Playstation Store: worst customer experience ever?

You may also like...

1. Thank you for the nice story.
    I agree Sony is unskillful of the content business.
    For example, They had the digital book for portable device. it’s failed soon.
    It was just an infrastructure, no fun no value point.
    Now they’re tryng to new market like iTMS but nothing changed.
    I feel deplorable that they think only protect to thier rights and money desperately.

2. gdspsp says:

i feel your PAIN… i live in the US, and even have a 2nd 2K model with 5.50 f/w. in my PSN store it shows a “click-able” box for movies, however the link seems broken because nothing loads. i have a ps3 and i know there is a tab you can use to switch to the movies, but the psp PSN seems to lack this. ultimately i still find it easier to buy the DVD/Blu-ray and just convert (now those i can do!!) I think the User interface just is not as friendly it should be. much less i agree with your point about globalization, many people do not live in countries they were born it. digital distribution is a great possibility to still get “products” in one’s native language.

3. boupy says:

Well, leaving in France, I encountered the same problem while trying to find a popular french movie released 2 years ago on french platforms… It’s also like protected games (ex: spore): a pain in the a** for honest buyers… It’s just one piece of the global Human paradox (just have a look at the european elections to see another one…).

4. MrSpud says:

Yep, like the comment above, copy protection for PC games is something only used to annoy legit, honest customers. All, and I mean all PC games get cracked within 24 hours, some with a user friendly batch file to do all the patching for you.

I recall buying PC games in the past and then using a crack so I can avoid the cd-check and so I can install it on more than one PC/laptop.

Let’s take a typical PC game, I would guess 75% of the players bought it and put up with the copy protection, 24% pirated it and never had to worry about copy protection and 1% pirated it but couldn’t get around the copy protection, like the 10 years old kids.

So why bother with it? For the 1% of dummies who didn’t know about the crack? All the legit buyers have to put up with the increasingly annoying copy protections that doesn’t really do anything, since when is it less troublesome to pirate a game then to buy it?

5. NyghtcrawleR says:

I think the PSN store for the most part is easy to work…on the PS3. It is straight forward and I have no qualms with it.

Now I never tried with my psp, so thats another story.

One thing I will say is that I will never touch the PSN video service. It is just not worth it for me. The movies are overpriced for what you get and the limitations on the videos are absurd.

Here is the U.S. I will just stick with netflix and convert my own movies for the psp if I want to.

Plus since I have a ps3 I have to watch me some blurays as the video content on the store just cant compare.

6. RaphaelDDL says:

The thing that lacks in most of companies nowdays is clear:

They do not hired a designer to make a deep study of friendly-interface, with usability and accessibility in mind.

This way, we will always get *** services. Google always hire people that have knowedge of accessibility and usability, because doing messed and/or too complicated stuff will affect the company’s name and image. (I know about that because google in my city is hiring a designer with those knowledges and yeah, i applied xD)

Anyways, thanks for telling us your story, was a great user experience to be reminded as ‘never do such complicated thing’.

regards,
    RaphaelDDL

7. Playstation is the best gaming console that i have owned. Me and my brother are addicted in playing games on Playstation.~.;

8. luisdgc says:

If you think japan or the US are f*cked with DRM and digital content,
    imagine things in mexico,
    whe are really sc*** here

9. VV says:

You are absolutely right. The DRMs sucks and businessmen lacking consideration for customers sucks too.

10. Lone Wolf says:

I’m with you on this man! :)

11. Allex says:

Just the thing, that I can download the movie DVDRip f.e. in 2 minutes from a tracker keeps me downloading from a tracker, neither looking for some more complicated and time wasting process like buying movies from an official store.

Is it really so hard to make an official torrent tracker, where you can buy a movie-game legally? Just add some extra bonuss or discount for those, who are seeding hard and that’s it. You’ll get the biggest store/tracker, less piracy, more speed…

12. Techni says:

While I agree DRM sucks, “Unfortunately, because you are using a Japanese IP Address to access the North American PlayStation®Store, you will not be able to purchase the content that you want such as the movie “Bolt”.”

Is not Sony’s fault, but copyright laws. Sony of America doesnt have the rights to distribute those movies in your area, so they have to do IP filtering

13. wololo says:

@Techni: Sony of America is probably not responsible for this entire mess. But some people at Sony of america were responsible for accepting a DRM mechanism in their store. Some people at Sony of america accepted to sign contracts with companies that try to control the international market with obsolete means.
    Also, obviously, some people at Sony decided to put yet again a region control system in the Blu ray system.

Finally, copyright laws have close to nothing to do with the region controls. Rather than copyright laws, it’s contracts between various companies that prevent sony from selling these contents in various places. These contracts have nothing to do with the law.

14. amogrr says:

hahahaha. What a treasure! Can’t believe I haven’t read this stuff yet!

15. PSPatapon says:

Wololo, i love reading your blog is soo intresting! (:
    And yes sony is very bad… but they make good products!

16. Zodd says:

You are right mate…you see, I live in Brasil, tried to be a “nice guy” too, but the taxes on games here is awful (something like +80% in dollars, you have to double it to convert to our money). So, til today I have a psp 2001 with OFW 6.31…..but my psn account, I had to search some guy’s addres in the internet to have an account, because “in your country theres no service at all” ….and they warn you just after you make an account….pretty ridiculous, but now I’m able to download demos and buy ps1 classics for 5 or 10 dollars.

But I can’t wait to a hen for 6.31 that doesn’t need buying anything (like the patapon exploit for 6.20)….but it seems that’ll be only available in the middle of next year, so, until there, I’ll have to save up some money to buy ONE GAME.

Great critic….too bad sony doesn’t care about other countries’ costumers

17. hblfangirl12345 says:

i have 6.20 wit hbl 101 but i don’t wanna upgrade but i live in Africa i cant buy anything period no games no movies from PS store i hate Sonys ip filtering

18. Ivo says:

I’m from Brazil. I’ve been to England and bought there a psp 3000 (for 300 reais (brazilian currency) less than it would cost here.

I was very happy untill i saw the “movie umd” block.

Now I want to KILL the guy that decided to region block video umds (and dvds.)

Same thing with a Portable DVD I own. It’s from spain and I can’t play original dvds from Brazil.

Sad, uh?

19. What about netfilx or hulu plus? I have lived outside of the States and know what it is like to long for something familiar from home.

1. May 4, 2010

[…] IF you don’t understand why DRMs are evil, you can read one of my old posts on the subject, what happened to me when I tried to honestly rent a movie from Sony’s PSN […]