15 Essential Homebrews that run on Half Byte Loader

People keep asking for lists of homebrew games that work with HBL. I believe making a full list is an impossible task, especially since we fix bugs on a daily basis, but today I want to showcase 15 homebrews that work great in HBL. These homebrews are of great quality and will give you hours (if not hundreds of hours) of gameplay. I’ve tested them myself on a 6.20 psp go. These games are presented in no specific order.

Please keep in mind that emulators usually require bios files and/or roms that I cannot legally provide. Don’t ask for those here, thanks.

1. Wagic 0.12.1

Ok, I lied, there is an order… at least for the first game :) . Wagic is an heroic fantasy card game in which you fight against the CPU. As you win battles against your opponent, you earn credits that will allow you to improve your army, unlock sets, and play new game modes. Highly customizable (you can create your own cards, even your own rules and campaigns), Wagic can easily bring you hundreds of hours of gameplay (hell, I’ve been playing it on a daily basis for the past 3 years!), and has already won several homebrew contests.

2. Doom 1.4

Do I need to introduce this game? As mentioned on hackaday.com, Doom is a “prerequisite for any cracked device”. This game is a legend, and you can play the shareware version for free on your PSP through HBL. Works flawlessly once you get used to the controls (triangle+select to show the menu, don’t forget this one!)

3. Picodrive 1.35

With HBL R95, sound is finally available in this great Sega emulator. You’ll love to see Sonic running on your portable device! (Note: version 1.51 has also been reported to work)

4. T.O.M.E. 2.3.5

Tales Of Middle Earth is a PSP port of a famous RPG on the PC. The graphisms are not what you are looking for here, but rather, a deep RPG experience with lots of possible customizations and quests. Think of it as a Diablo… with way more customization. Old school people like me who used to play RPGs with a pen, a piece of paper, and a pair of dice (errr… ok, a pair of cars filled with dice if you were playing the Starwars RPG) will definitely enjoy this game. Historically, T.O.M.E was the first “big” game to run on HBL, so it holds a special place in my heart :)

5. CSPSP 1.56

Although this is not the latest release (which requires Kernel access), CS PSP is a nice 2D version of Counter Strike. We still have hopes to enable network on this one (hopefully the programmer of the game will come back from the deads and update the sources of the latest version to be less restrictive with Kernel access), but for now, even the single player mode is very entertaining, and an extremely nice way to spend my time on the train. Excellent for casual gaming. Stupid bots, DIE! DIE! DIE!

6. Gpsp Kai

Newer versions of this emulator might work, I must admit I haven’t tested them. GPSP is a brilliant Game Boy Advance emulator, but so far only this unoficially modification (the “kai” versions) seem to work with HBL. The GBA has some very decent games, and if you’ve never tried Advance Wars I highly suggest it! A known issue with this emulator is that HBL crashes when you exit Gpsp…hopefully we’ll fix that soon.

7.Snes9xTYL

What, another emulator? Yes, but for the Super Nes this time. Some of the best games were made on this console. I can still remember full afternoons playing Street fighter 2…aaah…It was so good to be a kid in the 16bits era!

8. ScummVM 1.1.1

ScummVM feels and tastes like an emulator, but it’s a project specifically aimed at old-school point and click adventure games such as Monkey Island. A great thing about scummVM is that some of the games it allows to play are now freeware. I highly recommend Beneath a Steel sky that you  can legally download for free on scummvm.org.

9. Bookr

Bookr is an ebook reader that supports pdf and text files among other formats. A must have if you read a lot and are not lucky enough to own a Kindle… I don’t recommend to read pdf files  on a pspgo though, I think the screen of the psp go is way too small for this…

10. Daedalus (R13?)

I have mixed feelings about Daedalus. Sure, the emulator starts, but I can’t say I’ve seen any game running at full speed on this with HBL. Lots of people requested it, so I’m adding it to this list, but if you know of a more recent version (from the deadalusX64 team) that runs on HBL, please let me know and I’ll gladly test it. For Daedalus, you might want to try and set the override_scePeekBufferPositive to 0 in the hbl/hbl_config.txt file.

11. Cave Story

Probably the most famous platform freeware game, cave story is the result of 5 years of work by an independent developer. This is the psp port.

12. Spider Solitaire

The definition of casual gaming! This game has a graphical glitch in HBL, but it doesn’t prevent it from being playable.

13. Geometry wars

By far the most adrenaline-packed homebrew there is. If you can survive more than 5 seconds you probably beat my personal high score. You probably know the original game that inspired it, or its psp clone polygun war.

14. EmuMaster/Masterboy

It seems we broke compatibility with the Game Boy emulator “Homer’s Rin” in a recent update. But fear not, Emumaster is here for you. This is a great emulator for both the Sega Master System and the Game Boy color. So, technically, while we try to understand what happened to Homer’s rin, you can still play your favorite GBC games! (emumaster seems to crash on me when I exit the game).

