Merry Christmas – Wagic 0.10.1 released!
Ho ho ho, here’s our present to all Homebrew fans: A new version of Wagic, full of Christmas joy!
We’ve worked very hard in the past two months to fix bugs and add features, so I hope you’ll enjoy this new version. Many thanks go to the people who have given their time for this release, especially Abrasax, Daddy32, Dr.Solomat, Ilya B, J, Jeck, Lakeesha, Leungclj, Psyringe, Yeshua. I also especially want to thank Raphael for fixing the purple screen bug, a bug that had been in Wagic for several months now.
What is wagic?
Wagic is a fan-made heroic-fantasy card game, in which you fight with your army against the computer. As you win battles, you earn credits that allow you to improve your deck and unlock more cards, and extra game modes. Wagic started as a small project, but has grown over the years, and is now often compared to commercial video games for its replay value and its high quality graphics.
Wagic is free, runs on Windows, Linux, and the Sony PSP. It is available in many languages, and fully customizable. you can create your own themes, your own cards, and even your own rules. Because Wagic is community driven and open source, it gets regularly improved with original contents and mods.
It has become difficult for me to summarize a release. It’s not only about new cards anymore, every release seems to bring more new stuff than the previous one! The major new features for this release are the “trophy room” and the “tasks mode”. The trophy room is a cool place where you can see details about all the sets and modes you have unlocked. The tasks mode is a very fun way to get more credits when you play: In the shop, press “start”, and see the “available tasks”. They are usually pretty clear on what you need to do to get extra credits. The tasks require you to build very clever decks that have a very specific purpose, such as winning a battle with insane amounts of life 🙂
Of course, we also added many (many!) cards in this release. Actually, we added as much cards as we could, and Wagic now has more than 5000 cards you can play with, in more than 50 sets.
You think that’d be enough for a new release, but we didn’t stop here. Wagic 0.10.1 has two new themes included: Final Saga by Ilya B (that’s now the default theme), and the Christmas theme by Lakeesha. There are also 50 new opponents, which brings the total of AI decks to 100. Overall, unlocking all the modes/cards and “beating” Wagic should take you a fair amount of time, definitely more than it takes to beat Uncharted 2 😛
And so many other things: ingame music, bug fixes, language selection (no need for international players to wait for a patch anymore)…
- More than 1500 new cards. Wagic now allows you to play with 5149 cards, from more than 50 expansions, including Magic 2010, Zendikar, Revised, Alara, Conflux, shadowmoor,…
- Added a “cheat” mode (don’t ask, I didn’t add it, I can’t tell you how to unlock it 😀 )
- Deck statistics improvements
- Bug fixes with audio
- InGame music
- Language is now an option, no need to wait for patches, you can choose English, German, Italian, French, Spanish, or Portuguese
- New parser abilities: PreventAllcombatDamage, becomes…, horsemanship, myTurnOnly, asSorcery, myUpkeepOnly(and similar…), 0 mana activated abilities now work, equipment, threshold, cycling, protection from(target), nofizzle, autohand, autograveyard
- Minor AI improvements, and bug fixes
- New theme: final Saga (thanks to Ilya B)
- New theme: Christmas (thanks to Lakeesha)
- External rules system now allows you to create your own rules. Check mtg.txt in res/rules 😉
- “Purple Screen of despair” issue solved, thanks to Raphael and Yeshua.
- New feature: Trophy Room
- New feature: Tasks. Get more credits by fulfilling the quests given to you by the shopkeeper!
- hundreds of bug fixes for specific cards
Note for beginners:
Wagic requires you to know the basic rules of the game that inspired it. If it’s you’re first time playing, you might feel that the decks of your opponents are too tough. I suggest in that case to play against the 10 first decks of the “choose opponent” list, as these decks are historically less strong than the other ones. Good luck 😉
Go to the download page
As usual, enjoy Wagic!see here.