing…

10. origamiNINJA’s avatar

only one speaker? and no power memory stick leds?

11. KR4T05’s avatar

This is CRAPware……

12. hellspain’s avatar

I don’t think this would be a good move for sony. Of course 99 Euros sounds good for a PSP but wifi is necesary if you want to play with your friends

1. nathan’s avatar

it is really rubbish if i was going to have i would not reccomend it

13. ken’s avatar

Is that the actual/official/finalized design? It only have one speaker?! It looks really nice in all black though. But… I think I’ll just spend more on a vita;)

14. origamiNINJA’s avatar

i agree with ken

15. Norml’s avatar

Sony sure loves to downgrade, their marketing is great. “Pay the same for less!”

16. Abdullah’s avatar

So the PSP E-1000 will run firmware 6.50 on it. Some1′s kernel exploit could still have a chance to work on it.

17. parkerfly’s avatar

late adopters? its like bringing out a vhs player for those who wasn’t able to get/use one? there’s no umd games coming out. games are on PSN. no wifi wouldn’t make any sense.

Here’s a theory that would make sense.

this is just a way of sony to be able to dispose of the umd laser parts that they have. if it goes obsolete then they gonna have a storage full of umd laser parts and nothing to put them on. the number of e1000 to be produced will be the number of umd laser parts inventory.

I dont believe that the majority don’t use wifi in europe.

that is just a lame excuse to get rid of surplus parts.

Uh..Uhm… yes Sony… I can see right through you. sooooooo lame!

1. PSLover14’s avatar

Um, have u heard of Media Go on PC?

18. Pryer’s avatar

Now it’s confirm that PSP Dev is going to be carried on and game release also :)

19. Abdullah’s avatar

Woah. hellcat tried out a kernel exploit on the PSP-E1000 and it worked! On twitter.

20. Ricardo’s avatar

now, the psp 3000 in france is 99€ o_O

21. John’s avatar

I agree with Wololo: there’s no reason to get this over getting a psp phat and a go so you can rip your umds and play them.

I’m a staunch defender of the pspgo though, I think it has only advantages over the other models, and the lack of UMD isn’t an issue if you just rip them on a phat. I like my portable devices to be portable, and no other model of the PSP is. Unless by “portable” you mean something so large that’s bigger than your pocket.

22. iSWORD’s avatar

99 euro is 6700 SP and that’s not too much! :D

23. Joe’s avatar

I love my psp go, but only since HBL.

As a commercial product its a complete failure and a rip off, but as a homebrew user, its the best and most portable model.

Regardless this model is another not-so-wise decision for SCE, since so many fully featured units have permeated the second-hand market, and the complete lack of upcoming games. I guess its the “send off” Sony gives every platform, like the PSOne(the little tiny one) and the slim PS2.

24. StriderHien’s avatar

being european i know not many play together with wifi but… in case you want to? i’d rather get the possibility to play with friends…

25. AXAz0r’s avatar

@wololo not to be a obvious question maker, but, what are you going to do now, i remember where you posted tons of stuff, will wololo.net be at a “pause” during the time until a hack for PSVita shows up ?

26. manos’s avatar

I WANT ONE !! :>

27. psp’s avatar

Durn i bricked my psp 3001

28. Herpittyderpherp’s avatar

I bought myself one for christmass.
    It’s actually REALLY nice.
    And once you own a game and put it on the sd
    its verry worth it,coz it loads verry fast.
    And the design is awesome.
    Fuck The brightness and Note button.
    They’re lame.

29. Herpittyderpherp’s avatar

And mine runs on 6.60.In 2 mins i got pro b-10 working on it,
    and it can run anything :3

30. NUM NUTS’s avatar

HOW DO U TURN ON WLAN AHHHH I DON’T KNOW HOW

1. PSLover14’s avatar

You can’t.

31. NUM NUTS’s avatar

OK NEVER GET ONE OF THESE PSP’S THEY ARE SHIT THE MAIN THING ON A PSP IS THAT YOU CAN GO ON THE INTERNET BUT WITH LUMP OF SHIT YOU CANT @!!!

32. mubeen’s avatar

i have it

1. mash’s avatar

i bought one not realising that it did not have wifi but i needed to get a psp so bad i just stuck with it coz it came with two free titles i have to say it grew on me and the screen is a bit bigger and a bit brighter and since its sort of a mission to get people to play with where im from it does the job well which is keeping gaming on the go

33. Anonymous’s avatar

its actually pretty cul if you jus wanna use it on the go get it foolio.

34. PSLover14’s avatar

I have one, and the new PRO-6.60C picks it up as a PSP E-1000, not a unknown model 11g

35. m.ali’s avatar

i like this psp<3 i am buy the sony psp it is very good technology but there no internet koti dy bacho internet poy

36. athmane’s avatar

bonjour tout le monde je voudrais les mises à jour des consoles de jeux sony….psp street e1004cb-psp vitae-xbox360.v3.0 play2-play3 thank you