Wagic 0.12.1 Released!

The long awaited release is finally here! It’s been a while, but don’t worry, as usual, it was worth it! I want to especially thank Dr.Solomat, Salmelo and abrasax for being the real people behind the latest Wagic improvements (guys, many thanks for both your involvement in the code and on the forums!). Also Thanks to Ilya B. For the amazing new graphics!

What is Wagic?

Is it still necessary to introduce Wagic? Often compared to commercial games for its replay value and quality, Wagic is a heroic fantasy card game, in which you fight as a wizard against the computer. As you win battles, you unlock new game modes and earn credits that allow you to improve your army. Wagic is community driven, entirely customizable (you can create themes, mods, even new rules), available in several languages, and open source. It currently runs on the Sony PSP, Windows, and Linux.

Obligatory screenshots

Changelog

Ok, so what’s new this time? Well, lots of new cards (more than 700 new unique cards, which brings the total to more than 10000 playable cards – almost 5500 unique), some new graphics for the default theme, and a “Story mode” in Beta Version. I’ll talk about the story mode below, but let’s start with a full changelog:

• More than 700 new cards, including cards from the new extension Rise of the Eldrazi (you’ll surely love those “level” cards!). Thanks to Dr. Solomat, Salmelo, and everybody contributing with ideas on the forum!
  • Additional graphics thanks to Ilya B. (check the cool screenshots above)
  • Story Mode (Beta)
  • Keywords/Parser updates: the parser now handles counters (thanks Salmelo, this allows to code quest cards and similar things), this/thisforeach, triggered abilities improvements, upkeep cost and similar
  • Improved HBL compatibility (you still have to remove the file exception.prx for Wagic to run in HBL)
  • The shopkeeper has new tasks for you. Get ready for more challenge and more credits! (thanks daddy32)
  • Various language updates (thanks to abrasax and all translators – full credits should be in the language files)
  • Countless bug fixes!

Story mode

This release has a new game mode, the story mode. You can give it a try, you will see that the example stories are actually a simple tutorial and a manual for the game. But these are only here to show you the possibilities that exist with the engine. It is now possible to tell an entire story within Wagic. Want to have epic battles with a cool scenario? Then go to the forums and we’ll help you create your own campaigns. The story mode is still very young, but with everyone’s ideas we plan to make it the “main” mode of Wagic. I’m not a good storyteller, but I’ll definitely improve the code if you need something and have interesting ideas! The story mode already allows the player to choose different paths in the story, earn awards for winning battles. New win conditions can easily be written with the rules engine, so you can even design challenging battles such as “win before the end of the turn”, etc…

The story mode is a completely new way to play wagic, but it’s up to you to turn it into THE way to play Wagic :) So give it a try and start writing your own campaign!

Download

If you enjoy Wagic, please consider a donation. Thanks in advance!

download here

(Please note that because of the growing size of the archive file, some themes have been removed from the wagic download. These files will be available again soon in a separate file)

1. Wolfdawg’s avatar

I have no ideal what it is, but ill try it

2. kondzio’s avatar

does it woek with HBL?

3. lattenwald’s avatar

I got a problem: any directional key is like pressed twice. There are 5 menu entries, and I can only select first, third and fifth.

I am running 5.00 M33-6, with few plugins. I disabled macrofire plugin and the problem is still there.

Can anybody help?

4. lattenwald’s avatar

About this problem: it’s only in WTH. Buttons in shell works good.

5. Jorgerix’s avatar

What happen with the Mulligan?, i saw in the forum some advance about this issue. Maybe in the next release we may see something about that.
    Anyway congratulations for the new release, i had been waiting for a while

6. MUD’s avatar

OMG!!!!

I’ve been waiting for this for what seemed forever!
    I’m so glad your still working on this project you are the man.

I love you as much as a straight man can love another man.

Big Thanks Wololo.
    keep them updates coming. :)

7. darkmatter’s avatar

A great update, I’ll be messing around with this for a while no doubts!

Will certainly make a few storylines to follow as well!

8. cDub’s avatar

I have the same problem as lattenwald. I’m reinstalling because I accidentally set it to install in spanish thanks to this bug.

9. wololo’s avatar

@cDub and lattenwald: can you tell me what PSP Model and firmware you are running on? Do you have any plugin running ?

10. TheMith’s avatar

I have the same thing happening as Lattenwald. No plugins are running at the same time. I went back between the old files and the new files, and I’ve narrowed it down to the options in the settings folder. in the new options.txt, every key binding is stated twice instead of once.

11. TheMith’s avatar

getting rid of the extra key bindings or using an old options.txt file seems to have fixed the issue.

12. Wolf’s avatar

CFW 5.50 Prometheus (The Gen-D3 update)

It takes a realy long time to load on the XMB due to it assessing the size of the file.

Music skips a little bit between screen loads.

Other then these 2 things the game plays great and with the added images looks even better. I have been following this since 0.9 and i cant say that i have evver found a better way of playing M:TG on a console, not to mention this is the ONLY M:TG on a handheld not even the ds homebrew scene has made this and they have had plenty of time to make one. Heh. All they have is a crappy card reader they ripped from Workstation….

