Release: Wagic 0.13.1

After long months, I am extremely proud to announce a new release of Wagic, The Homebrew, almost in sync with the release of Scars of Mirrodin (The new expansion of MTG was released a week ago). Let me especially thank Zethfox and Dr.Solomat for this release, they are the ones who pushed the card engine beyond all expectations, and added around 800 new cards, raising the number to more than 11700 playable cards (6300 unique).

Let me also thank leungclj for his involvement on our Twitter and facebook pages!

What is Wagic?

Is it still necessary to introduce Wagic? Often compared to commercial games for its replay value and quality, Wagic is a heroic fantasy card game, in which you fight as a wizard against the computer. As you win battles, you unlock new game modes and earn credits that allow you to improve your army. Wagic is community driven, entirely customizable (you can create themes, mods, even new rules), available in several languages (Chinese was added in this release by linshier), and open source. It currently runs on the Sony PSP, Windows, and Linux. An N900 version is in the works, and already available on the SVN, thanks to the work of developer DJardin.

Obligatory screenshots

Changelog

This release comes with so many new features that I’m sure I’ll forget some. There are so many new keywords in the card engine that a dedicated section (see below) is needed to describe them all.

• More than 800 new unique cards, including cards from Magic 2011 and Scars of Mirrodin. Wagic now allows you to play with more than 11700 units (6300 unique)
  • New loading screens by Kaioshin
  • Card engine/parser updates, see list below
  • Story mode improved (new rewards)
  • Mulligan (thanks almosthumane)
  • Support of Chinese language by linshier
  • Advanced themes by Jeck. Give a try to the “gemstones” theme!
  • Additional option to pass phases automatically (almosthumane)
  • Improved deck selection menus (mnguyen)
  • Support for “tiny crops” images (from slightlymagic.net), recommended for PSP users (better performance)
  • Too many bug fixes to mention. Thanks to ALL devs!

New parser keywords

Thanks to Dr.Solomat for the list, and to Zethfox who coded most of these!

Fixed keywords:

CANTREGENERATE --> now CANTREGEN. The engine always handled it as "REGENERATE" and thus had to be renamed.

New abilities:

ABSORB
AFFINITYARTIFACTS
AFFINITYPLAINS
AFFINITYFOREST
AFFINITYISLAND
AFFINITYMOUNTAIN
AFFINITYSWAMP
AFFINITYGREENCREATURES
BOTHNOCREATURE ---------- both cant cast creatures.
BOTHCANTCAST ------------ both cant cast spells.
BOTHONECAST ----------- both limited to 1 spell.
CANTCREATURECAST --------- card controller cant cast creature.
CANTLIFELOSE -------- you cant lose for having no life left.
CANTLOSE -------- you cant lose the game/ opponent cant win.
 (Card example:Platinum Angel
CANTSPELLCAST ---------- card controller cant cast spells.
CANTMILLOSE --------- you cant lose from being milled.
CANTWIN ------------ you cant win the game / opponent cant lose.
CONTROLLERSHROUD ----- (Card example:True Believer)
FROZEN ------- card/target will not untap on its controllers next untap phase. (Card example:Tangle)
INFECT ------- New ability from Scars of Mirrodin.
LEYLINE ------- Enables the coding of the Leyline cycles.
NOMAXHAND --------- controller has no maximum had size.
PLAYERSHROUD
POISONTOXIC,POISONTWOTOXIC,POISONTHREETOXIC -- card adds 1,2 or 3 poison counters to the player it damaged. Poison counters will appear as green letters under or above the lifetotal.
PHANTOM ------- prevents damage and remove one +1/+1 counter (Card examples:Phantom Centaur,Phantom Nishoba)
RETRACE ------- Now without any workaround!
STORM --------  storm ability (Card example:Tendrils of Agony)
TREASON ------- card with abilities=treason will be sacrificed at the end of the turn (Card example:Sneak Attack)
UNEARTH ------- Now without any workaround!
WILTING ------- source takes damage in the form of -1/-1 counters
VIGOR ------- instead of taking damage the source gains +1/+1 counters (Card examples:Phytohydra)

New code line starters:

BUYBACK={...} ----------- Now without any workaround.
FLASHBACK={...} ----------- Now without any workaround.
OTHER={...} (+ AUTO=ALTERNATIVE effect) -- Enables alternative casting costs (Card example:Force of Will,all cards with EVOKE)

New cost symbols:

