Can Half-byte loader run isos?

I was of course expecting it from the start, we’ve received lots of help and great feedback when we released the Half Byte Loader for Patapon, but as usual there’s also a minority of people (who tend to believe they speak for everyone) who are dissatisfied with the idea that the Half Byte loader doesn’t run isos.

The idea is floating on the internet that I am against iso loaders, and that it is why there is no iso loader available for HBL. This is wrong in many ways.

First, I am not especially against iso loaders. I am against piracy but I believe those are two separate things. The fact that they are associated together is not directly my concern. What is true though is that I don’t care about isos. Actually I don’t use my PSP to play commercial videogames, or so rarely that I’m usually fine with the UMD format. In other words, I don’t mind if people code a HEN or an ISO Loader for the patapon exploit, but I won’t work on that myself because I don’t care. So people who contact me with (generally stupid) ideas on how to load ISOs can stop right now, I don’t even read those emails.

Secondly, it is not “because wololo or m0skit0 or ab5000 are against isos on their exploit” that no iso loader is made available through the Patapon exploit. It is because it is not technically doable. Loading isos (probably) requires kernel access and the Patapon exploit is a user mode exploit. Of course, if someone wants to prove me wrong and code an iso loader in user mode, please feel free to do it, I’ll be sure to test it and confirm it.

Finally, ALL videos I’ve seen on youtube so far claiming they have a HEN or an ISO Loader running through the patapon exploit or the Half-Byte Loader are fakes. The only true publicly known (but not available) HEN for the new PSP Models that I know about is the one showcased a while ago by Davee and Team Typhoon. And as many people know, Team Typhoon took the decision to not release this HEN.

Well, the conclusion is “stop believing everything you see on youtube”. A Mobile phone can’t bake popcorns. HBL Can’t run isos.

1. wololo’s avatar

I’ve seen brilliant hackers who were 13 or 14 years old, but I think at the age of 10 you are probably lacking some technical background about programming and computers to be able to code an iso loader or find a kernel exploit.

I can’t make a video because there’s not much to show… to find a kernel exploit, you need a hacked psp, psardumper, and prxtools. if you google for these tools you will find them easily, they are free and open source. But you will probably need to install Linux (or cygwin) on your computer first.

Public information on how to find kernel exploits is quite impossible to find, but it relies on the same tricks as other hacks. Look in google or wikipedia for “buffer overflow”, “fuzzing” and related links. This will give you some general knowledge on hacking, which is necessary to start digging in the PSP kernel.

You also need to know the MIPS assembly language, and some C.

2. Unknown’s avatar

I’ll do that, but I have found the simplest way. I can’t tell you here though, everyone will be waiting for it. I need only a small bit of help from you though. If you are currently at work right now, reply after.

3. Unknown’s avatar

But, here is a fast question, how do I get the sound to work in Picodrive?

4. Unknown’s avatar

Wololo?

5. 1HandPlay’s avatar

What’s the point of isos when the hbl can do more things besides the isos, sure it has some disadvantages but it mostly depend on the way the player uses it JUST take advantage of everything

6. 1HandPlay’s avatar

PS3 fanboys suck xbox rules all the way

1. Smelly Dog’s avatar

As much as I love xbox, PS3 users have the right to use their system without being insulted, stop making a bad name for yourself.
      Also, when did anyone make a comment about a PS3?

7. 1HandPlay’s avatar

there are less options on games due to not as many buttons.

8. 1HandPlay’s avatar

is better to trade a phat black psp with slim star wars white PSP

9. Unknown’s avatar

Hmm… I wonder where Wololo went.

10. Unknown’s avatar

……. Almost done coding ……..

11. Stealth-’s avatar

Wololo, I feel for you, I really do.
    I don’t know how you manage put up with these types of comments.

12. gagex215’s avatar

that wolo guy must had the feds get at him
    if you start out doing this stuff. then turn around and bitch up
    wow !!!this reminds me of the xbox1 and ps2 sellouts
    the same tatics. so sony microsoft,and those we chumps win ?
    emu, homebrew huhhh!! y lie
    just tell the people the truth
    ur now doing a move iam all game company’s do
    keeping the good things to urself
    like team typhoon. right!!!!!! buddy

13. KillMannPsP’s avatar

hi do not know if at all possible ISO games on PSP?? If he had something to do??

14. Amarildo’s avatar

Hello people of Wololo,
    I am Brazilian, I am very happy with the HALF BYTE LOADER, what a shame we will not have an iso loader, I understand your side, i do not know over here in Brazil the UMDs are very expensive, not everyone can buy, I’m totally against piracy , and also to absurd values of UMDs.

Sorry, my English is not very good lol.

15. jaju2u’s avatar

My hidden ver. of the Koen Loader works!

16. Raptros’s avatar

Is it possible to create a pandora with half bite-loader?

17. aishu’s avatar

hay i am also againesd the pirecy
    but the games for psp are tooo coasly
    so to play a game for 4 days(tym to finnish it)
    1 dont lyk to spend that money so we have to care abt isos
    plz work on it
    because all on the other syde of the screene r not hackers
    plzzz work on it its aishwary from india

18. Prayant’s avatar

hey wololo i wanted to know how we can get those XMB themes in my psp 3K
    and how to load plugins please do tell…..

19. killersmod’s avatar

i just baked popcorn :D with a mobile phone powering my microwave :D

20. TobeyDemon’s avatar

my 3001 psp with ofw 6.60, hbl, lvfw pro b10 6.60 has a kernel.prx plugin file kernel exploit & i have an iso loader i signed myself & it works. no crashes & it plyas most games. i ran promethius iso loader before i signed it & hbl & pro b10 both work & perform the iso loader very well.

21. TobeyDemon’s avatar

wow, bust a move iso (that i legally own the disc to! got it to test this) works with promethius iso loader on lcfw, lcfw iso loader, signed, & with hbl. amazing.

22. Srsly’s avatar

seriously? no ISO loader because its against piracy??downloading emulator is already part of piracy, i’m not against anyone here but lol buy expensive gadget to play old games ~_~

23. zed’s avatar

@wololo: damn i always envy you guys. you hackers. you’re like heroes in a huge city. city of gamers. gamers ruled by the sony anarchy and you guys come to save the day. iso pirates want you to work for them and sony’s got their defenses. a never ending super hero movie. lemme know if you need a sidekick. anytime man.

· 1 · 2