Half Byte Loader R79

I’m excited to announce a new revision of Half Byte Loader that brings more compatibility, and some features that people have been expecting for a while. Let’s skip the details, but this revision improves compatibility for picodrive, gpsp (kai 3.2 is the one I used for my tests), and scummVM.

A major change of this revision is a system of config files and override config files. A basic config file hbl_config.txt goes in the hbl folder, and override config files can go in each homebrew’s folder.

Picodrive is a good example because it is the reason I added this functionality. Picodrive uses the function sceIoMkdir to create folders on your memory stick, when it runs. Unfortunately, Patapon does not have that function, which means HBL needs to “estimate” it. If you’ve been using HBL for a while, you now know that estimations sometimes fail. Estimations lead to crashes, crashes lead to anger, anger leads to…errr, nevermind.

But the good thing is: you can manually create these folders, and bypass this function call in Picodrive. This is done with a simple configuration file. You can find this file in hbl_config_samples/picodrive/hbl_config.txt. Just copy it in your picodrive folder, and voilà, picodrive will not crash at that specific point. HOWEVER, there is an important drawback: if you set that specific parameter in the config file, it means the function to create folders will not work anymore. For Picodrive it is not a big deal since you can create them manually, but for other games it might be a problem, which is why I set the system up so that you can tweak the config on a per game basis. For the time being, the config file only allows to play with sceIoMkdir, and also to set your Homebrew path (check hbl/hbl_config.txt), but in the future we might expand this configuration system to improve homebrew compatibility. Of course, feel free to help us with the code on that part!

Hmmm, I guess that’s it, improved compatibility for 3 major homebrews (and probably for others that I haven’t tested), possibility to choose where you put your homebrews, and advanced configuration system.

Enjoy :)

download here

1. Cheeze6661’s avatar

@conkertheking: The HBL does not have kernel access so therefor that is impossible to do. HBL is and will always be just for homebrew apps and emulators. Maybe one day there will be a kernel exploit for 6.XX firmware.

2. wololo’s avatar

@lethal: sed requires kernel access for encryption/decryption I believe, so no.

@conkertheking: please choose your words carefully, I’ve spent the last 3 years of my life developing a homebrew game…
    Also as said many times, HBL does not have kernel access.

3. MuffinHead Smth’s avatar

*grabs conkertheking by the top of his face*

…….*now hurls him into the back of the forum wall. HARD.*

…………………….*now kicks him. He’s not moving…good.*

PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE. THESE PEOPLE DO NOT WORK FOR YOU.
    THIS IS A COURTESY. AND, UNLIKE OTHERS, THE TEAM HERE COULD HAVE SIMPLY MADE THIS FOR THEMSELVES AND BRAGGED ABOUT IT ON YOUTUBE.

Have a great day!

4. crisishell’s avatar

where is Half Byte Loader R80 ?

5. crisishell’s avatar

where is Half Byte Loader R80 ? please upload it wololo

6. wololo’s avatar

crisishell: Generally I only upload my own changes, Or revisions that I have tested long enough to be confident with them. revision 80 was uploaded yesterday by m0skito, so I didn’t have the time to test it completely yet.

7. lethal’s avatar

wololo is there any thing like sed for pc for psp games

8. wololo’s avatar

lethal : no. the Encryption process hasn’t been figured out yet, so a psp is required to do an encryption/decryption of a game

9. Cheeze6661’s avatar

With the noob questions aside, I would like to just give you thanks. To have the homebrew scene coming back to life on the 3K OFW/pspGO is truly amazing. Keep up the hard work. :)

P.S.- Hope to be able to play Wagic on the HBL eventually. I no longer have a CFW psp since decided to go legit but loved Wagic when I did have one. It’s most definitely the best homebrew game to date.

10. WalangAlam’s avatar

Keep up the good work guys. I’m addicted again to Mario and Castlevania. GBA emulator works great! Hope the sound for the Picodrive will be fix.

11. hi’s avatar

i have a psp 3000 slim and lite and i dont know which hbl i need on i tryed 79 but it didnt work
    help me plz!!!!!!!

12. hi’s avatar

Can any1 tell me which hbl i need i have v6.20 psp

13. msp0800’s avatar

you need r79. thats the one i have . can anyone tell me if any gba emulator works on a psp 3k running r79. i have tried the ones suggested but they don’t work
    keep up good work