Announcing the PSP Genesis competition 2011

Sony has been slowing down on new releases for the PSP1 in Q4 2010, and announced the NGP a few days ago.

But the PSP’s not dead.

Since its release in 2004, more than 60 millions of PSPs have been sold, and hundreds of thousands of players around the world enjoy homebrews on a daily basis. The scene has never been so alive, with HBL in 2010, and now the HEN for 6.20 and 6.35, or the recent possibility to run our homebrews on all PSPs without hacking them.

So before we kiss the PSP1 goodbye, and start moving on to the next generation, we want to go with a bang. The PSP underground is more alive than ever, and respected scener npt is proving it by organizing the biggest PSP homebrew competition ever, the PSP Genesis Competition. By “biggest” I mean that the prizes are going to be massive. I can’t reveal much for now, but I’m glad to announce that not only will I be a judge in this contest, wololo.net will be a sponsor and add a bonus prize of 100$ that will go to my favorite entry. Just know that this 100$ prize will only be a tiny fraction of the total prizes in this competition.

We are currently finalizing the rules and prizes, as well as looking for additional sponsors who might want to add their own contribution to this contest, but I’ll have more information in a few weeks.

If you are a homebrew programmer and are thinking of starting on a new project, or finalizing some work in progress, now’s the good time to go full steam. We’ll give programmers enough time to submit something good, but I suggest you start now. Full information, including submissions rules, will be announced in a few weeks.

Thought the PSP scene was dead? We will prove that 2011 is the year the PSP scene was reborn. Get ready to submit your best homebrews for the PSP Genesis Compo!

1. maziah miranda’s avatar

hey wololo does that mean youre going to stop developing for the psp after this?.will you move on to the ngp? will they still be psp hackers? aplologies for all the stuid questions

2. mud’s avatar

So does this mean no more PSP OFW updates?

@Wololo.
    Hey with GeoHots homebrew hack for the PS3 released weeks ago, do you have any plains of porting Wagic To the PS3?

Thanks!

1. james1552’s avatar

I agree

The homebrew scene sucks for PS3 :(

Though the hack was released only like a few weeks ago, and before that, no one was interested in what CFW’s did exist for PS3.

3. andrewb23’s avatar

this is great, psp scene has never been more alive!!!!

4. halo’s avatar

exactly we re couting on you for the ngp….
    if its worth to be hacked XDD
    and thanks to you for making me happy playing psp. for giving me iformation about the new things going on in the scene, tank you for hbl … my first hack on my psp and thank you for being wololo :3
    but i have a question. i am playing with the thougt to make an siple homebrew for my psp … (my programming skills are really bad but a simple programm i can make XD). in which programming language do i have to do it ? and do i need some kind of linux emulators ??
    omg sooo many letters combined with bad english… shame on my english teachers XD
    Liebe grüße ;P

5. shien’s avatar

wowowowowowow no!
    before saying good bye to the psp by the last homebrew competition 1 thing is still waited: the tn-hen D allowing pops.

6. areilly111’s avatar

beast this is going to be so fun and cool

7. JuNyA8971’s avatar

Awesome to hear there is a BIG competition going happen! Wow, is all I can say! Wish I was a programmer or coder, I would definitely enter! Good luck to all entering and looking forward to it!

8. akai1987’s avatar

I hope someone will develop a Visual Boy Advance for PSP1. If a Nintendo DS emulator is made, the better. The best part is, the prizes will go to the deserving winners.

1. Salty’s avatar

There’s already a GBA emulator for the psp. Search for gpsp.

2. Salty’s avatar

There’s already a GBA emulator for the psp. Search for gpsp..

9. JordyVision’s avatar

This is great!

I’d love to manage a project in this compo, it’s what I’m good at including brewing-up ideas. But I have no skills in programming. I’m definitely keeping an eye on this to see where some programmers are going and maybe help out some of the teams/coders.

I don’t even care about the prize, I just want to build an epic piece of homebrew. ^_^

10. MitMakis’s avatar

Aw. Im no developer unfortunately. Oh well.

11. olegv11’s avatar

You’re talking as if PSP is already half-dead. I’m sure that there’ll be the same thing like it was with PS2 and PS3 (I mean the majority will stay with PSP for, maybem 2 or 3 years and buy NGP only then. Hell, I still didn’t play all PS2 games that I wanted to!) And I’m sure that “NGP will have no gaems, only movies”.

12. EvilClown007’s avatar

That’s great news! Good luck to all the developers.

13. eagle’s avatar

@olegv11 ps3 games can be ported to psp ngp so yeah.

14. Andrew’s avatar

finally, an excuse to dig up my half-dead project and complete it :P

15. Dallox’s avatar

I might join with phase or a Amnesia clone. lol

16. shadowhunter’s avatar

the last thing im waiting for the psp is a tubeplayer for ofw but not even in great era of the psp occur so im crossing my fingers for at least they do this before stopping the development of the psp

17. sandesh’s avatar

You guys SAVED the psp scene. THANK YOU!