{D} ------- Discarding a random card as additional casting/activation cost.
{E}/{E(target|zone)} ----------- Exiles something as additional casting/activation cost.
{H}/{H(target|zone)} ----------- Returns something to your hand as additional casting/activation cost.
{L} ------- life loss as additional casting/activation cost.
{M} ------- Puts a card from the top of you library as additional casting/activation cost.
{s2l} --------- "put *target|whereever* on top of your library as additional casting/activation cost.
{X}{X} --------- now 2 {X} are possible! (Card example:Decree of Justice)
{l2e} ---------- Exiles the top card of you library as additional casting/activation cost. (Card example:Arc-Slogger)

New keywords:

ONLYONECAST   -------target player can only play 1 spell this turn.
NOCREATURES  -------- target player cant play creatures this turn.
NOSPELLS   --------- target player cant play spells this turn.
LAND:number  -------  target player can play number additional lands this turn.
BLOODTHIRST --------- (Card examples:Scab-Clan Mauler)
FOG --------- This is similar to "PREVENTALLCOMBATDAMAGE", which only worked for instants and sorceries. "Fog" works only for permanents and is used in combination with the newly introduced parameter "ONESHOT"!
NAME(...) && effect -------- When used in an autoline it replaces an autoline's "ability" text with a custom ability name.
COLOR:+X/-X -------- Manacost Alteration (Card examples:Goblin Warchief,Sphere of Resistance)
PREVENT:X ------- damage prevention to single creatures and players. (Card examples:Healing Salve,Battlefield Medic)
TRANSFORMS(types or subtypes,color,ability) ------- similar to BECOMES. The main difference is that you can change single parameters of a permanent like only color or type. -- (Card examples:Memnarch,Wild Mongrel)

New Sets:

Magic2011
Arcenemy
From the Vault: Relics
Scars of Mirrodin

New variables:

LIFETOTAL(static)
OPPONENTLIFETOTAL(static)
EQUIP ---- looks if a card is equipped ["this(equip !=0) effect"] or how many artifacts are on a card ["thisforeach(equip) effect"]

New Zones:

OPPONENTHAND (Card examples:Duress,Thoughtseize)

Download

If you enjoy Wagic, please consider a donation. Thanks in advance!

download here

As usual, enjoy this new release of Wagic! This release is (of course!) compatible with HBL.

1. Dr. Solomat’s avatar

Finally!

I especially want to thank my coding friend Zethfox, who made this release so huge. It is by far the release with the buggest number of card mechanics.

In the following list you will find only a few highlights from Magic which can now be played on your PSP, PC, etc.:

Force of Will
    Sneak Attack
    Tendrils of Agony
    True Believer
    Leyline of the Void
    Frogmite, Myr Enforcer & ALL other cards with Affinity
    Wild Mongrel
    Pernicious Deed
    Duress
    Spiritmonger
    Platinum Angel
    Orim’s Chant
    Thoughtseize
    Decree of Justice
    Goblin Warchief (and all other mana cost reducers & increasers)
    Memnarch
    Shriekmaw

I hope you all have fun with Wagic 0.13.1!!! ;)

CU Doc

If you have any questions about the new release: Ask in the forum! You are welcome!

2. BOS’s avatar

great!!! i was waiting for this update thnaks wololo & co.

3. BOS’s avatar

1st an 2nd coment!!! yeah!!!! wololo rules and company rocks!!!

4. BOS’s avatar

sorry i dint see the other, so im the 2,3,4 com.

5. kalte’s avatar

OMG! a huge update!!! Looks like all this time without a new release is totally worth it :)

Congratulations for your good and hard work guys!

6. kolu4iy’s avatar

It would be nice if this game was translated into Russian language

7. Mervin’s avatar

Yeah, Russian would be great indeed

8. jaja2u’s avatar

Nice work

9. Mud’s avatar

God bless you Wololo and team!!

I’ve been waiting for what felt like forever for another Wagic release.

Thanks Wololo and team.
    Keep the Wagic rolling, I love it!

10. Mud’s avatar

Hey, Wololo
    I’ve been playing v0.12 for a long and I could never unlock those last 3 sets, I was wondering if there’s a cheat or some text that I can edit to unlock all the sets.?

I like using the trophy room to check out what cards are from what set it makes things easier when I go out to buy separate cards.:)

Thanks again Wololo
    I know I will enjoy this release for months to on in…Then I’ll be begging for another release, lol

Sorry for the double post… :/

11. w7y7a7t7t’s avatar

it would be very kind if someone could point me in the direction of card images…

12. Mud’s avatar

@w7y7a7t7t

There in the Wagic forums under card image..lol here.

Now if someone can tell me what text to edit to unlock all the sets…. :/

Wololo this is a grate release I cant quit playing, love the mulligans and new cards!

Outstanding work Wagic team!
    THANK YOU!!!

