Finally! It feels like ages since we last did a release. I hope you waited for us and didn’t throw your PSP away in exchange for a XBox in the meantime
The new version of Wagic is here, and the amount of new stuff that ships with it is simply awesome. I’m glad to say that some talented designers and coders recently joined our small team, dramatically improving a game that was already said to be competing with commercial software in terms of quality and replay value.
So my thanks for this release go to Jhotun (art), Jeck (art and code), Psyringe (decks), Daddy32 (code), and of course the people who have been working on Wagic with me for months now: abrasax, leungclj, Dr.Solomat, and J.
Thanks as well to the people who provide new contents on the forum everyday. You can already grab extra cards in various flavors (Naruto, Final Fantasy,…), and themes to customize your experience.
What is Wagic?
Wagic is an heroic fantasy card game in which you battle against the computer. It is available for the Sony PSP, Windows, and Linux. In Wagic, you create a deck of cards which symbolizes your army, and fight against the AI. As you win games, you earn credits and unlock cards that you can buy in the shop. With better cards, you improve your deck (or create new ones) to beat more AI opponents and unlock other game modes. Wagic is free and open source. It is currently available in English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish.
Ok, so what’s new with this release? Well, the changes that you will most likely see at first are graphical. With the help from professional designers and developers, we got new graphics and a new user interface. Lots of customization features, as well as new cards have been added. Get ready to get some Zendikar action
Full changelog after the cheesy promotion video
- Around 500 new cards. Wagic now allows you to play with more than 3500 cards out of the box. Wagic allows you to play with cards from Zendikar, Magic 2010, and 30 other expansions. This is not counting all the extra content you can get from the forum at http://wololo.net/forum: Naruto, Final Fantasy, and lots of other user-created sets.
- New shop GUI, with original graphics(see the cool screenshots above). Many thanks to Jhotun for the background image!
- New user interface inGame. It is highly customizable, check the options. Wagic now has some smooth animations, you’ll love the new manapool!
- Deck Statistics in the deck editor now show you how well your deck performs against the AI, and various useful information (average mana cost, etc…)
- New Profile and Theme systems to customize your play environment. Check the Jade Theme! Also come to http://wololo.net/forum to get new themes!
- Various card bug fixes
- Deck Editor improved, you can now rename your decks directly in Wagic without an external text editor
- Improved card graphics (Thanks J and Jeck)
- Parser: new keywords (@damaged, @tapped, deathtouch, initimidate, “other” keyword for targets, “this” keyword for targets, kicker, “X” as part of abilities cost, shuffle
- New caching mechanism, no need for you to setup the “size” of your cache anymore, the cache automatically uses as much Ram as possible.
- New cool Game manual, check it out, it teaches you how to play Wagic!
- Small AI improvements
- More than 20 new AI Decks (Thanks Psyringe,Niegen,Abrasax and everyone who contributed)
- Added an exception plugin to prevent the PSP from crashing in case of a bug. Instead, you’ll get a blue screen. (Thanks to Sakya at ps2dev)
- Purple Screen of Despair: If the game has a weird purple look and feel at startup, you just got the Purple Screen of Despair. But don’t trash your PSP yet, there’s hope. We are looking for solutions to this problem, and a few techniques can be found here
- Blue Screen of Death: We recently added an exception handler to avoid your PSP from badly freezing. If you get a blue screen of death, it’s a bad thing because it means you found a bug in Wagic, but it’s a good thing because your PSP didn’t completely crash (so you don’t have to reboot it, and PSP3000 users know how important it is to not reboot their PSPs)
- Check the list of bugs before you report an issue, thanks
Pfew… it’s always hard to summarize two months of work in a few lines… We’ve all given our best to bring you an update to one of the best homebrews out there, and we hope you’ll enjoy it.
Thanks for your support!
If you think this game deserves your love, please consider making a donation, it’ll help me buy a present for my wife (who deserves it for supporting me working on Wagic 24/7). Wagic has much more replay value than most “minis” available on the PSN, so think about it
If you want to support this game, but think homebrews and money shouldn’t be mixed, that’s perfectly fine too: please promote the game on the forums you know, create cards and themes to make the game even better, or submit bug reports. If you’re a C++ Developer, we are always looking for more good devs, so don’t be shy and join us!
On the Download page, as usual
The package contains the Windows, Linux and PSP versions, enjoy!