15. Zombie Crisis

A gore FPS based on the Duke Nukem 3D port for the PSP. If you like 3D and zombies, you’ll like this game :)

Download

There are of course many other good homebrews available for the PSP that run on HBL. The ones above are a mix of “often mentioned”, “personal favorites”, and “I tried this one randomly, it works and I like it”. If you know other cool homebrews that work with HBL, don’t hesitate to share links!

1. Ramsey Wright’s avatar

could someone make a iso loader/player for psp3000 v.6.37?

1. hello’s avatar

Y are u upgrading to 637 ? idiots..

1. Shinny’s avatar

total idiots…

1. positivplus’s avatar

maybe he buyed the psp some days ago and it was deliviered with this ofw

1. Arkitakama’s avatar

*bought, and it was that way with mine. Bought it used at a video game store, and they update all the firmwares on all of the devices every month. Guess I just picked a bad part of the month.

2. Gen. TJ’s avatar

thats what happened to me when i got the screen fixed
            they auto updated my psp

3. jam’s avatar

The root codes are out. You can play any game on official 6.37 firmware. There’s no need for cfw anymore. Don’t call people idiots if you haven’t done your homework.

4. kingtrevor’s avatar

i just got mine and it was 6.3 or 6.6. no choice.

2. Zetaro’s avatar

look mac it was either upgrade or get a refund for dissidia final fantasy 012 duodeciem and i badly wanted to play it!

2. NARUTO’s avatar

Could someone make a ISO loader/Hen for psp3004 v.6.37?

3. The Turks’s avatar

counter strike does not work ???

1. toBsucht’s avatar

http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1879 you can get much more downloads as @gdteam without regestration for all firmware. To run them with hbl u maybe search the unsigned version in the www. Thanks to the forum for the massive support and all for signing homebrews.

4. Just ur Ordinary Homebrew’s avatar

Ok i know of i a good site But!!!!! Some Hombrews will work on HBL But all will work On Cfw Newly Updated =O Here it is Psp.gdteam.net U can even download them directly from psp!

5. kingofheart’s avatar

can any say me how to hack psp 3044 and play iso games v .6.37 HELP???????????????????????????????????????

6. taxik’s avatar

Oh Noobz.There isn”t ISO Loader for 6.37-Only Half-Byte-Loader-

7. THE MAN’s avatar

i found some games that run on hbl they are
    Rubik v3.5
    DSONPSP BETA
    and more!

8. Jamie’s avatar

looking for a DS emulator that can play Pokemon Black/White Rom

1. KevinSevenfold’s avatar

oh dude,that’s impssible,even the emulator runs slowly with the rest of the ROMS of NDS
      …but i’d kill for play that on my PSP !!

2. TAILS’s avatar

there exist a nds emu but it runs very slowly.
      I is called dsonpsp.
      I have PSP 3004 6.20 PRO-B5

9. KevinSevenfold’s avatar

oh,by the way,someone know a good emulator of N64 ??

1. toBsucht’s avatar

only one the latest dedalus releas or @ http://www.mediafire.com/toBsucht signed or not for psp s

10. Homebrew man’s avatar

HBL is the ultimate hombrew program. playing The Legend Of Zelda OOT now. this is still working on 6.37. also, to who ever needed the ISO loader, im devoloping one, ISOLord, so just wait.

11. Homebrew man’s avatar

hey guys. just an update on ISOLord.
    it’s working so far. i get a few errors with it every now and then. this thing is able to play PSX (or PS1, what ever it is called these days) AND PSP games. i have been building this for 3 years. it’s all coming out nicely.

1. The MAN’s avatar

Were can I download Iso Loard?

2. The MAN’s avatar

Were can I download Iso Lord?

3. Niels van der Werf’s avatar

YES plz SAY!!!! i downloaded 6,37 exedently so.. plz give!:S

12. Oni Akuma’s avatar

The EMUMASTER/MASTERBOY does not have any roms in the folder why?

1. toBsucht’s avatar

Becouse it isn´t leagel to share rom in the most countries. Oni Akuma
      is it a april joke. Maybe there are some homebrews(sampels) for the emulator but i don´t know one.

13. Oni Akuma’s avatar

Man there was a problem bout the gpsp kai emulator, but i followd the instructions wen i started it, and i downloaded a gba bios and now it works :D

14. Oni Akuma’s avatar

but i cant get my roms to work?

1. toBsucht’s avatar

^^i didn´t see that i hope you got it ;) maybe it was the floder were u place the roms are some games do not run (without a customized setup)

15. marcos’s avatar

im a noobie but want to thank wololo for making my psp 3001 interesting(dummy with 6.37)also for those who are interested i found a way to put 100 games from snes on psp 3001 ofw 6.37.first i downloaded snes 9xtyl and put in psp/game.-second i searched games for snes 9xtyl 0.4.2 and found a site that says 150 or 100 games then theres two downloads part1 and part2 but when extracted dont put them n your psp go to the roms file and find that you need to extract each game so you extract each game and put them n the roms file (psp/game/snes 9xtyl/rom)

16. quiety’s avatar

im new here and i want to downgrade my psp from 6.37 is it even possible?