18. joejoejoe’s avatar

It would be awesome if the day before the NGP came out, a CFW was released for all PSP’s
    End with a bang :D

19. asyllum’s avatar

will tn-? hen keep on updating or is psp= RIP for good? i hope all Devs dont transfer to the npg psp2.

20. ololow’s avatar

I want all entries to be released and tested by us! yey that will be cool!

21. fishy’s avatar

Calling this the Genesis competition may be confusing as people might think it is about the Sega Genesis. Sorry to be a Debbie downer. Actually, I’m quite excited for this. I wonder if there’s any good “training wheels” dev-kits out there :D

1. cmbeke’s avatar

you can always use lua :)

22. w7y7a7t7t’s avatar

@wololo since your a judge, can i assume you won’t be participating?

1. wololo’s avatar

We agreed of some rules with the other judges, basically if any of us participates, it will be made under a different nickname so that other judges don’t get influenced, but this is just something we discussed quickly and this rule is still not finalized.

That being said, I have no homebrew project for now, so I have no current plan to participate.

23. aceofspace’s avatar

Oh snap. I guess everyone should start buying that BIG sized memorystick because, all the homwbrews for the contest are gonna be BIG. @Wololo, what do you mean by “We will prove that 2011 is the year the PSP scene was reborn.” Do you think the PSP3000 and PSPGo will also have the Permanent CFW unlocked?

24. Asyllum’s avatar

@aceofspace i hope so, a Permanent CFW for 6.20+ on 3k and go models would be BAEST! with the <——- A missplaced

@Wololo what are your plans after this competition? are you going to move on to psp2?

1. aceofspace’s avatar

Yea which one is better?
      The best homebrew game for PSP or a permanent CFW for the PSP3000 and Go models?

25. asmith906’s avatar

anybody heard anything about tn-d got the urge to play legend of dragoon on my psp go.

26. angel of darkness’s avatar

does my permanent cfw for 3000s and 2000 (unhackable) count as homebrew

1. Nickolas’s avatar

The “permanent CFW for 3000 and Go PSP Models (or the unhackable 2000)” has been discused like 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000
      times! It isn’t possible!! Please stop spreading fake rumors.

1. lostarot’s avatar

LOL. you fell for it.. sure it counts, you will be a guaranteed winner then no questions asked..

27. angel of darkness’s avatar

cuz if it does im going to realese it but im not sure if it does count as hombrew cuz its a reconstructed version of ofw @wololo help!!!!!!

1. aceofspace’s avatar

LMFAO!! You a damn lie!! YOU actually found the code to unlock PERMANENT CFW for the PSP3000 and Go models?!?!?! Don’t make me laugh as you already did. XD XD XD

28. alucard67’s avatar

I’m definitely participating in this one. It’s about time I dust off the psp and get reacquainted with OSLib and Visual Studio 2010 via psplink. I made a Zelda like clone just last year but I’m ready to start fresh. Anything suggested in the rules yet that homebrew needs to be signed?

1. wololo’s avatar

It’s not a definite answer, but I don’t think we will require the homebrew to be signed. People can sign homebrews themselves.

1. alucard67’s avatar

Sounds good as I only have a psp 2000 to work with. Looking forward to posting my entry once the competition has started.

29. Alaude’s avatar

I hope when psp2 has been released, devs(hackers) of psp will still make more project and dont just let psp die.

30. angel of darkness’s avatar

im goin to dnt worry….as long as im alive the psp will not be dead

1. lostarot’s avatar

i like your comment man.. LOL.. go with the permanent CFW man.. woot woot.

31. bluesora98’s avatar

I dont think the PSP1 is gonna die just yet. I’m still hoping for 6.20 TN-D

32. naginalf’s avatar

If sony upholds their comment at the playstation meeting, regarding the playstation android suite and that it may have PSP games, we should start seeing even more people writing for it. If they offer PSP games over it, my first cell phone will be the Xperia play. And if they don’t, well they’re just stupid (oh wait, it’s sony, so I don’t really have great expectations).

33. angel of darkness’s avatar

@Nickolas ur fckn stupid 1st of all i already made it
    2nd of all i was going to have wololo realese it but we had some issues
    3rd of all u dnt know wat ur talking about an ur probably just a 10 year old script kiddie or ur not a programer so shut up about stuff u dnt understand
    an fyi they talked about 6.20 hen 100000000000000000000000000 times an how it wasnt possible well now what do we have???
    i did make it im going to enter it in the compo an then ur going to appoligies so pleez dnt say shit about stuff u dont understand……..leave the grown up stuff to grown ups

p.s shut the fck up

1. Nickolas’s avatar

Grow up and use metaphores…. The HEN was possible even before TN-HEN was released (5.03 HEN rings a bell?) but a Full CFW is not possible on 3000 2000(newest) or Go because of the Pre-IPL checking Sony installed on the newest motherboards. And of course I am a developer for god’s sake!

