Release: HBL R100 for PSPs up to OFW 6.31!

Well, although that was pretty much expected, we’re happy to celebrate the 100th revision of HBL with a major breakthrough, the possibility to play homebrews for owners of OFW 6.30 and 6.31.

Less than 2 months after Firmware 6.31 was released by Sony, J416 released a port of our beloved HBL to a new game exploit in the Japanese game “Minna no Golf Portable”. Today, less than two weeks after this release, we are releasing HBL for all known versions of the game (EU, US, JP), with also the hope that porting HBL to new game exploits will now be even easier.

Now, as I said yesterday, there are still a few bumps on the road for people who plan to enjoy homebrews on OFW 6.30 and 6.31. Although HBL has made incredible progress in the past months, adapting it to new exploits and new firmwares still requires lots of testing. People who try HBL on the golf exploits will see that it is not as stable as on the patapon exploit. You might need to give it several tries before the menu accepts to show up, some emulators will not run at full speed, etc… but as I alreay said, compare this to the first HBL release for the patapon2 exploit, and be happy that you can run much more than simple text based homebrews ;)

There are a few other things with this release: it is not humanly possible for me to test all versions of HBL, first because I don’t have all the games, second because I don’t have all the firmwares (feel free to donate a psp on OFW 6.31, by the way). If I wanted to test only 5 homebrews for 5 minutes each on the 4 game exploits, on the 4 psp models and the  10 firmwares compatible with HBL, it would take roughly 80 hours!

I tested HBL R100 on a PSP Go 6.20 for the patapon2 exploit, on a PSP Go 6.20 for the Hot shots golf exploit, and on a psp Phat 5.50 for the everybody’s golf exploit. This is much less testing than I would usually expect. In particular, notice that I haven’t tested this on a 6.30/6.31 PSP, and that I haven’t tested the Japanese version at all. So keep this in mind when you run HBL on your PSP, and don’t hesitate to submit bug reports here or on the advancedpsp forums.

Oh, also, this might be worth mentioning, this revision brings nothing new for the patapon exploit, so people who are on 6.20 or below don’t really need to download it, except for the test of helping us to catch bugs that might have been introduced.

Enjoy, download here as usual, and apologies in advance if I missed some awful bugs in the process, you know us, this will get better with time :)

I want to thank people who helped for this release, especially JJS, Freddy, J416, npt, psp-hacks.com, and all the people who kindly provided memory dumps in the past days

Update: It seems that for the EU version, some people are having troubles with HBL constantly returning to the XMB. A possible solution is to do the following:

1) rename the folder hbl/libs_6xx to hbl/libs
AND
2) rename the file hbl/config/imports.config_6xx into hbl/config/imports.config
AND
3) try again

1. newguy’s avatar

@GR1 great man i be waiting some like a compablility list but this is better xD
    i see in internet run isos whit digital commic???? this is true or false

2. Mamimi’s avatar

-I have Hot Shots Golf Open Tee (US, UMD)
    -I have a PSP 2001, firmware 6.30
    -I downloaded the correct files (though the read me still refers to Patapon 2, so I can’t be 100% sure, but I downloaded from the correct links)
    -I installed the files in the correct places
    -HSG:OT starts to load, the screen goes black, the PSP turns off

I don’t know if this information is helpful, but i thought I’d bring it up here. And if anyone has any useful suggestions for me to get this running, feel free to post them. ;)

3. Lorz’s avatar

@newguy…. I think what you’re talking about is mars loader…. and tbh this is still a bit of a mystery… some say it works, others say it doesn’t……. in any case it’s hard to find any solid information about it except for a few youtube vids which could easily be fakes or the real thing who knows….. but as Wololo says….. until it has a release, consider it a fake… and when /if it ever gets released, if it does even half of what they claim….. news about it will be all over the place.

4. toBsucht’s avatar

THANKS WOLOLO !!! 100 if i got my paypal i´ll make a donat;)
    @Dazman great this exactly what i search thanks, to u
    maybe http://www.halfbyteloader-psp.350.com take it into the download list.

5. rcdash’s avatar

I have psp 3004 -6.31. i do not have any UMD for hot shot golf or everyday golf or mina no. can i run HBL in my psp using patapon demo 2

6. wololo’s avatar

@rcdash no, you need hot shots golf or everybody’s golf

7. FOL’s avatar

Just to let you all know.

PSP Go! 6.31 using Everbodys golf (under PSP Essensials) works still.
    I downloaded the EU version from PSN this morning and HBL works fine.

I updated my Go, after I backed up my Phats nand and updated that to 6.31 to see if game was still exploitable.

Hope this info helps some others, :).

8. cscash241’s avatar

there seams to be a compatibility issue with the debug version of the hotshots golf exploit http://code.google.com/p/valentine-hbl/issues/detail?id=327#c0 sorry for spaming this every ware but i thought everyone should know about it so it can get fixed

9. -Sp>>d-’s avatar

List of homebrew i have that works on R100…

-[BattleGrounds 3] AWESOME GAME- crashes when you quit

-[Doodle Jump PSP 1.3] the game is ok… sort of slow… game crashes on exit

-[CSPortable 0.75] AWESOME game… the could make the bots buy ammo though… the run out and jump around with a knife…. Has multiplayer…
    This is maybe my best game

-[Cave Story] AWESOME GAME

-[Deadulus R14 beta] AWESOME… runs slow… you might have to google how to make deadulus run faster.

-[Kitten Cannon]Not the best game… but it runs on R100 (no quit button :O

-[Mh GPSPkai] awesome GBA emu works well… the 2 times speed doesn’t work very well…

-[Rag doll Cannon] Its really good but the cannon has to charge up half wrecking the point of it… still fun though…

-[Wagic] Works perfect… been trying to learn how to play…

10. H2Otter’s avatar

can someone be kind and link a version of a N64 emulator that works for this HBL much appriciated plz :D if not then thats ok too i guess :(

11. cameraguy256’s avatar

audio is f’d on emulators, choppy on picodrive and high pitch and choppy in masterboy

12. Omar’s avatar

hi I have OFW 6.31 on my psp. And for some reason i can’t load the patapon but on the game menu I click continue then I click the game but it says loading failed data copparat sorry about my spelling errors

13. rcdash’s avatar

Thanks for reply wololo

14. Tim’s avatar

Heyy i have a PSP with OFW 6.31… i didnt knew i ever wanted to go to the wrong (but easy cheap and lil bit more fun) side :P. (downloading games etc.) So i installed it…
    Email me if u need a OFW 6.31 tester. I bet i have to wait till never or till i can downgrade 6.31

15. joozet’s avatar

tengo una psp 3010 OFW 6.31, UMD minna no golf Hot Shots Golf Open Teen, me funciona exelente, lo unico malo es que no me reconoce los juegos ISO, ¿tienen algun formato en especial?, ¿se crea una carpeta aparte?, por favor denme una solucion, de antemano muchas gracias y disculpen mi ortografia.

Saludos !! :)