1. toBsucht’s avatar

@quiety maybe befor psp2 is release more likely after release maybe never(really unlikely). You can downgrade a 6.37 ofw or up only if pandora is working with your psp model (datacode/motherboard). Try pspident0.73 or up.

17. blue49974’s avatar

Hi if your on 6.37 this should work ok when 6.20 hen was out and I was on ofw 6.35 I used 6.20 promethis iso loader in the half byte loader and I was actually able to run Iso files you can also try cso files if you want.

18. Mike’s avatar

Hey guys I can seem to get a good daedalus emu on my psp 3000, the original one to download here doesnt run well with Zelda OOT and i tried running the beta 3 one with hbl 113r but no luck :/ i have the psp 3003 3004, id appreciate if someone could help me(:

Thanks!
    Mike

19. THE MAN’s avatar

Where can i get a home brew like GTA!! I really want one

20. toBsucht’s avatar

@blue49974 i try to start pro-loader with hbl113 and it is starting but i can run a iso.^lucky me, tn-hen user :P

@Mike if you downloaded a signed emulator it doesn´t work with signed hbl. Try to use your (most likely signed) n64 emulator with ofw. Also i found just a few minutes ago ^ZeldaT3^ a port for the psp.

@THE MAN there is a gta homebrew(mini) but it´s no fun to play it try a gba-emulator. Note i can remember some1 here who´s try to run this game with a gba but it doesn´t work, but i´m not sure if there´re differnt gta gba-versions.

1. THE MAN’s avatar

thanks

21. azulafanatic’s avatar

please! STOP CALLING PEOPLE IDIOTS! I ADMIT I UPGRADED MY PSP TO 6.37.. PLEASE! YOU ARE JUST SHOWING DAT U DON’T HAVE MANNERS.

22. joey’s avatar

demanoid.me and utorrent all day and thay have psp games that are sighned no hacks also have snes roms

23. Captain Crazy’s avatar

Dude, I fucking love you. I got Doom running without any hitches on my completely unhacked PSP 3001, running 6.37.

24. Ramsey Wright’s avatar

the gbakai emulator is crap!!!!!

25. jacques’s avatar

Hi guys is there a neo geo emulator for h.b.l

26. Viki’s avatar

Hi admin….i m a newbie..pls help me with my psp v.3006 upgrade 6.37…please i want to run iso on it….help me pls…thanks

27. toBsucht’s avatar

Hi viki
    i think the best is if you try pro hen(b6) or tn hen (extended) up to 6.39 ofw.
    make sure that u use the correct hen for your firmware. What´s your´s?
    This hens are all signed also you can find a lot of list @www with signed homebrews that doesn´t need a hen to run them.

28. toto’s avatar

has anybody got a program to get your psp to work as a controller for emulators on a pc, with hbl, i cant find any?

29. Mag’s avatar

Hey, can anyone help me here? I’ve been running HBL since 5.50. I upgraded my PSP to 6.20. HBL and all the emulators work EXCEPT for the GBA emulator. Before I upgraded my PSP the gba emulator worked fine. Now it seems the update has broken the gba emulator. Is there another GBA emulator that will work with 6.20?

30. toBsucht’s avatar

@toto: pspdisp 0.6 or wifi contoll 0.4.4 (all @ forum´s signed homebrew list)

@Mag which hen you are using pro- or tn- hen? Maybe try a signed gba emulator without hbl or search for updates example @ qj.net .. mh gpspkai

31. poinl’s avatar

i absalutly love cave story, very entertaining

1. alpmaster007’s avatar

I agree I am glad that it works on VHBL since Sonymon just crashes :(

32. supanovaboi’s avatar

does this support psp games if not what hack is out for 6.60 that does thanks

1. toBsucht’s avatar

find links at the top HEN,/Talk forums or CFW For Dummies

33. MysticalBlackWolf’s avatar

Can any one tell me if there is a way to down grade a 6.60 fw and is there a way you can jailbreak a psp as well like to get free games and stuff if there is i would like to hear back from some one please …. And if there is any software that i need to use to jailbreak the psp cause i have been looking all over the place and cant seem to find any thing that has to do with jail breaking the psp …. Well i have found a few stuff on how to jailbreak the psp but you have to do a survey to open up the site to get the software and i am getting sick and tired of trying to do these darn surveys and the page never opens up so i can get the software …. But any ways like i said can any one please help me out please …. Many thanks

34. marlon’s avatar

I new with my psvita
    i yes would like to know where i put ther emulator to i can play in the vita

1. alpmaster007’s avatar

It is a process you have to vhbl. Im guessing you already di
      But if so you should use OpenCMA on the pc you have to put emulator
      Folders in save file format to install through VHBL. I reccomend
      To use homebrew preparer V2.

35. Xavier’s avatar

Hey what’s the name of the game in the pic of Daedulus?

36. toBsucht’s avatar