13. lattenwald’s avatar

@wololo I am running 5.00 M33-6 firmware on PSP2000 (TA-085 v2).
    Have all game plugins disabled, running gamecategories plugin for xmb.

When installing first time I copied stuff from old Res/player to new installation. Now I removed it an copied original files from 0.12.1 here, and got a change: now buttons are pressed like 3 times instead of 2.

I’ll explore it a bit later, leaving to office atm.

14. limpopokanoah’s avatar

I just can’t come to grips with how long I have been playing this game and how much it has evolved. Not to mention the fact that when I get my Pandora ( pre-order Feb `09) I think this game will live on well past the life of my PSP.

15. lattenwald’s avatar

After fresh reinstall Wagic is working good, no more multiple keypresses. If you want me to do some testing then write to gmail: qalexx, otherwise I’ll just be playing it :)

16. oDoCx’s avatar

wow! been playing the beta version, can’t wait to try this, :D tnx to all the developers, you rock! oooowwyeahh!

17. Pau’s avatar

Thank you very much, but I have a question: Do I can cast and play with ALL Rise of Eldrazi cards (including Eldrazi creatures, totem armors, rebounds…) ?

18. Pau’s avatar

Another question. How can I see ROE cards with images? I’ve got the complete images pack for all colections and have ROE images too ( downloaded in the imagfes theme) and I can’t see ROE images ( ONLY ROE, other images runs very well) Please, answer me.

19. wololo’s avatar

@Pau: no, some cards from ROE cannot be played in Wagic yet. I will update the list of compatible cards in the days to come :)
    Regarding your issues with images, I can’t help you much, just make sure that the names of the images match the id field of the cards in Res/primitives/mtg.txt

20. TheMith’s avatar

Lattenwald, just check your options.txt file in settings, make sure the keybindings are only there once instead of twice.

21. Pau’s avatar

I don’t understand, the keybindings are instead only one…

22. ken’s avatar

Wololo sama, stop spoiling us:)

23. steven’s avatar

Thank you so much for what you did, excellent job!! i just love it!

There is only a tiny mini prolbem which is bother me very much, The update! you see, how do i update from Wagic 0.11 to Wagic 0.12.1 without lossing my decks, my cards and my money in the game? maybe someone asked before, but please please please anwser my question, i really don’t want to give up what i have for this game, i spend so much time on it.

Thanks a lot!

24. EdgeCrusher’s avatar

As always, thank you wololo and the Wagic Team for this awesome game. Another reason for me to donate for this cause.

25. Kier’s avatar

thankyou for the hard work and bringing us yet another update :)

26. Jared’s avatar

@steven Go to Res/Player of the old version and copy your deck, collection and money to the newer version

27. ravine’s avatar

wow! i’ve been waiting for this, finally! thanks a lot wololo.

can i use the other themes from the older one version of wth?

thanks again wololo in advance!

28. Adam’s avatar

I’m having the problem with multiple key presses too. I upgraded from version 10.1. First I installed 12.1 to a new folder and copied my profiles and decks over from 10.1 and the key presses worked fine, but it didn’t let me load my new profile that I used with 10.1 (it loaded my old profile that I used through 9.1 instead). So I copied over the files from my new profile and made them default, and then when I loaded it up again I got the multiple input bug. My options.txt doesn’t list any key bindings twice so that can’t be the problem.

29. wololo’s avatar

@Adam: try a fresh reinstall without reimporting your profiles first. It seems the issue happens only for people who try to get their old data into wagic 0.12. It is probably a problem with profiles actually :/

30. Adam’s avatar

OK, I just did a fresh install and moved my profile stuff into the player directory and I seem to have my latest profile intact with working controls. I guess I should avoid creating a new profile then?

31. koz’s avatar

hello wololo, i got a prob with the ROE set.
    after i unlocked the ROE, all the card i can see at card shop is only land
    and 2 or 3 common card like heatray, demify etc

32. DRAXARD’s avatar

oh cheat !!!
    I love MTG but I cannot play, I’m in 6.20 sniff

33. Pau’s avatar

Its possible to play with Morph cards (Ex: Vesuvan shapeshifter)

34. Pau’s avatar

Its possible to play with Morph cards (Ex: Vesuvan shapeshifter)?

(sorry, I forgot the “?”)

35. skeeter’s avatar

wagic is a good game, so far only problem i have had AT ALL is, when i tried the starwars wagic, my screen was split in 4 and it showed 4 menus, all purple and i couldnt move left or right

36. KimeraFusion’s avatar

Thank you for that superb homebrew (and also for the hbl which allows me to play this game), but I got a problem : I tried three times to buy a Victual Sliver, but it doesn’t appear in the deck editor. Maybe this card bug?
    Also a second bug, there is a card which can summon one token 2/2 bear, and with threshold (at least 7 cards in graveyard) it summons two tokens… But with no cards in my graveyard, it still summons 2 bears…