The long awaited release is finally here! It’s been a while, but don’t worry, as usual, it was worth it! I want to especially thank Dr.Solomat, Salmelo and abrasax for being the real people behind the latest Wagic improvements (guys, many thanks for both your involvement in the code and on the forums!). Also Thanks to Ilya B. For the amazing new graphics!
What is Wagic?
Is it still necessary to introduce Wagic? Often compared to commercial games for its replay value and quality, Wagic is a heroic fantasy card game, in which you fight as a wizard against the computer. As you win battles, you unlock new game modes and earn credits that allow you to improve your army. Wagic is community driven, entirely customizable (you can create themes, mods, even new rules), available in several languages, and open source. It currently runs on the Sony PSP, Windows, and Linux.
Ok, so what’s new this time? Well, lots of new cards (more than 700 new unique cards, which brings the total to more than 10000 playable cards – almost 5500 unique), some new graphics for the default theme, and a “Story mode” in Beta Version. I’ll talk about the story mode below, but let’s start with a full changelog:
- More than 700 new cards, including cards from the new extension Rise of the Eldrazi (you’ll surely love those “level” cards!). Thanks to Dr. Solomat, Salmelo, and everybody contributing with ideas on the forum!
- Additional graphics thanks to Ilya B. (check the cool screenshots above)
- Story Mode (Beta)
- Keywords/Parser updates: the parser now handles counters (thanks Salmelo, this allows to code quest cards and similar things), this/thisforeach, triggered abilities improvements, upkeep cost and similar
- Improved HBL compatibility (you still have to remove the file exception.prx for Wagic to run in HBL)
- The shopkeeper has new tasks for you. Get ready for more challenge and more credits! (thanks daddy32)
- Various language updates (thanks to abrasax and all translators – full credits should be in the language files)
- Countless bug fixes!
This release has a new game mode, the story mode. You can give it a try, you will see that the example stories are actually a simple tutorial and a manual for the game. But these are only here to show you the possibilities that exist with the engine. It is now possible to tell an entire story within Wagic. Want to have epic battles with a cool scenario? Then go to the forums and we’ll help you create your own campaigns. The story mode is still very young, but with everyone’s ideas we plan to make it the “main” mode of Wagic. I’m not a good storyteller, but I’ll definitely improve the code if you need something and have interesting ideas! The story mode already allows the player to choose different paths in the story, earn awards for winning battles. New win conditions can easily be written with the rules engine, so you can even design challenging battles such as “win before the end of the turn”, etc…
The story mode is a completely new way to play wagic, but it’s up to you to turn it into THE way to play Wagic So give it a try and start writing your own campaign!
If you enjoy Wagic, please consider a donation. Thanks in advance!
(Please note that because of the growing size of the archive file, some themes have been removed from the wagic download. These files will be available again soon in a separate file)