1. shien’s avatar

not only that. i guess lostarot is actually him or someone he knows.

2. clockdryve’s avatar

Oh REALLY….what did YOU develop, or who you work with? Hmmmmm?? That would give you credit I guess—right?

1. LOSTAROT’s avatar

actually thought we was trolling.. Hehe.. I did not believe the guy.. the “LOL” on my comment was intended as an insult..

1. LOSTAROT’s avatar

I mean “actually thought he was trolling..”.

34. npt’s avatar

I must say I am very excited to see such interest in the compo! This is going to be a heck of a lot of fun!

npt

35. maziah miranda’s avatar

most uselful psp homebrews yet to be developed(my dream list)
    !) a fully functional n64 emulator
    2)a fully functional nintendo ds emulator
    3) a bluetooth file transfering/linking program for the psp go
    4)a signed cfw for the psp 3004s and gos (permanent if possible)
    5)an app that uses the psp camera for motion detecting(im just kidding)
    soo developers out there if youre reading this plzz tell me if anyone of the above is possible.saying that i wish wololo and all psp 3004 owners and devs a happy homebrew blast 2011
    r.i.p. psp1

36. joejoejoe’s avatar

Angel of darkness is totally bull shitting everyone he’s lying, he has no proof, and it’s impossible, so before you start freaking out, give us proof

1. maziah miranda’s avatar

hey guys i just downgraded my psp from 6.35 to 6.20 tn hen and i was wondering why we cant downgrade any more lower say to 5.50,5.03?
      do the newer psps restrict such things? somebody plz answer my question
      so maybe angel of darkness is right?

1. brick_master’s avatar

the newer psp motherboards(4g) doesn’t support lower firmwares like 5.50,5.03 thats the reason some psp 3k models can’t go any lower……..

1. maziah miranda’s avatar

thnx man,but my psps a 3004 and when i use psp module checker it says 3g and theres a videos on youtube where some guy downgrades to 5.03.

1. maziah miranda’s avatar

sorry for the bad english! im using my iphone

2. clockdryve’s avatar

Does your iPhone cause you to speak “bad” English??
            Sorry about that…maybe you need the “Android” or “Blackberry” then :)

37. kill.bug36’s avatar

I need a homebrew that gets me a girlfriend ;D

1. shien’s avatar

that would be awesome! xD

2. Zen’s avatar

definitely awesome :D

38. totushi’s avatar

i wanna help out the community with GUI stuff, so if your a homebrew developer drop me a line XD

39. hdkuk’s avatar

how ’bout a working gps program with usa maps.. that works with psp-290

40. frank’s avatar

sucks for psp
    nobodys hacking ps2
    so nobodys gonna hack psp
    once the ngp comes
    out
    it sucks

1. clockdryve’s avatar

Well the NGP can’t be “hacked” till they find an exploit. I’m sure there will be plenty of YEARS where the PSP will get attention because of that. And Sony will continue to put out games for it…maybe not all that “good” but something new anyway. After Games have been out for awhile on NGP (stupid name) I’m sure Sony will down convert them for PSP (suck all the money they can)…..

41. williand’s avatar

i was just wondering if there is a good plugin for psp 3000 running on tn c hen that would allow me to make a save data on the xmb and then continue on it later if i wanted to like the hib block.prx

1. maziah miranda’s avatar

so its like the pause feature on the go right?

42. ReaperX’s avatar

so basically this is the last year the PSP Scene will be alive and no more New Homebrews or Hacks in 2012?

43. Spider Monkey’s avatar

Somehow I felt that the psp scene died out when Davee downgrader was release. Maybe its just me :D

1. Nickolas’s avatar

or an undead…

1. Spider Monkey’s avatar

I’m pretty sure its a zombie :P

1. asmith906’s avatar

Brains….

2. Nickolas’s avatar

Wait what’s the difference between a zombie and an undead? Isn’t a zombie undead? :S I am confused lol…

2. maziah miranda’s avatar

chainsaw

1. clockdryve’s avatar

Nah, the Downgrader just gives us all HOPE and future H.O.P.E :)

44. Wolola’s avatar

The NGP and 3DS as the PSP, NDS and all others consoles, will be hacked, in much or minor time but they will be hacked.

The permanent CFW for PSP3k,Go, and 2k it isn’t impossible, the only reason of at the moment they can’t get it, is because anybody discover the method, let’s think, if sony make a CFW, isn’t it would be permanent? Once anybody discover how do it, then, we have a PCFW on ours PSP, let’s time run…

1. LOSTAROT’s avatar

makes a lot of sense… sony can update your CFW and its permanent, why not the CFW.. I guess its all about coding and thats not impossible to do. Who would have thought the signing codes for PS3 can be hacked.