13. w7y7a7t7t’s avatar

@mud thanks for the link, and i think i read somewhere that the cards are unlock randomly, meaning that its probably not just a text file but some lines of code written into the game, which i’m not sure you can edit.

14. wololo’s avatar

@Mud: somewhere in on of the settings file, there’s a list of the unlocked expansions. you can easily figure it out. it’s a txt file, can’t remember if it’s in the settings or player folder (or profile if you created a profile).

An other way to unlock all cards is to use the cheat mode…look for it in the forum ;)

15. MAP’s avatar

wow! sneak attack?! OMG! Thanks from the philippines :)

16. CHAVA’s avatar

HI
    I WISH INSTAL THIS NEW VERSION, BUT I DONT WANT TO LOSE MY OLD DECKS AND CARDS FROM THE 0.12 VERSION. THE QUESTION IS:
    HOW I HAVE TO INSTAL THIS VERSION TO NOT LOSS MY CARDS AND DECKS?
    THANKS!!!

17. wololo’s avatar

@CHAVA:
    install the new version in a clean folder.
    Then copy player/collection.dat and player/deck*.txt from our 0.12.1 player folder to the 0.13.1 player folder

18. Abra’s avatar

@mud & Wololo

Cheat mode doesn’t unlock expansion in the trophy room. You need to edit manually the “option.txt” in your player folder or in your profile folder if you created a profile.

Note that I added recently a “cheat” folder to the MTGO theme that contain such a file.

19. CHAVA’s avatar

@Wololo
    thanks a lot :D
    And for save de images i go for the same method?
    Thanks, excelent work are you made :D

20. Mud’s avatar

Thanks everyone and Abra.
    I love the MTGO theme however it freezes up the psp when I try to use it..?

Anyway I’ll look and edit the text file you all speak of.

Thanks again

Love this release Wololo its Mega Cool!

21. CHAVA’s avatar

HEY
    THIS VERSION WORK GOOD IN PSP?
    IAM HAVE TROUBLES :s
    THE OLD VERSION RUN VERY NICE

ANYONE CAN HELP ME?

THANKS

22. ravine’s avatar

wololo & co.. thanks for the hardwork! more power! i was waiting for this version.

23. CHAVA’s avatar

I have problems with this version in my psp.
    I press a button(anyone) and the button is pressed two time automatically.
    Can you help me please?

24. wololo’s avatar

@CHAVA: I replied to you already. If you took the time to read my answers you wouldn’t have to write your question twice.
    remove any previous version of Wagic and install Wagic 0.13 in a NEW folder, it will solve your issue.
    We are working on making this more convenient.

25. Mud’s avatar

@ Chava,
    You might have phase skip turned on “full” check “Option” then “Advance” and on the 3rd bar there’s Phase Skip Automation Turn it to “OFF”…

That might be the problem.. ;/

26. cscash241’s avatar

whats next wy wg wh instead ofyu gi oh jk good job maby i will play this game when and if i learn how to play magic

27. Raiden’s avatar

First I want to thank Wololo & co for this awesome homebrew and secondly I’m wondering how to get past the first story chapter. (the tutorial)

Do I have to add the rest of it or is it unlockable?
    Sorry for the dumb question…

28. wololo’s avatar

@Raiden : the “stories” for now are very basic and just here as examples. You can find more campaigns on the forum, and I am still waiting for a “great” campaign to include in the official release (Brother’s war by abrasax is awesome but includes some graphics for which I don’t have the rights)

29. Raiden’s avatar

Thank you Wololo! I just grabed Brother’s War and can’t wait to try it!
    Keep up the awesome work in this and HBL!!!

30. fuckshit’s avatar

hey wololo! how about u think about the half byte loader!!! its almost 1 month and 2 weeks no hbl release!!! wth man!!

31. RHM’s avatar

Strange… When I put the game on my psp, I get corrupted date. When I still had ver. 12, everything went smoothly. I have erased all versions from my psp and I even installed the clean one from here without even adding any files (ie: card images, profiles) and it still gets corrupted. Does this version require a newer CFW? Thanks to any one who can help.

32. RHM’s avatar

Oops, it should be corrupted data.

33. ph34rbot’s avatar

If you would like to try a campaign check this out:

Great campaign for a great game, included a pictureless file to avoid any type of copyright problems

34. Kanata’s avatar

???????PSP??
    ???????
    ????????

?????????????
    ??????????????
    ??wololo????

google translation?
    I am a Chinese PSP players
    Download and play the Chinese version

I have already sent the game to the forum
    Hope to have more people playing the game on
    Thank you wololo production!