Pro CFW B6 released, going open source, and compatible with Firmware 6.39
Developers Coldbird and Virtuous Flame are now delivering their baby to the world of developers (and users!), by delivering their last update, a few hours before the deadline of the Genesis competition. Talk about cliffhangers
Coldbird just announced that the Pro CFW is now going open source, and on top of that is now becoming compatible with firmware 6.39. You can now choose if you want to install this CFW on your OFW 6.20, 6.35, or 6.39. And we all like to have the choice.
If you don’t know what Pro CFW is yet, here’s what their google code page has to say about it:
- Homebrew Compatible – Run your own unsigned applications, both user and kernel mode.
- Plugin Compatible – Add new features to your PSP via kernel mode background plugins.
- ISO / CSO Game Dump Playback – Backup your own UMD discs via USB and play them from Flash Storage.
- 2g+ Memory Range Unlock – Use the previously locked RAM range within your own homebrews.
- NODRM Engine – Use your bought DLCs, no matter on which PSN account you are currently logged in.
- PSX Emulator Unlock – Play your PSX classics, yes – all of them. Not just PSN titles.
- And a lot more…
About Open Source
In a private discussion, I shared my concerns with open sourcing Pro CFW. It is sure great that many devs can now contribute to a common project, but there is still the fear that some stealers will use the source in their own project. I use the opportunity to remind people who would like to benefit from this project without giving back, that pro CFW is released under the GPL License. If you re-use their code for your own CFW, you have to release the source of your CFW as well.
Hopefully this is the first step of something great for the PSP scene. As Coldbird told me, “Let’s hope this will lead to something similar to the cyanogenmod community on android”
All 3 versions (6.20, 6.35, 6.39) as well as the GPL source code can be downloaded from the project’s page here
Living outside of the US? Check our technique to buy US PSN Codes at face value and get them instantly